Topic: Off topic Discussion on E3D

Why doesn't Filastruder just buy every printer available and design mounts for upgrades? Be a great tax write off anyways.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Re: Off topic Discussion on E3D

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Why doesn't Filastruder just buy every printer available and design mounts for upgrades? Be a great tax write off anyways.

And then sell them to nice guys like us for a discount.  It could be your new R&D department wink

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

And then sell them to nice guys like us for a discount.  It could be your new R&D department wink

This! +1

Filastruder

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Short answer:
As I've explained previously, time.

Long answer:

Option 1: I do it all.

Lets say there are 10 printers we want to cover. This isn't actually that many:

SD2/3/4
SD Press
SD Workbench
Printrbot Metal
Printbot Simple
Printrbot Plus
Prusa i3
Mendel90
Lulzbot TAZ4
Rostock MAX v2

There are still a LOT of printers left out, but we'll roll with it for the sake of argument. The only printer I am familiar with is the first one. For a printer I'm unfamiliar with, I'd expect 3 full days of time spent: designing/reverse engineering, printing/mounting/firmware updates, testing/documentation.

So that's 240 hours of work. Now I also do consulting work, so I'd have to give that up for a while. My consulting work starts at $50/hour, so that would be a minimum of $12k of consulting income lost, plus depreciation value of the printers (~$10k if given away, $5k if sold). If the printers are given away or sold, additional shipping expenses are incurred, and who is at fault if the printer is damaged in shipment?

Option 2:

Give away free parts/store credit.

This takes much less than 3 days, since the end user is already very familiar with the printer at hand - and how to speak to/document for its users. If a new hotend came out, I could probably design and document a mount for it in a day for my SD3. Clearly this model works, as MacGyverX has already ended up with a free hotend as a result. Lets say everyone gets a free hotend as a result of their work. This costs me less than $80/ea, times 10.

So to recap:
Option 1 costs $17,000 - $22,000.
Option 2 costs $800.

Which one is better?

elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

Short answer:
As I've explained previously, time.

Long answer:

Option 1: I do it all.

Lets say there are 10 printers we want to cover. This isn't actually that many:

SD2/3/4
SD Press
SD Workbench
Printrbot Metal
Printbot Simple
Printrbot Plus
Prusa i3
Mendel90
Lulzbot TAZ4
Rostock MAX v2

There are still a LOT of printers left out, but we'll roll with it for the sake of argument. The only printer I am familiar with is the first one. For a printer I'm unfamiliar with, I'd expect 3 full days of time spent: designing/reverse engineering, printing/mounting/firmware updates, testing/documentation.

So that's 240 hours of work. Now I also do consulting work, so I'd have to give that up for a while. My consulting work starts at $50/hour, so that would be a minimum of $12k of consulting income lost, plus depreciation value of the printers (~$10k if given away, $5k if sold). If the printers are given away or sold, additional shipping expenses are incurred, and who is at fault if the printer is damaged in shipment?

Option 2:

Give away free parts/store credit.

This takes much less than 3 days, since the end user is already very familiar with the printer at hand - and how to speak to/document for its users. If a new hotend came out, I could probably design and document a mount for it in a day for my SD3. Clearly this model works, as MacGyverX has already ended up with a free hotend as a result. Lets say everyone gets a free hotend as a result of their work. This costs me less than $80/ea, times 10.

So to recap:
Option 2 costs $800.

Which one is better?

The real question is... Better for whom?  I prefer option 1 tongue

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

6 (edited by n2ri 2015-02-05 03:19:54)

lol, why should Tim invest more into products he distributes than Sam does in the printers he manufactures? geez cut him some slack guys ;^P

maybe if those other printer manufactures want the best new features on their printer mods they can send him a free test model with specs etc. but SD didnt so...

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

So to recap:
Option 2 costs $800.

Which one is better?

Option 1 every single time because it puts you in control. Executed and leveraged properly you recover the costs in very little time.

You/E3D make money on people upgrading their printers (this is your business). Making this process as easy and seamless as possible makes consumers comfortable with pulling the trigger on upgrades. Relying on the 3D printer community has its purpose but if E3D wants to crush the competition they would understand the value of Option 1.

Filastruder

Option #2 because you have far less investment and end up with the files so you can tweak them as needed. Your development time and investment is significantly reduced and the hardest part of the design work(typically) is done. Smart business sense in this world uses the open source market to share information and designs to improve the community overall. The only problem with #2 is not getting the end result in a timely manner. If you ship out the hot end and never receive the mount design, you lose.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

Gordym wrote:

Smart business sense in this world uses the open source market to share information and designs to improve the community overall.

Smart businesses control their IP and maximize shareholder profits.

3D printing example...MakerBot

Filastruder

DePartedPrinter wrote:
Gordym wrote:

Smart business sense in this world uses the open source market to share information and designs to improve the community overall.

Haha, have you read the news lately man? SSYS is down 30% as a result of Makerbot losses:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgra … -guidance/

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Option 1 every single time because it puts you in control. Executed and leveraged properly you recover the costs in very little time.

You/E3D make money on people upgrading their printers (this is your business). Making this process as easy and seamless as possible makes consumers comfortable with pulling the trigger on upgrades. Relying on the 3D printer community has its purpose but if E3D wants to crush the competition they would understand the value of Option 1.

Why do I need to be in control?

All of the printers I listed (with the exception of the Workbench) have working E3Dv6 mounts, provided by the community, generally by folks that got free hardware as a result.

Furthermore:
Usually these mounts are released by the community within a month or so of the community getting their hands on the hotend/printer. Lets take the Press for example, and say I got a preorder in mid-January. Lets say I stopped everything I was doing the moment I arrived for 3 days, and got a mount up. This would have cost me $2200.

The alternative is waiting for the community, like MacGyverX. He made a mount 3 weeks later. I don't know how many hotends you think I sell or what you think the margin is, but even if every Press owner that received a printer in those 3 weeks bought one, I wouldn't be anywhere near $2200 in profit.

Not to mention the fact that with option 2, those folks that wanted one in that 3 week window will still end up buying one, just a few weeks later.

Do you see my point yet?

There's no issue with Option 2.

elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:
Gordym wrote:

Haha, have you read the news lately man? SSYS is down 30% as a result of Makerbot losses:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgra … -guidance/

I saw. They missed their earnings by a small percentage. I would expect them to crush it in 2015. They are still trying to figure out how to sell 3D printers to the consumers who are still trying to figure out how to use one.

This is their audience: http://3dprint.com/40461/3d-printing-survey/

We have a long ways to go before things hit mainstream...

Filastruder

elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

All of the printers I listed (with the exception of the Workbench) have working E3Dv6 mounts, provided by the community, generally by folks that got free hardware as a result.

Sure there is, we can't get something for nothing tongue

elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

Ability to sell the mounts. Documentation and directions are standardized. People want this stuff to be as easy as possible and they will pay for the convenience.

Filastruder

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Ability to sell the mounts. Documentation and directions are standardized. People want this stuff to be as easy as possible and they will pay for the convenience.

I already do sell the mounts. If you mean closed source and at crazy prices, that doesn't sit well with folks.

I agree that a portion of folks want it to be as easy as possible. These folks aren't going to want to dick around with mounts and firmware flashing, they'll just go get a different printer.

I also edited my post above. Recouping those expenses won't be as easy as you think...

DePartedPrinter wrote:

I saw. They missed their earnings by a small percentage. I would expect them to crush it in 2015. They are still trying to figure out how to sell 3D printers to the consumers who are still trying to figure out how to use one.

If you really believe that, put some money on it. January '16 100 calls are $1.60. That'd be a 20% jump from where they were a week ago.

elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

If you really believe that, put some money on it. January '16 100 calls are $1.60. That'd be a 20% jump from where they were a week ago.

Ha. My money is better put to use other places at this time.

Filastruder

elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

I already do sell the mounts. If you mean closed source and at crazy prices, that doesn't sit well with folks.

I agree that a portion of folks want it to be as easy as possible. These folks aren't going to want to dick around with mounts and firmware flashing, they'll just go get a different printer.

I also edited my post above. Recouping those expenses won't be as easy as you think...

I would pay for a full package upgrade. Everything I need included.

Recouping the expenses can be done. I can see the benefits of both sides but I would always want more control over how things are designed and released.

Filastruder

Should all of these comments not be directed to the manufacturer rather than elmoret?  Don't they have the most to gain by making their hot end compatible with more printers?

justsomeguy wrote:

Don't they have the most to gain by making their hot end compatible with more printers?

Its a mutual benefit but yes E3D has the most to gain.

Don't get me wrong. Elmoret runs Filastruder amazingly. I just think E3D hot ends could be better sold if they (E3D or Filstruder) did some more work to make the process of upgrading easier.

Filastruder

21 (edited by wire10ga 2015-02-06 11:47:27)

How about option 3: DePartedPrinter or Wardrr could design the mounts themselves tongue  Then they could do a consignment with Filastruder to sell the mounts in Tim's store. Win Win wink

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

The biggest issue with buying printers and then designing mounts for them is the risk involved if those mounts do not sell. If he only sells a few printerbot simple mounts, he will not recover his expense. If he "hires" a consultant by providing them a Hot end to design a mount for their own machine, he is out around $80 (retail). The hot end manufacturers design the hot ends to be reasonably generic so they will basically fit a number of machines. They have the same issue. Which printers do their customers own? Also, there are still a huge number of people building their own 3D printer so those mounts are a crap shoot as well. Filastruder can still be in control of the process and keep the investment low by hiring consultants to do the design work. If there are issues after the design is done, changing the design to work properly is usually a minor tweak. Risk Vs. reward is critical in how a small business can function. Buying a large number of printers to design a part that will retail for around $10 is a huge investment. Just to break even on one mount, a business would have to sell around 300 mounts. Even if the printers were sold after the design were done. Of course, most businesses would probably keep the printers so they could run quality tests on a regular basis.

In my case, I was grateful that Filastruder sold the mount for the Solidoodle because I did not purchase my E3D V6 while my printer was functioning. My old hot end failed and my printer was down. I had two choices, replace the standard hot end with one from Solidoodle (Which was not in stock and they could provide no time frame as to when it would be back in stock) or upgrade to a new hot end. One of the reasons I purchased the E3D was because he also sold all the mounting hardware needed.

I agree that he would have increased sales if he stocked more mounts, but the second option he listed is far more beneficial to him and his growing consulting team in the long run.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

wire10ga wrote:

How about option 3: DePartedPrinter or Wardrr could design the mounts themselves tongue  Then they could do a consignment with Filastruder to sell the mounts in Tim's store. Win Win wink

Most of the mounts I sell are on this basis. Nearly all of the money made selling them goes to the guys that created them.

I'm on with option 2 for cost containment; plus leveraging the expertise in the community to develop the various mounting options can also result in more creative and varied solutions instead of one person designing a few dozen variations.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

elmoret wrote:
wire10ga wrote:

Most of the mounts I sell are on this basis. Nearly all of the money made selling them goes to the guys that created them.

Ummm,  I can attest to this actually wink
It has been fun discussing option 1 but in reality the way Tim has been handling the mounts is really the only practical way to do it.  Sometimes the time frames aren't as advantageous as we would like.  But, we aren't in control of when new products are rolled out or announced by companies such as E3d. 
Although I can appreciate that some users would pay for a quicker plug and play experience.  We have to remember that most users that are picking up hot ends such as the V-6, Cyclops/Chimera and the Kraken will have a variety of machines.  Couple that with the fact that at these levels, most of these consumers will have at least one mod that will play a roll in how a mount may or may not work!  Well it becomes almost impossible to come up with a one size fits all mount.  So the focus and I believe Tim will agree, is to create something that will simply allow many users to get up and printing again.  Sell those cheap enough that it isn't a big deal to just throw it away once they come up with and print what they really want for their configuration.

Given all this... I say Kudos to Tim for the insane amount of time and effort he puts into this community.
I would challenge anyone to find a user of this forum (and any of his other frequent stops) that hasn't learned something
from the man we all know as elmoret smile