Re: Initial Issues with the SD Press & How to Fix Them.

bjarte.pettersen wrote:

Issue: Nothing happens when you press print on Soliprint.
Cause: Bad programming?
Fix: Go to Control panel, clock language and region. Change all settings to United States.

This concerns people with windows on a different language than US. Atleast it looks that way to me.
I do not know if the same problem is on Mac, since i do not have a Mac.

Yes, it works!

Still no z-offset calibration (I succeed to modify it changing the value in the window, but the process script don't run), but it prints now! Thank you smile

sickman75 wrote:

Yes, it works!

Still no z-offset calibration (I succeed to modify it changing the value in the window, but the process script don't run), but it prints now! Thank you smile

Yes, you still have to use 1.0 if you want to use calibration.

I got the tip from someone in a norwegian forum, so i thank him:)
He said it's something that were normal back in the old days.

bjarte.pettersen wrote:
sickman75 wrote:

Yes, it works!

Yes, you still have to use 1.0 if you want to use calibration.

I got the tip from someone in a norwegian forum, so i thank him:)
He said it's something that were normal back in the old days.

Oh my… thanks! With version 1.0 works everything! Thanks so much!

Hi, thanks to everyone on this forum, after days of messing around pulling my hair out I have finally got a print off the Press. Just thought I'd also throw in my 'steps to printing success' based on the main things I've done to make it happen

1. Use an elastic band to secure the cord to the extruder head out of the way – as suggested and explained in the first post.

2. When installing SoliPrint, you will need to manually install drivers if you are using Windows 8.1. Download from Solidoodle Support.

3. Don’t bother printing onto the glass plate without some sort of adhesive – water soluble glue, hair spray, tape, acetone + ABS mixture… it’s up to you. I’m trying perforated PCB’s at the moment, but don’t want to claim them successful or not without much more printing (although so far so good).

4. When you start a print, be at the ready to manually pop the auto-calibration tool up and down – it’s better to be safe than sorry! I posted some videos caught when this failed to happen on Youtube, just search for Solidoodle Press Nozzle Collision' and 'Solidoodle Press Auto Level Collision.'

5. Don’t rely on what you see on screen in SoliPrint – while you might move your model to a certain location, it will still always print in the center of the plate unless you move it within the Slic3r Options menu. You can also only print 1 STL file at a time (seriously? Come on Solidoodle).

6. Try the Slic3r settings in my attached image – these are the settings from my first successful print. Perhaps the main one is the nozzle temperature as I feel the default 215 degrees is simply too low for ABS plastic – the Up! Plus 2 uses 260 degrees, possibly allowing the plastic to flow more smoothly. I think somewhere in between (230 degrees) is a good middle ground, at least to begin with. Also I have slowed the printing speeds down to give the plastic a good chance to adhere – at full speed things are really moving fast and shaking around.

Post's attachments

150210 First Success Edit.jpg 344.24 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

55 (edited by domas 2015-02-11 10:22:49)

Possible alternative and better fix for probe deployment/cable bundle issue:
Bend cable bundle to the right side when closing top cover.

I noticed that  when cable bundle is bent to the left side it sinks down and blocks way for probe deployment. I also had this issue at the beginning. After bending it to the right, I had no more issues with cable bundle what so ever. No need for other hacks like rubber band or spring.

Right now my cable stays in that position even when top cover is opened. I can post some photos when I get back home from work. But this photo should be enough to illustrate what I mean: Solidoodle Press at CES (from some YouTube video) has cable bundle leaning to the right side as well.

Could someone else try to replicate my "fix"?

Edit: Looking at Ray Steel's YouTube video, looks like his cable bundle is also on the right side. So not sure, if I was just lucky, that my printer works without any rubber band fix... youtube watch?v=A44Nos4axh4

Post's attachments

Solidoodle Press CES 2015.png
Solidoodle Press CES 2015.png 780.61 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Mine was initially bent left and I bent it right but I still had a rubber band holding it up just in case.

57 (edited by skyefire 2015-02-13 01:00:28)

mwille wrote:

@skyefire, if you get a chance would you post a screen shot of your Z-Offset Calibration screen?

Sorry, been working too many hours to get back to the Press.  I took a screenshot.  One thing is that this shot is taken after I manually set the "Initial Offset" and "New Z Offset" values to 0 -- the moment I hit the "Start Calibration" button, both values jump back to 5 and I can't do a thing about it.

Post's attachments

SDP Z Axis Calibration Screen.png 27.59 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

android78 wrote:

So the next time you calibrate, what are you seeing in the 'Initial Z-Offset' field in the top-left of the form?
Are you clicking on the 'Set New Z-Offset' button after updating the offset? 
Also, Have you tried to change the offset using the checkboxes?  I think that if you run it multiple times and select the 'Set New Z-Offset' each time then you should be able to gradually change the offset.

I did find the actual gcode (well, it'd an m-code, wouldn't it?) so that I can adjust from repetier, but don't have it on hand right now.  You can work it out by enabling the log file before updating the new offset and have a look at the codes being sent.  Maybe you can manually change it that way... or maybe somehow you can see that gcode being sent to the printer with 5 to reset it?

Finally got a chance to look at this again -- work's been eating all my time.

When I calibrate, the values jump to 5.  Even if I manually set them to 0, and yes, I hit the "Set Offset" button.  Multiple times.  It doesn't matter -- the moment I hit the "start calibration" button, the values jump back to 5.  The multi-point bed probing goes fine, but as soon as the print starts, the extruder goes 2mm through the bed.  I can't use the check boxes, b/c I need to make a 2mm change at minimum, and the check boxes only go to 0.05mm. 

I've attached a screenshot of the screen just after finishing the "probe" part of the Z-axis calibration -- I had to kill the Press before it smashed the extruder into the bed again.

Okay, progress, I think.  Another thread mentioned using M851 to manually re-write the Z axis offset.  Once I did that, I was able to run the Z-axis calibration without smashing the nozzle through the bed.

Also, I figured out one thing I'd been doing wrong -- the checkboxes only go down to 0.05mm if the Fine Tuning box is checked.  Which I kept checking, b/c it was the only way to get the lower-left 'New Z Offset' box to become writable.

Still no idea why I couldn't get the initial Z offset value to change without resorting to manual M851, but once I did that and was able to get the Z-axis calibration to work, I *seem* to be able to print -- I have a test print running now.

One thing that stands out, though -- the nozzle has been smashing into the bed for so long, my bed is now seriously bent.  But the Z-axis calibration seems to be taking care of that -- I can see the bed moving up and down in sync with the Y-axis moves.  It's quite interesting to watch, although I wonder about the possible side effects of Z-axis backlash with all the up-and-down motion.

Here's a question:  now that I (fingers crossed) have the Z-axis issue worked out, is the bed levelling resident in firmware?  That is, if I switch to RH or S3D, will the bed leveling be retained?  If I can't get the software bed leveling to work with other software, I'll be stuck with SoliPrint (ugh) for the forseeable future, because I don't see any way to physically level this bed, bent as it is, short of trying to bend the entire assembly back up.

skyefire wrote:

Here's a question:  now that I (fingers crossed) have the Z-axis issue worked out, is the bed levelling resident in firmware?  That is, if I switch to RH or S3D, will the bed leveling be retained?  If I can't get the software bed leveling to work with other software, I'll be stuck with SoliPrint (ugh) for the forseeable future, because I don't see any way to physically level this bed, bent as it is, short of trying to bend the entire assembly back up.

Yes, G29 will level the bed. BTW, with RH or pretty much another other software, you'll want to make zoffset physically correct. The usual route to improving adhesion is to extrude a little extra plastic on the first layer. The SP z tool instead, has you make the first layer shorter than the slicer knows about.

skyefire wrote:

Yes, G29 will level the bed. BTW, with RH or pretty much another other software, you'll want to make zoffset physically correct. The usual route to improving adhesion is to extrude a little extra plastic on the first layer. The SP z tool instead, has you make the first layer shorter than the slicer knows about.

ISSUE:  A knocking/thumping sound is coming from the extruder stepper. 
CAUSE:  This is because the grub/set screw on the hobbed gear can be loose.
FIX: Check that it is aligned with the flat part of the shaft & tighten it with a 1.5mm wrench.  If you move the wires on the left (where the probe is) you can access it through the heat sink fins.  If it is missing, Solidoodle confirmed that it is an m3 x 3 set screw.

maybe im wrong, and would love a picture if someone could provide one.  but i see no way in hell to get access to the set screw that holds the gear on the stepper motor shaft.

jonzerb wrote:

maybe im wrong, and would love a picture if someone could provide one.  but i see no way in hell to get access to the set screw that holds the gear on the stepper motor shaft.

It's a really tight fit through the fins, hard to lline up, and easy to pinch the wires. Much easier to spend haf a buck at the local hardware for a dedicated  wrench and grind the short end down to fit front the front. If you don't have a grinding wheel: at a good hardware, the service counter will be happy to do it. Takes but a few seconds.

64 (edited by jonzerb 2015-02-14 18:38:51)

Edit.

Im an asshole and forgot that people refer to Allen keys as Allen wrenches, thus my confusion. Lol. Thanks for the advice.

Ugh I pretty much give up on this SOLIDOODLE press. Every time I try to print ANYTHING the nozzle keeps hitting the boundaries of the X axis and the Y axis. I don't know what to do anymore. It makes a concerning noise that's obviously throwing the calibration off. None of the slicer settings have been modified. Using the stock version of SoliPrint.

It seems that the printer thinks the head is somewhere that it's not. Help.

Ugh I pretty much give up on this SOLIDOODLE press. Every time I try to print ANYTHING the nozzle keeps hitting the boundaries of the X axis and the Y axis. I don't know what to do anymore. It makes a concerning noise that's obviously throwing the calibration off. None of the slicer settings have been modified. Using the stock version of SoliPrint.

It seems that the printer thinks the head is somewhere that it's not. Help.

vansbutsneakers wrote:

Ugh I pretty much give up on this SOLIDOODLE press.

I hear ya. I know that they are up to their eyeballs in customer complaints and tech questions... but that is the business. If you want to offer a product and make promises, you have to make good on your word. I think I could deal with the issues (as this technology is still rather new) if their customer service wasn't so comically terrible.

I am seriously considering returning it and getting a Robo 3D Printer.

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
- Mark Twain... maybe.

I can't stress enough:

BUY Simplify3D.  The Press hardware is pretty great and for the price, it's a steal.

What you're experiencing are software problems easily solved with either S3D (if you're willing to shell out the coin) or learning RH/G-code.  It's a matter of what's important to you: your time/energy/frustration or a bit of money?

Once I gave up on SoliPrint, I was able to get great prints from my Press with S3D.  If you can get over having to shell out $150 for the software, you'll be incredibly happy with your machine.  I had already purchased S3D for my MakerBot, so the decision had already been made a long-time ago.

S3D is superior to every piece of 3D printing software I've used.  And it got my significantly better prints off my Replicator than I thought was even possible.  Nearly everyone I've shown the software has gone and bought it afterwards.

worldburger wrote:

I can't stress enough:

BUY Simplify3D.  The Press hardware is pretty great and for the price, it's a steal.

Thank you... once I fix my hardware problems (loose wires feeding the extruder carriage) I just might try it.

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
- Mark Twain... maybe.

If anyone has it and a Press, I'd love to see it all work together

Rochey wrote:

If anyone has it and a Press, I'd love to see it all work together

Go to Simplify3D's page and investigate.  It works the same for all FDM 3D printers.

If you're serious about using your 3D printer, it'll be the best money you've ever spent and it will unleash so much potential for your machine(s) and save you plenty of headaches.  The improvement in print quality was worth it alone.

Let Solidoodle excel at what they are good at: relatively cost-effective hardware design.
Let Simplify3D do what they do: make easy to use and superior software (better than Solidoodle, MakerBot, et al).

worldburger wrote:

I can't stress enough:

What you're experiencing are software problems easily solved with either S3D (if you're willing to shell out the coin) or learning RH/G-code.  It's a matter of what's important to you: your time/energy/frustration or a bit of money?

Once I gave up on SoliPrint, I was able to get great prints from my Press with S3D.  If you can get over having to shell out $150 for the software, you'll be incredibly happy with your machine.  I had already purchased S3D for my MakerBot, so the decision had already been made a long-time ago.

S3D is superior to every piece of 3D printing software I've used.  And it got my significantly better prints off my Replicator than I thought was even possible.  Nearly everyone I've shown the software has gone and bought it afterwards.

this gentlemen speaks the truth, and im on of those "everyones hes shown the software to".  really a no brainer, ESPECIALLY if you think this will not be your last 3d printer, its not like the software is only model specific that youre purchasing.

It's a shame simplify3d doesn't have a trial version.  It would be really tempting to buy it if it really works as well as you guys are reporting.

I BELIEVE, but I may be wrong and/or the thread may have been really old, I read somewhere if you email them they will set you up with a trial.

So rather new to 3d printing, but how does Simplify3D compare to other software like RH and Slic3r?