1 (edited by Skyminer 2014-06-03 06:11:21)

Topic: Beware your 3D printer (They can cause fires)

They can cause fires.

Video demonstration:

Re: Beware your 3D printer (They can cause fires)

?!?! What happened??
Hope everyone is ok

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

3 (edited by Skyminer 2014-06-04 03:33:28)

Just printing away as always, then smoke detectors go off, run downstairs and the printer is a ball of flame. Everyone got out ok, but lost one pet. House is a write off.

I know that this isn't typical, but please be careful.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b634/skyminer71/House%20Fire/IMG_1259_zps950e6e59.jpg

One of my worst nightmares. My condolences.

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

So sorry to hear.  I was going to mention in another thread how I really don't trust printing when I'm not next to it.  WAY to many things can go wrong...  I feel terrible about the pet.

Bowden SD3, Rumba, E3D hotend, Mk5 with RtRyder changes, Direct drive Y axis and bearings, GT2 pulleys and braided fishing line, Lawsy linear bearing conversion, M3 Z screw.

Wow.... Never thought it would ever occur.

Ulitmaker 2, a few repraps, Custom Big FFF 3D printer with heated chamber.

My Blog http://ggalisky.weebly.com/
My Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXShYo … aDUpebDAOw

looking at my printer now I don't know what could have went on it to cause such a huge fire.. do you have any idea? That's awful..

Absolutely no idea how the printer started it, but is was definitely the printer (or power supply).  If you can put a smoke detector in the same room as the printer it might give you early warning, but with all that plastic, it's amazing how quickly everything went up.

When you upgraded to the E3D, did you upgrade the PSU?
Did you have an enclosure? While I was printing in between cases, I noticed how many carpets I could weave with the fur I saw inside my printer.

I have 2 smoke detectors near the printer, furthest is 7 paces away and I keep fans on anything that could get hot (board, PSU, all motors) and I am still paranoid about leaving it.

Skyminer wrote:

Absolutely no idea how the printer started it, but is was definitely the printer (or power supply).  If you can put a smoke detector in the same room as the printer it might give you early warning, but with all that plastic, it's amazing how quickly everything went up.

Can you list all the mods that were done to your printer?

Just a theory:

If the thermistor broke away from the hot end could the temps on the E3D get high enough to melt and then ignite the fan shroud?

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

I've had the heater cartridge slip out before, and found it glowing red hot, though it wasn't touching anything.  A thermistor coming free would do the same thing, and I don't know if there is failsafe code for that.  I think it would be simple, if it is giving full power to the hotend for a few seconds and the temperature doesn't change  it should shut down.

I also had a power supply start sparking and sizzling for no reason, so that is a possible source.  Also the terminal block where the power cable screws in melted on my Sanguinololu one time.  One of the wires pulled partway out, and since there wasn't a very good connection resistance went up, causing excess heat.  I don't know if that would have started a fire on its own.

A firmware thing to shut down if the temperature doesn't change for a while does sound like a good idea, actually..  I wonder how hard that would be to implement.

Its been discussed:

https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin/issues/258
http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?267,296458

I thought I read somewhere that some code had been tested for this feature, but I can't dig it up.

Found it:

/** \def HEATER_SANITY_CHECK 
check if heater responds to changes in target temperature, disable and spit errors if not 
largely untested, please comment in forum if this works, or doesn't work for you! 
*/ 
// #define HEATER_SANITY_CHECK 

This is a real shame. I'm so sorry to hear this. I've already said most of this on G+ but I'll repeat here.

The firmware will shut down if the thermistor drops below a given temperature, the real worry it the thermistor sitting just away from the heat block, with Kapton securing it that's a real possibility.

I've seen one scourched printer, luckily fire didn't get far, but wood printers make me nervous for this reason (mines all aluminium). Even the plastic parts can light really easily, just take a lighter to the end of some filament to see!

I've melted an e3d - what happens when the thermistor goes wrong is the heat block melts and the Nozzle drops out (with molten metal on it) the print will continue with a molten heat block until it ends. The heatsink and fan do such a good job you can even re use the heat break when you get a new heat block and nozzle.

I expect this issue (loose thermistor) is mitigated more on the e3d v6. But this sounds more like an electrics or power supply issue.

ITman496 wrote:

A firmware thing to shut down if the temperature doesn't change for a while does sound like a good idea, actually..  I wonder how hard that would be to implement.

Wow...so am I to understand that on a stock SD, there are no safeguards against the nozzle overheating if the either the thermocouple or the thermistor slide out?

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

IronMan wrote:
ITman496 wrote:

Wow...so am I to understand that on a stock SD, there are no safeguards against the nozzle overheating if the either the thermocouple or the thermistor slide out?

That is correct, except that there is no thermocouple on a Solidoodle.

My bad on the terminology...my new version is: "so there's the thing that heats up, and there's the thing that senses the heat..." :-)

So these get separated during a print, there are potentially big problems...or, what if the thing that senses temp just fails altogether?

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Yes, if the thermistor pulls away from the nozzle, there is no protection against the heater being commanded full on.

If the sensor fails completely, mintemp or maxtemp will be triggered depending on whether it fails open or short.

IronMan wrote:
ITman496 wrote:

You could probably sue the company (SD) if a fire occurred...

all the more reason for someone to come up with a software fix...

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

To be fair I assume (haven't checked) that somewhere in the user agreement for the solidoodle it covers them against accidents like that.

One idea might be a thermal fuse located on the outside of the heater block that would act at a temp below the melting of the block but high enough above the normal upper end of the E3D that it could not trip by accident, would be easy to install... but just like the thermistor if it lost contact with the block it would be useless until after meltdown and ignition... so maybe another bore hole in the E3D to accommodate the fuse with a locking screw?

I'm not aware of a thermal fuse with a trip point higher than 240C.

You can take your pick of "why not this safety feature?", but the right answer is to never leave it unattended. Would you leave your house with your stove boiling cooking oil? Of course not. Would you go to the other room? Maybe, with a smoke detector in the kitchen.

Why is a 3D printer different?

elmoret wrote:

I'm not aware of a thermal fuse with a trip point higher than 240C.

You can take your pick of "why not this safety feature?", but the right answer is to never leave it unattended. Would you leave your house with your stove boiling cooking oil? Of course not. Would you go to the other room? Maybe, with a smoke detector in the kitchen.

Why is a 3D printer different?

I'm sorry if this comes off a little sharp, but I'm still a bit bitter about losing my house.

Why is a 3D printer different?  Because a 3D printer can take many hours, even in excess of a day, to complete a print.  I'd hazard a guess that there are VERY few people using a printer that have not left it running while asleep, or while they were out.

If the truly are not meant to run unattended like your boiling pot of oil example, then I think EVERYONE needs to be aware of this and all manufacturers need to ensure that it is communicated to their clients.  If I thought for a moment that using a 3D printer was of such danger, you can bet I would have saved my family a whole lot of devestation by choosing a new hobby.

I thought the firmware had a redundant thermistor code for adding a second one for basically this purpose?

I'm one of those people that never leave it unattended.  For one im still tweaking it so I can easily get a failure if I'm not careful.  I've printed a few 5 hour long prints from another room while watching a movie, but I ran in often to check it.

The only way I would feel remotely safe would be if I had a go pro on it with video and temperature readings sent to my phone at work. That along with an emergency stop feature in the app on my phone.

This is dangerous news for the community.  It effects more than skyminer in the big scheme of things.  The fact that suing solidoodle was brought up makes me cringe.  It just seems like a terrible system we have here in America...

People are still wary of the idea of 3d printing.  All in all though, I'm glad you were able to get your family to safety.  There are all kinds of dangerous hobbies out there.  All of which had risks unknown.  I would hope you wouldn't let it scare you, and actually turn this around.

There are companies trying to print houses. I would surely throw a few dollars towards getting you a 3d printed house.

Bowden SD3, Rumba, E3D hotend, Mk5 with RtRyder changes, Direct drive Y axis and bearings, GT2 pulleys and braided fishing line, Lawsy linear bearing conversion, M3 Z screw.

I want to make it very clear that from my perspective, this conversation is not specifically about Solidoodle; it is about the potential dangers of the technology.  My intent is not to point fingers, but simply raise awareness.  I've experienced first hand just how quickly a print can go from OK to terribly bad.  My son was sitting 20ft away with only a closed door between him and the fire, and he didn't smell anything until the smoke detector went off.  In was in the workshop 10 seconds later, and it was just an inferno.