Topic: Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus (or... Learning to 3d print by a total newb)

The title says it all. I have touched maybe 3 prints in my life ... one very well done, 1/32 scale print of a ww2 ships gun, and a couple of 1/24 scale, poorly printed, tug boat fittings. So, as the prisoner of war camp guard said "I know nuffing".

I did a lot of surfing and found I was just getting more and more confused. All of the decent deals were coming from the US, but I live in Canada. The current exchange rate is nearly 30 cents on the dollar, against me. Shipping from the US in most cases is expensive to say the least. Warranty support can be very iffy.

At first, I was going to build a machine from a kit ... then I joined a couple of user groups and started to read build threads. At one point in my life, I would have happily gone through all the gyrations, hoops and hurdles that I read about in the build threads, but I am now, nearly 70, with all the ailments that come with that, and I felt I had a better chance of success with a pre-built machine.

I wanted a Canadian supplier with a popular design of a machine and I found that.

So, I jumped in and ordered a Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus. It should be here later this week.

I have done more, and more, and more reading.

I have discovered a possible flaw in the machine I bought. Apparently, and I won't know until I get it, this style of tower type printer can have unstable towers. The one I bought is the latest variant so we will see. However, if there is a problem, it is easily fixed with a couple of supports. A quick look on Thingyverse came up with both upper and lower brackets to mount on the machine and they are connected by hardware store threaded rod.

Also, from what I read, the printer head cooling fan shroud doesn't work all that well. The fix for that is also on Thingyverse.

I understand that there are shortcomings in some of these machines. All of my shop machines are of the same parentage and all required mods, tweaks and sorting out so I am used to it.

For us to have the ability to have a 3d printer at home is, to me, one of the miracles of our age. They are in their infancy and the changes will come hot and heavy, just as computers did in the early days.(My first one had a whopping 16k of memory)

I am looking forward to this journey and all of the discoveries ahead. It will be a huge learning curve for this tired mind, but with help, it will work out fine.

Mods, if this thread is not appropriate, or is in the wrong place, please let me know.

Tom

I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!
Wanhao Duplicator I3 Plus with glass bed, MK10 All Metal Hot End

Re: Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus (or... Learning to 3d print by a total newb)

Hi Tom!

I think your post is fine here.

Kind of funny, but when my significant other purchased our first one, I asked "why?" - then I got the bug, and got it bad! I was determined to make it do what I wanted it to do, and the reading, researching and modifications began... all starting with a bad USB trace on the controller board.

Fast forward about a year and a half - we now have 4, and recently sold one that didn't get used much. Of the 5 we have/had - 3 were kits, 2 are pre-builts, but they have been heavily modified. My favorite is still the first one, however, but that machine and I have been through a LOT together, LOL.

It seems it is a never ending learning process, but that is just fine by me, I crave knowledge like a junkie craves a fix. 3D printing satisfies both my technical/mechanical side and my artistic side - the best of both worlds all wrapped up into one machine. smile

oh, and I love your signature - I think you and I had the same tailor! LOL

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Hi Heartless. 

I'm not too excited about all this ... (err, the time here is 3:28 AM.)

I have to ask ... Why 4 machines? Do you do commercial stuff or are they all that different in how they work? I see you are not the only one to have more than a single machine. When it comes down to it ... why did I clear enough space on my bench for two?

My machine started it's journey yesterday morning in a purple and white truck in Calgary.

I have been reading, and downloading software and playing. Most of the software is a waste of time at this point as it is hard to configure without a printer attached. I have found some things I want to have a go at ... One of the Mostly Printed laser cutters comes to mind, as does a self printed and built scanner. (Perhaps I should clean off the whole bench so that I have more room.)

I have two milling machines and two metal lathes in my shop, and I don't really need that many. One of each could easily go away.

Anyway, I digress.  Part of the reason for getting into the 3d printing is the fact that it is getting close to the time where I need to downsize and even to think about selling the house (shoveling snow and cutting lawns are killers ... literally) and moving into something that is more maintenance free. The idea of getting rid of my other machines actually doesn't bother me that much, but the idea of sitting around with little to do, does. I could never afford cnc machines, although I was interested in them because of the technology.

Now, we come back to the 3d printer and what is needed to learn how to do it properly. From what I can see, there is enough to learn about the machine itself to take up a year or so of my life. What with bed temps and hot end temps and extrusion speed and printing speed and all the different materials and at what parameters each one works at ...

I haven't even got to all the software yet ... or the idea of taking all the stuff that the manufacturer so carefully put together ... and throwing it all in the bin, knowing that the package that you have in mind will work "better", even if it takes 6 months!

My machine is still on the truck and I am thinking of modifications. I physically need it here to do the frame braces I have in mind. I already have most of the material for said braces sitting in a pile. The threaded rod just needs to be cut to length. Me ... anxious to get started ... Never!!

Enough rambling ... I better get two or three hours of learning 123Design in before domestic duty starts.

Cheers

Tom

I have to ask ... Why 4 machines ?

Many in this hobby have more than one printer. Lots of reasons for multiple printers.
Wanting a better one/ upgrade.
Having a second printer to make parts to rear the other one.
Dedicated printer for different materials  saves hassles of changing materials .
Wanting to try experience various designs especial y delta vs cartesian .
Some people print to make a few bucks to feed the habit.
They are like potato chips hard have just one.
Talking to folks not uncommon to have 3 printers.

Tom when you get your printer learn to tune it and tune the software. Try to learn from it let it teach you what it needs to make good quality prints . A prusa may have some y wobble but you will not know until you try . I have not noticed any but a lot of my prints are not at all tall.  Every printer is different you need to learn it .
People of want to get a better printer instead of taking time to learn how to create better prints on the one in front of them.
Hope this helps
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Hi Tin

Thinking about it, I can understand multiple machines. All I have to do is ask myself why I have two lathes and two mills.

If required, I can use this mod to help with rigidity ...  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:921948

I guess there comes a point when we have to say enough is enough unless we want to go all out and either build/buy a larger, heavier, more commercial machine which most of us don't need.

I am trying to finish up a couple of projects that I know won't get done once the machine is here. Plus it is still r/c sailing for a few weeks yet so my experimenting time will be limited.

Cheers

Tom

6 (edited by Tin Falcon 2016-07-19 22:34:33)

Plus it is still r/c sailing for a few weeks yet so my experimenting time will be limited.

But there must be some sailboat part you just need to print . Not a distraction and UPGRADE......

I guess there comes a point when we have to say enough is enough unless we want to go all out and either build/buy a larger, heavier, more commercial machine which most of us don't need.

Commercial machines are a whole different animal. They are good but the tweaking upgrading option is not really there . I have use of a nice ABS machine with a heated chamber.  it does a fantastic job on ABSplus . but the material is a lot more expensive and there is no material choice and limited color choice.

Part of the fun of this hobby is to push the limits and go beyond  but there are eventually  going to be a point where the effort and cost in time and money to make it better faster stronger   will be greater than the returns  and then likely time for a "better machine"

The hard part is knowing at what point does one push and tweak and experiment and at what point s the point of diminished returns.

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

7 (edited by wagnmkr 2016-07-20 00:14:21)

"But there must be some sailboat part you just need to print . Not a distraction and UPGRADE...... "

Not really Tin. After weeks of tweeking, she is good to go. I COULD say that about some r/c tug boat parts that need doing though!

Had a play with Repartier (sp) and I managed to make some gcode for a couple of parts on Thingyverse. That worked well once I got the hang of it.

In the past I have had a hard time knowing when to give up on something, but I have been better lately.
Cheers

Tom

sorry, i have been at work most of the day, and trying to work out a fix for one of my 4 printers, LOL (go figure)

as to why 4?

Well, 2 are pretty much the same, giving me double the output capacity (i make and sell "brain teaser" puzzles and do some custom printing on the side) - these 2 are Solidoodle 4 models (or were, anyway. they have been heavily modified). These are fully enclosed printers and capable of printing at high temperatures.

1 is a delta type - fascinating machines! I keep it around more for fun than anything. this one was a kit.

And the newest one is an "extra large" size - but it is a fairly new kit on the market, and as such has a few bugs to work out. (this is the one I am working on the 'fix' for)

The one I sold was a Prusa i3 model - similar to what you are getting, but in full kit form with the frame made of 2020 aluminum extrusion. It was the first kit we purchased, and I learned a lot from building it, but found that I didn't use it much and decided it should go to someone who will put it to use. The person I sold it to is quite happy with it and using it regularly.

for printing software, I much prefer using Repetier Host and Slic3r, but one does need to perform good calibrations to get the best results.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Hi Heartless

I am beginning to understand the multiple printer idea, and it makes perfect sense now that I think about it.

With this technology changing almost every day, it is going to be difficult to keep up. I am also sure there are going to be some "upgrades" that are actually going to go backwards. That is why I joined here, so I can keep up with what is new, and also find out about "the ones that don't work.

I now have Repetier Host of both my Mac and my W10 machine. The Mac is 4 years old but I have to say that speed wise, is the winner, so it is going to be my main drawing/slicing machine. I quite like that software combination and I am going to stick with and learn that one. Once I learn where to make all of the adjustment for the temps and slices and speeds, I should be able to get some better results.

My printer is supposed to have a full size sd slot so I will likely use that feature. I am not sure yet if I will have the computer actually hooked to the printer or not.

I just found out yesterday that another member of my local model engineering group has jumped in the 3d printer pool as well. He is younger though and his brain still works well so he should have no trouble.

Question Time (Ya had to know there would be one):
I am opening a minefield here I know but I have downloaded the free 123Design program, and also Blender. Again, I have them on both machines and the Mac wins again. Now, I am not interested in designing a new space shuttle (this year anyway). I would like to be able to draw and print some simple things to start with. Which one would you use?

I finally realize that I have been going about learning cad the wrong way. At one point I had five different ones on my machine and I was trying them all at once. That just really confused me, so this time I would like to use just one and actually learn how to use it.

That's it for now

Tom

Hi Tom.

For simple, easier to learn, easy to use, 123D is probably the better choice over Blender.

I do use both, depending on what I am doing, but I had played with Blender prior to getting into 3D printing so had at least a working knowledge of it. Blender has a much steeper learning curve but is also a very powerful tool once you understand how it works.

for some great videos to learn the basics of 123D Design, I highly recommend these: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOZ-4b … sZQ/videos 123D does have some limitations, but for most needs it works quite well.

There are also some very good videos on YouTube to learn the basics of Blender as well, but yeah, I would learn these one at a time. Once you are comfortable with one, then work on adding the other.

Oh, and to save your work on your computer (instead of 123D's cloud server) when you go to save, use the "Save a Copy" selection, then "To my Computer", not the standard "Save".

just about time to get ready for work... Have a great day!

Heartless, Thanks Again for all the info.

Tom

While I wait for the knock on the door to say my printer is here, this is a list of some of the books I have looked at so far ...

Idiot's guide to 3d printing by Cameron Coward. I good read, with a lot of common sense solutions to problems. Easy to read and understand.

Design For 3D Printing, by Samuel Bernier, Tatiana Reinhard and Bertier Luyt.  I could'nt get into this one at all, but there does seem to be a bunch of info there.

3D Printers, a beginners guide, by Oliver Bothman. A reasonable read with some good links to source files and resources.

I'm sure I will understand more of it all once I get to play.

Tom

reading and learning as much as you can is great, but there is nothing like getting your hands on the printer, and actually doing things with it.

Every printer will be just a little bit different, and you will need to work out what works best for you and your printer. there are very few "carved in stone" things when it comes to these beasts.

Things like temperature settings, calibrating for a given filament, etc., will vary from one printer to another, and one spool of filament to another.

You can use settings suggested by others as a general guide, but don't get too hung up on the exact numbers. Be willing to tweak things a little until they work well for you.

If you don't already have them, a good set of calipers with metric readout is an invaluable tool when 3d printing. they are very useful to measure filament diameter, and for measuring printed calibration pieces to make sure your settings are correct.

14 (edited by wagnmkr 2016-07-22 18:57:02)

Hi Heartless,

Until a week or so ago, I didn't even know how to spell 3d printer. The reading was to get an idea of hardware, software, recommended machines etc. I totally agree that if we had the exact same machines, they would not likely be "exactly" the same. I am ready for the tweaking and playing. I have 2 milling machines and a 9 x 20 lathe that came from the far east and they all required some tlc.

Speaking of tlc.  My machine has arrived. I sort of have it together. First problem is that the "A" electrical cable eas zip tied too tite in transport, and it has chafed quite badly. I have emailed my supplier and sent him a pic of the damage.

I will enclose the pic here as well. There seems to be a lot of slack in that cable and I have fine electronic solder and shrink tube in the required size. I am wondering if it would be prudent for me just to cut out the bad bit and slice/solder it together again for a permanent fix?

Edit In: On instructions from my supplier to just separate the cable at the chafe point and tape the wires, turn on and test.  Good news ... it works! No printing yet, but it hums and whirs and all of the axis move freely. He is getting a new cable to me next week.
Tom

Post's attachments

P1050485.jpg
P1050485.jpg 137.34 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

P1050486.jpg
P1050486.jpg 198.47 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

15 (edited by wagnmkr 2016-07-22 22:43:36)

OK, so ... it took three goes ... first print was on the bare bed ... popped off at about 1/3 done.

2nd print on bed with hairspray ... didn't make 1/4 and popped off, but this time the raft was purfect and popped off the base of the print.

3rd print on green painters tape on bed ... 100% finished ... popped off when cool ... no problems

Am I impressed with out of the box performance ... you bet.

Is my wife surprised, happy ... no stink and no noise ... You Bet!

Am I going to be up at 4am printing away ... nope!

Tomhttp://soliforum.com/i/?FrYE000.jpg

This is magnified a whole bunch of times and the print looks way better in person ... really. You can see there is not a whole lot of flash left, and I haven't done anything to this.

Tom

Fantastic start  you probably need to tune a bit   but you are getting prints.

now you have the printer you may want to browse this link.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin … eshooting/

tin

Hi Tin

I have moved the bed temp from 40 to 50c and I moved the head temp for pla from 200 to 205c and I am printing up another hand.

I have a touch lcd on my machine and the adjustments seem to be very limited. I wonder, will I have better control of things like filament speed etc., if I hook the machine to a computer?

Tom

18 (edited by heartless 2016-07-23 05:00:43)

Yes, you would have a LOT more control using the computer and Repetier Host.

and Congrats on your first successful 3D print! smile

It does look like it is over-extruding a little judging by the roughness, but not bad for a first go.

Hi Heartless

I will have to make some more room and put a computer beside the printer.

I checked again this morning and there is definitely no controls for the extruder speeds and even the extruder temps only go to 200 on the touch screen.

The print that I did yesterday was with the sample pla filament and I am doing one now with the roll I bought from my supplier. From what I can see so far, it is working better.

Even after only a couple of prints, I can already see what I would like in a next machine. Self leveling is on top of the list, as well as a machine where the bed only goes up and down and not wiggle all over the place. This one seems to be good for things that are not very tall (like the parts for the support frames or the bits for another printer).

I am out for most of today but I should have time to play tomorrow.

Tom

in all honesty - "the best auto leveling system is the one that is not needed" (quoted from someone else here wink )

Once you get things dialed in well you really shouldn't need to mess with bed level much.

if you haven't done so yet, I recommend doing a bit of calibration - on both the printer and filament. It is best to do this with the printer hooked up to a computer, making any changes needed easier to do.

Here are a couple of blog posts I wrote that go into detail on how to calibrate for accurate prints.
Part 1: http://northwoods3d.weebly.com/blog/fil … ion-part-1
Part 2: http://northwoods3d.weebly.com/blog/-fl … coming-out

The information contained in those posts was mostly gleaned from the great folks here on Soliforum in bits and pieces scattered around, a little from other sources, and some of it being trial and error... I wanted to get everything together in one place and in a fairly comprehensive format to try to help others.

Hope you are having a great weekend! and we look forward to seeing more prints from you. smile

heartless wrote:

in all honesty - "the best auto leveling system is the one that is not needed" (quoted from someone else here wink )

Where do you come up with these crazy thoughts wink

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:
heartless wrote:

Where do you come up with these crazy thoughts wink

I just dont know, wardjr - they just pop up from time to time. wink

and thus far, I have seen no need for auto-leveling once I get things set right. (out of 5 printers so far - one of which has a fixed bed plate)

23 (edited by wagnmkr 2016-07-24 16:26:47)

Well, I have 4 computers in the house and the new printer won't talk to any of them ... but ... I don't really care now. I found one of my newbie mistakes. In Repetier, I was using their protocol for slicing. I tried using the Cura protocol and did a couple of tweeks in filament size and speed, and voila ... it all works now.

I have the control I was after without having a computer hooked up so I am a happy bunny.

I am currently printing the parts for the brace kit for my printer.

Tom

Post's attachments

P1050508.jpg 198.82 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

24 (edited by wagnmkr 2016-07-26 10:29:05)

At the moment, all problems are solved. The replacement ribbon cable arrived yesterday by mail, so the one that was damaged in shipping is gone.

At first, the machine would not talk to a computer but I have managed to sort that that as well. Unfortunately it was the PC that got hooked up, but it will only be used if required as I will print from a card most of the time.

I am very pleased at this point with the print quality, but there is always room for improvement, so I will tweak a bit as I go. I feel like I have had this machine forever instead of just about 5 days.

I am nearly done with the brace kit, so once that is installed, there won' likely be any more mods to the machine as it will do what I got it for ... make another machine.

I just need to choose the one I want to do.

All in all, if someone is looking for an easy to use, pretty good quality out of the box, and in a mid range price, I can recommend the Wanhao Duplicater I3 Plus.  This machine is very quiet in use and quite solid.

I would like to Thank everyone here who helped me with answers to my questions. There will be more of them I am sure, but for now I am on my way.

Cheers

Tom

glad to hear you have things sorted out and running. smile