Topic: E3D (V6)

i was thinking about buying 2 E3D (V6) and replace them into my new solidoodle workbench, but i can't find any documentation on anything related to subject like (the mount - the configuration - any youtube videos) that can show me how to go on with this procedure. can someone help me please ??

Re: E3D (V6)

probably wrong forum but the V6 has a standard groove mount so it should fit easy

do i need to upgrade the powersupply or any other electronics ??

Definitely wrong forum, moving this where it belongs.

You will not have to change the power supply or the electronics, You will have to update the firmware.

They are top-secret hot ends, and the manufacture of them has no website or information about them.

Don't bother to trying to do a search on "E3D"

6 (edited by grob 2015-02-19 23:38:26)

richh001 wrote:

They are top-secret hot ends, and the manufacture of them has no website or information about them.

Excuse me, but that's a little rude:

Manufacturer's website: http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6
Full documentation: http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/E3D-v6_Documentation

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

grob wrote:
richh001 wrote:

Excuse me.

Glad you said it first wink maybe sarcasm???

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I'd also hope it was sarcastic, but in an era of spam trolls there really is no way to tell any more haha!

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper

when i was asking of help about the e3d v6, i was asking abount mounting for workbench, which is dual extruder.
i need a stl file that have a mount for dual extruder, also the configuration for repetier host..

that's all i asked for, no need for sarcasm, i'm still learning

10 (edited by jagowilson 2015-02-24 04:06:35)

one doesn't exist yet. it would be awesome if you made one!

Hehe sorry navarisun, we were referring to richh001's highly incorrect post, not your question!

The workbench is still new to this community - I'm not sure there's an easy answer for this one, there's not a lot of info like this. Hopefully if you're patient someone who has done this can respond, otherwise my recommendation would be:
* Follow E3D's instructions for assembling the hotend
* Search for and use instructions from this forum for older printers (e.g. SD3) for wiring, updating the firmware (noting that your printer needs a different configuration - two hot ends etc.!
* Experiment yourself with how the E3D fits into the workbench extruder, and share your results as they'll be handy for future users

You're the pioneer! smile

12 (edited by navarisun 2015-03-05 07:02:35)

so one more question:

what is the difference between the e3d (v6) & e3d (v6) 24 volts.

from what i read the 24v needs a 24v powersupply, but will it work with the solidoodle workbench motors & fans ??

You should order the version that matches your printer's power supply output voltage.

If your printer runs on 12v, get the 12v version.
If your printer runs on 24v, get the 24v version.

so i heared that there is two vesions of e3d v6 (Normal) & (bowden) which one i should use with solidoodle workbench ?

The printer uses normal (direct) from the factory. You can get the "with bowden extras" version in case you ever want to try a bowden setup, but you don't have to if you aren't interested in that modification down the road.

navarisun wrote:

so i heared that there is two vesions of e3d v6 (Normal) & (bowden) which one i should use with solidoodle workbench ?

The biggest concern is flashing the firmware as we haven't documented the proper successful process yet.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

The biggest concern is flashing the firmware as we haven't documented the proper successful process yet.

this means that e3d v6 can't work on the workbench or what, i planned to remove the printrboard also and have rumba instead ??

If you are using a Rumba no problems.
I only mention the lack of process for the new boards for the benefit of others.  I have no doubts that we will come up with a process for the newer extruder board it just takes some time. 
If you are switching to a Rumba anyway perhaps you'd like to volunteer your board and time for some experimenting.  If your interested in helping let me know.

ofcourse i'm willing to share my experience with the Rumba board and e3d v6 on a solidoodle workbench,
and i will ask for lots of help.
once i get some results i will make a new post will all the experiences and configurations i have made.

navarisun wrote:

ofcourse i'm willing to share my experience with the Rumba board and e3d v6 on a solidoodle workbench,
and i will ask for lots of help.
once i get some results i will make a new post will all the experiences and configurations i have made.

I was referring to your extruder board.
The Rumba with dual extruders and e3d's is easy and well documented.
It would be nice to have someone with an extruderboard that doesn't mind if it gets messed up a bit while we try and develop an easy process to flash new firmware to it.

Ward: the extrudrboard does not have a microcontroller, therefore it does not have firmware to flash.

The only thing needed is knowledge of flashing a printrboard, which is well documented.

So it is a printerboard and flashing using that process has been verified to work.  Has anyone that we know actually done this successfully?  If so who.  I agree that it should be the exact same process but want verification from an actual user before I start recommending others do this.  The last thing I want is for someone to brick their board on my recommendation.  So all I am suggesting to the OP is that since he's switching to a Rumba he could run through the procedure and verify everything functions as expected.  I am mostly curious about what version of Marlin is going to be best.

SD provides WBA firmware here:

http://blog.solidoodle.com/wp-content/u … 012014.zip

A printrboard is a printrboard is a printrboard. It'll flash fine.

24 (edited by jagowilson 2015-03-07 20:04:34)

elmoret wrote:

Ward: the extrudrboard does not have a microcontroller, therefore it does not have firmware to flash.

The only thing needed is knowledge of flashing a printrboard, which is well documented.

We need the pin numbers for the thermistor, heater and motor controller, though... In the version of Marlin most of us are using they are -1 for the Printrboard's second extruder.

Pins.h in the zip file I linked wrote:

#define E1_STEP_PIN         4
#define E1_DIR_PIN          5
#define E1_ENABLE_PIN      23

#define HEATER_1_PIN       20  // "HOTBED"

C'mon, jago! You're better than this! big_smile

Steps to updating firmware to E3D:
1.) Download firmware from link above.
2.) Modify configuration.h so that both thermistor tables are table 5
3.) Compile and flash as documented elsewhere.

The beauty of open source!