Re: Davinci Jr Repetier Port

<UndefinedDeluxe> wrote:

another question though, does ninjaflex require a heated bed to be printed properly. If so, then either you would NEED a ramps 1.4 board or an externally-set board just for the heated bed, if you install one of course.

I'm thinking that the NTC could somehow be hacked to read two sensors, then you could simply power the bed heater via the fan extension in the back of the unit, or pull from another non-essential place on the main board. But I think flexible filaments can print on a cold surface, just not sure how well they'll hold.

Of course another option is BuildTak. That stuff forces ABS to stick well to a cold print surface. Then when it's cooled, you pull it off the bed and pop it off.

<UndefinedDeluxe> wrote:

plus, i put it back in the fully-assembled extruder module so that i could hook it up to a RAMPS 1.4 board, because i wanted to, and so that i have something until (if it even happens) a port comes out for this board and its components.

Also, wouldn't putting this unit into a RAMPS setup require mapping the pins anyway? You'd still need to have that data handy to effectively wire the opposite end of the ribbon cable and keep it clean.

megatron wrote:
<UndefinedDeluxe> wrote:

plus, i put it back in the fully-assembled extruder module so that i could hook it up to a RAMPS 1.4 board, because i wanted to, and so that i have something until (if it even happens) a port comes out for this board and its components.

Also, wouldn't putting this unit into a RAMPS setup require mapping the pins anyway? You'd still need to have that data handy to effectively wire the opposite end of the ribbon cable and keep it clean.

It only involves finding what wires do what. Not all are needed for Ramps. Plus I believe there is already a guide here on doing it. The 1.0 has been done and atleast two guides are here on Soliforum.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

It only involves finding what wires do what. Not all are needed for Ramps. Plus I believe there is already a guide here on doing it. The 1.0 has been done and atleast two guides are here on Soliforum.

Always nice to learn something new! I'm kinda glad I've started to dabble in the engineering end of this lump of crap known as the JR.

Also, the thought occurs to me - Is it possible to wire the pre-existing LCD panel into a RAMPs set up? I'm fairly certain it would require wiring the ribbon cable and hacking it to bits to some extent, but has it been mapped and working with current definitions in firmware?

megatron wrote:

Also, the thought occurs to me - Is it possible to wire the pre-existing LCD panel into a RAMPs set up? I'm fairly certain it would require wiring the ribbon cable and hacking it to bits to some extent, but has it been mapped and working with current definitions in firmware?

The existing panel will not work with a Ramps.  It uses a different communication protocol that the Ramps cannot provide. I was one of the first to convert my 1.0 to  Ramps and the LCD that comes with them. I just made an enclosure that mounted to the outside over where the stock display and buttons where.  I then bought the parts to make two 6 foot ten pin ribbon cables in order to connect the LCD to the Ramps mounted in the back where the stock board was. 6 feet is required for such routing similar to stock routing.

You will also nerd to buy three optical or mechanical endstops. The existing ones are not compatible with a Ramps as they do not have current limiting resistors installed. Those are on the stock mainboard as well.

I'm guessing the motherboard is used in a few JR models. I'm still looking for the pin on the Atmel chip on the motherboard for the heater, but the NTC is wired to 8 on said chip. I can't seem to nail down the heater or fan and can only further guess that the only piece on the hot ends daughter board that takes a reading is the NTC. I can only theorize that the Atmel chip on the main board simply spit some out power to the pins that need it. I was able to find an NTC for a heated bed on pin 104. I'll map the camera and such in a few here, but I'm really curious about the Left and Right lasers. Are those meant to be scanning lasers? If so, that'd be really handy to have if we can figure that out too.

83 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-05-13 14:57:59)

No offense, but this is appearing to be beyond your understanding of electronics. On all circuit boards there is a power bus, ground bus , and other common busses. In many cases you could even have multiple grounds such as analog and digital which are actually different from each other. You can have multiple power busses such as +12VDC, -12VDC, +5VDC, -5VDC, +3.3Vdc. and so on. These will run to all devices that need those busses but it does not mean that device has any control of that bus. 

In your case those pins you are seeing are power and ground on all of the devices on that board. They are simply sharing those connections. They are not controlled by that Atmel chip that chip simply shares those busses with the other parts.

The only thing the Atmel chip does is it tells the controller in the printer that it is a printer head versus an engraving head versus a router head like the 3 in 1 would use. XYZ uses the same controller in all of their machines so this is how that controller can tell what kind of machine it is in and what functions it needs to support. It serves no other purpose or function.

That little board in the extruder serves no purpose except to be a pass through  from the ribbon cable to each connector for the fan, the heater, and the thermistor which is what you call the NTC. This type of connection system is more flexible and durable and it give them a place to solder and connect the filament sensor which is the device in the middle of the board.
There are only two active devices on that board. Those are the sensor and the Atmel chip. They do not talk to each other nor do they interact with or control anything else on that board. They only talk to the mainboard through the ribbon cable. The connections you marked for them are again just shared but not controlled busses.

To be clear, i've started mapping from the cable connection on the main board to the Atmel processor. At this time the only connection I could find was the NTC. I can not, at this time, account for any other connection - output or otherwise - that goes to the smaller chip on the hot end. What I stated was that. I made guesses as to how the processor would handle the communication to the parts I simply could not find, that being telling another part of the main board to delegate power output to things like the Fan and Heat cartridge.

To be blunt, ignore the Atmel chip. It serves no purpose on the model of printer you have. Yes it is connected as it is on all models. But it is not supported on your model and seves no purpose.

I'm about to pick one of these printers up (found it at a discount of course).

I've got a fair bit of experience in reverse engineering circuit boards, so I think I should be able to get the pins traced if there's still any interest in porting Repetier.

If not I'll just convert the whole thing to an open source kit, but I'd like to see if this might still be possible.

87 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-09-08 22:25:10)

RepRap DuetWiFi and DuetEthernet use the same Atmel ATSAM4E8E chip, RepRapFirmware supporting RepRap DuetWiFi and DuetEthernet is open source
https://github.com/dc42/RepRapFirmware/ … rc/DuetNG/

Is there anything we can use to help such as bootloader or pin mapping?
https://github.com/arduino/ArduinoModul … /sam4e8e.h

Can we use this as IDE instead of Arduino 1.8.4 if the board support and bootloader is a problem?
http://www.visualmicro.com/page/Arduino … dio-7.aspx
Please install Visual Micro from within the Atmel Studio 7 IDE using "Tools>Extensions and Updates>Available Downloads>All"
A free Arduino extension for Atmel Studio. Arduino compatible build and Atmel Studio debugging. A paid version is available at low cost with many additional features.
Atmel Studio with Visual Micro offers Arduino compatible project build alongside hardware and simulated debuggers. Visual Micro ensures project codes stays cross-platform Arduino compatible and also allows the Atmel platform specific tools to be used when required.
Visual Micro in Atmel Studio works the same as it does in Visual Studio (apart from shared projects and editing of libraries) but also combines Atmel programming, debugging and simulators.
Using Atmel Studio Device Programming With Arduino Builds
Visual Micro, in Atmel Studio 7, provides an additional Arduino programmer called "Atmel Studio Device Programming".
Selecting this option will use the standard Atmel project configuration settings (instead of Arduino programmers or bootloader).

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Instructions for building dc42 fork of RepRapFirmware under Windows

https://github.com/dc42/RepRapFirmware/ … uctions.md

This fork of RepRapFirmware support SAM4E8E if you compile with SAM4E build of CoreNG

Download and install the gcc cross-compiler. A simple way of doing this is to download Arduino version 1.5.8 and install it into folder C:/Arduino-1.5.8. The compiler and associated tools will then be in folder C:\Arduino-1.5.8\hardware\tools\gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1\bin. If you already have a later version of Arduino installed including the add-on for SAM processors, you will find the compiler and tools in a different folder, for example C:\Users<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\4.8.3-2014q1\bin.

Download and install Eclipse Neon 2. You no longer need the Arduino add-on.

In Eclipse create new workspace C:/Eclipse/Firmware. Then exit Eclipse.

Download this github project as a zip file and unzip it into C:/Eclipse/Firmware. Then rename folder ReprapFirmware-dev in that folder to RepRapFirmware.

Repeat for github project CoreNG. The folder name should be left as CoreNG (or renamed from CoreNG-dev to CoreNG if you downloaded a dev build).

5a. If you want to build version 1.19 or later of the Duet WiFi build of RepRapFirmware then you also need to download and add project DuetWiFiSocketServer. Alternatively, just download file src/include/MessageFormats.h from that project and put it somewhere on the include path for RepRapFirmware.

Load Eclipse and tell it to import the CoreNG and ReprapFirmware projects (and DuetWiFiSocketServer if you have nicluded it).

If your compiler and tools are in a folder other than C:\Arduino-1.5.8\hardware\tools\gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1\bin, configure the path to the tools in both projects. You will find this in the project settings under C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Cross Settings.

Ensure there is a copy of make.exe on your PATH. If you installed Arduino 1.5.8 into C:/Arduino-1.5.8 then there will be one in C:\Arduino-1.5.8\hardware\arduino\sam\system\CMSIS\Examples\cmsis_example\gcc_arm.

Build CoreNG first, then RepRapFirmware. The Duet WiFi and Duet Ethernet builds of RRF use the SAM4E build of CoreNG. The Duet085 build of RRF (which also runs on the Duet06) uses the SAM3X build of CoreNG. The RADDS build of RRF has its own build of CoreNG.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

@yizhou.he

Sweet! I'll give this a try and see how it goes. It should help with starting the pin tracing at the least

I've pulled my original board, and I'm doing some physical tracing. I'll build a schematic (as best I can) and upload that here

91 (edited by pyr0ball 2017-09-15 03:02:15)

Using Toshiba  TB62269FTG stepper driver (U10-U15)

NXP Cortex-M0 Microcontroller U17: LPC1115
^ I believe this is handling NFC as well as a couple of things on the print head.

I'm currently probing traces and keeping track on a google sheets spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … sp=sharing

I'll continue updating this sheet as I work. Pins highlighted in green have been traced from SAM to their destinations

Edit:
The FET controlling the heater is currently connected to a voltage comparator circuit (U9 LM2903 TSOP8)
Based on the pinout tracing I've done so far, it looks like the voltage comparator is being used as noted in the "Limit Comparator" Curcuit (replacing the Lamp with the heating element) and the input is coming from the Cortex-M0 microcontroller.

you can save time focus on missing pins, check what I shared in previous posts

luc wrote:

you can save time focus on missing pins, check what I shared in previous posts

Too late, those pins were the first ones I traced. I'm making good progress on it though. It looks like there's going to be some complicated messiness involved because a good portion of the print head is managed by U17 (Cortex-M0 Micro) so we'll have to figure out how that's interfaced first.

94 (edited by luc 2017-09-15 04:52:48)

Yes I got stucked by heater part
and did not spend time on lcd and sd card reader, I do not know how to follow trace so all pins were found using code test

good luck for tracing

95 (edited by pyr0ball 2017-09-15 05:37:32)

I'm going for the functional pins before I start poking at the LCD stuff. I just figured out the interface to the M0 is over serial (using RXD/TXD on pins 46 and 47). Now working on tracing that back to the ATSAM.

The last two pins on J115 (unpopulated header) are also connected to the M0's serial pins, so I could hook up a header and try capturing some data off it

Found a few more of the IC's and pulling values and schematics for them now.

U21/22 are RT7248 DC step-down converters. Currently working out the voltage divider on those to see what they are supposed to put out

Edit: U21 puts out the board's +5V supply, while U22 puts out the board's +3.3V supply. Both are current limited to 2A each

could J115 be used to flash M0? would be useful

luc wrote:

could J115 be used to flash M0? would be useful

If nothing else it could be used to sniff serial traffic between U2 and U17

98 (edited by pyr0ball 2017-09-15 08:05:20)

Well good news and bad news on the serial monitoring side.

Good news is I'm getting data, bad news is it's not usable at this time. Something is funky with the baud rates or the stop bits, or maybe they're using parity, but none of the configurations I've tried so far have yielded anything useful. basically I'm just stabbing the RXD/TXD lines with an FTDI usb serial controller and watching the output on PuTTY, trying different baud rates.

Getting serial data between the ATSAM and the M0 is going to be crucial to making this board work, as the heating element at the least is definitely controlled from the M0, as well as the filament sensor and the NFC controller (less the last bit, but still)

I haven't really been able to trace the endstops just yet because the lines for those pass through a few passives and vias, and it's hard to keep track of them. Will focus on those tomorrow.

Also it will be easier to do serial sniffing once I can solder a proper header onto J115 (don't have my soldering iron on hand here)

Edit: More Good News! Got readable serial output from J10! Pin1 is TXD, Pin4 is RXD. So far it's just been normal output, firmware version, then Z-offset something before it crashes because I don't have anything else connected to it.

Looks like I'll have to wire in a header for this port too

for end stops we have them already if you check my post

100 (edited by pyr0ball 2017-09-15 08:46:42)

luc wrote:

for end stops we have them already if you check my post

Ah derp I missed that line

Edit:
I spotted a conflict. Your table lists Pin73 as being the Y-Endstop, but I traced that to the LPC1115's TXD pin