Re: SD4 extruder upgrade: E3D V6

What happens when you try and push the filament through by hand?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

mdonci wrote:

I set my printer to 210 C, and it keeps this temperature

possibly not running hot enough? is that ABS or PLA?

I have an E3D v6 on my SD4 and generally run ABS around 235 - plus or minus a couple degrees depending on the color

Haven't run a lot of PLA through mine yet, but for what I have run, temps are usually around the 210-215 mark for that.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

It is PLA on 210 C. Today I disassembled it, and saw this.
http://soliforum.com/i/?el0xWVt.jpg
I took it out, cleaned it, after that I was unable to pull the filament through the hotend. It stuck at the threaded part of the hotend

picture is pretty fuzzy - what was the problem?

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Remove the Thermistor and heater from the block and hit it with a butane torch for a few seconds. That will soften the filament enough to pull out...for the most part.

If you want to do a full cleaning, heat it and clear it as above, then apply heat and loosen the heatbreak and nozzle from the heating block. You can use a bare straightened coat hanger for the heatbreak and block, and a guitar string for the nozzle.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Check your retraction settings with PLA.  With two different machines with the E3D v6, I had to reduce my retraction to a max of .7mm.  This does not apply to ABS, only PLA... The melted filament will harden when retracted up into the cool neck of the hotend.  This jams the neck so that even heating your hotend to 265 will not unblock the problem.

To fix this problem, disassemble the hotend and heat up the stainless steel thread that goes between the heat block and the cooling area.  This is where the jam will be.

zlagger wrote:

Check your retraction settings with PLA.  With two different machines with the E3D v6, I had to reduce my retraction to a max of .7mm.

Thanks! This solved the problem. Luckily I had a spare E3D so I just changed them. With the new settings it works fine, but needs some calibration. I'll do it next week before my exams. So glad that it works smile

That isn't a genuine E3Dv6. Buying clones is a recipe for headaches like this.

You should edit your post to note that you bought a clone.

34 (edited by knowack 2015-06-17 01:23:10)

What PID settings work best with the v6?

Autotune resulted in P38.67 I4.34 D86.17.

elmoret wrote:

How can you tell from that fuzzy picture?  I mean what stood out that helped you determine it's a clone?

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

I've paid ~$45 for each, I don't think it is a clone. Bought it from a fellow 3D printer owner

wardjr wrote:
elmoret wrote:

How can you tell from that fuzzy picture?  I mean what stood out that helped you determine it's a clone?

No slot on the heater block around the heater.

mdonci wrote:

I've paid ~$45 for each, I don't think it is a clone. Bought it from a fellow 3D printer owner

Well, that guy ripped you off.

100% a clone, I am certain. Genuine E3Dv6 has a slot in the heater block (though having the slot doesn't guarantee it is genuine).

http://e3d-online.com/image/cache/data/v6/hotend%20wired%204web-1000x1000.jpg

Good catch, elmoret.

It may still be a gen e3D, just not a V6. 

The V5 did not have a slotted heater block, and the block was not as elongated, was closer to a cube.  The pictures are fuzzy, and the OP may need to provide better photos, but from the looks of it, the heater block is similar to the V5.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Nearly finished installing my new E3dv6; heating it up to do the 'hot tightening' procedure right now.  So far so good...it heats up really fast!

The blue fan duct fits loosely on the aluminum fins, and the vibration of the running fan makes it wander left and right; what's the best way to keep it from moving around?

A small strip of felt on the inside of the duct.

elmoret wrote:

A small strip of felt on the inside of the duct.

Hadn't thought of that.  Thanks.

44 (edited by knowack 2015-06-18 20:19:57)

The new hot end is working great.  I did some test prints last night to verify Vref on the new board, and PID settings on the hot end.  The E3Dv6 heats up very quickly, and holds a rock-steady temperature. 

I mounted the E3Dv6 in the existing SD4 metal mount (as suggested in another thread), and it worked extremely well.  I didn't have to print any new parts.

I'm running a stock Solidoodle printrboard (with firmware update, of course), and a stock SD4 power supply without problem.  I had obtained a higher-amperage power supply, but my bed wouldn't heat up properly.  Troubleshooting with a DVM revealed the power supply suffered a voltage drop under load.  The stock power supply provides steady voltage with both bed and hot end at temperature.  (sometimes my electronics degree comes in handy!)

The only remaining issue is that I have to re-think my nozzle cooling fan, because the E3Dv6 heatsink fan is in the way.  I'm thinking of a unified mount/duct arrangement that will clip onto the E3Dv6 heatsink.  One 30mm fan to cool the heatsink, and another 30mm fan that's ducted to the nozzle.  I've already ordered another fan from Filastruder.

BTW Elmoret, great Filastruder site, fast shipping, great product!  Thanks!

I mounted the E3Dv6 in the existing SD4 metal mount (as suggested in another thread), and it worked extremely well.  I didn't have to print any new parts.

I would be interested in seeing pics of this, if you wouldn't mind?

I did print one of the mounts that are floating around, but modified it to use the stock aluminum spring loaded filament tensioner/release lever (had to widen the body just a little and make a depression for the spring to sit in)

heartless wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zb3nqdhl8xw368v/E3Dv6%20SD4.jpg?dl=1

I used a grinder and file to reduce the diameter of the top lip of the heatsink to match the area just below it.  Worked like a champ; I re-used all the existing parts.

awesomeness - thank you for the pic and info. smile

Hello,

Is anyone here who could show the extruder settings in Repetier? I am trying to find the best ones, but I am unable to do it. sad

mdonci wrote:

Hello,

Is anyone here who could show the extruder settings in Repetier? I am trying to find the best ones, but I am unable to do it. sad

As in EEPROM Settings?

50 (edited by TickTock 2015-06-22 02:42:09)

knowack wrote:
heartless wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zb3nqdhl8xw368v/E3Dv6%20SD4.jpg?dl=1

I used a grinder and file to reduce the diameter of the top lip of the heatsink to match the area just below it.  Worked like a champ; I re-used all the existing parts.

Looks nice.  Now, if (when actually wink) you want to add a fan, I have models that work for this setup here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:621383