Topic: Soliprint failure

Hi Guys.

I am new to pretty much everything here and have tried to get the software to work on an old XP SP2 machine. I tried all three versions of the software, and they install but don't run. Can someone suggest why not? Is there another software option for a machine as old as this or do I need to splash some cash on windows 10? I would rather not as the hardware in the box probably won't support 10!! Is there a patch I can just download?

Any advice or assistance would be appreciated. I have been trying to make sense of all the info out there, but there seems to be no single FAQ repository to refer to that I can thus far find.

Daniel.

2 (edited by Kronikabuse 2018-04-25 16:28:07)

Re: Soliprint failure

ditch it and get repetier https://www.repetier.com/

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

Thanks. Unfortunately, that requires .NET 4. I am still learning what that involves on an old XP, but it is not connected to the net atm. I think install requires a net connection. Would rather not go there with this machine...

Then I would recommend to go to a reliable computer like one at a friend or family members residence, download the files for Repetier-Informer onto a thumb drive, then install.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

.net4 framework is not "internet" related... it is a programming framework used by certain programs - there are multiple versions of it - just like with any other program.

you can download it directly from Microsoft - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet … windows-xp

you may, or may not be able to install on your current PC...

That said, I personally would try to get my hands on a Win7 machine if the XP box will not do what you need it to do

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

6 (edited by krazy4gone 2018-04-26 00:02:42)

AZERATE wrote:

Then I would recommend to go to a reliable computer like one at a friend or family members residence, download the files for Repetier-Informer onto a thumb drive, then install.

That is exactly what I did. When unpacked on XP is asks for an internet connection.

heartless wrote:

.net4 framework is not "internet" related... it is a programming framework used by certain programs - there are multiple versions of it - just like with any other program.

you can download it directly from Microsoft - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet … windows-xp

That said, I personally would try to get my hands on a Win7 machine if the XP box will not do what you need it to do

It would be easier I think. Seems I almost have to build a custom machine to simply get the software to operate what might not even work anyway. It is a secondhand machine as it is.....days lost already trying to work out what is needed, then attempting installs, and various combinations....

krazy4gone wrote:
heartless wrote:

It would be easier I think. Seems I almost have to build a custom machine to simply get the software to operate what might not even work anyway. It is a secondhand machine as it is.....days lost already trying to work out what is needed, then attempting installs, and various combinations....

You can get a cheap laptop running 7 or even 10 for $150 to $200 on ebay. Even less if you don't mind it being beat up but still working. I ran my printer using a tablet running Win10 with no issues. Just plug the tablet and printer into a USB hub. That tablet was $70.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:
krazy4gone wrote:
heartless wrote:

You can get a cheap laptop running 7 or even 10 for $150 to $200 on ebay. Even less if you don't mind it being beat up but still working. I ran my printer using a tablet running Win10 with no issues. Just plug the tablet and printer into a USB hub. That tablet was $70.

Yes, I put together a RaspberryPi for that reason, but getting that to operate with the Soliprint and learning how to do all the programming required is another bloody nightmare!!

If you have a pi, get Octoprint. Easy to setup and it will do everything.

justsomeguy wrote:

If you have a pi, get Octoprint. Easy to setup and it will do everything.

I don't want to network the pi. I am happy to simply dedicate it to the printer. I want to configure it as a stand-alone system. I don't know how to load it to do that.

you can run octoprint on the pi itself. just hook a monitor or touch screen to it to view.

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

13 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-04-26 11:45:17)

Not to be rude, but it sounds to me that you just want the printer to print and not be bothered by the software or any thing else. If that's the case you have picked the wrong hobby. These printers and software do not work that way and will always need tweaking and playing around with settings. Every time you switch to a new spool of filament even if it is the same brand and color you will have to re-calibrate the printer. We have given you multiple suggestions but you have shot down or had an issue with each. So at this point you seem to be cutting yourself off from help and shooting your own foot.

You also where never really clear on how exactly the software is failing to run. Is it giving any errors? Are all your drivers upto date? Does the computer meet the minimum requirements? Does the video support OpenGL which most of these printer host require?

The Pi with a touch screen and Octoprint would work, but you have to install Octoprint.

A new Laptop is cheap and would work as well with Repetier. But again requires some install and setting up on your part.

Soliprint is an old and outdated program and should just be ignored. But that again is in your ballpark.

So the jist of all this is, what are you going to do to make this work?

Kronikabuse wrote:

you can run octoprint on the pi itself. just hook a monitor or touch screen to it to view.

Apparently I have to put it onto the SD card to load it, but that has the OS on it....I don't know how to partition the drive if it is needed. I have watched the video on how to load octoprint, but don't understand coding at all so got lost pretty quick.

I guess, if there is no real "Step 1, do "X". "Step 2 do "Y" then I will bid you all a good day. It is all well and good to say "load octoprint"......but if I have no clue how to begin, I guess this forum is not for me.

heartless wrote:

Thanks. I did try to load it, but the very first thing it did was ask for an internet connection...

carl_m1968 wrote:

Not to be rude, but it sounds to me that you just want the printer to print and not be bothered by the software or any thing else. If that's the case you have picked the wrong hobby. These printers and software do not work that way and will always need tweaking and playing around with settings. Every time you switch to a new spool of filament even if it is the same brand and color you will have to re-calibrate the printer. We have given you multiple suggestions but you have shot down or had an issue with each. So at this point you seem to be cutting yourself off from help and shooting your own foot.

You also where never really clear on how exactly the software is failing to run. Is it giving any errors? Are all your drivers upto date? Does the computer meet the minimum requirements? Does the video support OpenGL which most of these printer host require?

The Pi with a touch screen and Octoprint would work, but you have to install Octoprint.

A new Laptop is cheap and would work as well with Repetier. But again requires some install and setting up on your part.

Soliprint is an old and outdated program and should just be ignored. But that again is in your ballpark.

So the jist of all this is, what are you going to do to make this work?

Thanks for the advice re Soliprint. I understand things will need constant tweaking. I am happy to do that, once I can actually get a program loaded onto the SD card or whatever is required. The problem is, I simply don't understand how to load Octoprint to the Pi. There are no clear instructions that I can find for someone who does not do code.

I bought an xyz printer instead. It is supposedly plug and play.

17 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-04-26 22:11:01)

Good luck on that XYZ. They are not plug and play. That is just a sales pitch. The only plug and play printer I know of are the $2500 Formlabs SLA printers. Most people myself included that have bought an XYZ has either sold it or have done massive mods like a complete controller swap and then sold it.

I can only think of one person here that will stand by XYZ.

I bought an xyz printer instead. It is supposedly plug and play.

Yes good luck with that IMHO worse than any soidodle i have ever seen and just as steep if not steeper learning curve and more hurdles.
As far as octipi you just need the right hardware and follow the tutorials that are available. No real coding involved.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

krazy4gone wrote:
heartless wrote:

Thanks. I did try to load it, but the very first thing it did was ask for an internet connection...

If it asks for an internet connection, then you did not download the full program - you must have downloaded just the installer, which does require an internet connection to finish downloading the program.

As has already been suggested, a cheap used laptop running Win7 would be the "ideal" - Win10 would probably be ok, but I have heard that there are sometimes compatibility issues with some things. XP is so far out of support that you will most likely have issues trying to run much of anything on it.

But yeah, whatever..

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

heartless wrote:

If it asks for an internet connection, then you did not download the full program - you must have downloaded just the installer, which does require an internet connection to finish downloading the program.

As has already been suggested, a cheap used laptop running Win7 would be the "ideal" - Win10 would probably be ok, but I have heard that there are sometimes compatibility issues with some things. XP is so far out of support that you will most likely have issues trying to run much of anything on it.

But yeah, whatever..

So, I got repetier to load on the XP. Seems if you want to lad it without internet server support. which allows you to ipload the gcode to the web and do other tasks on your own machine while the item prints, you simply uncheck the "load repetier server" box during the install process.

Pretty easy really, and something I would have thought could have been explained by someone here than more knowledgable than I was two days ago.

Also, simply ran the .NET4 framework installer on the XPSP2 machine, (witouht internet support) and it restarted and boots up repetier just fine. But after all that, repetier does not "see" the printer.

The machine instaled a driver from it's usb library for a port named "teeny USB" when I plugged in the printer, however the repetier program can't see it.

I have the printer parameters set to "serial connection" and "auto detect software" but I have a feeling I have to rejig the printer software now so it can "talk" to the pc properly.

More searching the net I guess.

Tell RH what com port the printer is on?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

22 (edited by heartless 2018-04-30 00:17:54)

krazy4gone wrote:
heartless wrote:

But yeah, whatever..

So, I got repetier to load on the XP. Seems if you want to lad it without internet server support. which allows you to ipload the gcode to the web and do other tasks on your own machine while the item prints, you simply uncheck the "load repetier server" box during the install process.

Pretty easy really, and something I would have thought could have been explained by someone here than more knowledgable than I was two days ago.

Also, simply ran the .NET4 framework installer on the XPSP2 machine, (witouht internet support) and it restarted and boots up repetier just fine. But after all that, repetier does not "see" the printer.

The machine instaled a driver from it's usb library for a port named "teeny USB" when I plugged in the printer, however the repetier program can't see it.

I have the printer parameters set to "serial connection" and "auto detect software" but I have a feeling I have to rejig the printer software now so it can "talk" to the pc properly.

More searching the net I guess.

Personally, I have never downloaded Repetier Server - ever. But perhaps it now it all comes bundled together.. I still use v1.0.6 myself.

you do need to tell RH what COM port the printer is on - "Auto Detect" does not work here.
To find that out (if you don't already know), you want to go to the "Control Panel" > "System", then select the "Hardware" tab, then click on "Device Manager"
(alternatively, i believe you can right click the "Computer" icon and select "Manage", then "Device Manager" from there - been a while since I have used an XP box)
go down the list to where it says Ports (COM & LPT) - click on the + next to that to expand the menu
With the printer powered up, you should see it listed as "Teensy USB" - make note of the COM number that is associated with that device.

In RH, under "Config" > "Printer Settings" you need to set it to the matching COM port - do NOT leave it on Auto - it will not "automatically" connect.
You will also need to tell RH the printer's print volume size - width, depth, height

Starting routine should go something like this...
Power on Printer, start RH, Connect, go to the manual tab in RH, and "home all" - at that point, you will be ready to preheat, load a model, slice it, etc...

23 (edited by krazy4gone 2018-04-30 04:16:02)

Thanks Heartless. Finally, a concise answer that actually is a workable solution.

I got that the RH needs to see the right port, however, I tried all three settings in the list and still nothing. I will look through the device tree and see if I can see the teensy usb listed tomorrow.

While plugging and unplugging the printer to try and get the com port list to change, I noticed a blue arc between the outer of the connection cable and the frame of the solidoodle. Methinks this is not normal.....

It only arced for a moment. I was unsure of what I saw the first time, so brushed it against the frame again, and noticed a draw down of current to the fan and lights on the printer. Perhaps the board is fried??

Also, while jigging around with it I noticed there is an SD card slot on the solidoodle main board. Does it need to have a card onboard to operate? I tried placing the card from the Pi into it, but may have to format it???? Not sure.

Thanks again for your assistance and guidance.

Daniel.

24 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-04-30 10:26:02)

This may be a really silly question but do have your printer hooked to a power supply and turned on??
also what model printer do you have? This could help us help you as well.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

no, the SD card is not needed for the printer to operate.

As Tin mentioned, you do need to have a power supply hooked up to the printer and powered on - it will not function correctly with just the USB hooked up. The stock power supply for the Solidoodle is similar to one for a laptop, only larger.. it is a large "brick" with cords attached at both ends.. one plugs into the wall, the other (removable) plugs into the printer with a barrel connector.

and no, you should not be getting "sparking" of any kind from the USB cable when plugging it in - this concerns me.

And yes, knowing exactly which version of Solidoodle you have would be very useful for us to help you sort things out...

SD2 = 6"x 6" bed, no sides - control board on back
SD3 = 8"x 8" bed, no sides - control board on back
SD4 = 8"x 8" bed, fully enclosed, metal sides & top, plastic door - very square frame - control board inside a box on left inside

Press = has more plastic around it from my understanding - very rounded frame

Workbench - much larger frame, dual print-heads (i think)

a picture of the printer would help us determine exactly what you have