1 (edited by Tin Falcon 2016-05-23 00:05:15)

Topic: New FT-5 Cube style printer.

New Folger tech FT-5 Kit 300 x 300 x 400 build area  linear rails MKs 1.4 controller, 2004 lcd standard . I am so tempted .

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0586/8617/products/Folger-Web-1_original_medium.jpg?v=1463494619
$499 + sh

https://folgertech.com/collections/3d-p … rinter-kit

I have been pondering a scratch build but this printer is very much along the lines of what i have been thinking. And a lot faster to source faster to biuld and likely not more money in the long run.

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Re: New FT-5 Cube style printer.

yeah, I am also VERY tempted to pick on up... tongue
a lot of chit-chat on the FT facebook group about it - one guy is in the process of building now. his last post showed a mostly complete structure with wiring spaghetti in progress...

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

I was at microcenter the other day and picked up a couple ramps boards and a couple arduino board thinking may be a scratch build. with the exception of the dual extruders  this looks of similar , but improved design of the SD workbench.
I could easily weld a steel frame but the simplicity and flexibility of the 2020 is nice.

At this point I think I will wait and save some clams  and learn to make my I3 print better although I am very happy with the latest prints. Not planning on jumping on this but I see this as my next printer.
In some ways I think I would like a 200 x 300 bed better  but  should be easy enough to downsize if i really wanted to.
I am learning that it is not necessarily about the best printer but finding the best settings for the printer you have.
tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

4 (edited by heartless 2016-05-23 12:40:45)

Tin Falcon wrote:

I was at microcenter the other day and picked up a couple ramps boards and a couple arduino board thinking may be a scratch build. with the exception of the dual extruders  this looks of similar , but improved design of the SD workbench.
I could easily weld a steel frame but the simplicity and flexibility of the 2020 is nice.

At this point I think I will wait and save some clams  and learn to make my I3 print better although I am very happy with the latest prints. Not planning on jumping on this but I see this as my next printer.
In some ways I think I would like a 200 x 300 bed better  but  should be easy enough to downsize if i really wanted to.
I am learning that it is not necessarily about the best printer but finding the best settings for the printer you have.
tin

That, right there!
Figuring out what settings work best for the printer you have is 75% of the battle.
Taking the time to actually learn the programs you are using is the other 25%.

I have said it before, and I will say it again - there is no magic formula that can be shared and suddenly everything works, one has to take the time to figure out what works best for the printer in front of them.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

I'm interested to see how they are powering a 300x300 heated bed on 12V...I have a 250x250 (10") on my Ord Build and that heater draws 20A at startup; 14-16 during run...RAMPS based controllers usually handle max 11A.

For that reason I use a SSR and separate wiring directly to the HB...

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

i do know they are using an MKS board, other than that... ?? tongue

Well if I were to buy another printer this would be it. Of course that is today who knows what tomorrow will bring. I do expect this to be the next one.  It is a little bigger than my  Ideal but if i really wanted to I could scale it down some.

I am thinking it should have upgraded drivers and a .6-.8 mm nozzle. 

This is a lesson I keep relearning . This was advice I was given by a friend when I purchased the SD4  . And a lesson I was reminded of last weekend  by my lack of quality of  the prints at the time and one of the vendors at the Printed Solid makers festival.

The concept that one can push a button and make things with a 3d printer is a fallacy. You need to be a designer  have an artists eye and the mind of a detective, and the heart of a technician.
Tin

add to that being bulldog stubborn, too... wink it does help.. LOL

I'm interested to see how they are powering a 300x300 heated bed on 12V...I have a 250x250 (10") on my Ord Build and that heater draws 20A at startup; 14-16 during run...RAMPS based controllers usually handle max 11A.

Yes good question maybe a relay. seems like the bigger machines would do better with a 24 v system. Cut the amps in half.
They may be running a relay so the heat bed cn be direct wired to the PS.

Not sure the MKS is  a real upgrade.  One board instead of two , But if one accidently fries the com port  you are out like $30 instead of $10 DAMHIKT.

And imho you need the better drivers . they handle heat better.

Tin Falcon wrote:

Yes good question maybe a relay. seems like the bigger machines would do better with a 24 v system. Cut the amps in half.
They may be running a relay so the heat bed cn be direct wired to the PS.

Not sure the MKS is  a real upgrade.  One board instead of two , But if one accidently fries the com port  you are out like $30 instead of $10 DAMHIKT.

And imho you need the better drivers . they handle heat better.

How does one fry a comport? I have owned 5 printers in my life and have never fried a comport and all of those printers have gone through at least 3 different controllers during various upgrades. So that is 15 different controllers and have yet to fry a comport. The worst I did was fry a driver because I forgot to connect the motor.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

straightening a pin on an end stop . forgetting to disconnect the usb cable!!  mental gas!!!
Tin I should have been more care I do know better cost me a $10 arduino board.

I can't find a forum, blog or wiki for the FT-5
Are all the buyers / builders so happy they don't
need to comment on the FT-5
Folgertech doesn't have forum

Maybe just too new?

13 (edited by Tin Falcon 2016-06-18 17:42:02)

Maybe just too new?

Yes a very new product. . The last i looked the manual was considered a draft copy.
This unit is just being released into the wild.
there is a member here that is waiting on the kit to build. And I have a friend from wilmington DE building one.

I expect it to be a typical FT kit a good value  a usable buildable kit . But a few minor bugs and possibly a couple minor pieces of hardware missing and maybe a few extra pieces included .
I encourage anyone interested download the build manual and give it a good looking over. Seems pretty well written.
I expect this will be my next 3d printer. JUst need to feel like i am ready to spend the time and money.
Tin

there is no forum for the FolgerTech printers - yet... one is in the works, however. and yes, this is a very new printer - hasn't even been out a month yet - almost, but not quite.

There is a facebook group specifically for the FT offerings (and if you join, you can get an 11% discount on any goods ordered from FolgerTech - yes, even the new FT-5!) https://www.facebook.com/groups/Folgert … =bookmarks

There are a few that have received theirs and have them built and running (beta testers) and so far, it seems to be a pretty impressive machine. Will know more next weekend - supposed to be taking delivery of mine on Wednesday (22nd)

Anyone have a 3D CAD drawing of the FT-5? Ideally in STEP format or such? I have one on order and am curious to look at how upgrade parts from Thingiverse will or won't integrate.

SD2 Pro + RH + Slic3r on Win7Ent (~Craigslist Oct. 2016 my 1st printer: upgrading & calibrating to near perfection)
- E3D V6 hotend; 30A PSU; Glass bed for ABS or Blue Tape on glass for PLA
- X-axis NEMA 14 press on fan (thing:1871741); Lawsy almost everything else; 3mm Z axis rod (thing:1868824)
- Sang board w/all headers, ATmega1284P w/OptiBoot and Marlin beta firmware; VRef tuned

Anyone have a 3D CAD drawing of the FT-5? Ideally in STEP format or such? I have one on order and am curious to look at how upgrade parts from Thingiverse will or won't integrate.

SD2 Pro + RH + Slic3r on Win7Ent (~Craigslist Oct. 2016 my 1st printer: upgrading & calibrating to near perfection)
- X-axis NEMA 14 press on fan (thing:1871741); Lawsy almost everything else; 3mm Z axis rod (thing:1868824)
- Sang board w/all headers, ATmega1284P w/OptiBoot and Marlin beta firmware; VRef tuned

Dont know  I would talk to FT but may have prototypes it possibly without those files .
There is some stuff on the google drive., like the files for laser cut parts.

$425! Folger Tech FT-5
Lowest price ever and for a limited time!
COUPON : 425ft5BF16
(Active 11/25)

what kind of parts are you looking at upgrading?

For that reason I use a SSR and separate wiring directly to the HB

As I am learning more about the arduino ad the like micro controllers, I see the output to the HB is pwm  so I can only assume the SSR can handle the  pwm input and control the heat  to the bed accordingly ??
Tin

Tin Falcon wrote:

$425! Folger Tech FT-5
Lowest price ever and for a limited time!
COUPON : 425ft5BF16
(Active 11/25)

Exactly! smile

All of the melamine laser cut parts. I don't think I'm going to bother attaching the screen and controller knob. I will just control via a Raspberry Pi or something. Also there are lots of 20x20 rail items for mounting cameras and sensors and I'm wondering about clearances.

heartless wrote:

brucesdad13 wrote:

All of the melamine laser cut parts. I don't think I'm going to bother attaching the screen and controller knob. I will just control via a Raspberry Pi or something. Also there are lots of 20x20 rail items for mounting cameras and sensors and I'm wondering about clearances.

heartless wrote:

If you use the screen and knob then you can print from SDcard. I would not print any other way now. I do all my designing and slicing on my much faster machine on the other side of the room now. Slice it, copy it to SDcard, then take it to the printer and let it go. Don't have to worry about setting it up in octoprint or anything.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I print off SD on my FT2020  most of the time . The lcd is handy  a decent amount of control once you get used to it.  I had to print a mount for mine it was not included in the kit.  But for $ 10 seemed silly not to do the upgrade. 

Tin

Hrm... worth a shot smile

carl_m1968 wrote:

If you use the screen and knob then you can print from SDcard. I would not print any other way now. I do all my designing and slicing on my much faster machine on the other side of the room now. Slice it, copy it to SDcard, then take it to the printer and let it go. Don't have to worry about setting it up in octoprint or anything.