Topic: Robo 3D vs Solidoodle 3 vs Aluminatus

I love my Solidoodle 2.  We ordered back in mid-August and have had it since the first week in December. We probably have printed over a kilogram of ABS, and the machine must have a solid 30 hours of print time on it.  Our Solidoodle has never had a nozzle clog (we though we had one, but was wrong due to operator inexperience), and has just been a workhorse.

That said, I always knew that the Solidoodle 2 would be a stepping stone.  The 6x6x6 print area, combined with the remarkable advances in the industry every couple of months, virtually assured that the Solidoodle 2 would be relatively obsolete within the first year or so.

The Solidoodle 3 is interesting at 8x8x8 and $800.

Then, perusing the DEFCAD forums http://defcad.org/forum/index.php I learned about the Robo 3D Printer over at Kickstarter. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/168 … 3d-printer  10 x 8 in X and Y, and 10 in Z for $520 for PLA only (no heated bed) and $620 for PLA/ABS (heated bed). It is not clear, but the Robo 3D printer appears to come almost completely assembled.  They say that it can be put together in under one hour.  So far, though, I'm not impressed with the print quality they have shown in pictures.

On the other end of the spectrum in terms of print area and cost is Trinity Labs Aluminatus.  12x12x12 print area at a cost of $1900 (next batch of 50 printers discounted from $2200).  http://trinitylabs.com/pages/aluminatus-overview  The print quality is pretty stunning on the Aluminatus, and there are YouTube videos of the Aluminatus running at remarkably high speeds.

3D printing today is like automobiles were like in the late 1800's/early 1900's and how personal computers were in the late 70's/early 80's:  rapid development and dozens of small players guaranteed that whatever you chose would be obsolete/superceded as soon as you brought it home.

Thoughts or comments on these three printers with larger print areas?

Titanium

2 (edited by DePartedPrinter 2013-01-08 18:06:04)

Re: Robo 3D vs Solidoodle 3 vs Aluminatus

titanium wrote:

I love my Solidoodle 2.  We ordered back in mid-August and have had it since the first week in December. We probably have printed over a kilogram of ABS, and the machine must have a solid 30 hours of print time on it.  Our Solidoodle has never had a nozzle clog (we though we had one, but was wrong due to operator inexperience), and has just been a workhorse.

That said, I always knew that the Solidoodle 2 would be a stepping stone.  The 6x6x6 print area, combined with the remarkable advances in the industry every couple of months, virtually assured that the Solidoodle 2 would be relatively obsolete within the first year or so.

The Solidoodle 3 is interesting at 8x8x8 and $800.

Then, perusing the DEFCAD forums http://defcad.org/forum/index.php I learned about the Robo 3D Printer over at Kickstarter. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/168 … 3d-printer  10 x 8 in X and Y, and 10 in Z for $520 for PLA only (no heated bed) and $620 for PLA/ABS (heated bed). It is not clear, but the Robo 3D printer appears to come almost completely assembled.  They say that it can be put together in under one hour.  So far, though, I'm not impressed with the print quality they have shown in pictures.

On the other end of the spectrum in terms of print area and cost is Trinity Labs Aluminatus.  12x12x12 print area at a cost of $1900 (next batch of 50 printers discounted from $2200).  http://trinitylabs.com/pages/aluminatus-overview  The print quality is pretty stunning on the Aluminatus, and there are YouTube videos of the Aluminatus running at remarkably high speeds.

3D printing today is like automobiles were like in the late 1800's/early 1900's and how personal computers were in the late 70's/early 80's:  rapid development and dozens of small players guaranteed that whatever you chose would be obsolete/superceded as soon as you brought it home.

Thoughts or comments on these three printers with larger print areas?

Titanium

Please cite your examples of these remarkable advances in the industry that are happening?  I have been working with 3d printers for 9 years and the technology hasn't changed much other than the fact that its cheaper.

How do you figure the SD2 will be obsolete in a year?  The technology on those printers is no different than what comes on a Solidoodle today.  The only difference on these machines is a bigger print area.  FDM technology has its limitations.  The Dimension printer I used 8 years ago is still in production and still produces models the exact same way all FDM type machines do today .

When I can buy an SLA or SLS 3d printer for sub $1000 we will have made an advancement.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Probably the only real advancements for FDM would be in software- better gcode from slicers, and better firmware (eg Sailfish) for increasing speed while maintaining quality.  The slicing would probably still be a matter of open source versions playing catchup with the more mature pro versions.

Increased size isn't really the big advancement hobby printers need- it's reliable dual extrusion with dissolvable support and heated build chambers which is still a matter of catching up with pro printers (an their patents).  All of it is old technology, the innovation is more about doing it cheaply enough for the individual to afford while producing quality prints.

IanJohnson wrote:

Increased size isn't really the big advancement hobby printers need- it's reliable dual extrusion with dissolvable support and heated build chambers which is still a matter of catching up with pro printers (an their patents).  All of it is old technology, the innovation is more about doing it cheaply enough for the individual to afford while producing quality prints.

+1 on the dissolvable support.

Filastruder

IanJohnson wrote:

Probably the only real advancements for FDM would be in software- better gcode from slicers, and better firmware (eg Sailfish) for increasing speed while maintaining quality.  The slicing would probably still be a matter of open source versions playing catchup with the more mature pro versions.

Interesting you should say that.

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20130108- … today.html

Replicator 2X 3D printer is designed for 3D printing experts working in R&D who want to blaze a trail into the future of 3D printing. It is a more advanced extension of MakerBot Replicator 2 and features experimental dual extrusion, reengineered extruder and an updated heated build platform. It has a full-seal heat-trapping enclosure which could help to stabilize the ABS cooling period and a single-piece, thermal formed magnetic lid to keep or release heat.

Features:

Two color printing
Allows for printing with dissolvable support material like PVA
Possible to create an entirely solid plastic object with a customization density
Can combine the two plastics into a single object that is both flexible and rigid.
Allowing printing two objects, one with each extruder, at the same time.
Two extruders can have variable resolution - With one very fine nozzle aperture and one relatively large nozzle aperture, a single object could be printed with quick printing course features and very high resolution features that take more time.

They've already been able to print with PVA support, but the challenge was getting anything to stick to it.  Apparently though you can dissolve PLA with lye, so that might be a good alternative.

Flexible/Rigid is going to depend on material development (some of which is going on over at the RepRap board).

The two objects and two nozzle sizes is more of a software capability.

I like how they call it the Experimental.  It's a warning to people who want something that will print perfectly out of the box that it won't print perfectly out of the box.

7 (edited by DePartedPrinter 2013-01-08 19:28:32)

cmetzel wrote:
IanJohnson wrote:

Interesting you should say that.

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20130108- … today.html

Replicator 2X 3D printer is designed for 3D printing experts working in R&D who want to blaze a trail into the future of 3D printing. It is a more advanced extension of MakerBot Replicator 2 and features experimental dual extrusion, reengineered extruder and an updated heated build platform. It has a full-seal heat-trapping enclosure which could help to stabilize the ABS cooling period and a single-piece, thermal formed magnetic lid to keep or release heat.

Features:

Two color printing
Allows for printing with dissolvable support material like PVA
Possible to create an entirely solid plastic object with a customization density
Can combine the two plastics into a single object that is both flexible and rigid.
Allowing printing two objects, one with each extruder, at the same time.
Two extruders can have variable resolution - With one very fine nozzle aperture and one relatively large nozzle aperture, a single object could be printed with quick printing course features and very high resolution features that take more time.

$2,799
For that price I would buy a Form One.

Filastruder

So I just checked out the Robo printer site, browsing down the specs I'm seeing looks pretty good.... then all of the sudden I see 3MM filament?? Now this is just my opinion but I think 1.75 has quite a few advantages over 3 and makes things simpler and better overall and would seem like the natural progression in development would be to use 1.75... anyways just my thoughts smile

9 (edited by titanium 2013-01-17 06:50:58)

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Please cite your examples of these remarkable advances in the industry that are happening?  I have been working with 3d printers for 9 years and the technology hasn't changed much other than the fact that its cheaper.

Seriously?  The home/hobby market didn't, for all practical purposes, exist until the reprap project began.  And the first parts and reprap machines didn't happen until mid-2008, which was less than five years ago.

I grant you that the technology hasn't changed much from the commercial machines, but this is like saying the personal computer wasn't a "remarkable advance" back in the mid 1980's just because computer workstations had been around for the previous decade.  I submit that the cost decreases which enabled the personal computer to appear in most homes was indeed a "remarkable advance".

So the home 3D printer market has gone from zero to tens of thousands of printers in under five years.  Truly remarkable.  And it seems that hardly a month or two goes by that there isn't some advance in larger print volumes, lower costs, better printer software, better and/or cheaper 3D cad software, etc.

DePartedPrinter wrote:

How do you figure the SD2 will be obsolete in a year?  The technology on those printers is no different than what comes on a Solidoodle today.  The only difference on these machines is a bigger print area.  FDM technology has its limitations.  The Dimension printer I used 8 years ago is still in production and still produces models the exact same way all FDM type machines do today.

I didn't exactly say "obsolete".  I said "relatively obsolete".  This was perhaps a poor choice of words.  I should have said that there might be printers with better "print volume to cost" ratios.

Titanium

10 (edited by titanium 2013-01-17 06:58:17)

IanJohnson wrote:

I think the big advancement that hobby printers need is for the open source software to do better slices with less user input.  I took a Solidworks class last year, and one of our projects was printed out on a Stratasys Dimension printer.  It appeared that the instructor only had to layout were all of the various items to be printed where placed on the print bed.  I didn't really see him have to do a lot of tweaking to slicer settings.  It would be great for the open source software to be "smarter" such that the software automatically recognizes things like overhangs, tall skinny objects, or any other difficult printing situations.  I would assume that the Stratasys type commercial printers use different slicing settings for different types of printing situations within the same print.

Titanium

ronsii wrote:

So I just checked out the Robo printer site, browsing down the specs I'm seeing looks pretty good.... then all of the sudden I see 3MM filament?? Now this is just my opinion but I think 1.75 has quite a few advantages over 3 and makes things simpler and better overall and would seem like the natural progression in development would be to use 1.75... anyways just my thoughts smile

They just announced that they're testing a new 1.75mm hot end:
kickstarter.com/projects/1682938109/robo-3d-printer/posts/388092

(Can't post links)

Disclosure: I am the CEO/Founder of TrinityLabs and also the designer of the Aluminatus printer. I just wanted to chime in a bit with some information on why the Aluminatus *is* in fact a step forward in the under $5k FDM 3d printer market.

The build size is one obvious thing but that is not really a technology issue it is just part of the design goal to be able to make extremely large prints. And the final build area(printable) of the shipping Aluminatus is a whopping >>

X: 320mm  Y: 320mm  Z:346mm

Which is far and above a cubic foot.

But the true advancement in this printer is the use of 10 start , 25mm pitch antilash leadscrew linear actuators on the x and y axis. These leadscrews have an order of magnitude better repeatability and positional accuracy then the best belt driven GT2 linear X Y axis printers.

Compare the leadscrew X/Y axis at +- 0.02mm repeatability per meter of travel to GT2 belts/pulleys at +-0.1mm repeatability per meter of travel. Now consider that since we are stacking layer upon layer of plastic the repeatability of your X and Y axis is going to have the most percievable visual quality of your printed parts.

We're shipping the first 50 Aluminatus 1.0 printers this coming week so you will I am sure be hearing about the output and quality of this preinter from independent sources not as biased as myself who created the printer platform ;P

-Ezra

Hi ezra and thank you for your disclosure. Cna you provide us images of the some of the prints i would be interested in seeing some complicated prints. Also will you be providing stl files or replacement parts to make ease of repair?

14 (edited by jefferysanders 2013-01-20 17:00:48)

"Compare the leadscrew X/Y axis at +- 0.02mm repeatability per meter of travel to GT2 belts/pulleys at +-0.1mm repeatability per meter of travel. Now consider that since we are stacking layer upon layer of plastic the repeatability of your X and Y axis is going to have the most perceivable visual quality of your printed parts."

You distort your precision improvements by stating the end answer in meters [that is the typical term regardless], but at 6x6x6 inches or 150x150x150 mm those tolerances are less important.  There is no doubt that the movement system you have implemented has been discussed (and used in industry) all of the time, I do applaud your attempt to deliver...but I believe 1800$ is way out of the range and is overpriced even with the nice lead screws (everything else looked like your common AL extrusions just being a i3 prusa derivative. 

I really want to see a full sized print (youtube 1080 plz running @ max speed e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZwjvZ79iYo)...that would have actually had me impressed...otherwise why would I not just go build a i3 Prusa or MendalMax2 for 300-500$ max right now.  300$ for the same quality (check out prusa's youtube for quality and I have seen huge prints from him) vs. 1800$ for shiny extrusions....no thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/prusajr

Let me follow up with some print quality photos, some links to my youtube channel where you can see the past few months of Aluminatus prototyping anfd testing and very large very high speed printing.

But first let me show you why this is not comparable to a mendelmax or a prusa in any shape or form and where the $1800 goes to and why it is worth the money. Have a look at the final production build, this is my personal bot with custom annodized extrusions in the first 3 attached photos( I tried to link to external photo album but forum will not allow me to add links for some reason?)

Now you can clearly see there is a lot more custom machining here then just your standard tslot bot. The tslot is part of the frames rigidity yes, but the lasercut aluminum frame cover plate as well as the 6.5mm thick lasercut Y carriage and the machined Aluminum custom parts scattered throughout the whole printer to make it a step above the others you mentioned.

The X/Y stages are custom co-designed between trinitylabs and PBC Linear to our desired spec for a printer of this size, speed and accuracy. With the triple stack 112oz-in nema17 steppers on X and Y both X and Y are capable of 390mm travel speeds and the acceleration settings in Marlin can be set to a maximum of 50,000! yes 50k not 5k, put it this way, even the ultimaker uses 9k acceleraiton not 50k that these assemblies can handle.

So this printer preffers to print at 126mm/sec perimeters and 200mm/sec infill. This is where the resonance and extrusions speed matcjh up the best to have the priunter just hum and wail out the parts fast while maintaining very high dimensional accuracy and very "crisp" looking prints even on 90degree sharp corners there is no blpbbing even at this high speed.

The X and Y axis actually have 320mm of travel so you can print to the very last mm of the 300mm x 300mm borosilicate heated bed. And a 24V 400W kapton heater stuck to a 0.8mm aluminm heat spreader is right under the glass. Due to the size and wattage of the bed heater the Aluminatus ships with *2* 24V PSU's. One of them is a 24V 400W 17AMP PSU dedicated entirely to the 400W 24v kapton bed heater. The additional 24V 10AMP 250W PSU drives the stepper motors, electronics, fans hot ends and LED lights.

These first 50 units ship with custom built RAMPS built to our spec with all black PCB boards on all electronics. The machine comes with Black RAMPS1.4 on a Black Taurino arduino mega clone that is 12V-36V safe and then we also ship these with 5 black brand name pololu stepper drivers, no clones , direct from pololu only. These are the newer black higher amp, better heat sinking design of the step sticks. We ship the ramps loaded with 5 of these black pololus because we run each Z stepper motor on it's own independant stepper driver. The second extruder stepper spot E1 holds a black pololu that drives the second Z stepper. This is done because stepper drivers were never actually meant to drive two motors off one drive *ever*. Recent versions of Marlin firmware allowyou to specify to use E1 stepper driver as the second Z axis motor drive and this makes the Z axis very fast and strong and capable of very fast z lift and travel even with the heavier linear actuator X axis.

We ship our own custom designed extruder that is available open source on thingiverse under the trinitylabs user account that uses a nema17 5.8:1 planetary gearhead stepper in a direct drive setup for unstoppable direct drive extrusion. We have a customized guidler for the idler that has a closed loop arond the filament instead of a U channel and we have a nice wide funnel underneatrh the hobb and idler so this makes this extruder the easiest extruder to use to swap filament on the fly without pausing your print. Just cut the current filament and let it enter the extruder and then lightly follow it in with the next color or piece of filament and it will suck it in and print without clogging or jamming ever.

(P.S. the entire Aluminatus printer is open source open hardware and CAD models and BOM will be released next week when we get a chance to catch our breath after building and shipping 60 identical units.

These printers also ship by default with a LCD panel and cclickwheel encoder with a 4GB sd card for standalone headless printing and control of the printer.

The Z axis uses custom machined to our spec 400mm long Thomson Linear Robotics 10x2mm leadscrews with acytl nuts that are every bit as straight as linear smooth rod and therefor use thrust bearings on the bottom right above the coupler and 608zz's on the idler end on top sinc they are straight enough that they do not wobble and get over constrained with bearings on both ends of the screw.

For the linear guidance on Z we use PTFE coated 12mm smooth rods and 12mm PTFE linear bearings made also by our partner PBC Linearcalled Simplicty LM12UU plane PTFE linear bearings. These things glide like butter but are utterly silent compared to ball bearing lm12uu's.

I could continue here descibing all the custom work and manufacturing in these printers that make them far and above "just another tslot bot" but I will stop here with the technical details and I will post some print quality photos and link you to my youtube channel where I have openly developed the Aluminatus since it first started printing until now when we are about to ship the first 50 1.0 production units this week.

So I cannot post links here on the forum yet probably because I am a new users so please just search for my username on youtube where I am "ezmobius"  There are many many videos of the Aluminatus prototypes in various states and quality levels and speed leevls printing many different types of objects. I am certain you can get the "impressed feeling" you want by browsing the youtube channel, my google group as well as the photos of print quality I am attaching to this post.

One more thing to note is that these printers come with a full one year manufacturing defect warantee on the entire XYZ cartesian robot. If either the XY or Z axis fails for any reason not caused by user error or abuse I will fedex you a replacement part with a pre-postage paid box to ship back the old part after you install the replacement.

These printers also come 85-90% pre-assembled. The entire bottom rectangle of the frame is pre-assembled and aligned with the aluminum cover plate installed, the two PSU's installed and wired to the RAMPS pre-installed and wired with a full labeled wiring harness. The z axis upright tslot parts will also be pre-assembled but laid down in the shipping container to save on shipping a fully upright printer. The average time it will take a user to go from unboxing to first print is 1-2 hours.

The entire printer is comprised of less then 40 parts(not including fasteners) and there are no printed parts that are used for anything that needs proper alignment or squaring. Basically anything that needs precision alignment or tuning is pre-done for you by us or the part manufacturing plant. So your first print after 1-2 hour assembly will look as good as my prints I will attach to this post.

We will also ship close to 10 custom slic3r profile.ini files for high, mediu,m and low res ABS or PLA as well as thin wall hollow vessels or rigid structural components with infill and custom needs. We have written a small app cross platform that you double click that lest you choose your stl file, select which kind of resolution and plastic you are using as well as what type of slicing you desire and this app will template our the proper slic3r/.ini file, slice your object and open pronterface with the GCODE loaded and ready to be printed just as a nice touch to simplify use. But of course you don't have to use this is you are already an advanced user.

So enough blathering let me attach some print photos and some photos of our new 7000 sq/ft warehouse where we are currently assembling the first 60 1.0 printers...

I hope this gives you more insight into why the price is well justified and of course I am biased being the designer of this printer but I ask you to withold judgement until you see one in person or hear a review from an impartial 3rd party you trust before you leap to judgement about whether this printer is a step forward in tecnology and print quality and speed or whether a $300 prusa can print just as well as this industrial machine that will last you 5 years or more.

(Appears I can only attach 5 images per post so I am going to follow with another post or two containing more print examples.)

Thanks for Reading
-Ezra

Post's attachments

blue.jpg
blue.jpg 201.91 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-21 

blue2.jpg
blue2.jpg 196.85 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-21 

photo 2 (8).JPG
photo 2 (8).JPG 458.38 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-21 

photo 4 (7).JPG
photo 4 (7).JPG 425.13 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-21 

photo 4 (8).JPG
photo 4 (8).JPG 604.43 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-21 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Here are a few more photos of print and machinery  quality..

Ezra

Post's attachments

1.jpg
1.jpg 204.09 kb, 3 downloads since 2013-01-21 

3.jpg
3.jpg 201.59 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-21 

8.jpg
8.jpg 233.33 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-21 

a-2.JPG
a-2.JPG 1.64 mb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-21 

photo 2 (14).JPG 1.75 mb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-21 

And just a few shots of the current build party going on with 60 printers being created.

-Ezra

Post's attachments

7.jpg 108.85 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-21 

IMG_5284.jpg
IMG_5284.jpg 915.97 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-21 

IMG_5286.jpg
IMG_5286.jpg 702.86 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-21 

IMG_5299.jpg
IMG_5299.jpg 802.23 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-21 

photo 2.JPG 2.98 mb, 3 downloads since 2013-01-21 

http://www.youtube.com/user/ezmobius1/videos?view=0

Gotta say it looks pretty impressive.  Anything being considered to reduce noise?  I print on my kitchen table and my wife would go nuts if I tried to run something that loud. 

Without an enclosure, what do you do to combat cooling and warping that many other ABS printers suffer with?

Yes the noise is not an issue in the final shipping printers. I am just a fan of not trying to hide anything so I left the noise in and if you go back and watch some of the videos in cheonological order you will notice the noise started out at horrific levels wink

Over time we figured out what was causing resonance to produce the noise and how to counteract it with different techniques such as frame
Bracing and using adhesive cork board on most metal on metal joins that we're transmitting vibration.

We also had a learning curve on firmware tuning which is massively different for multistart fast screws compared to all the belt driven printers I have jacked firmware settings for in the past.

One of the final noise cancelation issues I discovered recently is the max acceleration these leadscrew stages are capable of hitting. They max out at an incredible 50000 accelleration setting for the x and y axis. Compare this number to the highest accelleration settings I have ever seen used at 9000 for the ultimaker.

Once I realized the leadscrews liked high acceleration and jerk settings I played with settings higher then I ever would have considered without knowing the 50k accell top limit.

With higher accell and jerk settings on the x and y stages the resonance and louder noises immediately quieted down.

Adding the lasercut aluminum cover plate really makes the printer look much more polished but when we added it we found out that the whole cover plate acted like a giant speaker or amplifier for any remaining vibrations wink

So a screw driven linear motion system will always be a little but louder then a belt drive because the hard screw is twisting at high speeds and also changing directions rapidly but this noise is really not an annoyance.

Now the printers in their final shipping state make mostly the R2D2 sing song of the stepper motors IMF their tune. There is a tad bit more mechanical noise from the afforementjoned mechanical screw motion profile. But overall you do not need to raise your voice to speak woth someone in the same rooms as you and the printer and you definitely can our here it from outside or a room.

The Aluminatus is definitely more of an industrial professional tool then a hobby desktop machine and therefor is more suited for a garage or workshop/workroom area but I run mine right smack dab in the middle of my desk and it is worth it to be able to watch this thing work wink

I've honestly never seen a 3d printer that moves the way this one does. It has a motion look to it of a mich more industrial robotic machine then Amy other reprap or makerbot/solo doodle type machine

Now all that said this may not be the printer for you if you prefer something smaller and quieter to have running In the living room while you watch tv. In those situations the solidoodle seems like a killer deal for what it is.

But an Aluminatus is a profession tool and is built to last and act like one. With the maintenance free high end linear robitics inside, I won't be surprised to see these still running strong. 5-10 years from now.

This is what sets this in a slightly higher class and price bracket then hobby machines IMHO. My team and myself have spent a significant amount of time designing this machine to "just work" as much as you can with these types of FFF machines.

I hope this gives folks a little bit more informed overview of what this printer is all about and why we think it is different.

Thanks
Ezra

Well you definitely made a new fan out of me.  Price was an issue for me but I'm excited about the direction you're taking.  Keep us informed.

Can  you tell us more about technical specs and performance?  How many ccs of plastic can you lay down in an hour?  I'm trying to imagine how much faster this might be than the Solidoodle.

Also, what is your nozzle size and layer height?

What software do you recommend?  Have you tried Repetier Host?

Do you use a special version of firmware?  Is it proprietary, or open?

Thanks!

23 (edited by jon_bondy 2013-01-22 12:52:17)

Also, do you offer an enclosure?  On this board, the conventional wisdom is that you need an enclosure to print large ABS parts without warping and edges separating from the bed.

It is hard to see how the fan that cools the extruded filament is designed.  Is there a cowling to direct air at the print, and away from the hot end?   From the videos, it looks as if the entire hot end is being cooled.

Given the speed with which the extruder moves, is it difficult to clip old filament and insert new while the printer is printing?

Might be interesting to print something on a Solidoodle and again on the Alumatus to see how the print times compare.

The Solidoodle uses a spring to load the bearing against the hob, but your extruder does not seem to have this feature.  Care to explain why?

Do I see a Bowden tube feeding filament to the extruder?  That often is used when the extruder is not mounted on the carriage: why are you using it in this configuration?

Do you have a forum, like this one, for your product?

Man, I can barely hear you over the printer.  That printer is LOUD!

In light of your recent post, I would say you have developed a very nice product, but then I saw a MendalMax in the back room while you were showing off your new business location...like I said...it is a i3 with better electronics and a custom frame...and I still don't personally think that there are any huge improvements that justify 300$ vs 1800$.  I can also live feed my extruder and all I did was add a small glass washer (I crafted) between the peek and our mk2/mk3 bottom replacement parts and that will only get easier as I move to a bowden setup...Regardless it is awesome to have more printer's for people out there to choose from, it keeps everyone else moving forward w designs.

Why would having a mendelmax in my warehouse have any barring on this conversation? Do you realize that trinitylabs employed Mike Payson since last april and sold the official mendelmax 1.5+ kits(over 350 of them) all spring summer and fall? I have probably 20 or so odd mendelmaxes laying around. I contrinuted the Linear slide rail X and Y axis to the mendelmax project as my own original design, I also have an ultimaker, a few prusa's, a cartesio, various repstraps, a bunch of aluminatus, a kossell a rostock, 5 or 6 prototype printers without yet any names an orca and probably 8 others I have forgotten by now.

What does that tell you about the Aluminatus now? Nothing ... Get back to me with photos of your $300 i3 and show me the print quality and then I will take you seriously, for now you seem content on trolling without actually knowing the facts.

The mendelmax you saw in the backroom is in fact the "MendelMaxPro" that was featured in make magazine's ultimade guide to 3d printing, go have a peek at the magazine and then have another look at the black mendelmax-pro in the video and you will find they are one in the same.

Look I was just trying to share some technical details with you and the rest of the blokes in here seem civil but if you truly think you can build a mendelmax for $300 or even an i3 for $300 and come anywhere near competing with one of my Aluminatus printers on speed and print quality I will pay you $10k on the spot. But we both have to be in the same room and build our bots at the same time and document your $300 BOM and compare final print quality.

That should motivate anyone who can actually pull off what they claim to do so. So I will be waiting for the call. Let me know when your $300 printer *of any type* can rival the speed and print quality of mine and the offer stands for you. But I don't expect to hear from you anytime soon to be honest ;P

Appologies to the other forum dwellers here who seem very nice and interested in improving the 3d printer technology and quality landscape. But if I had a nickel for everyone who claimed they can build a $300 mendelmax or i3 and take me on print quality but never came though or took me up on the offer well, i dont want that many nickels.

I find it incredibly ironic that the folks who have never seen a multistart high speed antilash leadscrew let alone a printer using them for all axis seem to be the foremost experts on their capabilities. And almost unanimously have decided without ever seeing one in action that it can't possibly be any better then what they cling to currently.

So unless you can truly back up your $300 claim, like I can back up every fact I stated in my posts then why bother posting nonsense about $300 rival printers? Show me the printer you made for $300 and its output and impress me instead of the other way around. I didn;t come here to sell my printer in fact, just to spread some hard earned research about improving the status quouo.  I have as many Aluminatus sold as I can make right now so I am not after new customers I am actually only after sharing open source hardware design discussion and improvements but the $300 better then you printer folks of the world are holding the movement back by trying to build precision linear motion cartesian robots from duct tape and dog turds. If tape and turdsa are your thing then enjoy. I prefer to push the enveloipe and see what else is out there that smells less tongue

Appologies if this was ranty, but you know you deserved it tongue Make sure you have an informed opinion before you declare it the one true opinion next time.

You do realize the i3 is just a mendelm90 clone too right?

-Ezra