76 (edited by rhys 2017-11-19 01:06:21)

Re: Davinci Jr/Mini emulating the NFC reader and tag on demand UID cycling

nilezon wrote:
rhys wrote:

boards are now back in stock!
the new board version does support being powered by the printer (no longer requires constant USB Power).

I'm trialing the use of a different online store platform for selling the current batch (link in first post in this thread).

Maybe you can re-program the emulator to automatically respond with a random (full) NFC tag every reboot (power cycle), and remove the need to every connect the emulator to a PC? This would be the ultimate solution to the third-party filament problem.

I had the same Idea the other day and spent time hacking together means to brute force the PACK to try and find patterns  using simple uids  00 01 etc similar to what people did for the password. Then realised yesterday I was wasting my time... Are you offering to share your findings with me?

razor_keen wrote:

Hey I see there is now a free tool to generate the pack codes. Can you use it to make your thingy generate a new code at every start up? That would be cool. Sorry I don't own a Jr so it wouldn't even be useful to me.

There is some people are using this board with davinci mini. the only issue was the USB port placement and there is work-a-rounds for that.

rhys wrote:
razor_keen wrote:

Hey I see there is now a free tool to generate the pack codes. Can you use it to make your thingy generate a new code at every start up? That would be cool. Sorry I don't own a Jr so it wouldn't even be useful to me.

There is some people are using this board with davinci mini. the only issue was the USB port placement and there is work-a-rounds for that.

Why would you need an USB port?
We should design an emulator without USB port, powered by 3.3V from the printers NFC connector cable, emulating the NFC reader and randomizing UID and card id every power cycle.

nilezon wrote:
rhys wrote:
razor_keen wrote:

We should design an emulator without USB port, powered by 3.3V from the printers NFC connector cable, emulating the NFC reader and randomizing UID and card id every power cycle.

I was talking about the current state (manual data upload is required today). the board design does switch to the 3.3v supply if USB is not connected.

but yes, if randomizing UID and calculating of the PACK was implemented the USB port would not be needed.

nilezon wrote:
rhys wrote:
razor_keen wrote:

Pay attention to not only the PACK but also the serial number. It seems that (at least on Mini), there is a kind of local database that records serial numbers and prevent hacking to work if reusing the serial number. This change may occurs with a firmware upgrade in Junior. So, before removing the wires, it may be useful to check this point. Without a USB connection, further upgrades of the emulator firmware may be difficult...

81 (edited by nilezon 2017-11-19 10:07:34)

rhys wrote:
nilezon wrote:
rhys wrote:

I was talking about the current state (manual data upload is required today). the board design does switch to the 3.3v supply if USB is not connected.

but yes, if randomizing UID and calculating of the PACK was implemented the USB port would not be needed.

I'm thinking of buying this one and building a very cheap solution:
https://www.openimpulse.com/blog/produc … ent-board/

Would you mind sharing your i2c code? I will ofc share the key/pack algo.

Edit:
Or this one, so I can update it using usb:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1500

82 (edited by CptnObvious 2017-12-23 10:37:54)

Hi, I am looking into buying this but I have some questions. I am new to 3d printing and just received a Da Vinci Junior with firmware 2.2.7, I want to be able to use any filament (colour) I want.

I have been looking into different solutions and if I understand correctly firmware 2.2.7 checks whether or not he has seen the UID from the chip currently in use before and will not print if it already has seen it an ran it to 0.

Does this mean that for this solution I will need to have unique UID's from unused chips or can it keep using the same one over and over? And if I need an unique one how do I get it?

Hope you can answer these questions and sorry if the answer is obvious, like I said I am new to this. Also is there any kind of video tutorial on how to install this, set it up and use it?

Also where is the shop shipping from (what country) and is the board the only thing I will need or do I need to buy other components?

You wil need to buy paper tags or EMU tag, or a Magic NFC tag in order to keep printing. Once a tag has been run to zero your printer will no longer accept that UID. Take that statement with a grain of salt as eventually you will be able to reuse that UID but we do not know how many UID's the printer stpres.

84 (edited by CptnObvious 2017-12-23 14:50:07)

Thanks for the info, and how/where do I buy these paper tags, Emu tag or Magic NFC tag. And what exactly are those? Is that just a series of number or are they physical NFC tags? Because I thought that using this solution would remove the need of any tags to be read, or am I understanding this solution wrong?

85 (edited by rhys 2017-12-23 15:39:58)

CptnObvious wrote:

Thanks for the info, and how/where do I buy these paper tags, Emu tag or Magic NFC tag. And what exactly are those? Is that just a series of number or are they physical NFC tags? Because I thought that using this solution would remove the need of any tags to be read, or am I understanding this solution wrong?

Your right
This emulator solution doesn't require any tags
It should work with any version but I recommend the latest.

I plan on releasing a update that will automate the generation of a new uid when the remaining "filament" gets low.

Will that be an new software version or hardware(should I wait with buying anything for this new version or will it work with the hardware you sell now)? And how do I go about getting new UID if I where to use them manually?

CptnObvious wrote:

Will that be an new software version or hardware(should I wait with buying anything for this new version or will it work with the hardware you sell now)? And how do I go about getting new UID if I where to use them manually?

it will be a software update for existing boards in the mean time you can make up a UID and put it into nfckey.xyz then update the PACK page.

Thank you for all the information. I will look into ordering one in the coming weeks then. Is there perhaps any sort of guide or tutorial I could follow on how to use this? Sorry I am very new to this.

rhys wrote:
CptnObvious wrote:

it will be a software update for existing boards in the mean time you can make up a UID and put it into nfckey.xyz then update the PACK page.

Will the software work on the original boards?

90 (edited by bushy 2017-12-28 20:03:04)

Received my card. I had a spool error a few times. took the card out and reinstalled it and those stopped. The only problem I have know is if the print is over an hour the printer freezes and will not do anything with out doing a power cycle.. Has any one had this problem?

I am not getting a spool serial number in XYZware it just has xxx

Hello rhys, I have written 3 private to know how is the theme of the card that I have bought in your page, if you will send it to me or if it does not work anymore or that is me. The fact is that the thread has been a bit stuck and I would like to know if I made a good investment buying the card, by the way I forgot to tell you that you answered one of the private ones that you sent and you told me that you would send me an email but I have not received anything, the same you confused or that I know. Tell me something please.

yosersoy wrote:

Hello rhys, I have written 3 private to know how is the theme of the card that I have bought in your page, if you will send it to me or if it does not work anymore or that is me. The fact is that the thread has been a bit stuck and I would like to know if I made a good investment buying the card, by the way I forgot to tell you that you answered one of the private ones that you sent and you told me that you would send me an email but I have not received anything, the same you confused or that I know. Tell me something please.

yosersoy, why don't you ask the community here your questions?  Perhaps we can help. 

As far as an investment, well that depends on your view.  I have have an original card , the second one he produced.  I still believe that it is a good investment because:
I use my DaVinci TagManager to manage creation of tag data and simply upload the resulting txt file to the emulator card and I am good to go.   
I have eliminated unnecessary and redundant hardware ( ncf talking to ncf talking to the printer ) and now have my Raspberry Pi talking directly to the printer via the emulator.

Rhys plans on update his software to generate a random UID generate the PW/PACK and directly program them emulator.

So, what issues are you having?

No, no problem, maybe it is a misunderstanding.
The only thing I wanted is for you to answer rhys saying that everything is going well, that the product that I have bought is on the way or at least that it is in process.
It's the only thing I want to know, because a few days ago I asked for the card and I do not have any news, I think it's fair to ask, I say

Perfectly fair to want to understand if your product shipped.  Mine took several weeks (4 I think) to get to me ( USA).  Good luck.

95 (edited by soymunoz 2018-01-07 07:02:07)

I can open vnTagreader with no problem but I can not run dvjTagmanager.py what am I doing wrong or what am I missing please help I like to print some stuff, thanks for your help and forgive me for not knowing too much or if I am missing a certain step

mjf55 wrote:

As far as an investment, well that depends on your view.  I have have an original card , the second one he produced.  I still believe that it is a good investment because:
I use my DaVinci TagManager to manage creation of tag data and simply upload the resulting txt file to the emulator card and I am good to go.   
I have eliminated unnecessary and redundant hardware ( ncf talking to ncf talking to the printer ) and now have my Raspberry Pi talking directly to the printer via the emulator.

Rhys plans on update his software to generate a random UID generate the PW/PACK and directly program them emulator.

So, what issues are you having?

Glad yours works well for you. Yes shipping takes for ever. I get things faster from china. But back on topic. Does yours transfer the the serial number into the XYZware program? Most of the time the printer says all is well but if the print is more then an hour it freezes. Just received some paper tags to try and see if it is problem with printer just have not had the time.

bushy wrote:

.... Does yours transfer the the serial number into the XYZware program? Most of the time the printer says all is well but if the print is more then an hour it freezes. Just received some paper tags to try and see if it is problem with printer just have not had the time.

So, with my JR, I do not have the cable connected from my computer to the printer, so XYZware does not know anything about the printer status.  My work flow, when using XYZware
1-Slice and save as 3W
2-Winscp the *3W file to the raspberry pi
3- SSH int the RPI and issue threedub -p file.3w

Since I have problems with large 3W files over the RPi->Jr USB port, if it is 3Mb or more I will:
1- Slice and save 3w to SD card
2- On Jr, install SD card and print from SD card.

I have had 12 hour prints work just fine.

Good luck with the paper tag.  Let us know how that works out.

Both paper tags end up with a spool error. So it looks like the only help for mine is going to be a ramps conversion.

bushy wrote:

Both paper tags end up with a spool error. So it looks like the only help for mine is going to be a ramps conversion.

The paper tags solution should work in ALL printers.
You probably have just sent something incorrectly.
There are other threads for discussing the paper/blank tags.

They were sent to me preloaded for a test. The spool serial was not passing to the program with rhys emulator.