Re: Broken glass build plate. Has the OEM improved? Other suggestions?

razor_keen wrote:

I'm hoping very soon to be able to offer replacement wires for the extruder and steppers. I'm going to make them with "robot wire" so they will not break. No more second guessing if your wires are causing layer shifts.

USB cable also makes a good choice for replacement wires. It is very flexible and has enough conductors for most peripherals in a printer. Plus if you use the braided stuff it just looks cool to.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

razor_keen wrote:

I wonder how many strands are in USB cable. There are 40 strands in a 24 awg robot wire. The stuff is insane. 24 awg is the largest gauge the connectors will hold. They will definitely be a big upgrade over stock wires.

USB usually has 5 to 6 depending on it's REV. 3.0 has the highest count. it is perfect for motors.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

yizhou.he wrote:
Dorion wrote:
razor_keen wrote:

There's no need to but man does it look good to have a fresh piece of borosilicate with the heater stuck to it like it is supposed to be.

As someone who also just posted 9 pairs of scissors, in order of size, on her pegboard (yes, every one of them has an assigned use), I also feel this. smile

Nothing else break for a week? I can not believe this!

No one is more surprised than I.  wink

Yes, the wire for Da Vinci 1.0 is problematic, I heard many people got complex problem all turns out to be the wire harness problem, despite it is appears to be good quality wire, there is something wrong with it.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

I'll tell you right now, the moment I have to start replacing wiring harnesses is the moment I list that machine for sale for parts. I'm actually really enjoying it, hardware repairs not withstanding, but I have no particular interest in learning electrical wiring just to make this thing go.

razor_keen wrote:

Personally I purchased two new hotend assemblies due to decoupling. Installing the new ones seemed to work for a while but it was probably just I moved the wires around replacing it. It worked for about a hundred hours and happened again. I bout the second one. It turned out it was wires.
Wiring issues are not limited to the davinci, it plagues all 3d printers. High strand counts are expensive and printer manufactures are trying to get you a printer you can afford. It's almost unspeakable xyz went as far as sending regular glass on a printer with a bonded kapton heater. That's just stupid and lazy.
But if you upgrade these parts, and grease the rails occasionally, it is not uncommon for a printer to print for 10000  hours.
This is not a typo. Ten thousand hours

You will not think they are stupid and lazy if you know how much they charge for replacement glass.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

32 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-11-06 21:58:18)

Dorion wrote:

I'll tell you right now, the moment I have to start replacing wiring harnesses is the moment I list that machine for sale for parts. I'm actually really enjoying it, hardware repairs not withstanding, but I have no particular interest in learning electrical wiring just to make this thing go.

I'm not on razor_keen's sales team yet, but if this guy offer the replacement wiring harnesses for less than $20 I would recommend you buy one right now! The installation is really easy, unplug the old wire and plug in the new wire, no solder iron involved. And you get to add "Electric wiring" to your skill set! smile

If you do consider list that machine for sale for parts, get shipping quote from USPS, Fedex ground, and UPS, the machine plus the box weighted around 60 LBs, and you can estimate the size with your own judgement, we can talk about how to unplug that wire later... smile

yizhou.he wrote:

I'm not on razor_keen's sales team yet, but if this guy offer the replacement wiring harnesses for less than $20 I would recommend you buy one right now! The installation is really easy, unplug the old wire and plug in the new wire, no solder iron involved. And you get to add "Electric wiring" to your skill set! smile

If you do consider list that machine for sale for parts, get shipping quote from USPS, Fedex ground, and UPS, the machine plus the box weighted around 60 LBs, and you can estimate the size with your own judgement, we can talk about how to unplug that wire later... smile

I don't remember seeing a cost for a replacement wiring harness in there... did I miss that, or are you just recommending a limit?

34 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-11-06 22:47:01)

Dorion wrote:

I don't remember seeing a cost for a replacement wiring harness in there... did I miss that, or are you just recommending a limit?

I would definitely recommend it if it is under $20, I would personally make my own if it is above $20. You will have to decide if it worthwhile if it is more expensive based on your own judgement. You may would rather learn how to sale it for parts on ebay plus the shipping cost than to learn how to change the cable plus the cable price.

The replacement wire harness price from xyzprinting sometimes can help you make the decision too. smile

Nah, I could live with one color. If you're considering this for real, do let me know. Swapping a wiring harness is different (for me) than rewiring the thing. And if it's something I'm going to have to consider an inevitability...

36 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-11-07 18:17:01)

razor_keen wrote:

Ok your one I need at least two more to say one color for it to be feasible.

I would say mult-color is totally unnecessary for sure. Color only helpful when you do the wiring, the point of buying the wire harness is people don't want to deal with the wiring, so the color have no value to your customer as long as the plug only gets in the PCB in one direction.

If you are serious about the business, I would recommend Red and black and I would limit the use of red one if it cost more.

The reason I would prefer to make my own because I literary have everything needed, including the wires. I don't think it will be the case for any of your customers, but I can tell you $40 for wire harness is too much, if you can not bring your cost down, don't do it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10M-Long-PE-Po … 2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30m-24AWG-Sili … SwJthZ3xfc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JST-XH-Right-a … Mqlokb-bFQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-54mm-3-96mm- … 0507.m3226

37 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-11-08 15:41:15)

They take long time to arrive, and not everyone knows how to crimp good cable. Not to mention knowing how to crimp it right without risk get anything burned. So I still think your business have great potential.

I think the material cost can be reduced, and the labor and the knowledge are important part of the cost. The real question is how many potential customer out there?

Let's say if you also offer cable sets that allow user to easily connect their Jr. or mini to RAMPS board, that's slightly larger market, after all, not every Da vinci 1.0 need wire harness replaced but many Jr. or mini owner want the conversion if the cable making is not on their way.

Now that is a great idea. Market your cables towards people that wnat to do a converstion but are afraid of the wiring hassle.

39 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-11-09 17:22:09)

razor_keen wrote:

That's a good idea and I dont mind making said cables but I was never interested in the money. I gave all my secrets and planned on making premium cables for material cost and shipping. I just think it's bullshit to buy a printer with crap wire and glass.

I think it's also bullshit to buy a printer that can only use expensive filament and incompatible with popular software. Even if you are not interested in the money, you need to think about compensation for your time to make these sustainable.

razor_keen wrote:

So I'd need some regular wire as well? It's to expensive to do a complete wire harness with robot wire. Can someone take pictures of a ramps board? What kind of connectors does it take?

It takes Dupon pins

https://gloimg.gbtcdn.com/gb/pdm-product-pic/Electronic/2016/07/11/goods-img/1497895688547710430.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07427WY6D/re … 5534053566

https://www.ebay.com/itm/620pcs-0-1-Dup … Swi0xaAo-G