Re: Solidoodle Workbench Overhaul

Scroll down to the Stepper Motors area and enter the variables...my SD2 used MXL belting; not sure what the Workbench uses:

https://www.prusaprinters.org/calculator/

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

I've been searching for a suitable power connection solution, to no avail.  I found this online today, and ordered it.  It looks pretty good, and for the price, I can hardly go wrong!

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/xt60-panel- … g-kit.html

I've been making progress on the Workbench.  The 60 Amp RC connector kit I linked to above worked out great.  I had to enlarge one of the existing holes a bit, but the result looks nice.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vu0tokrr6i7f8av/XT60%20power%20connector.jpg?dl=1

Here are a few photos of my carriage design.  I printed one test version, made a few design changes, and the second one was a winner!

It rides on four bearings, and has provisions for the two Titans, the Chimera, and separate print cooling fans for each nozzle. I used the two original bearings, and printed two more in POM.  I notched the printed bearings, so that I could snap them over the chrome rods, and didn't have to break apart the existing assembly.  I printed the main structure in PETG. The motor mounts and fan structures are in ABS.

Everything glides smoothly, but it will be interesting to see how that much moving mass behaves.  I was a bit surprised at how big the motors for the Titans are.  I would have thought E3D could have sufficed with a smaller and lighter one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/09iusnppppy6rcm/Carriage%201.jpg?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9o1k98xy3l3gqf/Carriage%202.jpg?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzdmbl5waj0u1i6/Carriage%203.jpg?dl=1

Looks great! Did you lose any print area with your X carriage?

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

looking very good!

Love the XT60 connector setup - well done!
I use the smaller version on my FT-5 for the hotend/cnc cutter head.. XT30 - just the right size for that application.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

widespreaddeadhead wrote:

I cannot compare the new Titan/Chimera setup to the original SD configuration.  I bought the Workbench used, and it had already been modified from its original state.  It looks as if both nozzles can reach the whole print bed.

A challenge I'm going to have is cable management for the carriage.  With two complete extruders, hotends, and gcode fans...as well as the heatbreak fan and limit switch...its a sizable wire bundle that connects this thing.

knowack wrote:
widespreaddeadhead wrote:

I cannot compare the new Titan/Chimera setup to the original SD configuration.  I bought the Workbench used, and it had already been modified from its original state.  It looks as if both nozzles can reach the whole print bed.

A challenge I'm going to have is cable management for the carriage.  With two complete extruders, hotends, and gcode fans...as well as the heatbreak fan and limit switch...its a sizable wire bundle that connects this thing.

You could try a ribbon cable

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

Kronikabuse wrote:

You could try a ribbon cable

That's a good idea.  I have one of those linked cable guides, but haven't decided how to implement it yet. 

I've left all the wiring at original length for the moment, first ensuring everything works.  When I come up with a final cabling plan, I'll cut everything to length and put on new connectors.  Besides the connectors that come with the DuetWiFi, I even purchased an extra set.

The wiring's a little messy for now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c2b6ocxr8f3j9b4/DuetWiFi%20initial%20wiring.jpg?dl=1

I have ran my first bit of filament through the Workbench!  Nothing too exciting yet, just doing some initial calibration of X, Y, Z, E0, and E1 steps/mm.  I also have the bed leveled, and the two nozzles leveled.  Everything heats up and moves correctly.  I moved the Workbench from the garage to the basement, alongside the SD4...only then could I actually see the significant difference in size!

Now I just have to figure out a slicing solution, so that I can start printing some calibration items.  I use both Slic3r and Cura Engine from within R-H on my SD4, and I've made configuration profiles for the Workbench.  However, I don't want to interfere with the SD4 while it's actively printing.  At this point, I just want to slice some objects and upload the gcode to the Workbench.  Has anyone ran multiple instances of R-H?  I'm curious how it would behave.

I can run Slic3r stand-alone, but not sure how to do this with Cura Engine.  I guess that I could not be so greedy, and halt the SD4 for a while, but I have a lot of Christmas swag to print, and time is running out!  The more practical solution may be to use a separate computer (laptop), configured for slicing objects for the SDWB.  It would at least be able to start calibrating and using it, while I figure out a more elegant solution.

I'm excited to have the thing finally spitting filament!

-Kevin

36 (edited by knowack 2018-12-14 17:54:34)

I also want to mention a discovery I made regarding gcode fans.  I don't know if this applies specifically to the Duet boards, or is more general in nature:

When I ordered the components for the Workbench, I also ordered some 30mm 24v fans to use as gcode controlled cooling fans...one for each nozzle.  The E3D fans were of high quality, but would not respond to control instructions.  They would kick on/off at about 98% fan speed threshold.  I was checking my wiring, config.g file, and anything else I might have done wrong.  Finally, I connected a spare 12v fan that I had laying around, and it worked fine. 

Thinking that it might have something to do with the voltage...either PWM works better with 12v fans, or the internal DC regulator circuitry of the fan motor...I ordered some E3D-brand 12v fans.  When I connected them, they worked identically to my original E3D 24v fans...on/off at 98%.

I ordered some no-name 24v fans from Amazon, and they work great.  I don't know why the E3D-brand fans wouldn't work as a variable-speed fan on the DuetWiFi board.  I had a pair each of 24v and 12v with the same behavior.  I didn't anticipate the possibility of incompatibility between fans and motherboard.

-Kevin

37 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-12-14 18:42:29)

many fans have internal speed controllers to keep them at a stable speed when voltage fluctuates. This will cause problems with a PWM drive scheme. Also according to the schematic for that board the fans will run on whatever voltage you are running the board with. So keep that in mind as well.

If your power supply is 24 and you are running 12 volt fans then you are running them at twice voltage and will burn them out soon. Likewise if your power supply is 12 volts then running 24 volt fans will either not run, or run at half speed. This assumes generic fans with no internal regulators.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I have run 4 separate instances of RH at a time with no issues.  That being said, why would you want to run your duet via RH?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I connect multiple printer to repetier server, it can control up to four printer at the same time in the background. I can close repetier-host windows or run multiple instance without affect current printing process. Major risk is windows 10 update will automatically reboot your computer and mess up your on-going printing.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

carl_m1968 wrote:

many fans have internal speed controllers to keep them at a stable speed when voltage fluctuates. This will cause problems with a PWM drive scheme. Also according to the schematic for that board the fans will run on whatever voltage you are running the board with. So keep that in mind as well.

If your power supply is 24 and you are running 12 volt fans then you are running them at twice voltage and will burn them out soon. Likewise if your power supply is 12 volts then running 24 volt fans will either not run, or run at half speed. This assumes generic fans with no internal regulators.

I'm running 24v throughout the system, mostly to assuage the current draw of that mighty 12"x12" bed heater.  That's why I started out with the 24v E3D vans.  The Duet simply grounds the (-) side of the fans, so in theory, you could run any voltage you want, as long as you supply the (+) side.  It's much simpler to use whatever voltage the board is running on.  Like you, I suspected something to do with internal regulator circuit on the E3D fans.

wardjr wrote:

I have run 4 separate instances of RH at a time with no issues.  That being said, why would you want to run your duet via RH?

I wouldn't use R-H to run the Duet, just as a front-end for the slicers.

You know Cura has it's own host with the slicer built in. You can also get Slic3r as a stand alone program as well. No need for a host. Unless you need to connect to the printer to send the file to. I only use controllers that have an LCD with an SDcard. That way I never have a PC tied up with printers.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

^What Carl said

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

carl_m1968 wrote:

You know Cura has it's own host with the slicer built in. You can also get Slic3r as a stand alone program as well. No need for a host. Unless you need to connect to the printer to send the file to. I only use controllers that have an LCD with an SDcard. That way I never have a PC tied up with printers.

I'll have to look for the stand-alone Cura.  When I run another instance of R-H to use Cura Engine to slice a calibration object, it creates an additional brim for an imaginary object.

Stand-alone Slic3r generates code that makes the SDWB extrude filament like a fire hose and doesn't even move X, Y, or Z.

I'm just generating the gcode on my computer, then uploading them to the SDWB through the web interface.

Fun times.

-Kevin

knowack wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

I'll have to look for the stand-alone Cura.  When I run another instance of R-H to use Cura Engine to slice a calibration object, it creates an additional brim for an imaginary object.

Stand-alone Slic3r generates code that makes the SDWB extrude filament like a fire hose and doesn't even move X, Y, or Z.

I'm just generating the gcode on my computer, then uploading them to the SDWB through the web interface.

Fun times.

-Kevin

umm, did you set up the parameters for the WB in the stand alone Slic3r??
You have to set it up just like you would if you were going to use RH to run the g-code.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

46 (edited by knowack 2018-12-15 02:22:43)

heartless wrote:
knowack wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Fun times.

-Kevin

umm, did you set up the parameters for the WB in the stand alone Slic3r??
You have to set it up just like you would if you were going to use RH to run the g-code.

Sure did.  That's what makes it so odd.

I'm so close! 

Whenever I try to print gcode, the Z axis does not move for each new layer.  (Movement is normal when manually moving via the browser interface.)  This occurs with two different slicers, so it must be something I've configured in error with the DuetWiFi.

48 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-12-24 04:24:16)

check step/mm setting for z axis, it may moved 0.01mm or smaller during printing

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

yizhou.he wrote:

check step/mm setting for z axis, it may moved 0.01mm or smaller during printing

Yeah, perhaps there's one setting for general movement, and another for printing.  I'll have to look through the configs.

50 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-12-24 18:18:09)

knowack wrote:
yizhou.he wrote:

Yeah, perhaps there's one setting for general movement, and another for printing.  I'll have to look through the configs.

nope, there is only one setting, but when you move manually, you tend to move a long distance, it will only move slower, you may not notice it is moving slower because z-axis move slower than x and y axis anyway. When it prints, if it raise slower, you may feel it is not raise at all but it actually moved a little just not what you expected.