Re: Soliprint failure

Hi. The printer is plugged in to a power supply, yes. Hence the lights and fan dropping down when the outer shield of the usb cable contacted the chassis. It is a solidoodle 3. Putting the SD card in it made no difference.

I will put a multi-meter across the chassis of the printer to a ground and determine whether there is a leak somewhere or if it is on the pc board. Doubtful that it is the pc though. Does anyone know what the outer casing of the USB cable is? Is it an earth or a floating ground?

27 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-04-30 21:37:52)

krazy4gone wrote:

Hi. The printer is plugged in to a power supply, yes. Hence the lights and fan dropping down when the outer shield of the usb cable contacted the chassis. It is a solidoodle 3. Putting the SD card in it made no difference.

I will put a multi-meter across the chassis of the printer to a ground and determine whether there is a leak somewhere or if it is on the pc board. Doubtful that it is the pc though. Does anyone know what the outer casing of the USB cable is? Is it an earth or a floating ground?

The outer shell is DC and signal ground for the USB signal and 5vdc supplied in it's line.

Sounds to me like your case is not tied to earth ground through the power supply or the electrical cable from the wall to the supply.

If your supply is a wall wart rather than an actual brick type supply then you need to run a wire from the ground of the controller PCB to the case so that everything is on the same ground. Hopefully it's not a home wiring issue and your outlets are actually tied to earth ground like they should be.

For the RAMPS boards you really want to use a brick type supply that has the green wire from the AC outlet connected to it and then an addition wire from your case connected to that same green wire as well. That way in case there is an internal short in your power supply that allows mains to short over to output it will be passed to ground instead of having 120 VAC sitting on your case just waiting to be touched.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

28 (edited by krazy4gone 2018-04-30 22:57:19)

I found the power issue. It was the end of the LED strip touching the chassis. 12 volt dc was going to it. Yes, it is a brick type power supply.

Also found the usb port listed as com13 in the pc.  Made the shift in RH but no change. What is the firmware on the printer likely to be if it was using the solidoodle operating parameters? Perhaps that is it? I see there is a setting for that in RH.

How do I reprogram / check the firmware/software of the printer?

I have tried to use the software from solidoodle but it does nothing. I load it onto the computer, click on the icon and nothing happens so I have uninstalled it.

How do I reprogram / check the firmware/software of the printer?
You can check firmware though Repiteir . but you can not do anything until you get the computer to connect with the printer.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

what board does it have?

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

http://soliforum.com/i/?qDud5pN.jpg

It looks like it is the version 3 board. I can't seem to work out how to get good shots of text with this cheap phone yet. Tried a few different things but nothing works. This is the best I can do. It is a high res image, so perhaps someone can clean it up if they know how and need to. I don't know how.

The videos here (https://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/20 … tier-host/) have a different version of RH to me also, possibly a paid version? and I can't find the reset button on the board to use when reprogramming the firmware as advised in the video.

krazy4gone wrote:

http://soliforum.com/i/?qDud5pN.jpg

It looks like it is the version 3 board. I can't seem to work out how to get good shots of text with this cheap phone yet. Tried a few different things but nothing works. This is the best I can do. It is a high res image, so perhaps someone can clean it up if they know how and need to. I don't know how.

The videos here (https://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/20 … tier-host/) have a different version of RH to me also, possibly a paid version? and I can't find the reset button on the board to use when reprogramming the firmware as advised in the video.

Here is a better image and the reset is the black jumper near the processor that says BOOT. Your is missing the jumper as it should be if it is running.

http://soliforum.com/i/?ag31HjL.png

Ok. So should I find a jumper jack and attempt reprogramming or is there a way to call up the board firmware on the pc that is simple for a nooby like me?

34 (edited by heartless 2018-05-01 01:31:14)

LOL, close enough - it is very obvious to us that is the Solidoodle Printrboard, Rev E

not the best board out there, but not the worst, either.

ok, so lets back up for a minute - the printer COM shows up in Device Manager, correct?

but you can't seem to get RH to connect?

Do this - go into device manager (with printer powered on so you can see the COM port)
Right click on the device and select "Properties"
that will open a new window, in that window, click on the "Port Settings" tab - take a screen shot of that window
You may need to adjust some of the settings in there - #1 being the "bits per second" setting... that setting needs to match between the printer's firmware, the computer COM port and RH settings.
Most likely the firmware is set to 250,000 bps - that said, the computer and RH both need to be set to that rate. (RH calls it Baud Rate, but it is the same thing)

I am including a couple of screen grabs for you so you can see what I am talking about (i run win7, so yours may look a little different) I have highlighted the relevant bits in a red box.

Device Properties

http://soliforum.com/i/?trbFwN6.png

RH Printer Settings

http://soliforum.com/i/?K6uHQSr.png

as a side note - if you click on the "advanced" button in the Properties window, you can change the COM port to pretty much anything you want, as long as it does not say "already in use".
I have mine set up on specific ports so that other devices can not "steal" the port when they get plugged in.

(and yes, I have my baud rate turned down - it works for me)

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

35 (edited by krazy4gone 2018-05-01 01:56:41)

Thank you Heartless. That got it.....I also found the "connect" button in RH!! But I don't think it was active until the parameters matched, because I think I hit it before and it did nothing. That's the trouble with jigging around with this kind of thing over an extended period.....you forget what you have tried and what you have not.

At first it didn't work, until I re-booted the software.

Anyway, now to do a first print....apparently the extruding head was damaged by the previous owner but that one can print a replacement.....can you point me to the g-codes for that? I will be testing and cleaning up the run rails before I go too much further as it has been sitting on the bench for years....He advised me that it does print, but that it needs a new part to print reliably....Haven't even looked at it yet.

I will strip down the printhead and take some shots of what has broken to identify the parts required.

Thanks a million.

36 (edited by krazy4gone 2018-05-01 03:21:21)

So.

Spent a little time cleaning it and getting it to slide properly without chattering. Lubed up the rails with some PTFE spray. Heated up the bed. Seems fine. (It came with a piece of glass on the bed...is that to stop the plastic sticking to the bed)? Heated up the extruder and withdrew the small piece of filament left in there.

Hit the home button and the X axis puts the nozzle out to the left of the bed. Is there a solution for this? Pic shows the issue. I looked for an assembly fault but can't see one.

http://soliforum.com/i/?ENSF9o8.jpg

Also, upon pressing home on either the X or Y axis and then pressing either 10 or 50 mm creep, the head drives to the far end of the rail. What is that about?

I looked for the crack in the print head and it is the clear perspex. It has fractured to the left of the drive motor cutout, where the material is thin, as a result of the prior owner putting too much pressure on the filament in an attempt to get it to flow filament.
It looks like the system is comprised of four seperate sheets of perspex. Can these plattens be bought or printed?

I will do a test print in the coming days.

Sooooo excited!!!

37 (edited by Kronikabuse 2018-05-01 09:54:45)

those jig jaw extruders are garbage. If it can print your first prints should be a replacement extruder. If it can't print you can pick up the printed pieces from www.printitindustries.com Home is the back right corner. If its moving in the oppostire direction you tell it to. go in to the repetier settings and invert the directiion for that axis. there are check boxes for it

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

38 (edited by heartless 2018-05-01 12:44:50)

yeah, what Kronikabuse said.. need to adjust the settings in Repetier Host. I dont think you need to actuall invert the axis settings, but you do need to set things up correctly.

under Config > Printer Settings, there are a bunch of different tabs...
the "Connection" tab you are now familiar with

Next is "Printer"

http://soliforum.com/i/?SADG5ol.png

then "Extruder" - side note here - your max extruder temp is going to be about 245 - NOT the 295 you see here - I have an E3D v6 hotend on mine which allows me much higher temps.

http://soliforum.com/i/?liobmby.png

then "Printer Shape" - this is the one we want to start with.

http://soliforum.com/i/?QgCOLgt.png

Because you have an SD3, you can pretty much copy the settings you see here - except the height - mine is shorter because of the stabilizing brace I use. Yours should easily reach 180-190 on the Z axis with no brace on it.

Solidoodle uses "Max" endstop settings vs "Min" for both the X and Y axis
(X = left/right movement or width, Y = forward/back movement or depth, Z = up/down movement or height)

When homed the print head wants to be in the right rear corner, with the bed all the way up.

Once you get things moving in the correct directions, you can figure out the actual usable height by setting the Z axis number higher & using the manual controls to lower the bed - go slowly (small increments) near the bottom until it wont move down anymore... the number shown at the top of the manual control screen for the Z position will be the bed's location.. round it down (lower number) to the nearest whole number and use that as your Z axis number in the "printer shape" configuration.

After you get things moving correctly, there will be the matter of "leveling the bed" - this is not about using a spirit level to make sure it is level with the ground, btw - it is about making sure the bed is the same distance from the nozzle all the way around the bed.
The glass is used to help make sure you have a nice flat surface on which to print.. the thin aluminum bed plates tend to warp over time.

Ok. Jigged with it a bit after work tonight. Got the nozzle centered, (I now see what the first travel is for), and leveled the bed to .533 mm.

Not sure what height it should be, and tried to adjust the Z axis to accomodate first layer but didn't get it sorted. Have to go to work in the morning so it is bed time.....bloody sleep!!

Can someone point me to the right part to print to replace the broken parts on the print head? I tried searching through the forum posts but nothing has come up yet. I have been looking on thingiverse as well but nothing so far.

this one should work for you... https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:47561

when you home all, you want the Z axis to be at zero - nothing else.
You may need to adjust the screw for the Z endstop...

Before you do that - move the bed down a little - 5mms or so, tighten the bed adjusting screws down to about half the spring travel at all 3 positions.
Turn the end stop screw down (end that hits the endstop lower) a little - home the Z axis - move the printhead out over the middle of the bed somewhere & get an idea of how far away the nozzle is from the bed.
Move the bed down so the screw is no longer touching the endstop switch...
Adjust the end stop screw up in small increments and repeat the above until you get very close to the nozzle - if you have a piece of card stock, use that to test how close you are, place it on the bed, under the nozzle - when the nozzle actually touches the paper, but you can still pull it out easily, you are close enough with the endstop adjustment - it is now time to adjust the bed screws.

To adjust the bed screws - home all axis... move the print head forward & to the left so it is near the front right bed screw.. you dont need to be directly over it, but close.
take a strip of standard copy paper & place it under the nozzle, adjust that screw until there is just a very slight drag on the paper when you try to move it. You don't want it too tight, but you don't want it too loose, either - it does take a little practice to get it right.

When you think you have that one set, repeat the procedure at the other 2 screws (if you can't get the strip of paper between the bed & nozzle, then tighten the screw until you can).
When you think you have all three set, re-home everything and then verify that all 3 are still at the correct spacing.

The first time I tried to do this, it took me several tries to get it right, so be patient and take your time. Check your work by homing everything, then testing again.

to give you an idea of what I am talking about...

http://soliforum.com/i/?GWQ02Tk.jpg

Thanks Heartless. That method for zeroing in the Z axis is something which had not occurred to me. I tried to alter the stop settings to adjust but it didn't respond the same way as the X and Y axis did. I noticed when leveling the bed that the screws had too much tension on them and were deforming the platten. It was already held too tight when I had a look at it, with the glass plate being able to rock along one edge for a few years so the platten is now probably buggered.

I wonder if anyone has made a better platten from thicker stock?? I have some here that would work. Is the heater coil adhered to the bed?

What do you call "card stock"?? Is that just a business card?

krazy4gone wrote:

Thanks Heartless. That method for zeroing in the Z axis is something which had not occurred to me. I tried to alter the stop settings to adjust but it didn't respond the same way as the X and Y axis did. I noticed when leveling the bed that the screws had too much tension on them and were deforming the platten. It was already held too tight when I had a look at it, with the glass plate being able to rock along one edge for a few years so the platten is now probably buggered.

I wonder if anyone has made a better platten from thicker stock?? I have some here that would work. Is the heater coil adhered to the bed?

What do you call "card stock"?? Is that just a business card?

card stock could easily be a business card, a matchbook cover, a postcard you get in the mail, even a greeting card... just something that is thicker/heavier than standard paper...

It is very common for the thin aluminum plate to warp over time from heating and cooling cycles. This is why many use the glass on top, to help level things out, but depending on the amount of warping, even that will not help eventually. Sounds like yours is at that point

My 1st SD4 had the exact same problem and yes, I did eventually replace it with a thicker piece.
The silicone heating mat is glued to the underside with the fiberglass matting over that to help keep the heat where it needs to be.
As you can see in this picture, the silicone mat is smaller than the aluminum bed... the outer edges will never get to the same temp as the center (this is also a part of the reason the bed warps - uneven heating)

http://soliforum.com/i/?QAAol5z.jpg

If you are serious about getting into this hobby, I am going to suggest this - purchase this: https://www.printitindustries.com/colle … -8-heatbed and get a thicker piece of aluminum (3-4mm thick or about 3/16") to replace the current bed. Don't even bother with trying to remove the heater and stick it on another piece of aluminum. you will need to drill and chamfer 3 holes in the new aluminum for mounting purposes - use the old bed for marking placement.

I purchased one of the above heaters when they first came out and I absolutely love it. It is faster to heat up, it gives more even heating across the ENTIRE bed including at the edges, and the company is owned by several of the guys from this forum with the intention of helping people like you and I get, and keep, our Solidoodles running in tip top shape. I liked it so much, I purchased a second one for my second SD4.

my current bed setup looks like this at the edge...this is a lot of thermal mass to heat up - especially the 3/16" aluminum. The Hale heater handles it in short order..

http://soliforum.com/i/?8yTM5UB.jpg

with the old silicone heater it used to take 20-25 minutes to heat the bed to 100C for printing ABS, and the edges never got hot enough to be able to use the entire bed... the Hale does the same in under 10 minutes from dead cold (in the winter months about 15C) and with no insulation under it - and - all the way to the edge so I can now use the entire bed, not just the middle.

No, the Hale heat bed is not cheap, but to me, it is worth every single penny. I actually use my printers to make a little side income printing stuff for other people as well is printing my own stuff. The Hale heater has more than paid for itself several times over now by being faster and giving more complete & even heating for larger prints.

Hi Heartless.

That is great info. Thanks for the pics. I will have to investigate what the heater looks like. As thie machine has apparently not been used much (the prior owner had no mechanical skills so ended up just breaking it), I would say it is the original heater. It seems to heat up ok, not quick though. I will build a heater of my own when I can get this thing to print....lol.

On that, I attempted my first print last night, but the filament just kept lifting off the glass. Is this due to the bed not being hot enough? I touched it, and although I had the temp set to 60 c it didn't feel like it. Is there some kind of coating I need to be using?

I used a glue too fix the print head tensioner to enable printing. It seems to work ok. Although I had the rolls of filament covered with a cloth, the UV attacked the first few layers of filament, and it just broke off as brittle chunks when I attempted to unroll it. The rest of the roll seems fine though.

I have to roll sitting on a wooden towel rail at the moment, above and to the back of the machine. It has a fair bit of drag against the inner of the filament holder. I will investigate how to mount it so it rolls easily today.

I would purchase one of the heaters you recomend, but as I am in Australia, I fear postage costs would be prohibitive. For an item of that size I would not expect less than $30 postage. More than the item is worth so....

The sotware seems to work ok with the files you linked me to for the printhead parts. I will say though, that the parameter window which popped up at first seems to override the RH extruder and printbed settings each time a part is sliced.....I will have to check and see what I have missed, if anything.

I am searching now for a good, free, easy to learn CAD program that I can load onto the XP. I loaded up Sculptris last night and had a play. Although the blurb looks good, and it a rather cool piece of software I will be learning into the coming future, it is not a CAD program where one can build shapes with dimensional parameters. Having not had the opportunity or need to follow what has been happening in the online world until lately, I don't know what everyone is using these days.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I want to begin with a simple disk upon which I can mount magnets.

I am presently downloading FreeCAD to try out. It looks like it is well supported for tutorials, which I will need!!

I am presently downloading FreeCAD to try out. It looks like it is well supported for tutorials, which I will need!!

krazy4gone wrote:

You can also try Tinkercad. It is web based basic geometric shapes that can be added or subtracted to make desired models.

carl_m1968 wrote:
krazy4gone wrote:

You can also try Tinkercad. It is web based basic geometric shapes that can be added or subtracted to make desired models.

I don't have internet access on the XP and as it is in the shed, and I would be spending quite some time designing on it, I would need something standalone.

48 (edited by heartless 2018-05-03 02:08:15)

ah, yes, an Aussie - that does make things a bit more difficult.

bed temp would depend on the material being printed - for PLA, 60 would be fine. the issue of the filament just peeling up from the bed (as if being dragged up by the nozzle) is from the nozzle not being close enough to the bed. Like I said, it takes a bit of practice to get it just right.
You want that first layer to be more flattened out.

As for the "override" issue, if you are using Slic3r from within Repetier Host - open the configuration window by clicking on the button (remember, I run an older version, so yours may look a little different)...

http://soliforum.com/i/?NjWCxNn.jpg

Once that is open, click on the Filament Settings tab at the top, and set all the Temperature settings to 0 - this gives you full and complete control over temp settings in the Manual Tab of RH. If there are temperatures defined in the configuration settings, they will override the manual settings.

http://soliforum.com/i/?yw2LOMu.jpg

Also note that you can create and save as many filament profiles as you want here. Once calibrated, it is simply a matter of choosing the correct profile for the filament you are using from the drop-down menu on the Slicing tab.

I go into further details about how to properly calibrate your filament in my blog posts located here:

https://northwoods3d.weebly.com/blog/fi … ion-part-1

and here:

https://northwoods3d.weebly.com/blog/-f … coming-out

If what you have is PLA, it probably needs a good drying out if it has been open for any length of time. PLA becomes very brittle once it is saturated with moisture.

There are multiple ways of doing this, but a good, cheap way is a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, a cheap metal work light (the kind with a metal "hood" that takes an incandescent bulb), a small fan (computer fan works great) and some desiccant... place the spool of filament and the desiccant inside the bucket, along with the fan set up to help circulate the air. Cut a hole in the bucket lid big enough for the light fixture to just cover and place on top. turn on the light & the fan and leave it overnight at minimum.
The incandescent bulb will warm the air (i would use no more than a 60w bulb - 40w would probably be fine), the fan circulates that warm air over & around the filament, driving the moisture out, and the desiccant will absorb the moisture. (this will also work for ABS and any other filament you may find yourself playing with)

Another alternative is a food dehydrator if you have one of those lying around. Same concept.

For CAD programs, there are a lot to choose from out there.
Take a look at Design Spark Mechanical for one.
My personal favorite is no longer supported, but is still available - 123D Design from Autodesk - it is a solids based 3d modeling program, is super easy to use, and gives excellent results when exporting .stl files.

I have an Electrolux fan forced oven in the shed with a 30 c dehydration setting built in. I will dry out all four rolls tonight. Good to know they go brittle with moisture. I think I read that they go brittle with exposure to UV as well or is that a myth? I will store them differently now. I have some desiccant sachets I will also dry out and store them together in an airtight drum.

I think I may have not raised the bed to the thickness of the copy paper last night in my excitement at the prospect of doing my first print. I must be more patient. I will bake all the Filament I have before I go too far. I guess it would also effect the extrusion rate if the filament is high in moisture, and also the heat absorption rate as it flowed. I have a non-contact thermometer here, and so will try to get a reading of the filament extrusion temp versus nozzle temp with wet and dry filament to gauge the possible effect. I also read that PLA and ABS have a certain shrinkage. This would also be changed by moisture content and extrusion temp.

Seems another build is a container for the filament spools with a minimum orifice for the raw material to exit, with possibly an airtight seal and a carriage for some desiccant sachets within the container to maintain the filament in a dry state.

I am going with FreeCAD for now, but thanks for the heads up about the other software. I like the concept of Python, and want to learn the language as I am heading into my later years, and have wanted to build and invent electro-mechanical devices my entire life but never had the chance to do so before.

This guy should be a good resource for you . Do not know how close to you he really is.

http://www.makersmuse.com/
Check out his you tube channel

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura