26 (edited by chorobe 2016-08-10 10:50:45)

Re: Cura + ThreeDubber on daVinci Jr

@kr15_uk, I got a successful print as well, following your solution.  I used the GUI Threedubber.exe on my Windows 10 Boot Camp.  But prior to that, I did a search and replace of all G0 to change to G1 on the Cura gcode.  I was not sure if the GUI Threedubber did that, but from your post it seemed like it did not and you had to use that solution of swapping all the G0 for G1.

Anyway, as a test I printed a Pac Man ghost, because the top is a semicircle and for my gcode setting, I attempted a .06mm layer height to see if the curve would be really smooth compared to .1mm height.  As you suggested, I slowed the speed down quite a bit and increased the temperature about 5 degrees more.  It came out VERY good!  The top needs to be finished a little, but I am glad I could get results like this!

Downside, as you mentioned, it takes a lot longer!  And on the front panel of the Jr, the estimated time showed 1 minute which was obviously not the case lol!

Attached is the pic of the Pac Man ghost...but take a look at the hemisphere top and man it is smooth at 0.06 layer height!

Post's attachments

IMG_3460.JPG
IMG_3460.JPG 170.83 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

@chorobe
Found it. Please see attached.

Also I'll run through the current release to see what causes that serial error.
When, have no idea... wink At some point.

But for the time being this should work fine, at least it does on my machine.

Obviously forgot magic "Add file" button...

Post's attachments

py-threedub-master-790c9ae3aff5ea0818d8092fb43c1b1a5bbe0825.zip 28.5 kb, 54 downloads since 2016-08-10 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

29 (edited by chorobe 2016-08-10 20:38:04)

kr15_uk wrote:

@chorobe
Found it. Please see attached.

Also I'll run through the current release to see what causes that serial error.
When, have no idea... wink At some point.

But for the time being this should work fine, at least it does on my machine.

OK I'll try to reinstall with your file and give it a shot.  This will be more convenient for me than booting to boot camp and running the GUI version.  Then like you said, I don't have to worry about the G0 to G1 changes either.

Thanks again for you and Anthem's work!

UPDATE:  Went home, tried the older threedub, and no errors, yay!

Just to clarify. Do i need to add the xyz header and footer to gcode? or does kr15_uk's XYZ Cura files do that automatically?

@gravy - sort off. My Cura config does have start and end gcode included so you don't crash your hotend into the bed, famous XYZ nozzle cleaning line at the start and some other bits.
That specific XYZ header is being added by Anthem's ThreeDub which also replaces G0's with G1's and does AES encoding etc.

gravy wrote:

Just to clarify. Do i need to add the xyz header and footer to gcode? or does kr15_uk's XYZ Cura files do that automatically?

It's just as kr15_uk said. What I did was install his Cura files above. Then used the Python  threedubber converter on the gcode from Cura with Linux using virtual machine. Stick the resulting 3w file directly into SD card then print from file on Jr.

My main difficulty was getting Python installed and the addition related software. I haven't worked with command line in awhile. I ended up using Linux on a virtual machine rather than my native OS X because I was able to get it going on Linux.

You need to install the 'serial', 'pycrypto' and 'padding' python packages to use threedub. Look for the 'pip' package manager for your operating system and look at the pip documentation for pointers on installing packages.

Anthem wrote:

You need to install the 'serial', 'pycrypto' and 'padding' python packages to use threedub. Look for the 'pip' package manager for your operating system and look at the pip documentation for pointers on installing packages.

I forgot about the serial and padding. No wonder!

Guys I have 2 questions:

First, today I tried placing my object at another location other than center of the bed using Cura.  If I place on front-left corner, the actual print begins on the rear-right corner.  Am I doing something wrong?

Second, when updating the python threedub (to the old version or new), can I simply run the setup.py and will it replace what is currently on there? Or do I have to do some kind of uninstall?

Thanks!

@chorobe - oh yeah, forgot to mention this. I have no idea why it's doing this but prints will always face other direction. Seems to be Jr is built back to front... Also don't rotate your print 180drgree in Cura so you can see it printing correctly if you use Z seam at the back. Otherwise you'll get Z seam right at the front of your print.

@k15_uk, OK I guess I can live with that haha. 

Do you know anything about the other question in regards to updating the python threedub?  Even when I thought I installed the newest one correctly, I still don't get the correct estimated time, which stays at 1m. <=I wish!

So I'm not sure if I'm still using the old version or the new version.  Not a huge deal though!

If python threedub can't locate a property in your gcode file that says how much filament will be used, it defaults to 1mm and will not give you an accurate result.

I have not updated threedub to work with the newest Cura versions, so that's likely the problem.

What you can do is use 'threedub file.gcode file2.gcode' to translate the file without converting, then manually find and change the filament length property to look like "; total_filament 124.4mm", THEN use it to convert to .3w. That should fix up the estimates.

And yes, rerunning  setup.py will replace the old version.

@kr15_uk, I think for low resolution stuff (0.1mm and higher layer resolution) I might stick with XYZware only because it just works for me.  I've played with Cura and threedub, but the only successful print I got was the first one where I printed a Pac Man ghost at 0.06mm with increased temp and very slow speed. 

I tried to optimize Cura by playing with temperature, print speeds (nothing faster than 60mm/s), but when printing a simple soap dish, it would start well but not end well...and I've used both the python threedub (the old and new one), and the GUI threedubber.  Maybe later I'll play with it more or just use Cura if I have to print something at 0.06.  It was a learning experience though!

@chorobe - If XYZWare works for you that's brilliant.
Unfortunately I had fairly unpleasant experience with it. Few issues I can remember of:
1. slicing time for fairly complex STL's could take up to 10min and fail with no reason
2. In general slicing took a very long time
3. to print more than one STL you need to add your STL's, re-save it as one combined STL, quit XYZWare and then reopen it with that single combined STL.
4. Object slicing in general sometimes were completely off.
5. Uncontrollable Z seam placement
6. Travel route were set to fastest which obviously you can't change.
7. Infill settings were limited to honeycomb (now apparently there is a grim option) which is one of the slowest infill types.
8. Slow printing speeds even on setting Fast which is 30mm/s as far as I remember, maybe I'm wrong.
9. Supports. Most of the time unremovable or heavy cutting and filing is needed if you manage to remove supports.
10. In general I had a feeling that XYZWare is more oriented on visually pleasing prints rather than mechanical precision and in my case this is a game changer due to my type of a needs.

Once again, everyone are different what works for one doesn't mean will work for others.
I do prefer Cura because of a control I have with it. For example my wife prefers XYZWare due to it's simplicity.

Of corse Cura is far from perfect, there are few things which annoy me quite a lot, will give few examples:
1. Z seam. Even though I can control it's placement which is very important for my type of the prints it still takes the prize of "most annoying" thing in Cura. On some small objects like calibration cube it is just a big blob. Probably fixable somehow but I haven't figured it out yet. Not a highest priority but very annoying.
2. Occasional hanging in stage "Preparing for slicing"
3. Print time ETA (but I'm pretty sure it's down to the Jr because Cura is spot on with my DIY printer)
+ There are few more small things, I do still believe they've removed "beta" of the version2 Cura too early...

Anyway.

@chorobe - I'd love to hear what exactly went wrong with your prints. I'm curious to know.

41 (edited by chorobe 2016-08-15 19:31:22)

@kr15_uk, with the soap dish, the print layers toward the top half moved on the y-axis so instead of a straight wall, it was straight the going diagonal at an angle. Then I tried using the GUI threedubber after changing all the G0s, that started well but the print said it completed only to be missing like the top half.

I made a 3D cup coaster design as well and noticed the prints were skewing using Cura and Python threedub, so I cancelled it. Now with XYZware I do notice some holes and other imperfections but generally it works. It is sure slow like you mentioned. I may play with Cura and threedub again after I take a break haha.http://soliforum.com/i/?j99WQSk.jpg

Dunno if this is the right place to ask or not... but can adjusting the layer height in cura help reduce z wobble? Because as of the most recent xyzware/firmware I have noticed my prints having VERY noticeable z-wobble.

Also can you go to smaller layers than the Jr supports? Like 0.05mm?

reluttr wrote:

Dunno if this is the right place to ask or not... but can adjusting the layer height in cura help reduce z wobble? Because as of the most recent xyzware/firmware I have noticed my prints having VERY noticeable z-wobble.

@reluttr, I don't know if adjusting the layer height will reduce z wobble, but I can say that I have printed as low as 0.06mm layer height.  Kr15_uk has gone down to 0.04.

44 (edited by reluttr 2016-08-27 01:36:46)

chorobe wrote:
reluttr wrote:

@reluttr, I don't know if adjusting the layer height will reduce z wobble, but I can say that I have printed as low as 0.06mm layer height.  Kr15_uk has gone down to 0.04.

Have you noticed any z banding in your prints? Maybe I am just expecting to much out of the Jr. XD

I mean, its not horrible, but its noticeable on objects that go straight up, like cubes.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the gantry sag... but I guess it could also be the leadscrew having a non-flexing coupling to, not sure if I can help that or not. XD

I'm gonna do some tests... like printing stuff on one side of the bed and the other and see if the banding is the same... and if so... I know its the leadscrew.

45 (edited by chorobe 2016-08-27 02:06:57)

http://soliforum.com/i/?1RQKCTz.jpg

Have you noticed any z banding in your prints? Maybe I am just expecting to much out of the Jr. XD
I mean, its not horrible, but its noticeable on objects that go straight up, like cubes.

@reluttr, yea, it depends, sometimes I do.  For example for smaller objects I definitely believe I do see the z banding you are talking about.  I made a stand for a model and the part that holds the ship is made up of 4 small pillars with a square cross section (each is about 4mm wide).  It was not smooth at all.  You can see in the pic how jagged it was.

But on bigger objects, the vertical walls seem fine.

http://soliforum.com/i/?od2MlI4.jpg

Here is a closeup.

47 (edited by reluttr 2016-08-27 14:42:22)

I think your on to something. I took a look at my most recent print *a soap dish* and the area's without sudden movements look a lot better than the ones where jerky movements are made.

It's kinda hard to photograph, but you can clearly see the banding on the upper part of this image.

http://soliforum.com/i/?a0YlMmn.jpg

The reason I thought it might be associated with the gantry sag is because it used to actually be a LOT worse before I did a anti-sag mod from thingiverse and re-calibrated the x axis.

Although... something else it could be is possibly uneven extrusion? Like if the plastic tends to extrude more toward the left of the nozzle, is it possible that when the printer goes to make another pass in the opposite direction on the next layer the plastic flows more inward than its supposed to? Guess I could try cleaning the nozzle and see. big_smile

EDIT:

Do you think swapping the solid coupler on the z axis with a "jawed" flexible coupler would help? I did some measurements and I would have to cut into the plastic on the gantry some, but it is a very possible mod.

@reluttr - The thing that interests me about your photos is that the banding is very regular. It looks like every 8 or so layers you get worse banding in one direction that slowly fades from that side, only to return again.

I get occasional banding that I definitely would attribute more to irregular extrusion, because it only happens where a new layer starts (that is, the bands start as blobs until the extrusion evens out). That in my case is definitely an extrusion/retraction problem.

In your case it's harder to say. I can't tell from the pics, but do the bands seem to be at all spiralling up the side of your print? Or are the layers that seem to be banding actually wider all the way around?

One thought that comes to mind is Z wobble, say from a slightly warped Z axis threaded rod (or some misalignment in its mounts). If your Z axis wobbles slightly, then you'd get the same XY shift every time your Z thread is at the same position. If that's the case though, I'd expect you to have a noticable "spiralling".

49 (edited by jonnyc 2016-11-06 10:41:36)

Thank everyone for the information in this post, it solved a lot of my problems.

Quick update.
Don't know why I've created seperate topic for Cura 2.3.0+ here http://www.soliforum.com/post/128141/#p128141
If you're after Cura 2.3.1+ stuff, please see link above. But still this thread has some valuable info to read.

Can someone with SuperAdmin rights merge these 2x together?! Thanks.