Topic: Solidoodle Workbench Overhaul

I am now the proud owner of a new (to me) Solidoodle Workbench!

I currently own a Solidoodle 4 (early production run) that, after a few mods and upgrades, runs flawlessly and creates outstanding prints.  So why in the world would I want a SDWB?  1) larger build area, 2) multiple extruders.

Essentially, I want to recreate the positive SD4 experience in the larger SDWB.  I mostly intend to use the second extruder for soluble support material, with my primary printing in ABS, PETG, Nylon, Delrin, and Ninjaflex.  Due to workflow considerations, I want to use R-H to control the printer.  With that in mind, here are my considerations:

1. Enclosed case - important for me to stabilize temperatures while printing large objects.
2. Board - support multiple extruders and gcode fans, single-board solution.  The X5 looks good, but it runs Smoothieware.  Thinking of a Duet.
3. E3D hot end - I'm a big E3Dv6 fan, but unsure whether to run dual E3Dv6's, or a solution like the Chimera or Cyclops.  How outlandish would it be to go to a Kraken?
4. Extruder - E3D Titan?
5. Carriage/bearing mods

Anyone have opinions on the above items?  The sum of my 3D printer knowledge is my SD4, so I'm unfamiliar with the current state of hardware and electronics. 

Any constructive input is welcome.

-Kevin

Re: Solidoodle Workbench Overhaul

I have a lot of opinions on all of the above.  Maybe  next time you're on chat we should discuss it further.  Everything you mentioned I have extensive experience with.  Not to mention most of the upgrades you mentioned, I also have good used laying around.  I guess we should have had this conversation a few weeks ago.

For others reading: the WB in question came from me.  I am happy it found a home where it will get the proper upgrades and care.  With all of my time going into developing 2 new Printit models I simply didn't have the time to work on improving the WB.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Wow.  Not a lot of Workbench users left, I guess.

-Kevin

4 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-09-23 11:54:46)

Honestly not sure how many there were in the first place. The work bench was released at the same time as the press and the WB jr . Then there was cash flow issues and things fell apart.

I purchased a ft5 kit which has recently been upgraded. Not suggesting you start from scratch but you my want to look at the folger forum for inspiration.
And they just updated the kit to a 24 volt system,  something you may want to consider for a large format heater. 
The ft 5 uses a mks gen 1.4 board that may be an option it will handle two extruders.
As far as extruders I installed aero on my machine. Certainly an option for you, they have mirrored models for duel extruders.
As far as carriage bearings linear rails could be an option .
All depends on what machine you really want and your budget.

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

I've done a lot of these mods, and I'm currently ready to do a maintenance rebuild while I figure out an issue with my bed not heating properly.  I can definitely tell you where I went wrong...

Of course I know what I'm doing.  I googled it.

I still haven't started on the rebuild...too cold in the garage.

Now that the weather is starting to warm I would be interested in how your printer mods are going.  I just purchased a Duet WiFi to upgrade my Workbench electronics so any lessons learned would be a big help.

My WB is still sitting in my garage, right next to my laser engraver and a workbench full of Alfa Romeo parts. I'm trying to get a car project finished, and now I have military duty for a couple of weeks.

Realistically, I won't be able to start on it until June.

-Kevin

The engine is back in the Alfa Romeo, and is running!  I have another week or so of smaller details to finish up, and then it's time to engage the WB.

I'm still planning on the DuetWiFi, PanelDue 7i, and an E3D Cyclops or Chimera hot end, with  E3D Titan extruders.  It doesn't seem there's anything newer on the scene that's any better.

10 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-06-13 09:48:17)

Thanks for the update. The newest  offering by e3d is the swapable tool head concept model they came out with then the aqua  just released and the areo  released a year ago.

And here is a board that you may want to look at

https://printedsolid.com/products/archim-1-0

This is a USA made board with some nice features but not a duet board.
The duet 2 seems very nice and a little cheaper.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

I have ordered a Duet WiFi and PanelDue 7i from Filastruder.  It should be here before the weekend.  I want to establish the layout of these two components and their wiring.  I'll need to figure out my power supply needs, then order power supplies, Titans and Chimeras from Print It Industries.

I haven't yet had much luck finding a 12" bed heater that's not an old-style silicone.

There are 12"x12" PCB heaters out there...but a 12V version will pull over 24Amps at startup, so a relay or SSR and separate PSU is required for that...

SSR's steal a lot of resistance and will slow your heat times; a straight mechanical relay won't add resistance but will require PWM turned off and Bang-Bang activated. It will still click a lot and ultimately burn out the contacts.

A 24V should do well without any relay if you can find one; but then the Hotends need to be 24V as well.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Would it be possible to run a 24v power supply for the bed, and 12v for everything else?  Would a dedicated bed power supply, mitigate the downside of SSRs?

I think I'd prefer to go the SSR route, rather than mechanical relays.

knowack wrote:

Would it be possible to run a 24v power supply for the bed, and 12v for everything else?  Would a dedicated bed power supply, mitigate the downside of SSRs?

I think I'd prefer to go the SSR route, rather than mechanical relays.

Certainly possible...the higher voltage/lower amperage of a 24v heat bed will improve the heat loss situation with the SSR; not the fact that it is a separate power supply. You will still need a big heat sink and active fan cooling for the SSR if you use either 12 or 24v.

Otherwise, all you need to change is the heat cartridges on the hot ends to go full 24v for the whole machine. The stepper motors can already handle 12 or 24v. Then you only need one power supply for the whole system.

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

I received the Duet WiFi and Panel Due 7i yesterday; finally got to play with them this evening. 

Wow!  What a slick setup!  I followed the online setup instructions to configure the WiFi connection.  The web interface seems to be well thought-out.  I connected the Panel Due, and it fired right up, without any configuration necessary.  The web interface and Panel Due connections are aware of each other; actions on one are reflected on the other.  ...which is as it should be, when I think about it.

Now that my workbench is cleared of Alfa parts, I've got to set the Workbench on the workbench, and start laying out the hardware arrangement/location.  I intend to fabricate the actual enclosure last, but I can see that I've got to start thinking how I'm going to implement this Panel Due.

It's very exciting to get the electronics fired up, and play around with it.

I took the old circuit board out of the Workbench...it looks like a regular Printrboard with a daughter board attached for the extra extruder and hot end.

Now I have another spare Printrboard!  My SD4 will live forever!

I'm kicking around ideas of how I'm going to mount the Duet WiFi and Panel Due.

Reading up on specs of current draw and handling capacity, I'm pretty much decided to go with 24v hot ends and bed heater.  If I understand correctly, the steppers are indifferent whether they're on 12v or 24v?

knowack wrote:

I took the old circuit board out of the Workbench...it looks like a regular Printrboard with a daughter board attached for the extra extruder and hot end.

Now I have another spare Printrboard!  My SD4 will live forever!

I'm kicking around ideas of how I'm going to mount the Duet WiFi and Panel Due.

Reading up on specs of current draw and handling capacity, I'm pretty much decided to go with 24v hot ends and bed heater.  If I understand correctly, the steppers are indifferent whether they're on 12v or 24v?

LOL, I ditched the stock Printrboards in both of my SD4s in favor of Rumba boards.. and both are doing quite nicely indeed. wink

either way, it is always nice to have a back up handy.

look forward to seeing your upgrades on the Workbench.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

knowack wrote:

If I understand correctly, the steppers are indifferent whether they're on 12v or 24v?

That is correct...

it is my upstanding they will perform better you may get some additional speed from printing with a 24 volt system.

I've done the initial setup on the Duet WiFi.  You're compelled to use the online configurator (https://configurator.reprapfirmware.org if you want to take a look) to generate the initial configuration files.  The web interface is easily navigable once you get used to it, and is reasonably replicated on the Panel Due display.  I even have Repieter-Host talking to the Duet WiFi through the USB port!  This is great for me, because it gives me the option of continuing my present workflow process with R-H, or migrating to a purely browser-based method.

The configurator is easy to navigate and covers a multitude of parameters, but not everything is explained well.  Some sidebar text, hyperlinks, or better use of tooltips would be very helpful.  The Wiki discusses gcode commands and such, but is more suited for direct editing of the .g configuration files (which you can do through the web interface). For me, this resulted in several visits to the configurator as I homed in on the correct settings.  Once I got the configuration close to right, I simply resorted to editing the .g files.  More on that in a minute.

Some examples are:
Motors - do I need them to run forward or backward?  Endstops - at low end or high end?  Are we talking physically, or numerically in a Cartesian sense?  Fans - thermostatic control of fans to monitored heaters...the error checking didn't like what I was proposing, but I think I finally muddled through.  I won't know for certain until I order the hot ends, etc.

After uploading the generated files, I connected one axis at a time, and began testing; making configuration changes as I went.  For example, the X and Y axes run forward, while the Z axis runs backward.  I had to refine my bed dimension settings, and assert that I want home to be the right rear of the printer, not the left rear. 

The configurator gives you endstop options of active high/low (normally closed/open) z-probe, or motor stall current.  After I had tinkered with X and Y to satisfaction, I connected Z.  The Z axis went rogue on me, and bulldozed its way through the Z limit switch before I was able to issue the STOP command. After a little Wiki reading of people with similar problem, it turns out that no matter what Z endstop options you select in the configurator, it is going to configure you for a Z-probe.  I had to manually edit three different .g config files to remove Z-probe behavior.  I have a replacement switch (plus two spares) ordered from PrintItIndustries.

Now that I have the movement mostly figured out, I'm going to work on mounting the Duet, Panel, and routing the wiring.  After that, getting extruders, hot ends, and bed heater!

21 (edited by knowack 2018-07-11 02:24:41)

I received my micro switches from PrintItIndustries, and have replaced the Z stop.  Now that the printer moves through its full dimensions, I'm working on figuring out placement for the Duet, Panel, and cable management.  I'm not sure how often I'll be accessing the SD card on the Duet, so I don't know if that placement will be a factor.

It's handy when you do the initial firmware upload...beyond that, most everything is accessible via the web interface. Note that all Gcode files uploaded (printed) via the web interface will then reside on that microSD card until it is full; again, they can be deleted via the interface.

FYI Gcode files printed from the LCD Panel microSD card will not reside on the Duet card...

Ironman, thanks for the info.  There seems to be differences in functionality between the two SD card locations.

Does anyone know what the microstepping is for these stock SD motors?  The default setting on the Duet is 16x with interpolation, but it makes my steps/mm way off from what my SD4 is.  I had expected that since it's basically the same hardware arrangement, that the values would be somewhat similar.

1/16th stepping but due to larger diameter drive pulleys the steps/mm will be different.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Aaah.  I had't paid attention to the different pulley sizes; makes sense.

There's a lot to like about the Workbench's hardware.  It seems like a natural evolution of the SD4.

I'm thinking of laser cutting an acrylic mounting plate, and mounting the Duet to the inside of the back plane at the left bottom.  I can utilize the existing holes to bring power in, and have plenty of wiring length.