Topic: Cura + ThreeDubber on daVinci Jr

Ladies and gents,

I'm trying to get Cura slicer to work with my daVinci Jr.

Last night I've managed to generate desired gcode using Cura and encrypt it to .3w using ThreeDubber.
All seemed to be fine, opened .3w using XYZWare to ensure its readable by XYZ products but when I start to print 1st layer goes 5-10mm above the bed.

It goes through the homing step (I even tried to send it home beforehand) so I'm guessing it's all about Cura config.

Any tips configuring Cura? Care to share your Cura profile if it's working for you?

I'll admit I haven't spent too much time with it, just set bed size and basic settings.
Will play around with it later on today and if I'll figure out what is the issue I'll post my findings.

Just thought I'm definitely not the 1st attempting to do this and why to dig through if somebody already done it!

Re: Cura + ThreeDubber on daVinci Jr

Haven't tested it yet, will try later on today, but I think I found that "evil" gcode entry.
G1 Z15.0 F9000 ;move the platform down 15mm
(on XYZWare it says G1 Z0.350 F6000.000 instead)

Just compared the same STL exported via XYZWare (converted to gcode) and code from Cura.

If that's the case then my only question would be - is it Cura default setting or thats something to do that I've chosen Prusa i3 as my model (hence none of them are XYZ 3D printer for the obvious reasons)

3 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-05-23 12:20:49)

You have to choose other model and input your own variables.. Or edit the gcode before you convert it.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

You have to choose other model and input your own variables.. Or edit the gcode before you convert it.

I've figured that out already.

My question was - is that 15mm Z lift Prusa i3 thing?!
Which printers doesn't have that (or any other) weird move?!
Aka which one is closer to Jr from mechanics perspective?!

Thanks.

I've added Mandel and Lutzbot mini - both have that 15mm step-up...

So is it just a bad luck from my side or all 3x of them has this feature?!
Or that's Cura specific?!

Thanks.

Its hard coded in cura. Most normal printers use the 15mm drop. For the jr you will just need to edit the gcode before you convert. Its just one of the annoyances of that machine when trying third party host and software.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I feel stupid, that line can be found in Cura's start.gcode section.

So I checked decoded gcode from XYZWare and it said Z0.350, great, filled that in and viola - nearly cracked the glass!!! smile
Seems to be its ignoring Z offset set on the printer itself when you do manual gcode edit, I tried to change Z offset to test my theory and what you know - scratched glass once again!

Anyway, due to 1st layer being set to 0.3 I've changed that gcode to Z0.650 and it works a treat.

Also worth to mention that anything above 30mm/s extrusion speed makes my extruded to skip steps.
Don't know if I just need to clean my extruded or or it's a filament I'm using is very slippery.
Anyway I ordered new extruder gear which should have better grip and hopefully I'll manage to squeeze more than 30mm/s.

Ok, hence I've been having those extruder clicks I wasn't printing anything as a whole until it fixed.
I was trying to adjust flow settings (even though it was extruding right amount), Z height, took apart extruder etc.
Then I just made decision - unless I print something from A-Z it'll be hard to get what's going on there.
So I did... Yeah... See attached...

One picture shows normal print via XYZWare and the 2nd one via Cura... Yeah... Also 3rd one comparing them side by side (2x XYZWare + 1x Cura print)

Don't get it why it's not moving Z axis up... Is there something what XYZ Printing goys done to prevent people using other slicing softwares?!

Hmm...

Post's attachments

IMG_0794.jpeg 2.84 mb, 133 downloads since 2016-05-25 

IMG_0794.jpeg 2.84 mb, 77 downloads since 2016-05-25 

IMG_2502.JPG
IMG_2502.JPG 3.19 mb, 1 downloads since 2016-05-25 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Yay, successful pring using Cura generated gcode!!! It works!!!

I've opened 2x gcode files of the same object side by side (XYZWare and Cura)  and tried to find difference at Z axis movement.
And there it was, on Cura it uses G0 when moving Z axis but on XYZWare G1.
According to gcode "cheer sheet" G0 is rapid movement but G1 - controlled movement and daVinci for some reason is ignoring G0 as a command..

So I've opened Cura gcode in TextWrangler and by using find and replace I've changed all G0 commands with G1.

Works a treat!

One thing is odd though, I was trying to add hotend wipe gcode lines (planing to add little "cleaning mat" to the side of my bed) and it does everything mirrored!
Basically I've added "G1 X0 Y75, G1 X0 Y75...." to run hotend couple of times back and forth for the cleaning purpose and even though I've stated X0 it runs over to the opposite side to do that thing and then back...
I've also copied XYZWare gcode begining to the Repetier host app (it has visualising option for your hotend moves) and that famous XYZWare pre-print double line which is happening on the right hand side on your printer shows up at the left on Repetier software.
Ok that could be Repetier software thing I thought but again why my nozzle cleaning code jumps to the opposite side.
I'll look into it later on. For now while it works I'll enjoy some prints via Cura!

Where have u found threedubber? Can't seem to find it anywhere here. Anybody have a link?

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?actio … download=1

If you use Cura regularly, check out my port of ThreeDubber. It's command-line only (no fancy GUI at the moment) but gets the job done. I just added support for setting the total_filament value from Cura headers to get a real print time estimate on the Jr's LCD.

AND my script will convert those pesky G0 codes into G1s at the same it it makes a .3w from your .gcode file.

https://gitlab.com/anthem/py-threedub

To install on Windows:
- Download and install Python 2.7 from Python.org
- Download and install py-crypto
- Download and unpack the source from gitlab
- Assuming you now have Python on your path, go into the source directory and run:
- python setup.py install
- run 'threedub model.gcode' to convert it to .3w

Same basic procedure on Linux except you might already have Python. Don't forget py-crypto.

@Anthem
Brilliant, I'm on the Mac and prefer CLI so I can create automated script now, yay, instead or powering on VM with Windows etc.
Thank you!!!

14 (edited by Anthem 2016-06-15 22:28:11)

I'm with you. I'm a Linux guy and while ThreeDubber works with wine, it's not an ideal way for me to do things. My code needs work (I want to support more XYZ models and slicers), but it works with the Jr, Cura and slic3r right now, which is about all I use.

I'm thinking about adding some sample start/end gcodes and maybe even some sample Jr configs for various slicers to the project. Would anyone find that useful?

@Anthem
Quick question.
As you know by default in Cura's start.gcode there is this line "G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm"
which I need to change to "G1 Z0.650......" otherwise it floats way to high of my print surface (XYZware does "G1 Z0.350..." but that's way too low, G1 Z0.650 is the go in my case with 0.3 initial layer)
Now Cura released new version of Cura (which is quite nice and does slicing on some STL's much better) which killed start.gcode section completely.
Sorry I haven't had a time to check/start using your CLI app of ThreeDubber so I don't know if you have that line in there already, but if you don't then have you considered adding it?!
Thanks.

@Anthem

Finally found some time to play around a bit with py version of ThreeDubber and ran into some issues.

I'm on OSX 10.11.5 running Python 2.7.10

Install went smoothly. On 2nd attempt though. Obviously forgot to check dependencies. smile

But when doing $ threedub filename.gcode I do get an error in return:

Kris-MBP:Desktop kris$ threedub littleman.gcode 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/threedub", line 9, in <module>
    load_entry_point('threedub==0.1', 'console_scripts', 'threedub')()
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.11-intel/egg/threedub/main.py", line 55, in threedub
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.11-intel/egg/threedub/gcode.py", line 219, in translate
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.11-intel/egg/threedub/gcode.py", line 192, in format_header
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.11-intel/egg/threedub/gcode.py", line 47, in translate_davincijr10
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'filament' referenced before assignment

kr15_uk wrote:

@Anthem

Finally found some time to play around a bit with py version of ThreeDubber and ran into some issues.

I'm on OSX 10.11.5 running Python 2.7.10

Install went smoothly. On 2nd attempt though. Obviously forgot to check dependencies. smile

But when doing $ threedub filename.gcode I do get an error in return:

Kris-MBP:Desktop kris$ threedub littleman.gcode 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/threedub", line 9, in <module>
    load_entry_point('threedub==0.1', 'console_scripts', 'threedub')()
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.11-intel/egg/threedub/main.py", line 55, in threedub
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.11-intel/egg/threedub/gcode.py", line 219, in translate
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.11-intel/egg/threedub/gcode.py", line 192, in format_header
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.11-intel/egg/threedub/gcode.py", line 47, in translate_davincijr10
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'filament' referenced before assignment

You said you updated Cura, huh? I bet they're either using a different name for the filament length, or don't include it at all by default.

The script looks for either "Filament used" or "filament used" to set the total_filament value, so it must not be finding that. I pushed a fix that should default to 1mm if it's not found, so try that.

I just installed Cura last week before this new version and I haven't updated yet. I'll give it a shot and see what's different. If it doesn't support custom gcode anymore as you say, then I might have to work out a way to do that. Currently I don't touch the gcode body at all, just the headers, but using the wrong gcode is going to ruin a lot of stuff.

I'm already working on an improved version so I'll see what I can do, but no promises. I stay pretty busy away from my computer neutral

@Anthem
Yes I'm on the new 2.1.2, haven't tried with the old one.
I'll give a go with the new ver.
(Btw new Cura is brilliant, the same filament, the same settings the same machine (SmartRap CoreXY) but result like from 2x different machines. They've done their job well.)

Also, I've added beginning and end of the gcode if you are curious.

;FLAVOR:RepRap
;TIME:982
M190 S60.000000
M104 S210.000000
M109 S210.000000
G21 ;metric values
G90 ;absolute positioning
M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode
M107 ;start with the fan off
G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops
G1 Z0.650 F9000 ;move the platform down 0.65mm
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
G1 F9000
;Put printing message on LCD screen
M117 Printing...
;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 2.1.2
;LAYER_COUNT:127
;LAYER:0
M107
G1 F1500.000000 E-6.50000
G0 F7200.00000 X72.191 Y74.227 Z0.300
;TYPE:SKIRT
G1 F1500.000 E0.00000
G1 F1800.00000 X72.591 Y73.840 E0.02777
G1 X72.634 Y73.801 E0.03066
G1 X72.776 Y73.685 E0.03981
G1 X81.496 Y88.798 E899.46486
G1 X81.316 Y88.625 E899.47317
G0 F7200.00000 X81.722 Y88.548
G1 F7804.878 X82.213 Y88.622 E899.48840
G1 F6114.64968 X82.748 Y88.653 E899.50939
G1 F8545.99407 X83.357 Y88.610 E899.52650
G0 F7200.00000 X83.252 Y88.479
M107
M104 S0 ;extruder heater off
M140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)
G91 ;relative positioning
G1 E-1 F300  ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle, to release some of the pressure
G1 Z+0.5 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F9000 ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even more
G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops, so the head is out of the way
M84 ;steppers off
G90 ;absolute positioning
M104 S0.000
;End of Gcode
;SETTING_1 [general]\nversion = 1\nname = Current settings\nweight = 0\n\n[setti
;SETTING_1 ngs]\nretraction_amount = 6.5\nspeed_infill = 80\nspeed_topbottom = 1
;SETTING_1 5\nlayer_height = 0.2\nadhesion_type = skirt\nmaterial_bed_temperatur
;SETTING_1 e = 60\n\n

@Anthem

Just to confirm, I have my .3w file now.

Much appreciated.

P.S.: If you need any help with testing, scripting etc, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do.

Ladies and gents,

About Cura on Jr.

Am I going crazy?!
Why when you generate gcode on Cura daVinci flips it back to front?
I like to position my objects so I can see the front and the quality while printing.
Ok, I can always turn my print 180degree so it goes front to back on daVinci BUT if you set Z seem alignment to be at the back in Cura then I'll get that seem at the front of my object. So this is a no go.

I've used Prusa i3 profile hence mechanically it's closest from the list (from those which I know though).

Also, I haven't dogged through the gcode added by this profile but before every print it does that quick run to the right and then back to left side again.

Is it how it is or all answers lay in the profile gcode?!

Thanks.

Regards,
Kris M

Ladies and gents,

As some of you may know I've been using Cura + ThreeDub with my Jr for some time now and I can confirm that not using XYZ Ware at all is a dream come true (sounds quite sad isn't it wink )

One thing what really annoyed me with Cura by using generic settings was that odd behaviour like printhead going to opposite side and then back leaving some mess on the print bed and some other behaviour...
Anyway, now I managed to fix all those annoying little things and want to share with you so you could enjoy Cura as much as I do.
Also I've done some visual improvements so Cura can be a bit more Jr friendly (printbed stl so it looks like Jr bed instead of some random bed in Cura, and when you add printer you see XYZ section)
Please see attached pictures.
http://soliforum.com/i/?WG9benR.png
http://soliforum.com/i/?mZZKD6e.png
http://soliforum.com/i/?lsGbrWW.png

To get this done you need to copy couple of files.
(I'm using Mac so these are locations on the Mac but should be similar on Win I guess)
Also I'm using Cura 2.1.2 - haven't tested on the older versions.

/Applications/Cura.app/Contents/Resources/cura/resources/machines/davinci_jr.json
/Applications/Cura.app/Contents/Resources/cura/resources/meshes/davinci_jr_platform.stl

+ I have added profiles. 2x as per XYZ Ware and 1x which I'm using on daily basis.

Files you can download from:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= … sp=sharing

Just a side note, I have also imported XYZ's "signature" line on the side before every print and set to zero Skirt lines in Cura.
For some reason regular Skirt method on Jr often made a mess or haven't prised nozzle enough to start good 1st layer.

Hi kr15_uk, thanks for all your posts!  For me, I have not had a single problem printing with XYZware, it has printed reliably for me both on the plain glass bed (with glue stick) and with painter's tape.  BUT, I use Cura for our work 3D printer and want to use Cura for the Jr that I have at home.

Now here is what I am wondering, for Cura at work, we use the prusa i3 profile and the printer is a Monoprice Maker Select 3D with max layer resolution of .1mm.  When you select the "high" and "ulti" qualities, the layer resolution goes to 0.06mm and 0.04mm, respectively.  The printer can actually handle it and you can notice the difference in print compared to the "normal" quality of 0.1mm for the layer height.

So do you think the jr can handle either the "high" or "ulti" settings?  Have you tried it?  If so has it made a difference?

Also, do you still adjust the Z-offset with the front panel?

Thanks!

@chorobe - those ulti etc are preset profiles for ultimaker, you can either use those or create your own profiles what I suggest instead so you could fine tune it for your machine specifically. What's best for one doesn't always mean it's the best for other.
You can set layer height in any profile, Cura will automatically adjust dependant settings like 1st layer height etc according to the layer height you've chosen.

With Jr I managed to go down to 0.04 but any print going faster than 20mm/s extruder was struggling quite badly. Also worth to mention that I needed to increased temperature a bit so filament can flow a bit more easily.

Is it worth it, depends from you needs...
Yes it came out beautiful, I'd say very close to injection molded part look.
But in comparison to my regular printing speeds it's dreadfully slow.
(My go to print speed is 60mm/s)

Marvin usually takes 16mins on 0.2 layer height.
Marvin on 0.04 took me a bit more than 3hours.
I could have printed 12x Marvins instead! wink

Calibrating wise I do check calibration and relevel if needed once a week, that's roughly 100hours of printing.
I've bought one of those "laser feeler gauge" things to ensure its precise all across.
Also need to mention that I have manual bed leveling hack in place but if you have stock bed you can calibrate by sticking little paper pieces in the corners under the glass.
z offset you set pretty much once and forget about it. In my case I've set it to 0.2

I do hope this helps.

Regards,
Kris M

kr15_uk wrote:

Yay, successful pring using Cura generated gcode!!! It works!!!

I've opened 2x gcode files of the same object side by side (XYZWare and Cura)  and tried to find difference at Z axis movement.
And there it was, on Cura it uses G0 when moving Z axis but on XYZWare G1.
According to gcode "cheer sheet" G0 is rapid movement but G1 - controlled movement and daVinci for some reason is ignoring G0 as a command..

So I've opened Cura gcode in TextWrangler and by using find and replace I've changed all G0 commands with G1.

Works a treat!

@kr15_uk, if I use the GUI Threedubber, will it work if I just replace every G0 with a G1 on the Cura gcode?  Unfortunately I could not get Anthem's non-GUI version to work either on OS X or Linux.  That is not my familiar territory.  For my Linux virtual machine, everything seems to install correctly but running the threedubber model.gcode produces an error, something about it not being able to find a module named serial.  Also would I have to change anything in the header or footer of the gcode?

p.s. I did install your davinci_jr.json and davinci_jr_platform.stl

@chorobe
Yeah I got that error message as well when tried to install it on test VM when read presumingly your posts few weeks back. Unfortunately haven't had a time to look into this more deeply.
I'd guess it needs printer to be plugged in or so... It's just a guess. Need to look at it at some point.
I'm on older version of ThreeDub on my main machine and had no problems what so ever.
Maybe as a temporary fix I'll post older version of ThreeDub, I should have it somewhere still.
And then see if I can fix current version.

Also ThreeDub does everything with one command - replaces G0 to G1, adds header for XYZ stuff and does base64 encoding. You can still do those steps manually but ThreeDub is very convenient way to do that.

I'll be back in studio later on today so will have a look and post a link if I'll be able to find it.