Re: Davinci Jr/Mini emulating the NFC reader and tag on demand UID cycling

Sorry, but I don't see where the USB port is located on Emulator photo (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NFC-Tag-Reader- … rmvSB=true), so it's difficult for me to answer.

What I can say: there is some room around the card enclosure, so it should be possible to connect a micro USB cable (with proper enclosure cutting). But I think the best may be to remove the place for ESP-12 module, which will free some space for micro USB connector, removing the need to cut the case.

I'll try to attach a drawing of my idea as I think i'm not as clear as I wish.

tpe wrote:

Sorry, but I don't see where the USB port is located on Emulator photo (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NFC-Tag-Reader- … rmvSB=true), so it's difficult for me to answer.

What I can say: there is some room around the card enclosure, so it should be possible to connect a micro USB cable (with proper enclosure cutting). But I think the best may be to remove the place for ESP-12 module, which will free some space for micro USB connector, removing the need to cut the case.

the micro usb connector is on the back at the end, it is in one of the photos in the listing

28 (edited by tpe 2017-09-13 09:21:27)

rhys wrote:
tpe wrote:

the micro usb connector is on the back at the end, it is in one of the photos in the listing

Thanks. I see it now.

Here is a view of my idea, if possible. Like that, even with my micro USB cable that have quite a long connector, there will be no change to the enclosure.

http://soliforum.com/i/?ukPPKRY.png

Note: if possible, it's better if USB port is on the same PCB side as the other connector.

If you want, and if you’re using Eagle, I can help on PCB rework.

tpe wrote:
rhys wrote:
tpe wrote:

Thanks. I see it now.

Here is a view of my idea, if possible. Like that, even with my micro USB cable that have quite a long connector, there will be no change to the enclosure.

Note: if possible, it's better if USB port is on the same PCB side as the other connector.

I'll consider that idear. even though I'm not currently making use of the ESP 12e foot print I did not want to remove it just yet. (if nothing else allows me to re-purpose the boards if they don't sell)  smile

I do like the idea of removing the need to cut the case. this is the approach I took when designing one for the jr.

rhys wrote:
tpe wrote:
rhys wrote:

Thanks. I see it now.

I'll consider that idear. even though I'm not currently making use of the ESP 12e foot print I did not want to remove it just yet. (if nothing else allows me to re-purpose the boards if they don't sell)  smile

I do like the idea of removing the need to cut the case. this is the approach I took when designing one for the jr.

I understand and I support you. I know that this kind of change may be definitive. But, as I suggested in my previous post, I can help on a fork design without the wireless module.

tpe wrote:
rhys wrote:
tpe wrote:

Thanks. I see it now.

I understand and I support you. I know that this kind of change may be definitive. But, as I suggested in my previous post, I can help on a fork design without the wireless module.

Thanks for your support. I'm having a look at how easily the changes can be made I may I'll consider your offer, I  used kicad and 123D for the board outline (drawing in kicad sucks). how much extra clearance for the USB connector cut out is required?

rhys wrote:
tpe wrote:
rhys wrote:

Thanks for your support. I'm having a look at how easily the changes can be made I may I'll consider your offer, I  used kicad and 123D for the board outline (drawing in kicad sucks). how much extra clearance for the USB connector cut out is required?

Your tools are not a problem for me. Another solution to make it wireless is to use a SPI Wireless bridge. I developed one for my electricity provider counter but it was UART. I don’t know the speed of printer SPI. Do you know it ? This can allow all possibilities in one design. Let say a standard wired module and an add-on module to make it wireless.

My USB connector is 2 cm long (excluding male part, only the extra unfoldable plastic) and 1 mm thicker than the male metal part.

tpe wrote:
rhys wrote:
tpe wrote:

Your tools are not a problem for me. Another solution to make it wireless is to use a SPI Wireless bridge. I developed one for my electricity provider counter but it was UART. I don’t know the speed of printer SPI. Do you know it ? This can allow all possibilities in one design. Let say a standard wired module and an add-on module to make it wireless.

My USB connector is 2 cm long (excluding male part, only the extra unfoldable plastic) and 1 mm thicker than the male metal part.

PM Sent

Where does this fit on the mini?  On the jr, it is in the spool holder inside the printer and I removed that.  I plan to make a small box to fit the 20x20 rails.
Perhaps the mini us similar?

mjf55 wrote:

Where does this fit on the mini?  On the jr, it is in the spool holder inside the printer and I removed that.  I plan to make a small box to fit the 20x20 rails.
Perhaps the mini us similar?

Hello,

Here is the enclosure of the mini.
http://soliforum.com/i/?C5CwLSv.jpg
I guess there is something possible for a box replacement, even with the cabling close to it. But if we can make a circuit that fits into the existing enclosure, I think it’s better.

Well, it's much easier to design a small box than re-layout a board.  But that is up to Rhys, and he needs to make a common board for both jr and mini.

Hi. This is great work and seeing as my less than one month old EMUTag seems to be playing up, I'll most probably be putting in an order soon!

Just a quick question. Does the new board have to be connected to the USB cable at all times to power the board and retain tag data? Or does it only need the USB when you're uploading a new Tag?

PeppermintGreen wrote:

Hi. This is great work and seeing as my less than one month old EMUTag seems to be playing up, I'll most probably be putting in an order soon!

Just a quick question. Does the new board have to be connected to the USB cable at all times to power the board and retain tag data? Or does it only need the USB when you're uploading a new Tag?

No to detract from this thread (I've ordered one too smile )- but what issues are you having with the EMUTAG?

39 (edited by mjf55 2017-09-18 15:54:21)

cgrillo wrote:
PeppermintGreen wrote:

No to detract from this thread (I've ordered one too smile )- but what issues are you having with the EMUTAG?

cgrillo, here is PG's problem.  any thoughts?  http://www.soliforum.com/topic/16755/em … d-working/

p.s. glad you ordered one.  I think it is a great product.

PeppermintGreen wrote:

While the emulator WILL retain tag data across power cycles, it does need the usb cable for power to function as an emulator.
Not sure if there are any pins to tap for just power.

Rhys, If you dont already have it, a power power port for normal running would be a good idea.

Hi cgrillo. It was working perfectly fine printing one morning, then all of a sudden can no longer be read by anything.

And getting back to the thread! I'd definitely second an additional method for powering it. Is there a 5v source anywhere within the printer that we could tap?

PeppermintGreen wrote:

Hi cgrillo. It was working perfectly fine printing one morning, then all of a sudden can no longer be read by anything.

And getting back to the thread! I'd definitely second an additional method for powering it. Is there a 5v source anywhere within the printer that we could tap?

I've responded in your original thread - rather than hijack this one.

Received my board today.
Probably won't have time to test it until the weekend.

Just had another successful upload of new data to the emulator.  That means I used 300M successfully with the emulator. 
Big Smile.

Just ordered mine for the Jr big_smile

cgrillo wrote:

Received my board today.
Probably won't have time to test it until the weekend.

Didn't get to test mine - not enough hours in the weekend sad

mjf55 wrote:

Just had another successful upload of new data to the emulator.  That means I used 300M successfully with the emulator. 
Big Smile.

Great to hear.

Did those back-ordered parts make it in by chance? smile

sethgandy wrote:

Did those back-ordered parts make it in by chance? smile

Yep, all good I'll be sending out orders beginning of next week

50 (edited by cgrillo 2017-10-01 12:09:35)

OK, I'm completely new to Python so am probably doing a really silly thing - but I can't get the instructions on
https://github.com/rhysbryant/readerEmulatorClient
to work....

C:\Users\Charlie\Desktop\readerEmulatorClient>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Python\python.exe" readerClient.py --readerPath=COM1 --file=pageData.txt --cmd=writeToFile
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "readerClient.py", line 22, in <module>
    import readerSerialConnection
  File "C:\Users\Charlie\Desktop\readerEmulatorClient\readerSerialConnection.py", line 22, in <module>
    import serial
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'serial'

Python is installed in the path specified.
Module has been changed to COM1

**EDIT***
OK, installed pyserial using PIP...

now get..

File "readerClient.py", line 161, in <module>
    main()
  File "readerClient.py", line 153, in main
    c.connect(args.readerPath)
  File "C:\Users\Charlie\Desktop\readerEmulatorClient\readerSerialConnection.py", line 27, in connect
    self.serial = serial.Serial(comport)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Python\lib\site-packages\serial\serialwin32.py", line 31, in __init__
    super(Serial, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Python\lib\site-packages\serial\serialutil.py", line 240, in __init__
    self.open()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Python\lib\site-packages\serial\serialwin32.py", line 62, in open
    raise SerialException("could not open port {!r}: {!r}".format(self.portstr, ctypes.WinError()))
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port 'COM1': FileNotFoundError(2, 'The system cannot find the file specified.', None, 2)

** EDIT 2 **
Ran as administrator
Getting better smile

Writing
No output..  but an empty file

Reading

C:\Users\Charlie\Desktop\readerEmulatorClient>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Python\python.exe" readerClient.py --readerPath="COM1" --file=pageData.txt --cmd=readFromFile
  File "readerClient.py", line 161, in <module>
    main()
  File "readerClient.py", line 158, in main
    reader.writePagesFromFile(args.file)
  File "readerClient.py", line 82, in writePagesFromFile
    line2 = line.rstrip('\n')
TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'

What format must the input file be in?