Re: [UPGRADE]: Vibration Dampeners - Loud printer? Here's a solution!

browning54213 wrote:

I print a lot faster than that alot of the time. You can here how loud it gets on the rapid movements in the video that is how loud mine was pretty much all the time...

Mine is set at 40 and that is really the max reliable speed I feel I can trust the Da Vinci at.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:
browning54213 wrote:

I print a lot faster than that alot of the time. You can here how loud it gets on the rapid movements in the video that is how loud mine was pretty much all the time...

Mine is set at 40 and that is really the max reliable speed I feel I can trust the Da Vinci at.

50-70mm/s is what I have been running at for hard materials and 20mm/s  for ninjaflex

Mine did a nice riff from Rush's 2112 album a few weeks ago.

Win 8.1
Improved Da Vinci 1.0 with Firmware 1.2.5 and stock extruder
Arduino cartridge resetter and after-market ABS filament
TinkerCAD, Netfabb, Simplify3D

yeah, I'm with Browning.  I'm running an E3D head with a new carriage and a bowden Extruder.  I have my machine running like a bat out of hell most of the time with print speeds in the 60 - 80 mm/s.  It definately gets a bit nosier at higher speeds.

Typically, I run infill and internal permeters around the 70 mm/s range and have the exterior perimeter slowed down to 40-ish.  Overall I get pretty good surface finish, especially for .3mm layer thickness.

I'm printing your extruder to give NinjaFlex a shot.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Thanks, and I am sure some will appreciate it. This could be just a band aid for a real problem however.

Just a note, your steppers should run relative smooth to where they just make a relaxing hum or buzz. If they are doing different then you may have one or more bad stepper drivers on your mainboard. If your board has the stepper drivers in  sockets like mine and earlier models it might be worth it to swap the X, Y ,and Z stepper drivers for the Extruder driver while running a print each time. Then you could figure out which one it is and get a new driver on ebay. You can get them for about 5 bucks each. You just need to confirm the pinouts are the same as they are marked on the driver. There are a few different flavors out there but most are standard of two types.

Could you please elaborate on what the bad drivers are doing or not doing. What here is causing the noise.
Is it stuff like insufficient ramping.

31 (edited by pricecg44 2015-02-09 21:10:35)

looking for background info.
http://ebldc.com/?p=187   

any hackers out there ready to tinker?  My musical machine IS annoying when I'm working on serious and hard code debugging.

http://ebldc.com/?p=159 perhaps we need to put in some TBLANKING  signal filtering in the stepper wave form.

pricecg44 wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Thanks, and I am sure some will appreciate it. This could be just a band aid for a real problem however.

Just a note, your steppers should run relative smooth to where they just make a relaxing hum or buzz. If they are doing different then you may have one or more bad stepper drivers on your mainboard. If your board has the stepper drivers in  sockets like mine and earlier models it might be worth it to swap the X, Y ,and Z stepper drivers for the Extruder driver while running a print each time. Then you could figure out which one it is and get a new driver on ebay. You can get them for about 5 bucks each. You just need to confirm the pinouts are the same as they are marked on the driver. There are a few different flavors out there but most are standard of two types.

Could you please elaborate on what the bad drivers are doing or not doing. What here is causing the noise.
Is it stuff like insufficient ramping.

They can supply insuffecient current to one or more phases which would cause a chattering but the motor may still run. It could be over driving one or more phases again causing vibration or chattering since the phases are not firing equally. Then again the drivers vould be fine, and the motor could be bad with a weak or damaged phase.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

DrunkRabbit wrote:

I'm printing your extruder to give NinjaFlex a shot.

I am almost ready to release a new version right now if you want to hold of for a bit. I was a little quick to release 2.0 and am making the appropriate revisions to 2.1 right now. As soon as I get it off the printer and installed to check clearances I will upload the new version.

On another note if this version works and I want to continue to roll out this design do you think I should make a post over here about it too?

So I guess I should have waited?

Win 8.1

PseudoShooter wrote:

So I guess I should have waited?

Yeah, but if you want to give that one a try you can. I am using it right now and it works. The new one is just a little easier to load and the geometries are a little better.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing now ha ha. I was talking about the Ninja flex dampeners I just bought big_smile

Win 8.1

PseudoShooter wrote:

I don't think we're talking about the same thing now ha ha. I was talking about the Ninja flex dampeners I just bought big_smile

oh shoot lol no haha those are the same wink and i mailed them today!

Awesome, thanks!

Win 8.1

If anyone who bought the kit from me wants to post up a review of it I would appreciate it!

Will be making an install guide this weekend.

Awesome! I look forward to seeing it...

Win 8.1

Just got round to installing these and what can I say the difference is un-believable I would recommend people to install these they make it run so much quieter

Cheers mate for sorting out shipping to me in the UK top man

L.woinson95 wrote:

Just got round to installing these and what can I say the difference is unbelievable I would recommend people to install these they make it run so much quieter

Cheers mate for sorting out shipping to me in the UK top man

Good to hear! Thank you for the review sir!

Just relisted these and the new links are posted bellow, now will SHIP INTERNATIONALLY!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251874253294?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251874252546?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I am going on spring break so tomorrow I will get the orders I have now shipped and take the listings down. When I get back then I will relist them.

46 (edited by browning54213 2015-03-21 15:40:23)

Im back in town here are the links for the ebay listings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251887742808

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251887742933

I am all caught up now after spring break set me behind. But if you want them I have 6 sets ready to go!

I installed three of the four dampeners yesterday while swapping out my bearing mounts.

I'm running my first print now and I must say that I'm pretty impressed. They make quite a difference, especially when your extruder is doing the zig-zag infill movement.

They are worth the effort of installing them for sure.

Win 8.1

PseudoShooter wrote:

I installed three of the four dampeners yesterday while swapping out my bearing mounts.

I'm running my first print now and I must say that I'm pretty impressed. They make quite a difference, especially when your extruder is doing the zig-zag infill movement.

They are worth the effort of installing them for sure.

I will start that write up today too so you can get that last one installed. Thank you for the review!

50 (edited by PseudoShooter 2015-04-14 17:54:44)

I think I may have the Z-Axis stepper removal figured out;

1. Jog the bed up to near top height and power off the machine.

2. Prop up the bed so it doesn't drop down. I used a paper towel tube.

3. Loosen the four hex nut set screws in the linking collar at the bottom of the threaded shaft. (They're really small, place in a safe spot.)

4. Hand-turn the shaft high enough to give some clearance to the top of the stepper.

5. Remove the stepper and separate from the mount.

6. Install the dampener and reinstall the stepper.

7. Hand-turn the shaft back down and align with the top of the stepper motor shaft.

8. Replace the linking collar, replace and retighten the hex nut set screws. Remove the item holding the bed up to height.

9. Test the bed for free movement by jogging down.

10. Power on and calibrate.

How's that look?

Edit: ...and this is exactly how I did it today big_smile

Win 8.1