Re: Heated Bed Upgrade - Guide with Pics/Comparisons/STLs

Make sure when you are taking readings with the ir thermometer that you put a piece of tape on the bed And point it at that.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

2n2r5 wrote:

Make sure when you are taking readings with the ir thermometer that you put a piece of tape on the bed And point it at that.

I thought I read on here that you could read off of glass with an IR thermometer. Will give this a shot, thanks!

E3D-v4 Hotend, MK5 carriage with round plastic wire conduit , 3/16" tempered glass,  Well nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, PowerEdge 2650 500W PS, QU-BD heated bed, circuit board fan, hinged plexiglass enclosure with plastic tray top. Other than that mostly stock SD3

I only brought the bed up to 50-65 so I was certain it was within range.  I checked about 4 different temp settings and the IR reading using blue tape was 20c+ over the thermistor reading.

SD3
200*200 QU-BD pad

E3D-v4 Hotend, MK5 carriage with round plastic wire conduit , 3/16" tempered glass,  Well nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, PowerEdge 2650 500W PS, QU-BD heated bed, circuit board fan, hinged plexiglass enclosure with plastic tray top. Other than that mostly stock SD3

Lawsy, you mention your latest firmware supports the qu-Bd thermistor, do i have to tell the firmware i am using a qu-bd bed? If so how do i do this please?

Staffordknot wrote:

Lawsy, you mention your latest firmware supports the qu-Bd thermistor, do i have to tell the firmware i am using a qu-bd bed? If so how do i do this please?

Set the thermistor type to 80 in Configuration.h

Its commented there in the file what each thermistor type is.. right where you need to change it smile

56 (edited by Staffordknot 2013-06-18 10:09:15)

Urg... Dont even know what config h file is!

Adrain, thanks I've found it, So do i have to alter it then upload it to the sang?

You need to recompile and then upload. Read the firmware doco on the wiki if still stuck. Its all covered.

http://www.soliwiki.com/Updating_Solidoodle_Firmware

http://www.solidoodle.com/how-to-2/how- … -software/

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

You may also like this article:

http://www.soliwiki.com/3D_Printing_Har … ftware_101

It goes through configuration.h as well as other useful things.

Brilliant gents! Thanks again! And again and again!

I think solidoodle should of given lawsy a sd3 for using his firmware!

Well I'm certainly open to the idea.

Great to be part of an awesome community here!

62 (edited by adrian 2013-06-18 14:29:55)

Staffordknot wrote:

I think solidoodle should of given lawsy a sd3 for using his firmware!

Well, Lawsy definitely needs to be congratulated, but I reckon Erik Zalm might take offence at the reference to using 'lawsy's firmware' wink

To set the record straight ; Lawsy made many invaluable changes to the Configuration.h (primarily) of the core Marlin firmware. But thats what it was - Changes to integer values related to Configuration things like Bed Sizes, Tempreatures etc. If you look at the code these days, you'll see references to {SD Patch} in Configration.h and Configuration_adv.h - these are all the mods that primarily lawsy made.

Lawsy also reforked the Marlin source code and re-applied those changes to a later version than what Solidoodle had chosen to work with. The refork and remerge is something thats been done again just recently to facilitate the M600/M601 and Filament Alarm work.

The core firmware that drives things, makes it print, etc etc, is very much the work of the Marlin dev work - Erik Zalm and the many many contributors to the Marlin code (So given Marlin is a Sprinter/Grbl Mashup, then its also thanks to Sprinters and Grbls lead developers smile ) . We ride on their coat tails and simply change a few settings here and there to make it 'work right' on an SD3's dimensions and temps and mechanical setup.

So, absolutely, lawsy should be commended and massively thanked for the contribution in terms of making the changes - and more importantly - posting them publicly back to GitHub and maintaining the repository quite a few of us have made contributions back to; which is something Solidoodle have been more lapse at. Lawsy made that happen for all of us and needs to be thanked.

Lawsy also needs to be hugely thanked for the documentation and back when it was neccesary, Arduino 022 bundles (Despite references still existing, it is no longer a requirement to use Arduino 022 for example.... you can happily use 1.03 or even 1.5)

But in terms of 'code' - what makes the firmware what it is - That is Erik Zalm's and the Marlin teams work, with huge helpings of improvements from Rincewind and Tealvince with their Hysterisis and ZWobble code.

Anyway... I am all for lawsy getting an SD3 for his community work and contributions.. but lets not forget where the firmware code comes from smile

Well i think we all deserve a free machine! Haha

Hmm maybe we should design our own? I say we as i have lots to offer just nothing 3d printer related doh

Adrian summed it up perfectly.

What I did was fairly simple but needed doing because Solidoodle were unwilling/unable/too lazy to do it themselves.

If it were up to them we would still be using a version a couple of years old that has no support for LCDs and none of the z banding fixes our community has worked so hard on.

65 (edited by Staffordknot 2013-06-22 11:17:46)

Hi gents,i've got my qu-bd up and running but i'm still having temperature toubles. I changed the setting to use the qu-bd resister and un commented out the qu-bd pid three lines. But do i need to uncomment any of the other bits talking about bang bang and pid?

I also tried to run the pid auto tune command and it returned a set of values that i then put in the qu bd variables but not sure if this is the right thing to do? It also returned an error at line 113 but seemed to still return pid values

I'm still getting a temperature discrepancy between actual and what repetier is returning of about 15c. (In the centre of the bed) but i'm not sure where the thermistor is located.

I'm not impressed with the evenness of the temperature. The front edge is 20 degrees lower at 2cm in.

Also the print stuck so well that it pulled the face of the glass off! I think its more likely it fractured from the heat but not sure see the pic! You can see the 2cm square bit, the shiny bit is just really shiny. I used a acetone mix glue which sticks very well but u have to cool the bed down to get it off

The bed heating up so quick is such a pleasure though, taken so much of the frustration out of printing.... Need better glass next!

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.48 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I got my new IR thermometer in yesterday. I'm seeing ~20c difference between the center and outside of the pad. I had a hard time removing prints as well unless they were completely cooled. Switched from ABS glue to hairspray and it seems to be working better. So far my 3/16 tempered glass is holding up fine, but I am starting to have an issue with layer separation. Could this be from the bed? I also changed my hotend from my spare to the original. Same exact hotend so I haven't re-calibrated the feed rate or anything as I would expect this to be the same?

Krythis wrote:

I got my new IR thermometer in yesterday. I'm seeing ~20c difference between the center and outside of the pad. I had a hard time removing prints as well unless they were completely cooled. Switched from ABS glue to hairspray and it seems to be working better. So far my 3/16 tempered glass is holding up fine, but I am starting to have an issue with layer separation. Could this be from the bed? I also changed my hotend from my spare to the original. Same exact hotend so I haven't re-calibrated the feed rate or anything as I would expect this to be the same?

Layer separation comes from the print cooling unevenly. The best fix for that is to make a build chamber around your solidoodle. 

It is always a good idea to run the PID tuning when switching hot ends. Even when they are the same model. (they may have used a different heating element)

SD3 w/ mods:

I'm using an acrylic enclosure with party tray cover. I haven't done any PID tuning or firmware modification at all, guess it's time to get to that =\

Could just be a dodgy roll of filament. Try turning up the temperature 5 degrees.

Temp evenness was covered in the original post so shouldn't be a surprise.

Krythis wrote:

I'm using an acrylic enclosure with party tray cover. I haven't done any PID tuning or firmware modification at all, guess it's time to get to that =\

Where did you get that party tray?

71 (edited by adrian 2013-06-24 08:35:39)

FatalDischarge wrote:
Krythis wrote:

Where did you get that party tray?

Link is right at the top of:
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/1306/cus … osure-mod/

I did the wiring as shown, but for some reason I get constant power going to the MK2a PCB.  So, essentially the power control to the bed through Repetier is useless.  Could I have burned out the transistor during the soldering process?  I had tough time getting the jumpers soldered to connection points, so I had the heat applied to the board for quite a while at times.  Also, once I get the bed leveled is there a way to adjust the z-min position other than the Z-Screw.  If not I may have to get a longer screw to hit the switch due to the added height of new bed and platform I made.

Sorry to kick up a kind of old thread, but seems like a bunch of people have been trying to upgrade their beds as well.
So it might help a few people out... Maybe this should be stickied..

But anyway, regarding the Solidoodle heated pad, did it do any better than the original resistor set up or is it about the same?

I want to upgrade my bed and would rather not have to upgrade the power supply and anything else if i don't have to.
So if its not a significant improvement from the original I'll probably not even consider it.

74 (edited by adrian 2013-11-05 09:50:40)

MeshMoth wrote:

Sorry to kick up a kind of old thread, but seems like a bunch of people have been trying to upgrade their beds as well.
So it might help a few people out... Maybe this should be stickied..

But anyway, regarding the Solidoodle heated pad, did it do any better than the original resistor set up or is it about the same?

I want to upgrade my bed and would rather not have to upgrade the power supply and anything else if i don't have to.
So if its not a significant improvement from the original I'll probably not even consider it.

Don't consider it. certainly not worth going from useless to mediocre anyway.

If you want to speed up the bed significantly, you need to switch to a far more appropriately powered heated bed, which as the solidoodle supplied power supply is already ran at its hard upper limit, is not going to happen without changing the power supply. But this isn't an issue - you can buy the meanwell PSUs for around ~$30 that are identical to the current Solidoodle PSU's in terms of 'brick' construction, but have the required 25A+...

If its a problem - fix it properly by spending the $50 to get a QU-BD + decent PSU... Otherwise.. forget it.. everything else is just a bandaid.

+1 on the party tray from amazon. Got the 12"x12" one for the SD3 and it fits great. with plexi sides it actually looks like its a factory enclosure.