Re: New FT-5 Cube style printer.

I have also ordered L and T 2020 aluminum plate to replace the melamine

It was out of stock at FT when I ordered my kit

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin Falcon wrote:

I have also ordered L and T 2020 aluminum plate to replace the melamine

It was out of stock at FT when I ordered my kit

Same for me I got them coming from here, only .80 cent a piece, http://www.robotdigg.com

the parts from 713Maker - all depends on where they are with fulfilling current orders. I got lucky and got mine pretty quickly. i think they try to keep the extruder carriages in stock as they are quite popular vs the full kit.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Ok moving on with the build . Wired the heat bed put some high temp sealer around the connector  and wires checked ohms across the connector and wow less than an ohm ???

Did some research the FT web page. the 12 x 12 plate is listed at 19 Amps at 12 v this calculates out to  .63 Ohms  so this is correct also no continuity between the connections and the al plate so should be good Wheew!! was a bit concerned the HF meter read .6 the old simpson something over half an ohm . Probably the .63 .
the next question that comes to mind . Is the heat bed  PWM/PID controlled or on/off. Guess i need to inspect the firmware.
Also have a insulation blanket to help with the heat load.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Well I think it is together  still need to triple check things and load the firmware. then verify all the electronics and tune the firmware. .....

THE MACHINE it lives. Doing a test print as i write this. Start up checks / calibration went pretty well. A little trouble with firmware loading seems like the temp probe routine is a nuisance.
I am mostly liking the FT kits but hating there firmware. Like they grabbed it out of someones discard pile.

temp sensors check reading room temp after fw load.
end stops look good all motors in the right direction
bed and hot end heating.
A bit of difficulty getting the z axis to home I think it has to do with the z probe thing  and there is no z probe on this machine. All in all pretty happy . I received the box of parts  two weeks ago yesterday and today i am doing a test print.
The only parts that are missing is about 4 5mm T nuts think i will just buy a bag. I may have misplaced them or they could just be a shortage. there are other parts extra . Hard to have a perfect count on everything.

I think I am getting the firmware to my liking takes time.
I am 15 days into this build two weekends working chores and lif and an hour or two evenings as I have the time so feeling successful.

That's good to hear Tin. Glad it all went together well.

Tom

I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!
Wanhao Duplicator I3 Plus with glass bed, MK10 All Metal Hot End

Still fighting with the stupid z axis stop no real fine adjustment. and had a layer shitf issue on the second print attempt. so stil debugging shaking things down . But yes feeling successful.

the dual motor axes (Y & Z) need more voltage than you would normally go...

and yeah - the firmware is something that has always been an issue.. more cobbled together than polished and professional. tongue

for the Z endstop, maybe this will help with fine tuning... http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1677467
it does require a hole to be drilled for the screw, but it makes life a LOT easier. lol

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

61 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-04-09 14:01:07)

Thanks heartless  i was able to tweak the firmware to allow for manual homing of the z.

the z stop needs some sort of screw adjustment . the height is just too critical.

Seems like an afterthought rather than part of the plan . Like they forgot about it and threw it on last minute 

The solidoodles had a adjusting knob. as do some of cheap Chinese I3 knock offs . this is such a minor but critical part. Speaking of knobs I need to look at the control knob for the front control panned.  another unthunk nuisance. 

IMHO the manual still has a few gaps and I wonder about some of the  "extra" parts I have left.
I was already thinking i need to drill a hole in the sub base and likely need to adjust the pots .
As always thanks for the input . Over all a fun successful build.

And just a little pressure to do this right. An engineer friend of mine is watching me on this one. and he helped for a few hours. He so far has a few years experience with 3d printers . U-prints and an ultimaker . He still does not own one for his home shop. and he is eyeing this one as a possibility.

I guess i should not complain . This is an overall nice kit for the money. And the kit is packaged in the USA and folks need to eat. Less frustration and more fun than the first build I think my expectations a little more realistic.
Just over two weeks and i have a print that is not horrible and no calls for help to FT.

Decided to try a couple vases. Just a quick doodle in 123dDesign. a line a polyline and a revolve.
just saved it as a solid printed it as a single perimeter with no infill

1 at 100% one a t% 150.

Post's attachments

vases.jpg
vases.jpg 213.17 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

not too shabby. smile

There is always more to be done but happy with this build.
The  .8 nozzle  makes things more reasonable with the larger print envelope.
And my friend that lent a hand has ordered his own.

65 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-05-03 00:22:56)

Have been doing a few prints. Tuned the stepper drivers to recommenced ref volts.
I have been a bit concerned with the power supply on this unit. NO Name Chinese PS Rated at 360 watts . IMHO marginal for printer with a roughly 144 in ^2 bed.
Then I see this photo on the FT forum. http://folgerforum.com/uploads/default/optimized/2X/3/34abf5768e27e68c37b0be413b8b966a9e2f5fe4_1_666x500.JPG
So the concern level rises. then after a couple hours of printing  I am getting some high temps on the case the fan is not coming on
The fan should come on at an internal temp of 45 c  I did some more testing and printing and the fan is not coming on. . With a case temp of about 50C as measured with  HF IR thermometer and a HF thermocouple on a multi meter.
So in the interest of safety reliability and some reserve power:

i ordered mean well SE-450-12

https://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mea … 0-12.shtml
https://www.trcelectronics.com/ecomm/images/SE-450.JPG

you could have saved a few dollars (and supported a great small business, too) and ordered this one:
https://www.printitindustries.com/colle … wer-supply

I have these on both of my SD4s - no problems at all.

Heartless :
I am sure the super-nights are fine for any 8" cube printer.
OK A super-night 12 V 30 Amp is $ 33  a same rated  Meanwell is about $ 12 more
so I am pay more for a name brand with a 2 year warranty and I am paying more for more power output and my supplier is a bit closer so a little less lead time  and lower shipping . I am getting a better power supply , with more power  a two year warranty shipped basically over night at ups ground rates. IMHO a good value.

Tin Falcon wrote:

Heartless :
so I am pay more for a name brand with a 2 year warranty and I am paying more for more power output and my supplier is a bit closer so a little less lead time  and lower shipping . I am getting a better power supply , with more power  a two year warranty shipped basically over night at ups ground rates. IMHO a good value.

Just a little FYI, the Meanwell and Superbrights as well as many others are all made in the same factory with the same parts. I repair and rebuild network power supplies and rectifiers for a living. We see this all the time where we will have the same rectifier/power supply, same case, and same guts but 4 different brands.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

same guts but 4 different brands.

Yep have seen this as well.In many industries.  The problem is  having to choose a power supply when there are many choices an labels a and the price ranges from $13 to over 300 for a ps of the "SAME " Specification. I think most will select middle ground . Hard to know at what point the component number, specifications and quality gets better.

Meanwell also has a high performance model that is about twice the price of what i bought.

I would like to think the name brands have at least some QC/QA in place.

Meanwell and Superbrights as well as many others are all made in the same factory with the same parts.

So both good names to look for!!

Tin Falcon wrote:

Heartless :

http://soliforum.com/i/?1h9e8hR.jpg

you are running the same basic components on the FT-5 as on an 8" cube... so, imho, that argument is moot.
I would not hesitate to use the Supernight power supply on my FT-5.

Is the Meanwell actually "better"? Who says it is? Meanwell? Of course they are going to claim that about their own product.

The Supernight is/has been proven to work, and work well, in 3d printers - not just by me, but by others, too.

But yeah, ok, whatever... to each their own...

Ok, so I'm now starting to piece together the information I need to order and build one of these beasts! I have a question for you guys, have you printed with PETG and or Nylon? I assume it should do the PETG ok because the filament I was looking at recommends 230 - 250C. I usually print at a lower temp than the max reccomended on the ABS and PLA I have so I see no trouble with that. But the nylon spec is up to 270C, so I was wondering if anyone has printed much with Nylon or PETG and your results.
Any recommendations for me before I order the kit, like extra items to have on hand for upgrading?
Has anyone installed the CNC kit that was supposed to be available for this machine? I didn't check if it was available yet.

IIRC it will print petg stock . I installed a e3d titan. so that would handle nylon .
You may want to order some of the aluminum corner plates . I have thought about this but is as far as i have gotten.  the make 713 extruder mount is a popular upgraded to consider.
And you may want a better power supply these seem to be a weak spot. I had one that the fan switch was not connected and my buddy had an out of box failure on one. They will replace any bad or missing parts as long as you build in a timely manner and document  .

in stock form you "should" be able to run some PETGs ok, but nylon will require an upgraded hotend, no ifs, ands or buts

I believe max temp for the stock hotend is about 245-250, so.. (i upgraded mine to a Volcano, but have since taken that back off - see below)

I have one of the CNC kits - in the process of installing, but "life" has kind of gotten in the way of finishing that project... it is no "easy" task, either. you have to completely disassemble the X carriage to install the CNC head.

What's a 713 extruder mount? Folgertech sells it?

75 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-07-22 01:59:38)

No it is an aftermarket product

http://713maker.com/ft5.html
You will not find a titan at Folger either they are here:
https://printedsolid.com/products/e3d-titan-aero

https://www.filastruder.com/products/e3 … ruder-aero