Re: Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus (or... Learning to 3d print by a total newb)

Howdy, Tom. I'm 65, been dinking with 3D printers for about three years, off and on. I have two now, one is a Duplicator i3 and, like you, I am quite happy with it. I second Tin Falcon's nod toward Simplify3D software IF you ever get frustrated with your stuff. Not only does it SImplify things, it has some powerful features AND works with many different types of printers. So, if you end up with more printers, they will all "look" the same instead of having to maybe learn multiple SW programs.

Good luck, happy trails and have fun with the new hobby.

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

27 (edited by wagnmkr 2016-07-26 21:42:16)

I am definitely going to have more ... I LOVE this technology!!!!! ... What am I going to do with it? ... at this point, I will use it to improve the one I have, and build me another one! I am going to figure out what the ultimate machine might be with resources that are available, and go for it!

Anyone want to buy a modestly equipped machine shop?

Tom

I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!
Wanhao Duplicator I3 Plus with glass bed, MK10 All Metal Hot End

Uhhht OOOOh heees hooked and bad.  !!!
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

ummm, yup - he is definitely hooked and swallowed the lure! hook, line, and sinker! LOL

So, if you end up with more printers, they will all "look" the same instead of having to maybe learn multiple SW programs.

stay away from proprietary printers and you have no worries about needing to learn multiple programs (or spending $150).
I have 4 printers - 2 Solidoodles, a kossel and the large format FT-5 - that all run on the same programs - Repetier Host & Slic3r (which are completely free). wink

The only thing that S3D can do that Slic3r does not (yet) is the custom supports, but Meshmixer is quite good at those and it is also free.

In fact, there are things that Slic3r can do that S3D can not do - but to each their own....

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Well, I now have nearly 60 actual printing hours on this puppy and I am just about to push the go button on a 12 hour print.

I am noticing some rattling  (like a loose bolt in a hole) at times and when the machine is making small, quick movements. I took a couple of hours yesterday and went over the entire machine. I took the bottom cover off and checked everything under there. I can find nothing loose, no spare parts, or anything rubbing.

The noise seems to be coming from the linear bearings that support the bed. Is there a way to lubricate them? Also, are there any better quality replacements for this type of bearing?

My other question is about nozzle size. This machine has a .4 nozzle and a friend suggested that I go to a .2. I don't think I need to go that small as I am not doing any super detail work (yet). I am mostly doing the brace mods for this machine, as well as the beds for a couple of engine builds.  Could I go to a .3 as a compromise to get a tad more quality? I know I would have to fiddle with things to get it all dialed in again, but that is part of it isn't it.

I got a hardened nozzle so I can try some different materials and I am wondering ... how do I change it? Does the machine have to be on so the old nozzle is warm ... hot? Do I do it with everything cold? Extruder on or off of the machine? I can't seem to find any instructions anywhere.

My wife ia up now ... gotta go press the go button.

1) sounds like you are having fun and getting lots of printing done.
2)  A very good idea to check screws etc at this point thinks can loosen up.
3) Bearings: When I built my prusa the linear bearings were quite stiff then freed up nicely after a few hours of printing.
Yes they should get some lube. Exactly what lube seems to be a matter of preference , experience and opinion. If you want to get heroic yo can disassemble and put a good teflon grease inside the bearings just slide the bearing off the rod to get inside. liquid lube with teflon an option, lithium grease,A light lubrication that will not drip off the rods and will not collect dirt.  way oil. all will work .
Better gearing are absolutely an option Mcmaster carr sells them  but very pricey at  $ 30 us per bearing so you would end up at about $30 each. Misumi USA has an excellent rep for price and quality  Seem like they have a toronto sales office to help you.

Smaller nozzles are best for small prints with a rounded top.  You  can increase resolution bu making layer height .2 or .3  as well.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

32 (edited by wagnmkr 2016-07-31 11:44:12)

Tin Falcon wrote:

You  can increase resolution bu making layer height .2 or .3  as well.

I do use .3 most of the time. I have used.2, but it doesn't seem to put out enough filament at that setting so I just leave it at .3.

In some of the hours of reading, I saw that one should set layer height at 80% of nozzle size for optimum printing. Following that line of thinking, to get a good quality .2 line, one should use a #3 nozzle. I might get a 3 with my next filament order, but that will be a while as I just got 4 rolls last week.

The pic shows the results from using .3 on a .4 nozzle. These are printing now.

Post's attachments

P1050517.jpg
P1050517.jpg 194.47 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

80% of nozzle size for optimum printing. do not recall hearing that but makes sense.

I have become friends with a guy who has a 3d printing store  and I have been here. So I never felt the need to go find a book. wich is surprising as i am a bit of a book worm book collector.

Tin

34 (edited by wagnmkr 2016-07-31 12:27:08)

Tin, I read that here ...  http://reprap.org/wiki/Triffid_Hunter%2 … sion_width

and more info here ... http://reprap.org/wiki/Triffid_Hunter%2 … de#E_steps

oh, please - no! Not that one...

Dont get me wrong, there is a lot of good info in Triffid Hunter's guide, but the E-step calibration is not (to me) good info.

to get the best, most accurate prints possible, you need to be more exacting with what goes in - if you ask your printer to feed in 100mm of filament, it should feed in exactly 100mm of filament. not 98, not 102 - 100.
The method that Mr. Hunter uses is more a fudging method, not exacting.

I have had this discussion with several people now and the biggest argument I get for following that guide is, "but it's in the reprap wiki, it must be good info". Well, guess what - anyone can write a wiki article. And some of the info in that guide is outdated - namely the feed rate (e-steps) calibration.

this is the method I use for calibration:
Part 1: http://northwoods3d.weebly.com/blog/fi … ion-part-1
Part 2: http://northwoods3d.weebly.com/blog/-fl … coming-out
and I have the quality prints to back it up.

on the 80% thing - that is for maximum layer height. you can go lower if you like with your 0.4 nozzle, but you will need to make adjustments to get good quality. I have gone as low as 0.127 with my 0.4 nozzle (that is on a Solidoodle with a 5/16" threaded rod - slightly different numbers than for metric rods)

this print was done at a '0.3' layer height (SD equivalent = 0.2963) with a 0.4 nozzle and it has excellent detail.

http://soliforum.com/i/?6WqYLy1.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?3bsixXM.jpg

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Sorry ... I've been at this just over a week. I know all about self proclaimed experts and the stuff the internet allows them to write. I must have forgot to set the "garbage" filter on Mr Google.

I just got Repetier working this morning, so I will give your method a try.

and I apologize if I came off a little harsh in that post - I was a bit wound up last night about something else (related to 3d printing) and it kind of spilled over. hmm

The write-ups on calibration I shared is information I have gleaned mostly from this forum, from the more experienced users here. The problem was that it was kind of scattered - a little here, a little there... all I did was pull it all together and try to make it easy for a new user to follow.

If you have any questions at all, or something isn't clear, please do not hesitate to ask - I will answer as soon as I can (not available from 7am to about 5:30pm central time due to work)

also, an excellent write up regarding why you should be more exacting is here: http://www.soliforum.com/post/83278/#p83278 - kind of complicated, but i think jagowilson does a pretty good job of explaining how things work, and why you should calibrate to more exacting standards than Mr. Hunter does.

heartless wrote:

and I apologize if I came off a little harsh in that post - I was a bit wound up last night about something else (related to 3d printing) and it kind of spilled over. hmm

Not a problem

I have read through your links and they are easier to read and understand. I will try them but I have some domestic stuff to clear up first.

On my machine, I found the steps per unit under the M92 code. They told me that x was 81.0, y was 81.0, z was 400.5, and e was 94.30. I told my printer to extrude 100mm (after a couple of 10mm bursts to fill the nozzle) and it did give me 94 and a bit.

I have discovered another problem that I just don't have time to deal with this week. I printed a 20mm cube, and I measured the sides, only to find that they are all different. I think this means some other settings are off so I will need to do more checking. Unfortunately I took the piece off of the bed before I measured so I have no idea which axis is off, so I will have to do this all again.

Oh the joys of learning new stuff.

40 (edited by heartless 2016-08-02 11:51:15)

under extrusion will cause sizing issues - do not change anything else until after you get the feed rate and extrusion corrected.

If you ask for 100mm you should be getting 100mm - not 94 and some. if you only got 94 & some when you asked for 100, then the E steps need to be adjusted

Thanks for that info, as I was wondering what to go after first.  It seems like that 94.3 number is locked in the eeprom setting in the machine's firmware and keeps me from doing much at this point. I will have to wait until I have more time.

Cheers

IRRC you figured out how to hook the computer to the printer and are using Repetier host To do so.

So open RH goto the cofig tab an then click on the firmware eprom tab this opens a window and may let you change settings .
it should show a bunch of gray block with numbers just change the number

Tin

43 (edited by wagnmkr 2016-08-02 23:35:17)

Hi Tin

Yes, Rh can control my printer ... that is how I did the 100 mm test. I will try that first thing in the morning as my evening is full. (Machining no less)

Edit In:

I lied ... It appears I wasn't in the mood to make 3mm bolts after all, so I played with the printer. After 3 changes, it now prints exactly 100 mm when I tell it to. Now, if only I could get it to get me a drink when I want one ...

I did a sample print and it scared me as "Home" wasn't where I was used to so once the print was done, I changed that too.

After two positive results, I am quitting for the night.

Tom

44 (edited by wagnmkr 2016-08-06 12:01:17)

Hello Again
I think I have made some progress. I now get exactly 100 mm of filament when I ask for it so that is one part of the equation sorted.
I still wasn't getting what I wanted, so I revisited the calipers and filament measurement only to find that I must have been really tired when I did that the first time. I checked and calculated three times this time and got the same answer all three times, so I now use 1.72 for this filament.
I have played with the print speed a bit, but I don't understand what that really does, and I have plyed with the filament temps, but I don't really understand that either other than the adhesion part.

This is where I am at the moment ... I tried to place the parts so the flaws would show.
I seem to have some layering going on ... vibrations maybe?
Some of the surfaces are perfect ... some aren't.

Temp was 205c ... bed heater off.
.15 layer height
print speed was 50

Any suggestions

Post's attachments

P1050526.jpg 299.69 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

to start, make sure everything is tight - including belts. Belts should be snug - no slop, or vibration, when the machine is moving

then - have you done the extrusion calibrations?
printing a single wall box and measuring the wall thickness to calculate the proper extrusion multiplier? (this would be "Part 2" of the links I provided you earlier)

The 2 parts go hand in hand - getting the correct amount in and getting the correct amount out - to get consistent prints.

Also, for a beginner, I would recommend working at a 0.3 layer height until you get things dialed in better.
The Bat Buddha pictured above was done at a 0.3 layer height (0.2963 for Solidoodle) - the whole thing, to the very tips of his bat ears, is only 4 inches tall.

I actually remembered part 2 this morning and have just finished ... 3 times to get things right, and my multiplier comes out at 0.86. I need to do some domestics, but I will d on Tingyverse?o a test print later today. I will take your advice and stay with the .3 layer height and post a pic later today. Is that Buddha

we found that particular model a long time ago, and not sure why, but I have never been able to find it again (did not add it to any of my collections at the time - just downloaded it) There is a "big head" version that can be found easily, but not this one with the smaller head.

there a several other renditions of Buddha as well... including one with the correct head that the others are based on, lol

I found the Buddha, but at an 8 hour print time, I decided to try some parts for a project I am working on. The results were encouraging and more to my liking.

I think I now have the machine very close to where I want it.

8 hours?? wow - that is a lot for that model..

On my SD4 with my standard 0.3 layer height, 3 perimeters, 3 top, 3 bottom solid layers, and 25% infill the Bat Buddha only takes 3.5 hours...

50 (edited by wagnmkr 2016-08-08 22:25:05)

heartless wrote:

8 hours?? wow - that is a lot for that model..

On my SD4 with my standard 0.3 layer height, 3 perimeters, 3 top, 3 bottom solid layers, and 25% infill the Bat Buddha only takes 3.5 hours...

My major difference is the layer height ... I use 0.2 as that seems to be the only way I get a good print. Even with the calibration I have done, if I use 0.3, it always looks like I stood 3 feet away and tossed the molten plastic at the build plate.

Also, I am using the Wanhao/Cura software that came with the machine. I am still working at the Repetier Host but I haven't been able to get good results with it so far. I have mainly used it for the manual mode to test extrusion numbers. I know there is something not set quite right, but I haven't found it yet.

Another interesting thing is the few parts that I have printed through both software packages give much faster times for Repetier.

A question ... I have searched a few places including your blog ... what are some of the signs of incorrect printing head temps? I find a bunch of information about the temp for different filaments, but nothing that tells the symptoms to look for.

I am using a PLA print temp of 200c with the bed heating turned off. I get quite a bit of warping on larger parts. I am using blue tape on the bed as well and I get very good adhesion. Will a heated bed help the warping?

Edit In ... Just a quick add on ... I completed the mod to strengthen the tower and I am doing a print as I type to see how it is working. Very quite now and no vibration of any kind. The machine sits on a 3" thick slab of solid granite.

Post's attachments

P1050528.jpg
P1050528.jpg 199.52 kb, file has never been downloaded.