Topic: How to hook up Smart LCD XXL on a Rumba?

Got the Rumba replacement back yesterday and have it installed, & everything running fine again aside from needing to tweak a few settings yet (we did get a replacement, not a repair, from the vendor).

So now I would like to get the LCD screen/SD card reader that the other half bought hooked up - just because... (not having much faith in the USB department anymore LOL) The one we have is this one...

http://www.reprapdiscount.com/113-thickbox_default/smart-lcd-controller-xxl.jpg

I found directions for hooking it up to a Ramps board, but that is a bit different than the Rumba...

After searching here, I know there are a few that have LCDs hooked up to Rumba boards, but no information on how to set it up... hmm

Is it really just a matter of enabling the LCD in the firmware, reflashing, plug in the LCD and go?
Is there anything else I need, or need to do?

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Re: How to hook up Smart LCD XXL on a Rumba?

Wow - 3 days & nearly 30 views and not a single response? sad

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Well you kind of answered your own question wink

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

did I? I honestly dont know.

I did ask a question - is it really that easy?

a simple "yeah, it is", or "no it isnt" would have been appreciated.

You said

"Is it really just a matter of enabling the LCD in the firmware, reflashing, plug in the LCD and go"

There is no reason it shouldn't be this easy but you will be the first to find out if (for you) that's the case.  You aren't going to hurt anything by trying, so take a whack at it and let us know if you run into any issues.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

You aren't going to hurt anything by trying...

Are you sure about that, ward?? LOL my track record hasnt exactly been the greatest... tongue

Seriously tho, I appreciate the encouragement, just a bit nervous about doing something wrong - again...

Failure is one of life's best teachers.

wardjr wrote:

Failure is one of life's best teachers.

it can also get costly... hmm

9 (edited by mdrVB6 2015-04-20 17:35:09)

I hate to rain on your parade, but I've got a RUMBA and I have never been able to get it to work with an LCD with the solidoodle firmware (but I have the full graphic smart controller, slightly different).  I have tried MANY combinations.  I think there is just some conflict or incomplete code that does not play well.  I got it to work on my old kossel just fine but the exact same steps on the solidoodle firmware causes it to blue screen and just not work at all.  I made a thread on this a while ago that also went unresolved.  So you would be my hero if you get it figured out!

Here is my old thread.  I never did resolve this.
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/8390/ful … -my-rumba/

Consider getting an old android tablet and downloading the gcode printr app and using that as a controller instead.  That is what I ended up doing.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

mdrVB6 wrote:

I hate to rain on your parade, but I've got a RUMBA and I have never been able to get it to work with an LCD with the solidoodle firmware (but I have the full graphic smart controller, slightly different).  I have tried MANY combinations.  I think there is just some conflict or incomplete code that does not play well.  I got it to work on my old kossel just fine but the exact same steps on the solidoodle firmware causes it to blue screen and just not work at all.  I made a thread on this a while ago that also went unresolved.  So you would be my hero if you get it figured out!

Here is my old thread.  I never did resolve this.
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/8390/ful … -my-rumba/

Consider getting an old android tablet and downloading the gcode printr app and using that as a controller instead.  That is what I ended up doing.

Thank you for posting - even if it is kinda discouraging. (btw - the link you posted didnt work for me)

The link works for me.  As I said earlier you won't hurt anything by trying.  You didn't cause the faulty USB chip in your first board so don't let that bother you.  If you are flashing your Rumba with the firmware I posted it has support for your controller.  All you should have to do is hook it up and enable it in the firmware.  If you can't get it to work right away I bet we can figure it out.

not sure what is going on, but every time I try to see it, I get a 502 error - website is offline. (this is what I got when I tried posting last night, too. apparently it did post, but I got the 502 error, so gave up and shut down)

And yeah, I am using the firmware you linked me to on it, ward, so hopefully it will work.

I am still trying to iron out a few other issues right now - getting some really odd first layer issues that are about to drive me nuts. Not really sure what the problem is, but getting some weird wrinkling on first layer solid fill - the longer the run is, the more likely it is to wrinkle up - almost like it is over-extruding, but it shouldnt be...
steps/mm have been calibrated, and recalibrated multiple times, just to be sure. final setting for steps/mm is 103.3 - gives me exactly 100mm of feed.
Flow has been calibrated, and recalibrated so many times this past weekend I have a bucket full of single wall cubes...
extruder vref is as close as I can get it (still getting moire, but I dont dare turn it down anymore or it starts skipping steps)
Did a PID tune for the temp I am running at - temp runs relatively stable - for the stock hotend...
Bed is clean and level (verified level multiple times) Bed temp stays pretty stable, too...
At first I thought maybe it was the filament itself causing the problem, but it is happening with different rolls as well (tried 3 different colors) so I dont think it is specific to one roll of filament... (we do store our filament in an airtight box with silica gel in it for moisture absorption)

for smaller stuff (say 20mm x20mm), it lays down the first layer beautifully, no wrinkles... bigger items (40 x 80mm or larger) it will start out ok, but then as the path gets longer it will start wrinkling up and making a mess of things... so bad that I end up killing the print because there is no way the next layer is going to lay down right... Sometimes I can save the print if I manually turn down the feed & flow rates in RH on the first layer then slowly increase them again over the next couple of layers.

I dunno - but until I can get this first layer problem resolved it is kind of pointless to try installing the LCD... hmm

just got fed tax refund in, maybe it is time for a couple more upgrades... thinking maybe an E3D is in order & possibly new heat bed...

a picture would help I have some ideas.

wardjr wrote:

a picture would help I have some ideas.

Will try to get some pics up for you later today, ward.

Seems my problem with viewing the linked the thread (or any thread now) has something to do with Firefox on my old XP computer... I can see everything just fine using Chrome... but FF keeps causing errors.

if it ain't one thing, it is something else... hmm

Well, I just fired up my old PC with XP and Firefox.  No problems with that link on that system either.
Hopefully that helps you in some way.

16 (edited by heartless 2015-04-22 15:30:50)

And everything seems to work ok on the "new to us" win 7 computer using FF... have been thinking about upgrading the main 'pukers to win 7 anyway - it is time...

anyway - back to 3D printing stuff...

ward - here are a couple of pics for you. orientation: right = front of printer - all three pieces started filling at top right corner (in pic)...
also included a closer view of the worst corner of the larger piece. tried very hard to save it through most of the first layer, but finally gave up.

Post's attachments

20150422_092230.jpg
20150422_092230.jpg 51.35 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

20150422_092258.jpg
20150422_092258.jpg 99.83 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

You've got a warp in your bed or it is out of level and too far away from the nozzle in that corner.  Are you using clips to hole glass on the bed?

18 (edited by heartless 2015-04-22 16:22:24)

yes, the stock aluminum bed is really warped bad... and yeah - i was using clips... but that has now changed.

I spent a couple of hours the other day building up the outer edges of the aluminum bed (low spots) with some copper foil tape I had (used for stained glass work) one layer at a time until I no longer had a wobble when it was placed faced down on the desk.

edit: oh yeah - also picked up and installed some new screws for leveling the bed. When we took it out to add something underneath to support the heat pad & insulation we found that all 3 screws were terribly bent! might be the reason I was constantly fighting with bed level?

Cut a new piece of mirror to rule out any potential issues with the old piece...

New mirror piece is now held to the aluminum bed with a couple of strips of the same copper tape in 2 opposite corners - it will tear fairly easily so there isn't a lot of force being used - just simply holding it in place.

Just finished reinstalling the whole works - time to warm it up and level... here goes nuttin... LOL
(also double checked all my screw terminals to make sure they are tight...)

19 (edited by heartless 2015-04-22 16:47:28)

oh for pity's sake - now it seems I am having issues with the Z end-stop... sad

it is reading triggered when it is NOT homed - not even close to home....

what else can go wrong???

No - wait - don't answer that! tongue

heartless wrote:

oh for pity's sake - now it seems I am having issues with the Z end-stop... sad

it is reading triggered when it is NOT homed - not even close to home....

what else can go wrong???

No - wait - don't answer that! tongue

It is disconnected (circuit open) if it is reading triggered.

actually, it seems it was stuck in the closed position - as soon as I started to loosen one of the screws, it popped open.
if I re-tighten that screw, it sticks again...so, screw is left slightly loose for now.

currently waiting on some more hardware to get here for the bed - other half is picking up some regular nuts & extra washers to hold screws still/tight to bed while adjusting the wing nuts on the bottom for level... makes it difficult to level when they just spin around... LOL

heartless wrote:

actually, it seems it was stuck in the closed position - as soon as I started to loosen one of the screws, it popped open.
if I re-tighten that screw, it sticks again...so, screw is left slightly loose for now.

currently waiting on some more hardware to get here for the bed - other half is picking up some regular nuts & extra washers to hold screws still/tight to bed while adjusting the wing nuts on the bottom for level... makes it difficult to level when they just spin around... LOL

What you mean is the switch was depressed?  On an SD endstop that means the circuit is open.  I know it sounds backwards because it is wink  when the switch is depressed this shows as triggered but that switch is N.C. (normally closed) and when it is depressed it becomes (open).  So if your switch was stuck in the depressed position it would show triggered because the circuit is open.  The same would be true if it were unplugged or a wire broke.

yeah, i meant it was depressed - sorry for the corn-fusion...LOL I forget that SD stuff is kinda backwards of what one would think.  tongue

maybe I will kill some time waiting for parts to arrive by looking at the firmware for the LCD/SD bit... wink

Bumping this to see if you ever got the display working on the RUMBA?  To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever actually got a display to work with solidoodle firmware and a RUMBA and I would love to be proved wrong?  Anyone?

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/8389/rumba-upgrade/

That's my thread with the issues I ran into, my LCD was basically just plug and play.  I've used both solidoodle and repetier firmwares with this setup.  The LCD control I really didn't like, you have to rotate the knob a ridiculous amount of times to change anything at all.  I'm using this in conjunction with a Raspberry Pi 2 and OctoPrint.  I highly recommend investing in that and still utilizing the lcd because you can upload files to the lcd card without interfering with the OS card in the Pi.  You don't even have to remove the card, it's all wirelessly done through WIFI!

Under configuration.h this line has to be defined.  I'm using the XXL LCD as well. @ line 573 in my firmware.

// The RepRapDiscount Smart Controller (white PCB)
// http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapDiscount_Smart_Controller
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER

http://i.imgur.com/wgY7Jxw.jpg

Just for reference on which direction to install the cables.

http://i.imgur.com/sbGPFZW.jpg

Bowden SD3, Rumba, E3D hotend, Mk5 with RtRyder changes, Direct drive Y axis and bearings, GT2 pulleys and braided fishing line, Lawsy linear bearing conversion, M3 Z screw.