Re: Soliprint failure

You can always model in the house on good pc then put the STL on a thumb drive and take it out to the XP machine. If the machine is really as old as you say then 3d modeling is going to be slow on it and pushing it.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

completely agree with Carl re modeling on the XP box...

3d modeling is a huge resource hog - processing power and gobs of RAM are essential to be able to do more complicated items.
You may get by ok on the XP box for something simple, but beyond that... hmm 
XP will only recognize up to 4GB of RAM. My Win7 box has 12gig of usable RAM and at times that is not enough.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

53 (edited by krazy4gone 2018-05-14 12:14:13)

Well, I managed to get a test cube to print tonight....hoorah. I had a false start with one of the files from thingyverse.....the XP did not like it but a restart seems to have sorted it. There are still some kinks to work out with the settings but I want to thank heartless and everyone who has helped so far. I would not have been able to do this on my own. I have added a pic of the two cubes I printed. Curiously, the first one (the left one) is better. I have to have a look at the dimensions again as the walls are too thin I think. There is some discrepancy between the walls as well but one thing at a time.

I have noticed the bed skews off to the side a little each time there is a direction reversal of the extrusion head so I had a hunt through my shed and found a small shaft out of an old sewing machine I think I can use as a vertical brace to prevent the swinging. This might prevent the chaffing seen on the back sides of the cubes, as the front corners were perfect. It will take me a few days to make this adjustment, but I will post some pics of the change.

Post's attachments

IMG_20180514_220422[1].jpg
IMG_20180514_220422[1].jpg 1.01 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Get a digital caliper if you dont have one already. You need to to calibrate youre extrusion multiplier to get the correct amount of material extruded

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

I have been cleaning the shed to find exactly that!! It took me a week or so to find it....And when I did I forgot where to put the numbers into. I don't think it is that though or wouldn't it be that all the corners and edges would be smudged? Some are real crisp while others, especially where the printhead reverses direction, are not. I will strengthen the bed first then retry the cube to gauge the effect of just that before altering anything else.

there is a super easy to make front brace for the Solidoodles on thingiverse...you will need a couple of bearings, and something to support them - the directions call for carbon fiber rod, but I used a piece of brass tubing I had on hand. I have this on both of my SD4s.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:195266

for a pretty good digital caliper, I can highly recommend this one:
https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-Electron … rds=ez+cal

it gives 3 different readouts, including mms & decimal inches, and actual fractions of an inch. Uses a common CR2032 battery, and does come with a spare battery in a case. I have had mine since shortly after getting the 1st 3d printer and love it.

Calibration starts with making sure the machine is feeding in exactly what you ask it for.
If you ask it for 50mms, it should be feeding in 50mms - not 47, not 54 - but 50.
The stock Solidoodle settings typically have it feeding in way too much.

if you want more info on how to do get things calibrated correctly, just ask.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

57 (edited by krazy4gone 2018-05-15 04:11:35)

Thanks heartless. I am going to go with the parts from the sewing machine. I am confident that it will do what I need. I followed your blog posts regarding calibrating the feed rate and have it feeding correctly. I think it is the nozzle pressure that needs winding back. The second print was with 10 degrees lees on the printhead, and it made some difference but I had to hold the bed with my finger while it was printing to try to prevent the smudging. I will know more with some more fiddling about.

There is also the feedrate and flowrate to adjust. It may be the flowrate is too high. I think it is that the filament is being squeezed out of the nozzle after a print command ends but I have not done any "air printing" to observe this.

Any ideas on how to go about this? Is there a thingiverse command set to observe the filament injection rest period flow rate or could I simply set the bed low and feed a little filament through and observe the nozzle for "dribbling" between feed commands and then adjust the feedrate until it stops leaking between injection commands?

58 (edited by heartless 2018-05-15 13:39:02)

you are probably going to think I am nuts, but if you are using the manufacturer recommended temps, turn the temperature down... by a fair bit.

the stock Solidoodle hotend is not accurate as far as temps go - the placement of the thermistor is the reason why. Before swapping my stock hotend for the E3D, my temps were running about 40-45 degrees lower than most "recommended" temps. For PLA it was between 160-165C - not the 200-210C that most use. Overheating will also cause major "drooling".

There is a relatively simple way of calibrating for temperature using a very simple, single wall tall tower. (the single wall is achieved through slic3r settings - it is not modeled.)

using the attached temp calibration tower, which is 20mm x 20mm x 100mm tall (and can also be used for filament calibrations, just don't print the entire thing - kill the print at about 4-5mm tall) you will need to make a few adjustments in Slic3r print settings.

Layers and Perimeters
    Layer Height
        Layer Height: 0.2963 (not 0.3 - this is due to the use of a 5/16” threaded rod vs metric)
        First Layer Height: can be same as above
    Vertical Shells
        Perimeters: 1
        Spiral vase: unchecked
    Horizontal Shells
        Solid Layers - Top: 0,  Bottom: 1 or 2
    Quality - uncheck everything except “Detect Thin Walls”
    Advanced
        Seam Position: Nearest
        External perimeters first: unchecked
Infill
    Fill Density: 0
    Fill Pattern: (should be greyed out)
    Top/Bottom fill pattern: Rectilinear

If you have gone through the blog posts about calibration you should have the basics for this part down.

to do the temperature calibration, you will want to go ahead and slice the tower with the correct settings.
Once it has finished slicing, you will need to go into the g-code and do a bit of editing.

In RH, on the Preview window, there should be a tab that says "G-Code Editor" - click on that.
you should see something that looks like this:

http://soliforum.com/i/?7OqvYhP.jpg

Dont be intimidated by it, yes it is a lot of code if you scroll through it, but it is actually pretty easy to navigate.

1st, decide how often you want to change temps - I would suggest every 15-20 layers
On a piece of paper, jot down layer heights that you want to change temps at...

Lets say every 20 layers, you want to change the temp 5 degrees Celsius, so your list will look something like this

1-20 - starting temp - 200C
21-40 - 195C
41-60 - 190C
61-80 - 185C
and so on...

Using the layer tool at the bottom of the screen, you can type in the layer you want in the "First Layer" box, then click the button (that says "First Layer" and it will jump to that layer in the g-code. Notice where the cursor is - that is the beginning of layer 21. Also note the color changes on the left side (alternating light green & dark green) - each time the color changes is a new layer.

http://soliforum.com/i/?6nSpxyY.jpg

Now, click on the last line of the previous layer (at the end in empty space) to move the cursor up, then hit "enter" this will insert a new line for your temperature edit - should look like this at this point...

http://soliforum.com/i/?cmZrVij.jpg

in that line type the following: M104 Sxxx (xxx is the temperature you want to change to - if you are starting at 200, this number would be 195, so your line would actually read M104 S195)

Note: you MUST use Capitol Letters when editing G-code, or it will not be read correctly.

repeat the procedure for each temperature change you want to make - enter the layer number you want, hit the button, add your temp edit.

when you have finished editing, you are ready to print, there is nothing else you need to do.. Set your starting temperature, heat up and hit the print button.. it should automatically change the temperature when it gets to the layers the temp changes have been added to.

If the temp gets low enough that the print starts to fail, kill it.

If the print finishes, remove it, and carefully look it over - you should be able to see where the temp changes occurred in good light.. you may want to mark the boundary of the temp changes with a marker so you can figure out which temp is best.
Test the layer adhesion by pulling at the layers.. if they separate easily, it is too cold. if they wont separate without serious effort, it is still to hot. It should take a little bit of effort to separate the layers.

If none of the temps seem right, repeat the process with new temp changes... starting with a lower temp than before and working your way down until you get it where it should be.

Post's attachments

temp calibration tower.stl 1.06 kb, 2 downloads since 2018-05-15 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thanks heartless.
I figured the temp was too high. I have never read anything about temps and layer adhesion before, but when pulling on the walls of the test cube they are very solid. No way I can release them.
I am a welder, (well, have been) and know something about mig welding processes. I also have some plastic welding experience. Seems to me like layering plastic is a similar thing.
I had already started to turn down the heat but this was overall heat and it is difficult to judge the effect. I had started at 195 and went to 190. Probably too small an increment to effectively judge changes, especially with a multi-run wall. I had also looked at the g-code wondering where the temp settings were. M104 is temperature request for the log? And Sxxx is set temperature?

I wonder if there is a g-code for idiots book I could grab somewhere....lol

Anyway, I will be doing the advised exercise as soon as possible to determine the best temperature. I have a non-contact thermometer I can use to measure the heat of the tip for cross referencing.

What is your advice re: Flowrate adjustments?

I had some time in the shed last night on the old xp with some tutorials for freeCAD I downloaded and transferred across. The machine is coping so far, but when the object begins to get too large it is probably going to begin slowing down. When and if it gets to that stage (the object I have in mind to build first is not complex) I will be looking into getting another pc. The xp is an old one from my local high school so it has some pretty high end stuff in it for it's era but how long it will cope with the processing demands of 3D modelling is unknown by me.

60 (edited by heartless 2018-05-16 00:02:07)

i dunno about a "G-code for Idiots" guide, but there is a wiki for them: http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

M104 - Set Extruder Temperature
Sxxx - the desired temp

So after rigging up the bed stabiliser I did another test print of the small square. Much better resolution but still smudged at three corners. So I wound back the flow rate from 100 to 90 and three corners came good with only one a little smudged. Better.
However now I am sure the head only is moving I took some measurements of the finished product and it seems one wall, (not sure which one yet as it was late and I forgot) has 0.6 mm extra thickness compared to the opposite one which is 0.6mm under 2.2mm.
The outside measurement is also 0.6mm under 20mm on this plane.
I am thinking it may have something to do with the screw pitch calculations for the end-stop. I haven't put the -4mm into the "zero" field on the printer settings yet. (I think it is that tab, I will have another look at it tonight).

Also haven't run the temp calibration square with differing extruder temps yet but did a short test print of the original g-code. Is it normal for the mesh to be incomplete is places?

I will have time to upload some pics tonight.

Thanks.

what do you mean - "is it normal for the mesh to be incomplete in places?"
how, specifically, is it incomplete?

also, if you have not yet done the calibrations outlined in the links I gave you several posts back, you should really start there.. you should not need to turn flow rates down while printing. Proper calibration is a key component to getting good prints. That and proper temperature.
Don't worry so much about trying to fix the "smudged" corners until you get things properly calibrated.

We have another one of these guys here that likes to do things in addition to what is asked so it makes it very hard to help him when you have no clue what he has done and if he has done what you asked.

Please people, if you want help then please do and only do the things that those helping you ask. Most of us follow a troubleshooting flow that helps us eliminate possible issues. Once we know those are not an issue we move on.

But when you do other things or don't do exactly what we ask we are left with nothing to move forward with because we have no clue what you did or did not do.

So long story short, when asking for help only do what the person helping you ask. If you are too impatient to wait for a reply then don't expect the help to last too long unless you tell them everything you did and why.

Nit trying to bash anyone. You all just need to understand that with 3D Printers there is a process of elimination that must be followed when troubleshooting and it must be taken one step at a time.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.