Re: Davinci Jr Repetier Port

mathew_orman wrote:

I have the RepRap firmware running using remote access trough USB port. It is printing and I've enabled the debug messages an can see all printing parameters. Still tracing pins and found temperature controller is an advanced circuit outside the sam processor so I have to draw full schematic and identify components involved. As mentioned before there is no LCD support so after I get all pins running I will switch to Repetier since it already has the LCD support which will also require to write new platform interface using sam4e. In any case I will not give up porting open firmware on davinci junior 1.0...

Any way you'd be willing to share your pins.h?

Also, is there a pins.h file floating around that works for the printer? I personally couldnt care less about the LCD if that's all that hasn't been mapped.

Any progress? I'm really curious about progress.
May I help you somehow?

The only pins currently available are the pins I shared and still missing the heater and thermistor pins and SD card reader, I did not had time until now to get them, even you do not care SD reader / panel  / keypad or even these pins are found - I doubt the thermistor reading will be ok, if they built jr like others Davinci, an adjustment will be necessary to get correct temperature

so still some work to do / find

luc wrote:

The only pins currently available are the pins I shared and still missing the heater and thermistor pins and SD card reader, I did not had time until now to get them, even you do not care SD reader / panel  / keypad or even these pins are found - I doubt the thermistor reading will be ok, if they built jr like others Davinci, an adjustment will be necessary to get correct temperature

so still some work to do / find

If there is anything I can do to help, please feel free to let me know. I've got two of these pieces of crap laying around now, so one can be sacrificed if need be, for the greater good.

<UndefinedDeluxe> wrote:

if you are having trouble finding those pins, tell other people your method and they can then help you find them, having multiple people look ensures quality AND speed through redundancy

There is only one method to find pins. That is to trace the traces by sight and by measurement. So anyone that owns one of these machines can help. Just do it with the power off and be aware of ESD.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

56 (edited by <UndefinedDeluxe> 2017-04-28 01:51:08)

ive just given up on this, i bought a ramps 1.4 kit with the screen and all, but i know that the heater core and thermistor of the extruder are both on plugs, so i can jerry-rig those to connect to the ramps 1.4 system. if the fix comes out, i may switch back for sake of cleanliness.

ive also noticed that the extruder heater coil (as i called it core earlier) goes to pin 8 on this chip/gate within the extruder module itself, I have no clue what that means, but the trace goes under the edge of the connector and i have not seen it go to the connector itself.

now i have another question:
are they using ASBESTOS for the wire insulation!? that's kinda dangerous!
(note: im jumping to conclusions here, i saw something like this on the 260 motor on my ford fairlane 500 with its automatic choke system, they used asbestos in the insulation there because laws and regulations were different back in 1964, i do not know exactly if or if not this is the case, but it is highly probable)

Fact: You have effectively wasted about 7 seconds of your life reading this one line of useless words.

<UndefinedDeluxe> wrote:

now i have another question:
are they using ASBESTOS for the wire insulation!? that's kinda dangerous!
(note: im jumping to conclusions here, i saw something like this on the 260 motor on my ford fairlane 500 with its automatic choke system, they used asbestos in the insulation there because laws and regulations were different back in 1964, i do not know exactly if or if not this is the case, but it is highly probable)

braided fiberglass insulation

Has anyone else been able to confirm pin 8 for the heater on the Jr? Going to be looking into it myself this weekend sometime.

59 (edited by <UndefinedDeluxe> 2017-05-07 04:25:41)

i found where the heater pins go to (on the ribbon cable from the extruder module) the pads are color coded, and the two pins that are directly next to the white mark are unknown to me
the NTC(Thermistor) seems to be connected directly under the 3rd white mark from the left and what it seems like to me,
the fan and thermistor share power or a ground (whether an npn transistor, possibly that gate, or they are powered on at different times by the board itself)http://soliforum.com/i/?UwfpLKq.jpg

Fact: You have effectively wasted about 7 seconds of your life reading this one line of useless words.

that chip now mystifies me, i have no clue what its purpose is

<UndefinedDeluxe> wrote:

If you mean U2 then get a better picture of it where the markings show and I can maybe tell you.

<UndefinedDeluxe> wrote:

I guess the chip stores the ID and some further information about the extruder like nozzle diameter and type (since there is also a laser engrave module for the JR) and passes these information to the printer.

<UndefinedDeluxe> wrote:

i found where the heater pins go to (on the ribbon cable from the extruder module) the pads are color coded, and the two pins that are directly next to the white mark are unknown to me
the NTC(Thermistor) seems to be connected directly under the 3rd white mark from the left and what it seems like to me,
the fan and thermistor share power or a ground (whether an npn transistor, possibly that gate, or they are powered on at different times by the board itself)http://soliforum.com/i/?UwfpLKq.jpg

It seems more likely that the Ground would be shared. The Power would need to be applied separately UNLESS the gate provides power to both the NTC and the Fan, then it would have to split the signal and regulate power to each separately.

I'll be doing a bit of tracing sometime this week now that I have the time, and hopefully be able to confirm pins on the chip or, at the very least, map the traces.

megatron wrote:
<UndefinedDeluxe> wrote:

It seems more likely that the Ground would be shared. The Power would need to be applied separately UNLESS the gate provides power to both the NTC and the Fan, then it would have to split the signal and regulate power to each separately.

I'll be doing a bit of tracing sometime this week now that I have the time, and hopefully be able to confirm pins on the chip or, at the very least, map the traces.

You posted twice.

On most 3D printer logic the ground is often switched instead of power. So it is possible that power is shared and then the ground is switched.

65 (edited by megatron 2017-05-12 02:02:46)

Just finished tracing these pins on the chip. There are a lot of unpopulated pins on this chip. It seems that they could have saved quite a bit of time and money by shrinking this chip to the basic essentials.

That being said, I've checked these connections 5 times a piece just to make sure that I got the pins right. Since I'm still not 100% sure that each pin is 100% accurate, or even if there aren't any redunancies in place, these pins will still need to be verified.

Each ground is as follows, and are the pins on the left of each header

NTC Pin 1 = Light Purple
J5 Pin 1 = Yellow
Fan Pin 1 = Green
Heater Pin 1 = Blue

The powered pins are as follows, and are the pins on the right of each header

NTC Pin2 = Dark Purple
J5 Pin 2 = Pink
Fan Pin 2 = Black
Heater Pin 2 (Bottom Pin) = Red

I can confirm that each header has its own ground coming from the ribbon cable.http://soliforum.com/i/?oUrlOKK.jpg

66 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-05-12 02:11:50)

megatron wrote:

Just finished tracing these pins on the chip. There are a lot of unpopulated pins on this chip. It seems that they could have saved quite a bit of time and money by shrinking this chip to the basic essentials.

That being said, I've checked these connections 5 times a piece just to make sure that I got the pins right. Since I'm still not 100% sure that each pin is 100% accurate, or even if there aren't any redunancies in place, these pins will still need to be verified.

I am am electronic tech of 20 years. If you supply a good image of the chip and the markings on it, I can find out what it is and what each pin does. My guess is that it is a EEPROM of the two wire variety. Meaning it really only needs 3 pins to operate. Similar to the chips found on the filament rolls for the Cube 3. This chip as has already been mentioned probably stores data about the hotend so the printer knows what type of hotend is currently installed.

Xyz uses the same contoller in all their printers. Some of the boards are just more populated depending on their function.

Their new 3 in 1 is a printer, router, and engraver. So it needs an easy way to identify what type of head is installed. Most likely it uses this same head for the printet finction. Chances are the chip may not even serve a purpose in your model. It is just there for models that need it.

Based on that last image,  what are you calling a chip exactly. I thought you meant the small one marked U2. Your image and markings seem to refer to the ribbon cable connector along the edge of the board. If that is the case it is nothing but a friction fit connector for the ribbon cable. If you wanted to know the purpose of each pin you would need to connect the cable and trace back to the main board.

67 (edited by megatron 2017-05-12 02:17:21)

carl_m1968 wrote:

Their new 3 in 1 is a printer, router, and engraver. So it needs an easy way to identify what type of head is installed. Most likely it uses this same head for the printet finction. Chances are the chip may not even serve a purpose in your model. It is just there for models that need it.

Thats probably the function of the ATMLH532 cip on the board. Looks like a custom ATMEL , maybe?

68 (edited by megatron 2017-05-12 03:46:23)

carl_m1968 wrote:

Based on that last image,  what are you calling a chip exactly. I thought you meant the small one marked U2. Your image and markings seem to refer to the ribbon cable connector along the edge of the board. If that is the case it is nothing but a friction fit connector for the ribbon cable. If you wanted to know the purpose of each pin you would need to connect the cable and trace back to the main board.

I should have clarified - the markings I provided are simply to the connection for the ribbon cable. The chip on the board is an ATMLH532, of which I'm still looking for information and a data sheet for.

Markings of that chip are as follows, the actual chip may vary from each:

ATMLH532
02DM          Y
A2ANGA

EDIT:

Assuming that the ground on the right of the cable connector is pin 1, with the only evidence I have being the ground on each header also happens to be Pin 1, I've made a simple cheat sheet to help in 2 things: First is to help confirm the pins I mapped, and second is to hopefully add to the pins that have already been discovered.

I grouped each pin to the white mark at every 5th pin, if that helps at all.

Header                 Header Pin               Ribbon
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fan (GRND)           1                            16
Fan                       2                            45
NTC (GRND)           1                            30
NTC                       2                            22
J5 (GRND)                   1                                34
J5                       2                            29
Heater(GRND)           1                            50
Heater               2                            40

EDIT #2: The ATMLH532 seems to be a power regulator. 12v 5a, which fits with the overall power requirements of the printer. Could be wrong, though.

The device is made by Atmel Asia. It is not available on the US market but there are many compatible devices with the same pinout. The attached image is the basic pinout.

It is an I2C bus Serial EEPROM. As suspected it stores information. In this case most likely the type of head that it is. As I said earlier you printer model may not even care as the earlier 1.0 did not have this IC on the board.

http://soliforum.com/i/?C08WbTr.jpg

In either case it is not the issue with your printer. I do not feel this board is your issue as i explained earlier. But I would like to ask why you suspect it is the issue?

70 (edited by megatron 2017-05-12 19:42:03)

Great Find Carl! Had a hell of a time trying to dig anything up and all of the information I could find lead me to believe it was a regulator of some sort. I don't think any one stated it was a problem though.

As far as that chip goes, it is nice to have finally found a pin out, but one thing that gets me is why the NTC and part of the Fan runs through it but not anything else. Perhaps I should start working on mapping those pins as well...

EDIT: I think the issue was the overall board still needed mapping.

megatron wrote:

Great Find Carl! Had a hell of a time trying to dig anything up and all of the information I could find lead me to believe it was a regulator of some sort. I don't think any one stated it was a problem though.

As far as that chip goes, it is nice to have finally found a pin out, but one thing that gets me is why the NTC and part of the Fan runs through it but not anything else. Perhaps I should start working on mapping those pins as well...

EDIT: I think the issue was the overall board still needed mapping.

Those are power and ground lines. They are common to all components on that board.

72 (edited by <UndefinedDeluxe> 2017-05-12 21:38:37)

for Megatron and Carl

what i think happened with this chip, they might have used it on a different extruder, such as the AiO or other ones, especially since it has an extra header. That could be why they used that chip on that board instead of going with something that could have been cheaper. or another likely scenario (arduino did this with their SMD version) they ran out of a supply or had a surplus of a supply and decided to use that chip instead.

but i never thought it was an issue with my printer, unless that is where the extra NFC data is stored i was just curious as to its purpose.

and if you havent found out, that center black bit is an optical filament sensor, when the filament goes through the big black piece on top, it depresses a spring-loaded bit on the underside, interrupting the signal from one side to the other.

74 (edited by <UndefinedDeluxe> 2017-05-12 21:39:31)

for Megatron and Carl

im sorry if i didnt get to this earlier: the problem with supplying a better image is that what i have currently takes a lengthy process and there are probably better examples online that can be obtained faster.

plus, i put it back in the fully-assembled extruder module so that i could hook it up to a RAMPS 1.4 board, because i wanted to, and so that i have something until (if it even happens) a port comes out for this board and its components.

another question though, does ninjaflex require a heated bed to be printed properly. If so, then either you would NEED a ramps 1.4 board or an externally-set board just for the heated bed, if you install one of course.