Re: Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus (or... Learning to 3d print by a total newb)

Repetier Host has a temperature graph where you can see the temps of both the hotend, and the heated bed if you use it.

http://soliforum.com/i/?iOCDoF6.jpg

Layer height will definitely make a difference in print times.

sitting on a slab of granite might be a little overkill, but hey, who am I to argue. wink as long as it is nice and stable & no wobbling.

filament temp is kind of a relative thing - it is going to vary from one machine to another.
The best way to figure out what works for your printer and a given filament is to do a temperature calibration test...basically a tower with temperature changes about every 10mms or so

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless wrote:

Repetier Host has a temperature graph where you can see the temps of both the hotend, and the heated bed if you use it.

Yes, it is a bit of overkill. It is actually a set up/measuring block from my wee machine shop. It is dead flat with a polished surface and I have had it for 3 years and used it about four times so I figured I might as well put it to use.

I never thought of the tower ... I will give that a go.

I must do some more work on Repetier as it has way more control. Maybe next week when I get some more time.

I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!
Wanhao Duplicator I3 Plus with glass bed, MK10 All Metal Hot End

I started out with Repetier Host so I tend to be a little biased, LOL, but yes, it has a good bit of control.

there are a couple of ways of doing the temp tower... you can manually adjust the temperature as it builds, or you can edit the g-code to do it automatically at specific layers

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Happy to say that I figured out Repetier Host and it is printing like a champ. After finishing the z braces mod, my machine is printing much better and stronger than before.

Now I need to learn to draw.

I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!
Wanhao Duplicator I3 Plus with glass bed, MK10 All Metal Hot End

wagnmkr wrote:

Happy to say that I figured out Repetier Host and it is printing like a champ. After finishing the z braces mod, my machine is printing much better and stronger than before.

Now I need to learn to draw.

Congrats on getting it sorted out! smile

There is nothing more satisfying than being able to print something you designed yourself.

About the easiest program to learn that I have tried is 123D Design from Autodesk. It uses solids in various shapes that can be altered & combined to create new shapes, and parts can be subtracted to create holes or cutouts. it really is a versatile program.

for tutorials on how to use it I found this series very helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOZ-4b … /playlists