Topic: Is anyone not having issues with the press?

Here, on facebook and reddit..everyone seems to have a ton of problems with their printer.

I am just wondering, is it worth it? is it taking a ton of time to get it up and running? I have been up in the air between this and a printbot metal and I settled for the press..

Just want an honest opinion while there is still time to cancel.

Re: Is anyone not having issues with the press?

The Press is a great machine, especially if you bought during the lower cost pre-sale.  I paid $350 for mine and am blown away with the construction quality.  Nothing else in that price range comes close.

When I first received my Press, it took me several days to get running smoothly.  You won't have that much work.  The knowledge on the forum is now sufficient for you to quickly overcome any out of box issues you may encounter.

thatdecade wrote:

The Press is a great machine, especially if you bought during the lower cost pre-sale.  I paid $350 for mine and am blown away with the construction quality.  Nothing else in that price range comes close.

When I first received my Press, it took me several days to get running smoothly.  You won't have that much work.  The knowledge on the forum is now sufficient for you to quickly overcome any out of box issues you may encounter.

I'll echo this. Based on both this forum and the two Press printers owned by me and a friend, everyone has to put at least -some- work into this thing to get it going. Took me a couple days of tweaking settings and learning the tricks to get consistently successful prints, but at $400 I'm not dissapointed. Even at $600, I think I'd be a little bit annoyed but still pretty happy.

A buddy of mine had a much more expensive Makerbot which he returned for a press. He said that it didn't have the same issues as the Press, but instead it had its own set of issues and took no less work to get going consistently. 3D printers in general are very mechanical devices and I think this is just the "nature of the beast". It's not a device that just makes something for you, but rather it's a tool that you can use to make things and like any tool there's a learning curve to understand how to use it. For me, it was about two or three days of tinkering before I was able to start getting consistently successful 3D prints as opposed to blobs of hard plastic stuck to the extruder.

From the webpage -

"The Solidoodle Press is a one-touch 3D printer designed to fit in your home. A consumer machine with no manual calibration required to get started. Just take it out of the box and start printing with our new SoliPrint software."

This is baloney.

5 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-28 21:30:59)

krel wrote:

From the webpage -

"The Solidoodle Press is a one-touch 3D printer designed to fit in your home. A consumer machine with no manual calibration required to get started. Just take it out of the box and start printing with our new SoliPrint software."

This is baloney.

The collection of rods, bearings, pulleys, nuts, bolts and motors I have bought to upgrade my SD4 totals more cost than the press so I don't know why you'd expect this to actually be the case. Think about it. Hardware is expensive. When it isn't, it's lower quality. I have yet to see a counter-example.

krel wrote:

From the webpage -

This is baloney.

Were you not able to do this? What calibration was required? Besides the wire bundle issue this printer is capable of printing right out of the box. How much more idiot proof do you need it to be?

The only printers I have ever used that printed perfect immediately after setup cost over 25k...and we expected them to at that price.

$600...you get what you pay for.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Don't get me wrong, I actually wasn't particularly surprised that I had to do a lot of fiddling to get the press working.  Their advertising is flat out deceptive though.

krel wrote:

From the webpage -

This is baloney.

Yeah, that is a complete load and I've literally used that quote from the website when describing the disconnect between their advertising and reality, but since it doesn't seem like there's a 3D printer out there that doesn't require at least as much work I don't feel that upset about it.

byshop303 wrote:
krel wrote:

From the webpage -

This is baloney.

Yeah, that is a complete load and I've literally used that quote from the website when describing the disconnect between their advertising and reality, but since it doesn't seem like there's a 3D printer out there that doesn't require at least as much work I don't feel that upset about it.

If SD had fixed the wire bundle issue and your printer shipped with no other issues what would you need to adjust before printing?

Filastruder

krel wrote:

Does need auto-calibration out of box before get printing.

The really dubious part is the "consumer machine".  While technically accurate, you still need experience operating a 3d printer to use the Press.

printing a 10x10x10mm cube, my measurements were approx 10.2x9.6x9.3 high.  my EEPROM settings for X, Y, Z are now 79.36, 80.65, 403.27, set via RH.  I also opened the bottom of the printer to adjust the pot for the extruder motor to (mostly) get rid of the moire.  Removing the internal filament tray gave me enough room so that the wire bundle is held up out of the way and doesn't get pinched anymore.

I'm not saying it's a bad printer for what it is, and I'm having fun messing with it, as my first foray into the world of 3D printing (aside from having a few pieces printed at places like Shapeways.)

thatdecade wrote:

While technically accurate, you still need experience operating a 3d printer to use the Press.

Not much. Id say the most complicated issue is loading filament. If they could automate this (like the pros) things would be really simple.

Filastruder

DePartedPrinter wrote:

If SD had fixed the wire bundle issue and your printer shipped with no other issues what would you need to adjust before printing?

No, I had a number of other manual tweaks. I had to up the temp on the extruder to reduce the instances of the filament stepper from skipping, slightly increase the z-offset, replace the 3x3mm stepper screw that fell out after 3 prints, up the bed temp by 5c to reduce the print from peeling up, figure out how to get the filament to feed consistently without jamming, and apply a glue stick to the glass before each print.

On top of all that, the wires from the motherboard to the bed heater came in contact with the bed during a print so now the bed no longer heats. I've got a ticket open with Solidoodle for a replacement but now I need to figure out how to keep that from happening again.