Topic: Filastruder/Winder *IR Thermal Imagery* -MicroLoop/High Temp/Speed Ver

Hi Everyone,

To assist other filastruder users, we trialled some new ideas and prototypes over the past year and checked the results with thermal imaging cameras for stability.

The result is this Ultra short loop (6cm) High Temperature  (235°C) High Speed (5mm/s) Filastruder and Filawinder Mod.

Concept / Benefits / Problems solved:

- Improved Filawinder start/priming: Previously it took ~10 to 20 minutes to wait for the 60cm-80cm long loop to form and trim for the Filawinder. With this mod now you only need a tiny 6cm loop, so it's faster to get up and running.

- Auto Straightening, No clogs, jams, hard zigzag 'ramen' issues: The high temperature and short distance means clogs or zig zag kinks don't form. The filament remains soft and always in a natural sagging loop as it passes through the Filawinder Sensors, even as it enters the PTFE tube where any kinks "self-straighten out" automatically. The filament only hardens inside the Straight tube, so it is therefore always Straight on exit of the PTFE tube on the Filawinder. The filament is therefore perfectly usable from the very start and no trimming is needed.

- Very fast: PA747 pellets extrude smooth 3mm filament at a rate of 4 ~ 5mm a second at 235°C heater temperature (225°C Nozzle).
-----------------

This is the Thermal Imaging, Infrared Heat Map.
It confirms the components of this filasturder and filawinder modification are all stable and within normal operating limits, even in summer, here in the Australian Desert.

http://ri.si/images/RISI-FilastruderWinderHighTempShortLoopMod-Thermal.jpg

Here are the Basic stable starting instructions and Layout for the shortloop system

http://ri.si/images/RISI-FilastruderWinderHighTempShortLoopMod-PrimeProcess.jpg

Here are some Further Modifications we did to improve performance and stability

- Critical: Horizontal Anti-split support bar on Filastruder
- Critical: Electrostatic protection for filawinder PCB (triboelectric effect of ABS/PTFE tube interaction)
- Critical: Exhaust Chimney and suction via garden hoses.
- Trip / Jam / insect clog sensor / Wireless alarm
- Filawinder PTFE tube changed to 6mm ID, 8mm OD
- PTFE washer added for guide bar on filawinder
- Uninterruptable power supply
- filament-spool connection on filawinder; just drill a hole, filament wedges in place. Tape not needed.
- Softdrink bottle adapter for hopper + Screws for easy removal
(some of the above were mentioned before on the forum, so i'm not taking credit for those, this is just a trial of those ideas)
(pictures below)

http://ri.si/images/RISI-FilastruderWinderHighTempShortLoopMod-10.jpg
http://ri.si/images/RISI-FilastruderWinderHighTempShortLoopMod-9.jpg
http://ri.si/images/RISI-FilastruderWinderHighTempShortLoopMod-8.jpg
http://ri.si/images/RISI-FilastruderWinderHighTempShortLoopMod-7.jpg
http://ri.si/images/RISI-FilastruderWinderHighTempShortLoopMod-6.jpg
http://ri.si/images/RISI-FilastruderWinderHighTempShortLoopMod-5.jpg
http://ri.si/images/RISI-FilastruderWinderHighTempShortLoopMod-4.jpg
http://ri.si/images/RISI-FilastruderWinderHighTempShortLoopMod-3.jpg
http://ri.si/images/RISI-FilastruderWinderHighTempShortLoopMod-2.jpg
http://ri.si/images/RISI-FilastruderWinderHighTempShortLoopMod-1.jpg

We hope our tests are interesting and helps someone here.

Ps. We also have PA747 and MG94 for sale here in Australia at wholesale prices if anyone here in the southern hemisphere needs some (see the forum's polymer supplier thread)

Happy Extruding  smile

Regards,
-Terry, c/o Real imaging systems international

Re: Filastruder/Winder *IR Thermal Imagery* -MicroLoop/High Temp/Speed Ver

The biggest challenge I've had with a short loop and keeping the sensor right by the nozzle is twisting.  Without some weight on the loop, the filament would sometimes go sideways instead of down.  The melt filter seems to be helping with this and I've pushed the winder closer, but I haven't tried it right on the nozzle again yet.

The other problem was that when I was trying the sensor at the nozzle, the winder was further away.  That created a very shallow angle to the loop which meant too much of the winder's pull was directed into the nozzle, stretching the filament and ruining tolerance.  Also the cooled filament was more likely to support the melted filament in a short loop so it wouldn't drop.  You've kept a sharper bend in the loop so it still won't stretch at the nozzle as much.  Setting the extruder completely vertical is still ideal to completely isolate the nozzle from the winder's pull, but you can usually get away with 45 degrees.

As you say, it hinges on keeping the filament melted longer, but whenever I go above 220 with MG95, I get gray filament.   The gray tends to hang in there and has to be purged as if there had been masterbatch.  Have you seen this effect when extruding at such a high temperature?  Also did you need to resize the nozzle to hit your target diameter at that higher flow?  The higher speeds you get from higher temps is nice, but the barrier for me has been discolored filament and needing a larger nozzle to compensate for the reduced die swell.

Also do you think printing a pcb enclosure from conductive ABS would protect it from the static buildup at the spool?

He's measuring heater temp, not nozzle. That nozzle temp is an estimate.

The "anti-split bar" is not a great choice. That would transfer thrust to the motor, for which it is not rated. If you are experiencing the supports being pushed apart, that means it was assembled with the supports too close together. The included thrust bearing is designed to carry the thrust load.

So going hotter gives more extrusion rate allowing for small loop or you spin the motor fast too ?

Thank you for the amount of work put into this! Did you also measure the width fluctuation with this new short loop?

How long did you run it in this short loop setup when measuring the temperatures? Because with the filament entering at 132C the tube might warm up rather fast and the filaments temperature might drop less at longer runs as the tube starts to warm up?

6 (edited by RISI 2015-02-08 03:42:38)

IanJohnson wrote:

The other problem was that when I was trying the sensor at the nozzle, the winder was further away.  That created a very shallow angle to the loop

YES! We figured out the Trick / Solution was to start a bit further away (13cm) during the 'loading/prime phase' and THEN move it closer to it's current super close (4cm) 90 degree incline position once you can pull on the filament from the other size, (see instructions diagram earlier).   - This trick makes this setup possible and it works so well now!

IanJohnson wrote:

whenever I go above 220 with MG95, I get gray filament.   The gray tends to hang in there and has to be purged as if there had been masterbatch.  Have you seen this effect when extruding at such a high temperature?Also do you think printing a pcb enclosure from conductive ABS would protect it from the static buildup at the spool?

YES we had this very same problem! We Discovered it was due to:
1) Masterbatch residue/grafitti ; Masterbatch acts like Crayon / chalk and the masterbatch/ABS soot coats the walls inside the shaft. creating a layer that doesn't flush and affects extrusion speed.

If you take a masterbatch pellet, you'll notice it's like pencil or crayon. you can draw on walls with it like a pencil....
And That's what happened inside the shaft for us, this thin layer. Signficantly slows extrusion at high temp. sometimes filament won't even extrude at all.

2) Horizontal filastruder. (no gravity to help move the pellets to the nozzle. due to masterbatch grafitti contamination on walls

The Confirmed solution was to put the filastruder on a 45 degree incline and remove the metal shaft and auger and put them under a blowtorch and BURN away all the masterbatch and plastic till it was red hot and completely brand new, then let it cool. Fire cleaning WILL solve the problem. You cannot just flush masterbatch Grafitti with ABS, it's not enough to remove the oxidized (Super hardened ABS soot) There will be residue buildup and immense wastage for the flush. We spent 4 days and 2KG Of wasted ABS flush figuring it out the hard way. Do not make this same mistake You really MUST use fire/blowtorch to clean it out, and it will become as good as new- I vouch for this method 100%.

After that, it flows sooo smoothly at any temperature from 180 to 255°C.
We don't use masterbatch now. (we use CMYK+W pre-coloured pellets and mix them... so easy now to get perfect smooth colour.)

IanJohnson wrote:

The biggest challenge I've had with a short loop and keeping the sensor right by the nozzle is twisting.

Yes we had that issue too a few months ago with Masterbatch. We solved it by moving the sensor within 1cm from the nozzle and boosting the temperature to the manufacturer recommended extrusion temp so it stays soft enough for gravity to keep it down, so the twisting left and right doesn't affect the sensor as much as long as it moves down. We fire cleaned the die and shaft and don't use masterbatch anymore so we don’t have this issue.

We discovered something FAR better than masterbatch
We buy CMYK + white "precoloured pellets" and mix them like printer ink. It's soooo even and smooth now. We will never use masterbatch ever again! masterbatch is too tricky, jams and the ratio is too small for even mixing in the filastruder.

CFTechno wrote:

Thank you for the amount of work put into this! Did you also measure the width fluctuation with this new short loop? How long did you run it in this short loop setup when measuring the temperatures? Because with the filament entering at 132C the tube might warm up rather fast and the filaments temperature might drop less at longer runs as the tube starts to warm up?

Thanks, happy to help. We measured the temps after 6 hours. We've been running this mod for 4 months now perfectly.

Re: Widths
There is no width fluctuation for us, but there is die swell expansion, The thing is, we use so many polymers with different swells, we decided to just use CURA for the .gCode generation, so every time we change the spool, we just update the filament width into the software settings. Takes 3 seconds and we're done.
Permanently solved all swelling and width issues, forever....

Reason: We find it smarter to change software settings in '3 seconds' to suit the filament, than spend hours getting exactly 3mm on the filament. This is because we extrude EVA, ABS, PC, PCABS , all with different swell and expansion rates. So there's no point trying to get exactly 3mm (at least not for us anyway)
An analogy would be like "shoe sizes". Easier to accommodate shoes of different sizes than force everyone's feet into one size.

tonycstech wrote:

So going hotter gives more extrusion rate allowing for small loop or you spin the motor fast too ?

Hotter means the filament loop stays soft and sags, so this sagging triggers the filawinder sensor easily without problems. (previously the hard filament would just hang there without dropping enough to trigger the sensor.

The key is to keep the filament hot and soft so it can 'droop' and trigger the filawinder sensor. Cold  / Hard loops often lock in place due to ambient temperature changes and don't move at all so the sensor sometimes doesn't pickup and it clogs and jams at the extruder. Hence the benefit of this mod is more suited for filawinder users who have all but given up.

elmoret wrote:

The "anti-split bar" is not a great choice. That would transfer thrust to the motor

Thanks for the tip ! Yes I agree, there's little force on the motor with the central bearings, but the other issue was gravity since we're using it at a 45 / 90 degree incline, the lone centre wood block has to support the entire heavy setup and heavy hopper+ shaft+auger  on it's own at an odd breakneck angle. That's the other reason it separated. Also the centre bearings aren't reliable for us due to the constant expansion and contraction from heating cycles and it gets loose and slides often, once again putting pressure on the motor.. Ours got damaged during a cold extrusion and it's been modified and disassembled multiple times. So like an Old pensioner, ours needs a walking stick, so to speak so it doesn't break its back.

Hope this helps.
Not long till the filastruder/winder is perfected! smile

RISI wrote:

Re: Widths
There is no width fluctuation for us, but there is die swell expansion,

Zero? What's the typical +/- tolerance for each of the materials you run?

RISI wrote:

EVA

This is a first as far as I know. Super awesome. Details?

elmoret wrote:

ABS Fluctuation is less than 0.25mm on PA747, temperature dependant. it doesn't matter to us as it just melts in the 3D printer nozzle and averages out.

The PolycarbonateABS (PCABS) Die swell is Really Really Bad at 245°C (usable temp)
Swells from 3mm diameter(7.065mm^2 circular area) to about 3.8mm diameter (11.3354mm^2 circular area)
or about 160.4% .. it's ridiculous..

To Extrude PCABS at 3mm, we had to switch to a 2.3mm nozzle (we bought the extra brass die from you earlier for this)

elmoret wrote:

EVA
This is a first as far as I know. Super awesome. Details?

EVA =  performs like hot glue gun sticks.
We have several bags of it made in korea by LG. (as shown here with our PA747/MG94 : http://www.soliforum.com/topic/4195/pol … rs/page/3/

We did a short extrusion with the filastruder to try and flush out contaminants from faulty masterbatch
before we 'Fire cleaned' it. EVA does extrude, but since the results were on a damaged filastruder shaft,  I don't know how it would work on an un-damaged' filastruder, it'll probably work better, but i have no info yet.
(Our lab uses it for injection molding on a different industrial extruder into molds so we don't have spare Eva to sell at the moment)

9 (edited by CFTechno 2015-02-09 11:25:57)

RISI wrote:
elmoret wrote:

ABS Fluctuation is less than 0.25mm on PA747, temperature dependant. it doesn't matter to us as it just melts in the 3D printer nozzle and averages out.

Width my limited knowledge it was my understanding that it doesn't "average out" and will cause banding on the print which will be very visible(!) on the perimeter of the print and also cause interlayer bonding issues (thus weaker parts). This because the printer assumes a specific volume of plastic based on the filament width and 0.25mm (is that +/-?) will cause the volume for a 2.8mm filament to fluctuate around +/- ~19% (if my math is correct)

Good example of the consequences can be found there (in the image) : http://www.soliforum.com/post/82806/#p82806

Hi Techno, thanks for the tip

I should have quoted a max percentage instead because a % reading would be more accurate for you., sorry about that.

0.25mm shfits on 1.75mm filament would be quite a diaster indeed!

We use thick 3 to 3.5mm  filament, so the tolerance shifts don't affect print quality at all for us.  0.25mm is only the maximum appears at startup but after that it is very even.  we use a printer similar to the ultimaker 2. Different for other printers i think. The ultimaker 3mm type seems to pre-melt abs in the PTFE tube and nozzle before being exturded, creating a small 4mm x 5mm reservoir of molten ABS, so there's a sort of pressure reservoir there that even things out.
(i'm looking at our prints, we haven't seen any banding on our prints.)
Cheers

11 (edited by CFTechno 2015-02-09 17:03:25)

RISI wrote:

We use thick 3 to 3.5mm  filament, so the tolerance shifts don't affect print quality at all for us.  0.25mm is only the maximum appears at startup but after that it is very even.  we use a printer similar to the ultimaker 2. Different for other printers i think. The ultimaker 3mm type seems to pre-melt abs in the PTFE tube and nozzle before being exturded, creating a small 4mm x 5mm reservoir of molten ABS, so there's a sort of pressure reservoir there that even things out.
(i'm looking at our prints, we haven't seen any banding on our prints.)
Cheers

Again as far as I know the filament should not melt in the Teflon tube, if it would then it would expand and the pressure from the feeding mechanism would make the filament expand even more, form a blob making it impossible to continue extruding. The Teflon tube is normally only located in the cold zone... well that's what I have read an how I understand it  :-)

My self-made extruder is currently within +/- 0.15 (2.8mm filament) and is clearly shows @ 0,1mm layer. I'm trying to reach 0,05 just like the pro-filament.

[PS] A 3.5mm filament would normally block most hotends because as far is I know most hotends have a max feeding channel of around 3.2? And also the Bowden PFTE tube ID is around 3.18?

A big part of the reason he's seeing such large variance is the fact that he's extruding so hot. This improves the flowrate at the expense of filament diameter tolerance. If that works for him, great!

The other reason is that he's running such a short distance between the winder and the extruder. With a conventional setup at conventional temperatures, +/-0.05mm is no problem.

13 (edited by CFTechno 2015-02-09 17:04:47)

elmoret wrote:

A big part of the reason he's seeing such large variance is the fact that he's extruding so hot. This improves the flowrate at the expense of filament diameter tolerance. If that works for him, great!

Do you happen to know if increasing extruder speed will help in getting better\improved variance?  Even at 175C I could not get it to improve (+/-0.14mm) and start hitting the stall moment of the motor when trying to extruder any faster. Currently thinking that cooling plays a major part in it as well.

Increasing extruder speed will worsen filament tolerances, as a general rule.

It's hard to give you specific advice since you're not using a Filastruder.

Is higher temperature a requirement for this MicroLoop modification to work?

I'm really interested in this idea, but those terrible tolerances would probably not work with my hotend. It would probably be even worse if I were to give the filament to friends.

We discovered something FAR better than masterbatch
We buy CMYK + white "precoloured pellets" and mix them like printer ink. It's soooo even and smooth now. We will never use masterbatch ever again! masterbatch is too tricky, jams and the ratio is too small for even mixing in the filastruder.

So this is pre-colored compound?- Everything has color, no virgin material in your pellet mix?  What is the source of that?

THX

http://colorfabb.com/pre-colored-pla-pha-pellets-pack

$21/kg. Plus shipping. Yikes.

milehigh3dII-------Do you have a link/source for your colorant?

Thanks

richh001 wrote:

milehigh3dII-------Do you have a link/source for your colorant?

Thanks

I was hoping that RISI would tell us if it is compound, and where they got it.