Re: New FT-5 Cube style printer.

brucesdad13 wrote:

All of the melamine laser cut parts. I don't think I'm going to bother attaching the screen and controller knob. I will just control via a Raspberry Pi or something. Also there are lots of 20x20 rail items for mounting cameras and sensors and I'm wondering about clearances.

heartless wrote:

what kind of parts are you looking at upgrading?

If you are wanting to replace all of the melamine, you may want to look at the metal upgrade kit being offered 713maker.com (http://713maker.com/ft5.html) - all machined aluminum parts, designed to be a "drop in" replacement - no other modifications requited. there is a bit of a waiting list however...

as for the heatbed.. the 12v heatbed it ships with struggles to get over 60C. Many have upgraded to a 120v - 750w Keenovo Silicone heater running via an SSR. I have one, but have not installed it yet (too many other things going on at the moment).

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

27 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-03-13 22:48:24)

Well again after months of pondering  I did it I placed an order for the FT5 . And a couple hand fulls of driver chip cards. I have a couple inland mega boards and a couple sainsmart ramps but no chips for them . Microcenter wants something like $11 each for sainsmart drivers the real thing only cost about $ 8 .
I was planning on picking one up at the factory a month ago  but life happens. Our long time friends had no room at the in and the wife's car had a brand new radiator leak. So no trip north.
And yes the FB discount code still works.
tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

And now the wait...

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

You've been waiting since the 12th?

Yes I know sort wait  it has only been a week . early bird kickstarters sometimes wait 6 months for a kit Me not that patent.  And I know it it will take a couple days in transit.
They are quoting 4-10 days before shipping. and i expect they lost a day or two due to the blizzard.

we both ordered the FT5 on the same day

here any updates on yours yet?

Not yet

No word here either. it appears a guy who ordered his 2 weeks before me got his today, if that means anything,

i have my own machine shop at home, so i am using the time to draw up parts in cad. ill double check all the specs when my kit arrives, fine tune the parts, mill alot out of alum, ditch the melamine from the git go. also plan to ditch the z screws for some
misumi ball screws  i have collecting dust. i have a prusa I3 now. knowing this has alot more mass, highly considering more industrial grade electronics, motors. i want the ability to control accel/decel  better. i have a few galil motion controllers,  i have been using them on most every machine i build or retro. in light of that ive ordered some nice PID temp controllers, 24v heaters, psu. hiwin linear guides. the kit for its price is a good starting point. anxious

34 (edited by heartless 2017-03-21 23:58:39)

the FT-5 runs just fine in stock form - I have one, and built it stock - aside from a few wiring connections - to start with. was printing great at speeds pushing 100mm/s with no problems

an RC plane wing section...

http://soliforum.com/i/?jX80CkK.jpg

testing overhangs... this is upside down so you can see the overhanging part...

http://soliforum.com/i/?CDJ1i0a.jpg

I have since made a couple of upgrades - aluminum print head carriage (this is the one melamine part I highly recommend gets replaced), E3D Titan extruder and Volcano hotend, and I will be replacing the early version Mk2 PCB type heatbed i got with a silicone heater.

and there is a guy that does full aluminum kits for these already... 713Maker.com

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

came home to a large box on the porch.
The printer is here and the packets pulled out of the box.

time for a full inventory!

Yea I suppose. did not rip all the bags apart yet.
But the frame is assembled . I figure a good start. Phase 1 complete.
Tin

The apprentice checking the frame for square
the kid is the size of an average 4 year old.

Post's attachments

Frame Check 2.jpg
Frame Check 2.jpg 970.9 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

That is a pretty large frame Tin. You will be able to print some quite large items with that one.

I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!
Wanhao Duplicator I3 Plus with glass bed, MK10 All Metal Hot End

12" by 12" by roughly 14" build area when completed - yes, I have one. lol

Between a bit of a headache and a good part of the day at Makers day not a lot done during the day on Saturday. But some assembly work done in the evening.
build sub base assembled y and z motors mounted z axis hardware mounted guide rod hardware on .
So progress moves forward.
Tin

Post's attachments

Day2_progressMed.jpg
Day2_progressMed.jpg 292.34 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

progress continues
last evening rested did not work on the printer.
some tonight.  still a bit to go.

Post's attachments

Day 6.jpg 374.23 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

just a heads up - you need to remove some of the links in that cable chain - you have it WAY too long.

Pull the X gantry all the way forward, and shorten that chain to where it just makes the curve to the mounting point.
Same thing with the X axis itself... you only want enough links that the chain makes the length without binding. if you have a few links left over when you are done that is fine. but do not leave excess in place, you wont have enough wiring to reach.

H…m, looking good. Can't wait to hear your review.

Heartless . I did remove a couple links as you said . id did not count them may need to remove another.

Can't wait to hear your review.

The manual is on version 11 so they have tweaked from the beginning averaging about 1  a month i think. So far so good on the build have no real complaints so far a couple minor glitches and redo but all in all seems like good quality and things fitting well together. and going smooth. In some ways easier than the I3 kit. All the axis see em to move the way they should. this kit is almost twice the price of the I3 but more parts better parts and a bigger printer. The one 3d printed part looks a little iffy but not a big deal.
Will keep you posted.

Yesterday had a friend over and we made some progress. We got a lot of the wiring done the PS and board installed the z motors wired the x axis wired . The control box assembled and mounted.
Today i hooked up the extruder/hot end . Note this is an E3D Aero setup with an upgraded 40 watt heater and a .8mm nozzle. This is about a $ 130 add on not part of the original kit.  So anyone buying this kit do not expect this extruder/ hot end in the parts bag.

Post's attachments

E3D AeroMed.jpg
E3D AeroMed.jpg 264.96 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

47 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-04-03 01:29:38)

And the control box

Post's attachments

Control BoxMed.jpg
Control BoxMed.jpg 358.35 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

That Aero looks great, Tin! looking forward to hearing how you like it once you get up and running.

on another note, however, I HIGHLY recommend you get that white plastic connector replaced with something better. There have been a lot of users that have had that thing melt on them.
I would suggest something more like an XT30 connector (search Hobby King) - they are used in RC battery applications a fair bit... small, but capable of handling much more power than the stock piece is

you can see the male half of the connector here - the yellow piece...

http://soliforum.com/i/?ELt81vW.jpg

I HIGHLY recommend you get that white plastic connector replaced with something better.

I have a couple that are likely better built but same type may throw on of those in for now. the good thing it is a visible part not hidden away

I ordered 3/24. I have also ordered L and T 2020 aluminum plate to replace the melamine and the E3D Titan Aero. I have requested order of Extruder Mounting Kit and Gantry Kit from 713Maker.com but I don't think this will happen before I start build. Does anyone know how long it takes to get parts from 713Maker.com?