Topic: Adjustable Y Idlers - Reprise

A short while ago, mdrVB6 was looking for some adjustable "Y" idler block replacement, and I came up with a set which he printed and apparently is quite happy with.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=7360

meanwhile someone posted a simple fix for a problem I never knew was there, but it's quite real: flex in the metal frame, where the blocks are mounted.  The tension in the belt is actually tweaking the frame

http://www.soliforum.com/post/78701/#p78701

The fix is simple enough, but I thought I'd give it a try with a different way to solve the problem that also combines the adjustable idler in the design

This new block replaces the stock idler block, and also requires 3 holes in the frame.  2 holes are to be drille, the other one, requires the removal of the pressed-in PEM nut.  The total adjustment offered device is 6mm. 

What makes this different than the original design, is that it fits in the corner of the frame, and provides the stiffness needed to prevent the aforementioned frame tweaking.  The slots on the top and side are there to accommodate the pop rivets the frame is put together with.

Here are some views of the drawing, and a printed sample:

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=7610

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=7611

Post's attachments

Y Belt Adjustable Idler - 001.jpg
Y Belt Adjustable Idler - 001.jpg 126.79 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Y Belt Adjustable Idler - 002.jpg
Y Belt Adjustable Idler - 002.jpg 133.06 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

2 (edited by mdrVB6 2015-01-28 13:33:15)

Re: Adjustable Y Idlers - Reprise

Very nice, again!  I was going to pop them off to re-lube tonight because apparently the first coat of lube I put in there wore off pretty quick and it developed a fairly loud squeek, so I will try this version too.  If I am understanding correctly, it just slides into the top and side frame instead of just the side, right?  Then line it up and drill the holes.  Can we get the STL's please?

The metal frame flex was obvious when I first installed these.  FYI, it is very easy to over tension your belts with these and induce Y- skip.  One time I did it so much the printer didn't move at all in the Y direction and just made a horrible grinding noise when i started it up.  So I backed off about 1.5 turns and it was fine after that.

To eliminate the flex, I was going to try these with an idler bar across the front of the machine next, but this might be a cleaner way to eliminate the flex.  I might loose a little print area off the front of the bed like that.  I've got a couple more 6mm bore GT2 pulleys on the way and I have several lengths of 6mm shaft and I was going to print a collar to install next to the pulley holders to keep everything in place.  I was going to just scale up the first generation of these brackets by 1.2 in the Z axis to fit the 6mm shaft in there.  Anyway I could also get a version of these gen 2 idler holders sized for a 6mm shaft in case I want to try that combination?

Also, for anyone who is afraid to knock out the PEM nut or drill into their printer- don't be, its very easy. 
1.  Remove the existing brackets.  Unfortunately, Solidoodle seems to glue them in. One screw came out with significant effort, the other was stripped.  So I had break the existing mount and cut the bolt with my dremel.
2.  Take the paint scraper you use for removing prints from the bed, grab a hammer and gently tap down on the top of the nut, right next to the frame.  It will pop right out.
3.  Then line up the new bracket, mark the holes, and drill away.  You can even start the drill with the part still in there.

Edit: redbarret mentioned something in the other thread that I think got overlooked: if the bracket also touches the outer (left and right) sides of the frame as well, then it is distributing the load to 3 corners and should provide the most rigidity.  Do these do that?  I'm not at home to look at my printer with the first gen adjustable idlers on it.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

mdrVB6 wrote:

Also, for anyone who is afraid to ... drill into their printer- don't be, its very easy.

Well, if you have nice sharp drill bits, anyway :-).

4 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-28 15:00:32)

Heh, I actually just went away from adjustable idlers and put on the overkill idlers on thingiverse. If you tighten the collars correctly, the frame does not flex and you do not need the idlers to support it. I don't know about hose clamps. The adjustable idlers on my SD4 were actually a serious source of lash. I like the design of these better because the pulley can't tilt, and it is supported at the rear instead of the front. The deflection on the stock SD4 idlers is significant enough that I'd be surprised if anyone ever eliminates Y lash using them.

For anyone curious about how to properly tighten the collars so the frame doesn't flex, there's a little more to it than shown in the video. You need to loosen the front collar, push the rod back against the (tightened) rear collar, and then push the front collar into the frame using pliers. Then, tighten the set screw. It's easier if someone can help. I even pushed my weight into the frame so that the frame is really pinched into that front idler. I can tell you that doing this, the frame is far from flimsy. The rods are supposed to support the frame.

You can tell when the collars are too loose because the belts will tend to rotate a bit along the Y axis when direction changes.

mdrVB6 wrote:

Very nice, again!  I was going to pop them off to re-lube tonight because apparently the first coat of lube I put in there wore off pretty quick and it developed a fairly loud squeek, so I will try this version too.  If I am understanding correctly, it just slides into the top and side frame instead of just the side, right?  Then line it up and drill the holes.  Can we get the STL's please?

The metal frame flex was obvious when I first installed these.  FYI, it is very easy to over tension your belts with these and induce Y- skip.  One time I did it so much the printer didn't move at all in the Y direction and just made a horrible grinding noise when i started it up.  So I backed off about 1.5 turns and it was fine after that.

To eliminate the flex, I was going to try these with an idler bar across the front of the machine next, but this might be a cleaner way to eliminate the flex.  I might loose a little print area off the front of the bed like that.  I've got a couple more 6mm bore GT2 pulleys on the way and I have several lengths of 6mm shaft and I was going to print a collar to install next to the pulley holders to keep everything in place.  I was going to just scale up the first generation of these brackets by 1.2 in the Z axis to fit the 6mm shaft in there.  Anyway I could also get a version of these gen 2 idler holders sized for a 6mm shaft in case I want to try that combination?

Also, for anyone who is afraid to knock out the PEM nut or drill into their printer- don't be, its very easy. 
1.  Remove the existing brackets.  Unfortunately, Solidoodle seems to glue them in. One screw came out with significant effort, the other was stripped.  So I had break the existing mount and cut the bolt with my dremel.
2.  Take the paint scraper you use for removing prints from the bed, grab a hammer and gently tap down on the top of the nut, right next to the frame.  It will pop right out.
3.  Then line up the new bracket, mark the holes, and drill away.  You can even start the drill with the part still in there.

Edit: redbarret mentioned something in the other thread that I think got overlooked: if the bracket also touches the outer (left and right) sides of the frame as well, then it is distributing the load to 3 corners and should provide the most rigidity.  Do these do that?  I'm not at home to look at my printer with the first gen adjustable idlers on it.

I'm at work at the moment, so I don't have access to my drawings, but I'll post the STLs later tonight, including a version made for you (mdrVB6), since you have the thicker frame.  Anyway, if I hear you correctly you want to use 6mm shaft and idlers instead of the standard 5mm that are already present.

If that is the case, I wouldn't scale the part, just drill out the holes to 6mm instead.  scaling the whole piece will misalign it with respect to the frame;  the slotted holes for the rivets will be out of whack, the alignment of the belt with respect to the carriages will be out, etc.  This piece is really meant to fit inside the corner with very little wiggle room.

The thicker frame piece is actually for my future printer, which is still in fabrication but thanks, it will be used eventually.  Yes, I want to run a 6mm shaft across the entire front from idler to idler.  I think it might help avoid flex.

I was talking about scaling the gen 1 idlers that you posted in the other thread, not these ones.  These obviously cannot be scaled because they align on the corner too.  And I was only going to scale in the Z direction only, not overall.  That way it should not really mess with the hole alignment, just make them a little taller so I could fit the 6mm shaft in there.  But if you wanted to make me a 6mm version too, I wouldn't turn it down. smile

I'm thinking that if I drill out either piece for 6mm, then it might be too weak since there is already not a lot of extra material in there. 

PS: when you did the alternate belt tension carriages, did you use the nut trap pieces or the threaded into plastic version?  I used the nut trap pieces and it was perfect.

7 (edited by redbarret 2015-01-28 17:50:38)

mdrVB6 wrote:

Edit: redbarret mentioned something in the other thread that I think got overlooked: if the bracket also touches the outer (left and right) sides of the frame as well, then it is distributing the load to 3 corners and should provide the most rigidity.

It's an easy edit if it doesn't.

This is a pretty cool design from pirvan as always. Solidoodle should really hire him for designing the next "tinkerer" version of the printer.

But I think you guys are exaggerating the effect of flexing of the frame/front idler to backlash. I think it's miniscule. Rather than theorizing , I've tried flexing the frame from side to side while its printing a calibration model (circles) and I noticed even the ridiculous amount of flexing doesn't make any difference to amount of backlash to me.
Same goes to flexing the frame the Y motor is on.
It's a good idea to get rid of any play, but I don't think you should have high hopes for it for fixing your backlash problems.
I'll be glad to be proven wrong though.

In my opinion the backlash issue on SD3/4 is mostly caused by the short looped belt. MXL belt teeth just deform in the MXL pulleys at the high tensions on those pulleys and cause backlash when changing directions.
This is why the GT2 pulleys and belts are better with their round teeth, not trapezoidal, according to the RepRap wiki and some other sources.
And it is not an issue at  lower tensions, that's why people upgrading to direct drive and leaving the other MXL pulleys/belts don't seem to have backlash anymore, I think.
I'll know for sure after my GT2 belt/pulleys arrive and I test it.

But back to topic, this is a neat idea of adjustable Y idler compared to the stock SD4 one.

Solidoodle 4

redbarret wrote:
mdrVB6 wrote:

Edit: redbarret mentioned something in the other thread that I think got overlooked: if the bracket also touches the outer (left and right) sides of the frame as well, then it is distributing the load to 3 corners and should provide the most rigidity.

Solidoodle should really hire him for designing the next "tinkerer" version of the printer.

They couldn't afford me... wink

9 (edited by pirvan 2015-01-28 21:31:09)

mdrVB6 wrote:

Yes, I want to run a 6mm shaft across the entire front from idler to idler.  I think it might help avoid flex.

It might, but you will now have to make sure both ends are adjusted identically, to keep the bar perfectly parallel to the front of the frame.  What this implies is that the left and right belts are already equally pre-tensioned.  Because if one belt is a little loose (compared to the other), when the rod is aligned, the belt tension won't be equal, and if you tension the belts so both are equally tensioned, the rod will be misaligned.

Not an ideal solution.

mdrVB6 wrote:

I'm thinking that if I drill out either piece for 6mm, then it might be too weak since there is already not a lot of extra material in there.

There's plenty of meat in the adjustment/sliding block, so drilling out the holes from 5 to 6mm is fine.  The sides of the main body act as a guide for the rod/screw and there's no tension in them.  They could be 1mm thin and still work OK.  All the tension is in the sliding block, and the adjustment screw.

mdrVB6 wrote:

PS: when you did the alternate belt tension carriages, did you use the nut trap pieces or the threaded into plastic version?  I used the nut trap pieces and it was perfect.

Yep (Nuts R Us).

Here is how they mount in the frame:

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=7633

And here are the STL's.  This is a complete layout.  I split off the back face of the piece to make it easy to print.  Once printed you can glue the back plate to the back of the main body, or if you don't want to bother with it, you don't have to.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=7640

The "Y Belt sprocket holder - Alt (mdrVB6) (back plate only).st" is uniquely for mdrVB6 since he has an thicker (2.75mm) frame.

NOTE: This part was designed around the GT2 idler pulleys, which are slightly narrower (shorter) than the stock MXL.  As such you'll find that you may need to do some filing to accommodate the MXL pulley and have it spin freely.

Post's attachments

Y Belt Adjustable Idler - 003.jpg
Y Belt Adjustable Idler - 003.jpg 210.35 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Y Belt Adjustable Idler - 004.jpg
Y Belt Adjustable Idler - 004.jpg 45.84 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Y Belt sproket holder - Alt (Layout).stl 1.1 mb, 42 downloads since 2015-01-29 

Y Belt sproket holder - Alt (mdrVB6) (back plate only).stl 331.92 kb, 14 downloads since 2015-01-29 

Cool, thanks for the files.  I will get it printed and install it in a week or so when my idler pulley get in.  I assume you just mirror the part in repetier to get both sides?

The layout already contains the normal & mirrored (left & right) parts.

Gotcha.  I didn't open it since I was on my work computer w/o repetier.

I was exited to find these idler for my SD4, since the original idlers are horrible and the frame seems a bit flimsy. But, these don't seem to fit SD4? Just printed the left one yesterday, but it seems SD4 would need a taller idler to reach the top of the frame, and there's also the door hinges that are screwed to the frame that'd need cut-outs on the the left hand idler.

So I'm wondering, does anybody have a version of these idlers that's modified to fit SD4?

Thanks in advance,

veehoo

Sorry, but I don't have an SD4 so I can't help you there. 

They were designed for my SD3, so they should fit most, if not all SD3.

No worries, I get it and was more asking if someone had a modified version. Thank's for the idea, I may try to modify it to fit my printer if no one has done it yet.

17 (edited by rsantos 2016-02-27 14:40:53)

A bit off topic, but sometimes I get sad seeing the quality of prints for the SD upgrades out there but the pics here gives me hope smile (They were printed on a SD right?  smile ).  I bought a "broken" SD4 that was not broken at all, just incredibly out of calibration and I am about to print a full plate of upgrades (including this one)... but with my Graber Prusa I3 for now...

- Graber/Prusa I3 remix - Arduino Mega/Ramps 1.4 - Upgrades: Auto Bed Leveling, PEI bed, All Metal E3D V6, Filament detector
- Alted's MPCNC - 24" X 24" plate - Arduino Mega/Ramps 1.4 - DeWalt 660, TFT28 display
- Solidoodle 4 -  with Y axis Dual Motor Drive (own design), Lawsy carriage remix, chrome hardened smooth rods, bed stabilizer, GT2 belts
http://www.thingiverse.com/3dEz/about

There is no reason you can't achieve excellent results with the proper modifications on your SD4.
Reach out to users heartless and jagowilson, both run SD4's and their prints are fantastic.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Sorry I didn't want to sound pessimistic. I know I can reach these results as I built 2 printers (Graber and MPCNC) from scratch and this one is no different, except for the realization on how good the other 2 are compared to a finished commercial product. Obviously it took me a lot of time (=money) to get them there.

- Graber/Prusa I3 remix - Arduino Mega/Ramps 1.4 - Upgrades: Auto Bed Leveling, PEI bed, All Metal E3D V6, Filament detector
- Alted's MPCNC - 24" X 24" plate - Arduino Mega/Ramps 1.4 - DeWalt 660, TFT28 display
- Solidoodle 4 -  with Y axis Dual Motor Drive (own design), Lawsy carriage remix, chrome hardened smooth rods, bed stabilizer, GT2 belts

Nothing in your first post sounded pessimistic, more like realistic.  You'll fit in nicely here, lots of great folks here.  Just let us know how we can help.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

rsantos - Welcome to the club. smile

we bought our 1st SD4 used, and had to do a lot of calibration to get it to print decently. Then the USB failed on the board and we had to make some major changes to the machine... over the last year it has gone through some serious mods but it is my favorite these days out of 4...

Adjusting the collars against the frame of the SD4 is almost a must.

I use a Y idler bracket of my own design - one that allowed me to put bearings in for the 5mm screw to ride on (requires a set screw in the pulley) I also use the Lawsy carriages - belt tensioning is done from those, so no need of an adjustable Y idler. (file is attached if you would like to give them a try - it is modeled around a common RC bearing 5x11x5 (S685 series) of which I had plenty on hand) you can print 2 as is, or print one mirrored if you like - doesn't matter - it should work either way.

Post's attachments

Y block bearings v2.stl 309.83 kb, 17 downloads since 2016-02-27 

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless, very cool. Will definitely try your idler. I have also checked your prints as per the Moderator's suggestions and they are definitely high quality so feeling a lot better now smile

yeah, took me a little work to get there, but I am quite happy with #1... now to get #2 up to speed... never ending struggle with 4 printers to tinker with, LOL

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Sorry, just seeing this now.  I modified these idlers to fit the stock holes on an SD4.  I'll post it from home later on but if I forget, shoot me a PM to remind me.  They work great.

25 (edited by rsantos 2016-03-02 14:59:37)

redbarret wrote:

And it is not an issue at  lower tensions, that's why people upgrading to direct drive and leaving the other MXL pulleys/belts don't seem to have backlash anymore, I think.
I'll know for sure after my GT2 belt/pulleys arrive and I test it.

I am also installing GT2's with 16T pulleys. MXL's are not good for linear motion and produce backlash. This can be partially compensated by software (hysteresis), as Ultimakers do, but it not the best starting point. Good reading here (jump to 4.4 in the doc):
http://www.sdp-si.com/D265/PDF/D265T008.pdf
To adjust the steps for GT2 depending on pulley (16T or 20T), stepper angle, and driver micro stepping here is the calculator:
http://prusaprinters.org/calculator/
SD's use 1.8 degree motors, 1/16 micro stepping so you only need to worry about the number of teeth on the pulley -- 16T or 20T, really does not matter much which one you buy, but the idler should have the same number. Also, since I am replacing the belts and pulleys I decided it would be better to get real idlers (http://www.amazon.com/3D-CAM-Aluminum-B … =gt2+idler)  instead of converting the pulleys to idlers by adding the bearings.