Topic: Broken glass build plate. Has the OEM improved? Other suggestions?

I'm having ALL the famous problems with my new-old-stock Davinci 1.0.

I left a 7-8 hour print going last night and woke up to a perfectly formed print, with glass fused to the bottom and a shattered work plate. Pictures attached.

I've been reading around online for solutions, and all the conversations I'm seeing seem to be about 2 years old. I've looked at videos for removing the heater element and then replacing the glass with boro or tempered glass, but the element is already damaged due to the glass shards. It isn't coming off.

XYZ does appear to have replacement platforms available on their site for $60. (This was apparently a problem before, too, as they were always out of stock.) I don't mind spending $60, but I don't want to buy the same problem.

No idea why it even broke. I didn't try to remove the print early — it sat in the machine overnight, it was plenty cool. One of the contacts does look to be scorched, and had been that way for a couple of days.

I have done no mods, other than replacing two of the (broken) bearing brackets, and yesterday I did replace the stock connector heating the extruder, which was sporadically not heating. I've used nothing but stock XYZ filament. Most of the time I haven't even used glue on the glass, as none of the prints I have managed to make have warped or failed to stick.

I'm starting to hate this entire thing, to be honest. I've had it, like, 3 weeks, and have spent more time repairing/researching repairs than using it.

SO! To the point(s).
1: Does anyone know if XYZ has improved the glass for the replacement bed? Is it going to be the same problem if I buy the OEM replacement?
2: Does anyone have any idea why it's breaking, or have suggestions for things I can do to the new one to avoid this in future? Tape? More religious application of glue? Avoidance of glue?
3: Does anyone know of any third-party solutions that may be an improvement, for the heater element plus the glass? I'm definitely going to need both.

Thanks again.

Hurrffff, this thing is exhausting. And I was so excited that this print is perfect, because it's my very first remix for a very specific purpose. It was exactly the right size and everything.

http://soliforum.com/i/?j2tbcdG.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?83YC7sX.jpg

Re: Broken glass build plate. Has the OEM improved? Other suggestions?

Ok. First, don't feel frustrated, it is completely normal to break a pieces of glass. It does not necessary have anything to do with its quality.

But, many people have Da vinci 1.0 break their glass, so I would not recommend by xyzprinting glass bed again.  Mostly because that is not a real glass, it is a piece of plastic which will bind your filament better than you want it to be. For serious fix, I would either buy Borosilicate glass plus PCB Hot Plate Heat Bed and or Aluminum Heated Bed Build Plate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Printer-Bor … 0005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RepRap-3D-Prin … 2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Heate … SwWr5ZyS8p

These heated bed use four screw to level, which I like better over the current 3 screw level system. And you should not have to spend $60 for everything.

The original plastic glass bed are meant to be used with Kapton tape, add some soap water on your plastic glass bed then apply one layer Kapton tape and it will dry and bound after heat. your print will be very easy to remove by remove kapton tape. as long as the tape did not break, you can reuse.

If you use glue stick, the glue is water soluble, if you have trouble to remove your print, add some water and your print will come off easily.

If you have neither, your print may bind the plastic bed better than you want it to be.

Last, this is not a perfect print, if you have raft in the bottom(unlikely), the raft is too dense and will be hard to remove. If you don't have raft in the bottom, which i think is the case, you have under-extrusion problem or bed leveling issue. Filament in bottom right are fussed together but remain string in top left suggest the top left corresponding side of the bed is too low. this may also contribute to the glass break after cool down especially when your print bound plastic bed too good.

It is hard to find 3D printer that can plug and play cost under $2000, there are so many things that should be written in manual but didn't. Based on what you said in the post, you learned a lot and you are doing great.

I would not just rush to the glass bed upgrade just yet, I would test if the heated bed still heat up. If it does, put a piece of real glass on top of it with paper clamp. It don't have to be exactly same size, slightly bigger is ok. It can be window glass, mirror, glass in your picture frame, of even glass in LCD screen of a small TV or monitor you don't want anymore.

http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/thumb/1/16/MAP-PCB.jpg/400px-MAP-PCB.jpg

It might be less optimal than the serious fix, but you don't have to wait for the parts to come and you can play with it more and get some more prints and decide if you still hate this entire thing and want to get rid of it instead of spend more money fix it.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Plus, you need re-level your print bed after put another piece of glass on top of it. otherwise your hotend will hit the glass and break it again. If you are not sure how to do it, google or search youtube. There is also .stl file that you can print and help you check if your bed is leveled perfectly.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Well, if it was not leveled properly at the beginning of that print, it will never be leveled properly, because I calibrated it before starting this print and it was dead on all 3 numbers at 275.

That isn't a raft, though, that is the base — and a pretty big one, if you can tell by my finger at the bottom of the image. Nothing is perfect, I don't ever expect this unit (or probably any other) to be actually perfect, but as far as it fitting the speaker base I had intended for it, it actually fit (to my mild surprise) and the upper portion of the figure looks really great. I was so excited to print the whole thing. sad (This was just a test of the topmost part of the base to make sure the speaker was going to fit.)

If I'm reading what you said correctly, using glue is not to help the print stay in place, but is actually to keep it from fusing TOO well to the bed? That's really unclear in the documentation. I only used it sometimes, because I was having no problems with my prints either sticking too well or not well enough. I'd tend to use it more for small parts, and again, this one was big. Biggest I'd done yet, in fact. But if it's more about protecting the plate and making the piece removable, I have no problem using the glue more faithfully.

I haven't tried heating it up again since finding it broken this morning. I did unscrew the plate to see how it looked on the bottom, and, well, it looks ugly. That doesn't mean it won't heat though. I'll see about clamping on another piece of glass (there's a glass shop down the street, I'll ask for their recommendation) and seeing if it will get to temperature. Tomorrow. I've had enough headaches for one day.

The stock bed is glass and that is the issue. It is plain glass. You need tempered glass or boroglass which both are designed to with stand heating and cooling which plain glass is not.

The reason the plain glass breaks is the area in direct contact with the print stays hotter much longer than the area not in contact with the print. This creates a temperature difference between the two areas which causes the area not touching to contract at a faster rate than the area touching the model. The result is the chipped section you have attached to the model. In some more extreme cases the bed even breaks like yours.

Mine cracked when I had had mine and I went to a glass shop and had them cut a piece of tempered glass to the same size as the stock glass. The tempered glass 6mm thick. The stock screws that hold down the stock glass have enough thread to accommodate that much more glass. Mine still heated so putting the new glass on top of the old was no issue. It did heat slower but understandable as the new glass was much thicker.

As for leveling don't use the automatic system. It is faulty and seeks incorrect values. Use this method as it is a proven method and is as old as 3D printing is.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/8408/bed … beginners/

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Thanks, Carl. I just tested it, and the heater is still working. I'm more than wiling to clamp on a better piece of glass. Printing already takes a long time, so the added time for the better surface doesn't bother me. Well, in theory. We'll see how petulant I get when it's actually print time. smile

Your manual leveling method actually looks easier, truth be told. I'll give that a try, too. I mean, especially with an additional piece of glass on it, I don't reckon the auto system will be worth a damn.

When I've put the new glass on and start a test print for leveling, is that first attempt going to be way too low to the new glass? Should I crank the bed down first?

Also, do you recommend any additional substance on tempered glass, eg glue, tape, etc.?

7 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-10-22 21:48:22)

No, using glue stick is to help the print stay in place if you have real glass bed, ABS and PLA don't stick to real glass very well even with heated bed. But you don't have glass bed, your bed is plastic glass (or so call organic glass), and it will stick to ABS and PLA on its own very well after heated, sometimes too good. In that case, glue or kapton tape can help both stick the print and make it easy to separate. (Normal printer paper will stick ABS and PLA very well, but can not seperate easily, that's why we don't use it)

Based on the way your glass break and the mark your print leave on the plate, your glass bed is organic glass. If you get real glass, you will find glue stick is very helpful for stick your print. I don't know how much glass shop usually charge for the glass, and if they have tempered glass, it might be cheaper just buy it online. I also heard people get the glass shop cut lots of piece out of small pieces of waste glass they have for very cheap as backup, you will have to find that out.

I would agree with carl_m1968 that automatic level is not working well, level your bed manually following the guide, once it leveled, usually will stay that way for a long time if you don't apply too much force remove your print.

Print a big object is a lot more challenge than small objects, because ABS/PLA shrinks when it cools down, for small object, this only create small change in shape, but for big object the change in shape are significant and sometime your print will Warping especially when bed leveling is not good. I found this webpage very useful, I did not even know many of my print have problem until I read it. It also come with possible cause and cure.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin … eshooting/

https://cdn.thingiverse.com/renders/18/6c/c3/be/ce/fe5a78d288581460553e51f12a964426_preview_featured.jpg

glue stick is cheap, blush some water on glass before apply the glue, and you don't need a lot, very thin layer will do.

People also use ABS juice, or jello powder water solution, they all work well except abs juice smells bad. I would not recommend tape if you get real glass.

The glass that broke/fused with the print is the bed that came with the unit, yizhou, so yes I imagine it's the plastic/glass that you all are talking about.

I don't mind using glue. It's really not that big a deal. I had just been skipping it usually because it didn't seem to need it. Sounds like with tempered glass maybe I WILL need glue for reliable adhesion...? I don't mind experimenting either, when experimenting means maybe some wasted plastic, but not when it means parts of the accursed machine breaking into pieces.

I have also up to this point been using ABS exclusively, as the two cartridges that I got with the machine were both ABS. I've just gotten some PLA though, so I'll be exploring that whenever I get the printer working for more than a day at a time.

I'm frustrated, but I'm not giving up. smile 3D printing is just way too cool for me to give up that easily. And hey, I've already learned how to solder a deans connector, so I'm growing as a person. [cue the more you know theme]

10 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-10-22 22:45:24)

If you have Da vinci 1.0, I don't think you can use PLA, Please double check your printer manual and see if your printer do support PLA. I think only some Da vinci 1.0A support PLA. If you get filament jam once put PLA in, that's normal. you need some Mod on the hotend to make it work with PLA, but I would not suggest you attempt that now.

So I would not recommend you experiment with PLA until you are confident on your skills on mess with hotend component. Print with PLA is really easy if your machine is right for it. ABS printing is actually more challenging and you already pretty much nailed it.

I would suggest you try tight up belt and grease the rod next and print out some test prints before and after and see if you get print quality improvement. if you don't know what certain test is for, ask around, I think it is very satisfying seeing the improvement of your print.

https://www.thingiverse.com/search/page … d1e1231289

Yes, 3D printing is way too cool to give up that easily, I'm trying to print a 3D printer with addition of some necessary metal part and electronics, how cool is that!

The PLA is an OEM refill cartridge, chip and all, so I'm assuming it's approved. But you're right, I am holding off on it until I get consistent results with ABS though, all the same. And I'll look more into PLA with the 1.0. I swear I'm not even trying to do anything tricky yet. I'm just coming across all the weaknesses at once, apparently.

https://www.thingiverse.com/groups/da-v … opic:11170

Different 3D printer have different weakness or design flaws that make first time user mis-use it easily. They tends to show up early. for example Wanhao i3 heated bed burns motherboard because the wire is not thick enough, and the two z-axis never align when they arrive, they even instruct user to adjust the motor drive because default setting make the printer too noisy.

Update:

I cut myself some regular old plate glass from Home Depot to 8.25" x 8.25" (add "glass cutting" to my skillset necessitated by this beast) and fit that under the stock brackets. Two of the corners cracked immediately because this is some thin glass (and I obviously was too enthusiastic in my tightening — I didn't think it was that tight, but this glass is just that fragile). I went through the manual bed leveling per Carl's post http://www.soliforum.com/topic/8408/bed … beginners/ and just finished a 2+ hour print that looks to be pretty good.

So, I'm operational. There will probably be more adjustments to be made, but for the time being, I'm happy to be up, and appearing to be running just fine.

I'm curious to see how long this replacement glass will last. I actually got a nice $10 piece cut at a local glass shop, without realizing that it was far too thick to level the bed under. Shame, because that's some serious 1/4" glass right there. That snit wouldn't crack at the corners!

14 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-10-26 16:37:12)

Dorion wrote:

Update:

I cut myself some regular old plate glass from Home Depot to 8.25" x 8.25" (add "glass cutting" to my skillset necessitated by this beast) and fit that under the stock brackets. Two of the corners cracked immediately because this is some thin glass (and I obviously was too enthusiastic in my tightening — I didn't think it was that tight, but this glass is just that fragile). I went through the manual bed leveling per Carl's post http://www.soliforum.com/topic/8408/bed … beginners/ and just finished a 2+ hour print that looks to be pretty good.

So, I'm operational. There will probably be more adjustments to be made, but for the time being, I'm happy to be up, and appearing to be running just fine.

I'm curious to see how long this replacement glass will last. I actually got a nice $10 piece cut at a local glass shop, without realizing that it was far too thick to level the bed under. Shame, because that's some serious 1/4" glass right there. That snit wouldn't crack at the corners!

You can adjust your z-offset to increase the distance between hotend and your print bed. This will allow you to install thick and stronger glass (remove glass before you test this in case you adjust this in opposite way and break your glass). Make sure the print bed is clean before install the glass because small sand or pieces of plastic between two glass will become source of force that break the glass if you tight the screw too much. Also put small tape (paper based) on top of the glass that touch to corner metal piece that immobilize the glass, it will buffer the force and vibrating and reduce the chance of break your glass. You may need to redo the bed leveling after this, so if it is working now, don't change it, if the glass breaks again, try this then.

If you want to add "glass cutting" to your skill set, you might need these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073M … &psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026 … &psc=1

Nope, bed won't go down low enough for 1/4" glass. I tried.

Dorion wrote:

Nope, bed won't go down low enough for 1/4" glass. I tried.

I used 1/4" when I did mine. You have to add an offset in your start gcode that accounts for the extra thickness which is right around 6mm.

Yeah I'm not doing gcode. I've only been doing this for a couple weeks, I'm not doing anything other than stock at this time. (Or trying to anyway, if it would stop breaking for a minute.)

Just a note, if you want to do PLA on a 1.0 you will need to buy the different extruder they sell on the XYZ site. it is almost always out of stock however. They do sell the PLA carts and chips, but they are made for the 2.0 and AOI which have the different head. If you try to use PLA in the 1.0 with a stock head it will jam all time because the throat in the extruder is not cooled properly and the PLA will expand in the throat. So unless you can catch the different head in stock and are willing to throw another 60 bucks plus shipping at your 1.0 I would just stay with ABS and maybe pick up a cheap kit printer down the road for PLA.

That's good to know, thanks. I'll stick with ABS and all its wonderful smells for the time being.

20 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-10-26 20:21:49)

you can only see the bed go down when you start printing after you make changes in z-offset. It will not low the bed after homing. Bed height after homing is mostly affected by endstop and bed leveling screw. You will have to test your z-offset during printing just like the best way to leveling is during the printing.

So it is best to remove the glass, tight all leveling screw so the bed is lowest just to be safe, set z-offset to -10mm, and start print something, you will see the nozzle moving in the air and measure the distance between nozzle and the bed, no need to be very accurate because small mistakes can be compensated by leveling screw, then adjust the z-offset so that nozzle is slightly above the bed after adding the thickness of your glass, then start printing again and try your glass on see if it will fit. Mathematically, if the glass is 6mm, your z-offset should be -6mm to -7mm. Redo the leveling and it should be all set.

For PLA printing, not sure if add heat sink is in your skill set or not, if it is, replace the heat sink on the hotend with bigger one and print one of this kind of fan mount,

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:433113

Then add an 12V powerful 6500rpm or 7200rpm fan and power it from independent 12V power supply. This is relative simple solution.

PLA is a lot easy to work with, and much less wraping, more importantly, it doesn't not smell bad and is not toxic. It is less temperature resistant but the strength between layers are much better than ABS.

Again, I would not recommend you to do this now, but it doesn't hurt to print the part, read more about it, and collect parts and add more item to your skill set. Don't mess with the printer if it is not broken, I'm still waiting for my hotend to break so that I can try the Carriage I printed out long time ago.

razor_keen wrote:

There is a supplier on eBay that will cut the 210 x 210 size in borosilicate.
Technologika_net.
They made some for me but there was some misunderstanding and they cut the corners off.
Find there listing for the 210 x 210 glass with the corners cut, and just ask them for those with square corners. Bam. Perfect fit, no more chipping. You just have to be real careful getting the heater off. Use goofoff and a flat razor it works well.
Clean with acetone, apply 3m high temp spray adhisive, and stick the heater to the new glass. Never have to worry about chipping again. ( Well almost, lol)

There is no need to remove the heater. Just put the new glass on top of the existing broken glass. Many of us have done it when we did own one of these junk piles.

haha Yes, thank you, I wound up clamping on a piece of plain hardware store glass, which I cut to size, and it's been working fine ever since.

I hear you on your judgment though. I hear you. wink

razor_keen wrote:

There's no need to but man does it look good to have a fresh piece of borosilicate with the heater stuck to it like it is supposed to be.

As someone who also just posted 9 pairs of scissors, in order of size, on her pegboard (yes, every one of them has an assigned use), I also feel this. smile

Dorion wrote:
razor_keen wrote:

There's no need to but man does it look good to have a fresh piece of borosilicate with the heater stuck to it like it is supposed to be.

As someone who also just posted 9 pairs of scissors, in order of size, on her pegboard (yes, every one of them has an assigned use), I also feel this. smile

Nothing else break for a week? I can not believe this!