Re: Davinci Jr/Mini emulating the NFC reader and tag on demand UID cycling

choppman42 wrote:

Hello, I have a da Vinci Jr. 1.0. My firmware is 2.2.8. I am interested in buying one of these if it can be used to reset a nfc chip to be able to use different spools in the system.

Do you have a video showing how to use it on a da Vinci Jr. 1.0

How can I purchase one of these from you?

I'm sure Rhys can sort you a video - but in the meantime...

This does not reset a NFC chip.
It is not a replacement for a NFC chip.
It is the replacement for the NFC reader AND the NFC chip.

It works flawlessly - just using a magnet to set the temperature and also as I believe firmware updateable smile

I have purchased this item and emailed support, but I have not gotten word of it being shipped after a few days. I have not gotten a reply to the support email I sent.

choppman42 wrote:

I have purchased this item and emailed support, but I have not gotten word of it being shipped after a few days. I have not gotten a reply to the support email I sent.

To my knowledge these are made and supplied by some guy that does this in his spare time and is not actually a business. That being said he may not confirm shipments nor supply tracking information.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

choppman42 wrote:

I cannot see an email from you can you please PM me  your order number and description of the issue.

rhys wrote:
cgrillo wrote:
rhys wrote:

the same functionality could not easily be achieved on the existing v1 boards.

ah bugger sad

just to add,
sure there is two points on the board that if you jumper-ed a wire between them it would run off the power pin of the connector but then there is no isolation between the printers 3.3v rail and the boards own 3.3v regulator powered by USB connector when connected to USB this may cause issues. the cut over between the two power sources is implemented on the v2 boards.

I realize this is an old post, but for the record, a dual, common-cathode low drop Schottky diode is your friend here. This allows two power sources, but no back-drive. The board could then be powered by either the internal printer supply or the USB cable.

Also, just semantics, but USB does not use the terms "master" and "slave" they use the terms "host" and "device" instead.

Just a thank you to Rhys.
I have just done a 36 hour print with no issues at all - well apart from the first print failing with the extruder clogging up after 24hrs sad

Hi rhys

I have read through the topic, but I am still slightly confused (Apologies I am a novice).

Is your emulator simply a plug and play, once installed you don't have any further things you have to do unless you wish to change temp with a magnet?

If so I will order one straight away and finally be free of all this filament constraint!

Cheers

Jamie

rhys wrote:

http://soliforum.com/i/?ZkbtiBb.jpg
Background

One of my many hobby projects over the last couple of months has been implementing the emulating of the PN512 and NTAG213 layers on a PIC32 micro controller And also designing a board that’s a drop in replacement for the existing reader board.

It works!! I've been using this with my printer for a number of weeks and so far all good.

this project consumed many hours like any complex project I encountered my fair share of software bugs, I ended up developing specific tooling to simulate the printer (by replaying capture logs) in order to find and fix some odd issues I encountered.

this was a hobby project likely all my hobby projects this was designed by me for me if people want to buy the PCB that’s just a bonus smile so just putting out there that this exists as an option.

python based tool/module for reading  and writing to the emulated tag can be found here

https://github.com/rhysbryant/readerEmulatorClient.

hardware (assembled PCBs) are available for purchase at the following Online store
https://voltprojectsstore.ecwid.com

So if anyone is interested in this project let me know

Update

board version 2 now available at above store link

One touch UID cycling, simply hold a magnet with in about 1 cm of the board until the led starts flashing to cyclic the tag's UID. and remaining filament. see store for full details

How do you install this device in the printer as I will be ordering one if it works with firmware 2.3.5

duncan.barton28 wrote:
rhys wrote:

Background

One of my many hobby projects over the last couple of months has been implementing the emulating of the PN512 and NTAG213 layers on a PIC32 micro controller And also designing a board that’s a drop in replacement for the existing reader board.

It works!! I've been using this with my printer for a number of weeks and so far all good.

this project consumed many hours like any complex project I encountered my fair share of software bugs, I ended up developing specific tooling to simulate the printer (by replaying capture logs) in order to find and fix some odd issues I encountered.

this was a hobby project likely all my hobby projects this was designed by me for me if people want to buy the PCB that’s just a bonus smile so just putting out there that this exists as an option.

python based tool/module for reading  and writing to the emulated tag can be found here

hardware (assembled PCBs) are available for purchase at the following Online store

Update

One touch UID cycling, simply hold a magnet with in about 1 cm of the board until the led starts flashing to cyclic the tag's UID. and remaining filament. see store for full details

How do you install this device in the printer as I will be ordering one if it works with firmware 2.3.5

I'm surprised Rhys hasn't replied.

I can't give any photos as I have already done this, but it's a case of replacing the actual NTAG reader - the whole circuit board that lives in the spool holder.  You remove that and there is one wire connecting it (that goes into the frame and back to the motherboard).  Just plug that cable into this little board and it's done.

cgrillo wrote:
duncan.barton28 wrote:
rhys wrote:

Background

Update

I'm surprised Rhys hasn't replied.

I can't give any photos as I have already done this, but it's a case of replacing the actual NTAG reader - the whole circuit board that lives in the spool holder.  You remove that and there is one wire connecting it (that goes into the frame and back to the motherboard).  Just plug that cable into this little board and it's done.

Thanks for confirmation, I have now ordered and fingers crossed I can get it to work smile

Cheers

Jamie

I'm surprised he is using those fragile reed switches. Why not use a hall sensor?

137 (edited by rhys 2018-08-03 13:44:54)

carl_m1968 wrote:

I'm surprised he is using those fragile reed switches. Why not use a hall sensor?

I did not think of it. but good idear i'll consider it when I next revise the design.

Ordered 8/22, shipped 8/24, received in New York state on 9/8.

I couldn't be happier with this little device.  I had been working with blank nfc stickers, but was running into some problems getting unrecognized spool errors.  This was incredibly easy to install on my Davinci Jr 1.0w (I was up and running with it in maybe 10 minutes).

Overly detailed install on the Davinci Jr:

1. Remove the 2 screws at base of spool holder

2. Pull the spool holder away from printer wall

3. Unplug the cable from the NFC reader

4. Remove spool holder (forever)

5. Plug the reader's cable into the device

6. Mount device as you see fit

7. Done

Thanks rhys!

139 (edited by kurisun 2018-10-24 23:40:28)

ItsJustDave wrote:

Ordered 8/22, shipped 8/24, received in New York state on 9/8.

I couldn't be happier with this little device.  I had been working with blank nfc stickers, but was running into some problems getting unrecognized spool errors.  This was incredibly easy to install on my Davinci Jr 1.0w (I was up and running with it in maybe 10 minutes).

Overly detailed install on the Davinci Jr:

1. Remove the 2 screws at base of spool holder

2. Pull the spool holder away from printer wall

3. Unplug the cable from the NFC reader

4. Remove spool holder (forever)

5. Plug the reader's cable into the device

6. Mount device as you see fit

7. Done

Thanks rhys!

Ordered: 10/2
Shipped: 10/8
Arrived: 10/24

Just opened by Rev3 board and the install was as simple as that.  It took me longer to get the machine-tightened screws out of the spool holder!

Machine is now printing a calibration cube with some hatchbox PLA for testing, but I haven't done anything aside from plug the thing into the ribbon and load new filament (NFC-free!).

Well worth the wait, and the price makes it great for using custom filament in cases where you don't want to change out the board or use tags.

Thanks Rhys!

https://i.imgur.com/DNrS2MC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KdqBZ8y.jpg

Edit:
Can I upgrade the printer to the latest firmware with this board installed?  It sounds like it should be fine since the printer shouldn't even be able to tell that this device is installed, but just want to double check.

Thanks for the feedback

Can I upgrade the printer to the latest firmware with this board installed?

Yes I would recommend this

rhys wrote:

Thanks for the feedback

Can I upgrade the printer to the latest firmware with this board installed?

Yes I would recommend this

And I can confirm it works with the latest Jr firmware too smile

Just updated, thanks for the confirmation.  Can't seem to find any sort of patch notes on what these firmware updates do though haha.

Hello,
In appreciation to the work that you guys have done here, I would like to offer my tiny contribution sharing the link to the
XYZ Da Vinci Mini arm extension https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3290959 that I have designed to better suport 1kg filament reeels.
Hope you enjoy.

Hi there!

I just ordered one and I can't get this to work. I replaced the original NFC Reader Board with the one I got, then powered my printer on. I see a flashing green light from the emulator board and can change the temperature with a magnet but the software is saying that no spool is installed and I get no metres. What am I doing wrong?

My printer is a Da Vinci Mini w...

Maybe somebody has had the same issue like me and has an anwser... Hopefully...

And sorry for reactivating this old thread... :-)

Zabbel wrote:

Hi there!

I just ordered one and I can't get this to work. I replaced the original NFC Reader Board with the one I got, then powered my printer on. I see a flashing green light from the emulator board and can change the temperature with a magnet but the software is saying that no spool is installed and I get no metres. What am I doing wrong?

My printer is a Da Vinci Mini w...

Maybe somebody has had the same issue like me and has an anwser... Hopefully...

And sorry for reactivating this old thread... :-)

I have V1 of the board and experienced similar problems earlier this week. Unfortunately it may be related to the latest firmware XYZ sent down. I went from 1.2.7. => 1.2.9 when the problems started; what version are you on? It may indicate they changed something with the protocol or added a new sanity check.

I'm sure rhys will chime in.

I have V1 of the board and experienced similar problems earlier this week. Unfortunately it may be related to the latest firmware XYZ sent down. I went from 1.2.7. => 1.2.9 when the problems started; what version are you on? It may indicate they changed something with the protocol or added a new sanity check.

Ok... This can be the problem... I'm on 1.2.9... So bad... So, this means I have 2 Options... Downgrade the firmware or wait for rhys reply...

Zabbel wrote:

Ok... This can be the problem... I'm on 1.2.9... So bad... So, this means I have 2 Options... Downgrade the firmware or wait for rhys reply...

You could just use paper tags. It should not matter with them.

carl_m1968 wrote:
Zabbel wrote:

Paper tags probably the safest option for now. I actually tried downgrading back to 1.2.7 with modfreakz program w/o success.

jeboo wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
Zabbel wrote:

Paper tags probably the safest option for now. I actually tried downgrading back to 1.2.7 with modfreakz program w/o success.

I don't have access to a Da Vinci Mini but updated the firmware on my Da Vinci Jr to fw 2.4.5 just now and a previously working "Tag" payload is now showing as unidentified. I'll have a look into this and report back. I'm thinking this maybe caused by a black listed serial number but thats just a guess right now.

150 (edited by rhys 2019-03-18 08:49:59)

rhys wrote:
jeboo wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

I don't have access to a Da Vinci Mini but updated the firmware on my Da Vinci Jr to fw 2.4.5 just now and a previously working "Tag" payload is now showing as unidentified. I'll have a look into this and report back. I'm thinking this maybe caused by a black listed serial number but thats just a guess right now.

I got round to looking into this on the weekend.
I don't have a simple fix for this. I have an idea as to how to work round this new limitation but will require a redesign. This may take some time.

How many people currently have this issue (board not working with new firmware)? Please let me know if you have it the issue.