76 (edited by jagowilson 2015-07-24 19:33:45)

Re: SD4 extruder upgrade: E3D V6

mdonci wrote:

Yes, I can. Filament comes out fine.

keep shinning that spring. it needs more tension still then.

edit: and what IronMan said below. make sure the tension arm can rotate around that screw. don't tighten it 100%

Also check the screw where the tension arm pivots and make sure that is not tightened too much which would limit it from providing full pressure to the idler.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

All right, I'll do it. I took a weekend off, will do it on Sunday. Hope it'll work

mdonci wrote:

The measured diameter is between 1.69 and 1.74 mm. Measured with a digital caliper.
I use printed printhead mount, but the upper part is the stock aluminium piece. I put small thin metal pieces under the spring, didn't help. I can pull out and in the filament between the bearing and the pulley. Both turns pretty well.

so it is undersized.

when you say you "can pull out and in" are you actually releasing the tension on the spring (squeezing it open), or are you just pushing & pulling on the filament?

If you are just pushing/pulling on the filament and it moves in/out easily, then the spring doesn't have anywhere near enough tension on it.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Just pushing and pulling the filament

mdonci wrote:

Just pushing and pulling the filament

definitely not enough tension. see, it has to pinch the filament in order to move it. the teeth of the gear need to dig in and move the filament, while the idler bearing presses the filament against the gear. it should be impossible to move by hand when tension is applied

what jagowilson said... you have got to get that spring shimmed up somehow until the teeth of the gear are digging into the filament slightly.
They should leave marks in the filament when you pull it out.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

I'm running the stock SD4 extruder with my E3Dv6 without any difficulty.

I had a spare mount for my E3D, assembled it, now my printer print ABS pretty well, but when I tried PLA, nothing came out of the printhead. Now I've just switched back to ABS, works well again. What could cause this problem?

My guess would be that there is still ABS in your head. It can be very difficult to clear completely. You need to run your PLA at ABS temperature until it is running smoothly. Even then, you may see some artifact coloring in the PLA print from the ABS for most of the print.

The reason it is not extruding is that the ABS will not flow at PLA temperatures and cause a clog. If you get that ABS out, then it will run PLA.

Solidoodle 4-Mostly stock running off headless Raspberry Pi with Octoprint

Yes, when switching from ABS to PLA, you must heat up the hotend to ABS temperature to start with.
free extrude a minimum of 50mm of filament to clear the ABS from the hotend. Once you have pure PLA color coming out of the nozzle, then turn it down to the correct temp for the PLA. I usually extrude 20-30 mms more while the temp is cooling to clear out any PLA that may be a bit overcooked so I dont end up with a clog.

I have switched back and forth many times with no problems using that method.

I did it. The printer started to print pretty well, but after ~5 hours, nothing came out of the nozzle (PLA). Will try to solve the problem tomorrow. Anyway I bought a spare nozzle, and a new roll of PLA filament.

Hello there,
New to the forum.  Been using my SD4 for just about a year now.  My stock hotend took a dump on me.  I bought the ed3 v6 since Solidoodle does not have a replacement stock hotend nor will they answer any of my support requests.  Lol.  Anyhow, the physical setup of the e3d was a piece of cake.  I am really struggling though with the flashing of my sd4.  Some of the links shown in this thread are no longer working.  I have tried to be resourceful but don't think I am having much success.  Does anyone have an updated list of the locations to download exactly what I need to be using?  Specifically I am screwed up on the firmware download.  I went to Solidoodle for it, but when working with it in Arduino I don't get the same lines to change as listed in the step by step directions.  I get errors when doing Verify/Compile.  That is essentially where I am stuck........... I hate asking dumb questions but I desperately need to get this printer back up and running as we use it in our shop for making parts for custom headlight brackets.  Thanks very much for any help someone can provide me.

Firmware https://github.com/ozadr1an/Solidoodle- … in_v1_beta
This should match up with the directions in the WIKI.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:

Thank you very much for the quick response!!  I will give this one a try and see if I can get further along.  Ha.

wardjr wrote:

http://soliforum.com/i/?XNStr8u.png

I don't see an installer or zip folder to download.....I can download individual files but I just don't know which one.  I am very sorry if this has been covered or this is an extreme noobie question.  Your assistance, again is greatly appreciated.

There should be a download zip button lower right.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

I had the same question, so dont worry, you arent the first, lol

As wardjr said, on the far right is the button to download the zip file (see pic) - save to your desktop and unzip...

http://soliforum.com/i/?Ewwx6Lx.jpg

Happy to report that I am back up and running as of 1:30 am last night and about 12 hours of fiddling around.  Lol.  Thank you to all that provided support in this endeavor.  I ended up just using the stock mounting hardware and not the mounts that I 3D printed.  I have those just in case though.  I ended up grinding down the top lip of the ed3 heatsink.  I would like to have it slide up a bit further but there isn't enough clearance to get it to do that.  Good for now. 
One thing that I wondering if it is a problem or not is that the heat sink is rather warm.  Don't know if I would say "hot" because I can touch it, but it is pretty darn warm.  The fan is tapped into the same wire as the hotend so it comes on as soon as I power up the extruder.  Should I do something different perhaps?

Yes you should do something different.  Your hot end does not receive constant 12v during operations.  Connect the fan to 12v that is always on.

Hi Guys,

Having extruder issues and just order a E3D V6. If I follow the instructions on the front page, will the extruder fix a SD2?
Anything I need to look out for?

-Skyler101

Read up on updating the Firmware for your particular board in the firmware section of the WIKI.

wardjr wrote:

Read up on updating the Firmware for your particular board in the firmware section of the WIKI.

Is this the right link to the wiki? http://wiki.solidoodle.com/

- Skyler101

wardjr wrote:

Is this the right link to the wiki? http://wiki.solidoodle.com/

- Skyler101

Nope
http://www.soliwiki.com/Updating_Solido … structions