Re: Da Vinci borosilicate glass with heater

I purchased your glass but have yet to install it. My stock glass is still working withotu chips. I figured I would get one just in case.

The only thing I want know is a bed frame with 4 screw points instead of 3. When I calibrate with paper, I notice that when the 3 screw points are perfect, one of the two front corners is either too high or too low.

I noticed that the bottom part of the bed has two holes in the front corners, but the top part of the bed frame doesnt have spaces to add in leveling screws.

My machine has a slightly bent y axis bar on the right. If i move my nozzle over the right corner then by hand turn the bed up till it touches, I can then rotate the right y axis rod by hand an watch the nozzle move up and down by .5mm. Has not been a problem yet but it could be what you are seeing. I have been thinking of trying to find a happy spot where travel front to back is even then some how secure the rod from rotating. Then adjust that side of the bed to match.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

James any chance of you posting a pic of your installed upgrade? Is your bed the one I posted pics of or once like Carl has? I've had no flaking at all from my bed.

I PM'd you about buying new glass with installed heater if you still have one.

I'll post pics once I have mine installed...

Win 8.1
Improved Da Vinci 1.0 with Firmware 1.2.5 and stock extruder
Arduino cartridge resetter and after-market ABS filament
TinkerCAD, Netfabb, Simplify3D

I contacted XYZ through my distributor and straight away XYZ sent me out a new bed, so cant complain there.
It arrived as a separate piece of glass and the stickyback heating element with wires attached so leaves me now with an option of replacing glass with Borosilicate/pyrex
The glass looks a little different to my old one so I was going to check with them the grade first.
Not having much luck sourcing Boro glass here the correct size, best I can get is 200x213 or 300x300.
Might check my local glass company see if they have anything or if they can cut the 300x300 to size for me.

I'll take a 1.0 heater/glass combo from you.
Any idea of shipping costs to
1. blaine,WA 98230
2. british columbia, canada v4n 5h4?

thanks

32 (edited by KevinME 2015-02-13 15:18:44)

James,
I received the new glass/heater yesterday and just installed it (thank you for the quick turn around). After tightening down the brackets that hold the glass in place, I noticed the glass was still very loose and I could move it easily. It seems to be about 2mm too small on all directions. I tried taking the bracket off and bending the taps to help force the glass down and stable, but this didn't work. I then took the glass out and under the mat I placed some 2mm tall "test" circles I had laying around and put them under the white pad to help "push" up the glass. This worked in the sense that the glass doesn't move anymore. I'm heating up the printer right now to do a calibration. I'll let you know how it turns out.

As per the glass not being the same size, did I maybe get a bad batch?

Edit:
This is on a DaVinci 1.0A

How much would it be to ship to the UK?

My apologies, I've not been on the forum in a while.

I have 8 heater/glass left.
I'll be happy to ship international. Send me your address and I'll give you a quote.

About the glass size. The manufacturer can only promise me certain tolerance. +/- 1mm so I had to make the glass a tad smaller to make sure it fit if it was max tolerance. I felt it was better to be a few mm smaller than too big.
As far as the thickness, I had two choices and picked the thickness closest to the stock glass.
I'm looking at some silicone pads for those that need them. You used 2mm thick shims? How high do you think they need to be? Both of my printers are tight. i mean you can move them if you push hard but they are not loose.
You could have a glass that's on the low side of the tolerance. Thickness should be 2.75mm

Thanks

James

35 (edited by jdholbrook33 2015-02-16 05:38:51)

DrAnonymous wrote:

James any chance of you posting a pic of your installed upgrade? Is your bed the one I posted pics of or once like Carl has? I've had no flaking at all from my bed.

I PM'd you about buying new glass with installed heater if you still have one.

Sorry I'm late getting back to you.
I read your PM and replied.
I thought that an email would be sent when I get a PM, seems I either missed it or didn't receive it.
I'm also subscribed to this thread. Should I have been notified when posts are made?
I'll check my settings, maybe I don't have it turned on.

I have two printers. One is a little older and has like a valley in the middle of the Z axis bed. The other is flat. The glass fits both of them but it will not fit the Duo.
Seems that there is a little difference in some. A few have reported that the glass is too thin and is not being held in tightly with the 4 clamps.

Do you still need photos? It's too late tonight and I'll be busy tomorrow but can do them tomorrow evening. Tell me exactly what you need photos of.

Regards,

James

36 (edited by PseudoShooter 2015-02-17 04:09:10)

Hello All

I picked up James' new heated bed today and installed it a little while ago. It was an easy install and it works great! Nice and hot.

I took a number of pictures to highlight a few things along the way.

You'll need a small hex tool (number 9?) and a Philips screwdriver. If you plan on removing the side panel, a flat tip screwdriver is handy to gently pry open the plastic retaining tabs.

Here is the photoset:

Removing the pad leads:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/10830070_10152952187471195_2782877782647562707_o.jpg

The blue leads: (don't forget to reattach!)

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/1966306_10152952187521195_7781798188130441108_o.jpg

The insulation pad under the heater. Note the thermistor pad at the back connected to white wires.

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/10960108_10152952187481195_5663039498527318031_o.jpg

My tinfoil shim. The new glass could not be firmly fixed in without a little extra thickness.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/10955559_10152952187546195_6944561485502889947_o.jpg

The new heat bed leads attached to the motherboard. Note the magnet core.

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10987403_10152952187601195_1813271287961266459_o.jpg

All done!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10866066_10152952290541195_5836977885229683521_o.jpg

One critical thing to note. The new borosilicate glass plate is a little thinner than the glass that was installed at the factory. I had to insert a tinfoil shim under the insulation pad to compensate. The shim was aprox. two feet of a standard roll folded back on itself and the four edges folded in on themselves two times. It doesn't have to be thick, just enough to compensate for the minor difference in plate thicknesses. I chose tinfoil because it can easily withstand repeated heating and cooling cycles.

Make sure you do not cover the thermistor (small brown plastic square at the rear of the platform) when you reinstall the insulation pad. The insulation pad is designed to slip under the thermistor at that spot.

Also make sure you don't forget to reinstall the two blue leads at the rear of the brackets, they are required to make the electrical connection between the extruder sensor tip and the platform during calibration. They attach directly to the screw and rest on top of each metal bracket in the rear corners.

I found that taking the right side panel off made getting at the wires a whole lot easier. It comes off easily by carefully unclipping it at the top and tilting it out towards you to free it from the retainers at the bottom.

Enjoy!

Win 8.1

Thanks for the excellent photos & notes! It will help a ton when I get around to installing this.

Don: Folger Tech 2020 Kossel Rev A + Borosilicate + Snow Effector
        Davinci 1.0 + Repetier : Filastruder
        SD3 + RAMPS + Lawsy Carriages + E3D + Borosilicate + ... : Cupcake

Thank you!

Win 8.1

PseudoShooter, is your bed (under the mat) flat or concave? I like your solution for the shim but I am dealing with a concave bed and wondering how you accounted for that (assuming you also have a concave bed).

Mine is concave with the lowest point in the middle. The doubled edges added the support around the perimeter so I guess it negates the concave effect in the middle. Another advantage of using the tinfoil is that it's malleable enough to conform to the space it's filling. It worked the first time so I was lucky I guess smile

Win 8.1

Awesome. I have been trying to come up with a solution for this and never thought to use tin foil. Thanks for the write up.

PseudoShooter wrote:

Note the magnet core.

Do you find that the Magnet core helps? I know that its used to reduce noise, but the only thing those cables do it for the thermistor and the auto calibration sensor. I would figure that the core wouldn't do much for these. That being said, it also doesn't hurt either.

43 (edited by PseudoShooter 2015-02-17 16:52:25)

I didn't install it, it was already on the wire bundle when I took the back off. I just removed it briefly to free up the heater wires.

Win 8.1

44 (edited by jdholbrook33 2015-02-25 02:49:51)

I've changed the listing from my personal account over to a dedicated account.
Easier to keep track of with dedicated email and eBay account.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251849084744?ss … 1555.l2649

New glass arrived and all the glass / heaters will be using the new glass. It's a tad bigger (209.5mm ish) so should be a little more snug.
I'm also including two tie wraps to help with the install.

Test glass for the Duo should be here any day.

James

P.S. I want to apologize to all who sent me a PM. I have to be doing something wrong. At times I get an email alerting me to a PM received and at times I don't get anything.
I've replied to them all just now.
I'll post my email address. 
jdholbrook33(at)yahoo.com
Again, My apologies.

Hey James

I've made a number of prints with your glass/heater and so far, it's been great. I have no adhesion issues and temps seem to be a little hotter.

I will have to find a better way to compensate for the slightly thinner glass as my tinfoil fix was pretty rudimentary
and I find the glass is getting loose again already.

I'm looking at getting a second bed so I can experiment further for a better, more permanent solution. I'll keep you posted.

Win 8.1

I know people are worried about the glass being a tad small.
If you look at the printing process there is no force being applied to the glass, nothing to make it move in the frame.
I have been experimenting with mine. One of my printers the glass is not moving, the other moves. In the printer that the glass moves my 25mm square blocks come out almost perfect (25.02 x 24.97 for example).

That being said, I did notice that the glass is a fraction lower than the clamps and this will cause a problem for those calibrating off of the clamps (built in calibration procedure). I noticed that my prints have a better first layer when I calibrate using the feeler gauge method.
To fix this I will order thicker glass in the future (3.3mm). A temporary fix - I hate those! - is to shim it a little in the corners.
I have been testing shim material and have found some high temp (400F) material in 0.7mm thickness that works great.
I will be including 4 squares of this in all future glass / heater.
In my testing I found no warping or distortion using the shims.

If you want a set of shims, email me your address at jdholbrook33 (at) yahoo.com and I'll mail them out to you.

Thanks for all the nice words and feedback up to this point.

James

I haven't had any problems with the glass moving during printing as yet. I may get some thin double face tape and put that between the plastic and the insulation pad. That should be enough to lift the glass into place.

I still use the clamp-sensor calibration method but I may switch to using gauges. I find that I only have to calibrate once in a blue moon since I switched to the new bed levelers.

Win 8.1

I recently purchased the glass and used the aluminum foil method.  I put the foil between the insulation pad and the frame and it has worked so far (2 prints).   I folded the foil so the new glass and foil matched the the original glass thickness (3.3mm) and then put it around the entire outer edge except near the thermistor.  Also for reference I calibrated with the autocalibrator and had no issues.

3D Printing since January 2015
https://www.thingiverse.com/okcazure/designs
Printer: Prusa MINI+
Previous printer: DaVinci 1.0

I replaced the stock fiberglass insulator with a sheet of 1/8" thick cork material.  This more than compensates for the thinner boro glass plate and keeps the heat in even more.  The plate heats up noticeably faster now than before.  You can get a large sheet of cork on Amazon for around $5-10.

I ordered the glass/heater on Friday and it arrived on Monday.  Including the zip ties was a nice touch. 

No problems with the glass fitting within the bed on my 1.0A.  I decided to not use the included shims and instead removed the plastic on the bed so the clips could clamp the glass.  Took about 7 minutes to do all 4 corners with a file.

Thanks for the quick shipping and putting a nice, complete package together.

Post's attachments

Bed-after.JPG
Bed-after.JPG 481.4 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

bed-before.JPG
bed-before.JPG 464.93 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.