Re: Initial Issues with the SD Press & How to Fix Them.

When I've experienced issues with the Z-axis crashing, I've needed to power off the press and restart the software before it would properly re-calibrate.  Have you power cycled the Press?

Many times.  Makes no difference.  The crash is 100% consistent on *any* attempt to print.  Performing a manual G0 Z0 also produces the collision, and by the same amount.  My best guess at the moment is that there's something wrong with the firmware's offset value between the height of the Z Home sensor and the height of the extruder.  But that doesn't explain why the Fine Tuning value appears to have no effect whatsoever.

skyefire wrote:

Is anyone having an issue where the Z-axis probing *works,* but then the extruder tried to punch through the bed as soon as you try to *print* anything?  I'm having this happen with every print attempt, and it even happens when I run the Z-axis calibration program in SoliPrint (I haven't had time to try RH yet).  Video here: youtube.com/watch?v=m0rgiUxy50k
Jogging manually out of the collision, it looks like I have a roughly 1.9mm overshoot of the extruder "through" the bed.  I tried adding a large (5mm) Fine Tuning offset in the Z-axis Calibration window, but it didn't have any affect -- Any print attempt gave the same collision.

You want to use a lower offset.  By default mine uses a 5mm offset and,when I run the z-offset calibration, the lines to the left  of center (the <5mm offsets) are too far from the bed, and the lines to the right (>5mm offsets) are too close causing the head to eventually collide with the bed.

That's not the problem I have, though.  The Z-axis calibration, when run on its own, starts with a ~3.8mm offset generated by the bed probing, before the printing of the calibration lines, and it still collides by 1.9mm.  When I put a 5mm offset into the Fine Tuning box, the bed and extruder still collide by 1.9mm -- putting even these large values into the Fine Tuning box has no visible effect on the collision, to reduce it or make it worse.

skyefire wrote:

That's not the problem I have, though.  The Z-axis calibration, when run on its own, starts with a ~3.8mm offset generated by the bed probing, before the printing of the calibration lines, and it still collides by 1.9mm.  When I put a 5mm offset into the Fine Tuning box, the bed and extruder still collide by 1.9mm -- putting even these large values into the Fine Tuning box has no visible effect on the collision, to reduce it or make it worse.

Sounds like a sign error (negative vs positive).

Solidoodle Press
SolidWorks 2014

Still can't get SoliPrint to find my Press no matter what I do... Any tips?  I'm on OSX btw.

Codum wrote:
skyefire wrote:

Sounds like a sign error (negative vs positive).

Lowering the offset value increases the gap between the glass plate and extruder for me.  This is my first 3D printer but I assume that while the first instinct might be to think that increasing the number increases the gap, what's really going on is that you're tweaking an offset value with respect to the bottom of the printer as the origin (makes sense).  So a lower offset number means place it closer to the bottom of the printer thus the gap is actually larger.

I initially went through the mistake of trying to increase the gap by increasing the offset value and yeah it just jammed the nozzle against the plate.

skyefire wrote:

5mm is greater than 3.8mm, USE LOWER VALUES NOT HIGHER.  Set your offset to 0mm and see what happens.

Well, it's been a week since I posted the video (see previous post), as requested by Solidoodle tech support.  And not a single reply since.  I've pinged them several times, to no avail.  Is anyone else getting *ZERO* support from Solidoodle?

35 (edited by scruffybob 2015-02-01 05:44:31)

ISSUE:  Extruder stepper going thump, thump, thump but not turning.
CAUSE:  The wiring bundle going to the extruder get frayed and breaks,
FIX:  Resolder the wires on the connector on the top of the extruder stepper

This is a problem that multiple people have seen and at least three of us have fixed it the same way, so it looks like a design/manufacturing defect.   The connector to the extruder stepper motor is so tight that moving back and forward strains the wires until they break.  Since the connector is held by insulation of the wire, it may not be obvious that the connection has failed.   The only way to test is to use a multimeter to make sure that the wire is unbroken from the motherboard connector to the extruder motor connector.

This was first diagnosed by Eric Albert (thank you very much):   http://renaissance-engineer.net/2015/01 … epic-fail/ but has been seen by at least four other Press owners.

I've attached a copy of Eric's picture of the extruder stepper motor connector and circled the place where the wires are likely to break.

Note that you'll have to readjust all of the trimpots after you fix the connector.   For some reason, as soon as I reconnected the broken power cable, all of the other stepper motor voltages changed dramatically, so I had to readjust the trimpots.

As a answer to a separate questions I've seen about a dozen times already, I was told by Solidoodle tech support that the approximate stepper trimpot voltages should be:

X: 1.0v
Y: 1.0v
Z: 1.0v
E: 1.5v

Post's attachments

dsc01940 - extruder connector.jpg
dsc01940 - extruder connector.jpg 64.64 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-02-01 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

cptskippy wrote:
skyefire wrote:

5mm is greater than 3.8mm, USE LOWER VALUES NOT HIGHER.  Set your offset to 0mm and see what happens.

Does nothing.  Even taking the offset all the way down to 0 (it won't go negative) generates NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL in how the Z axis is zero'd.  Performing a manual G0 Z2 brings the extruder just barely into contact with the bed.  Changing the offset to 5mm results in exactly the same behavior.  The Fine Tuning value does nothing, at all, whatsoever.

skyefire wrote:

Does nothing.  Even taking the offset all the way down to 0 (it won't go negative) generates NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL in how the Z axis is zero'd.  Performing a manual G0 Z2 brings the extruder just barely into contact with the bed.  Changing the offset to 5mm results in exactly the same behavior.  The Fine Tuning value does nothing, at all, whatsoever.

What software are you using to print with?  I was having issues with repetier until I added G29 to do the autolevel routine.  You can tell if it's missing as it will do a single probe in the middle of the bed.  If this is off track, please excuse me as I'm a noob.

skyefire wrote:
cptskippy wrote:
skyefire wrote:

Are you doing a home/autolevel (G28, G29) after each zoffset adjustment? zoffset parameter gets used during autolevel.

39 (edited by skyefire 2015-02-03 23:59:58)

I'm not doing manual Gcode commands during the Z axis calibration-- I'm just using SoliPrint's "Z axis calibration" screen.  Every time the Z axis calibration runs, the offset gets set back to 5mm no matter what I type into the New Z Offset box (I keep calling it the Fine Tuning box, which is wrong, argh).
If I do a Home All after manually adjusting the New Z Offset, the extruder still tries to drive 2mm through the bed.  Performing a manual G0 Z0 does the same thing -- a manual G0 Z2 produces almost exactly the right height for first layer print, but the extruder keeps smashing through the bed, by 2mm every time, no matter what values I try in the New Z Offset entry.

When I tried RepetierHost, it air printed several mm off the bed, and I don't know RH well enough to try manually tuning it out.  Besides, I'm not sure it'll work anyway -- all these massive collisions have now bent my print bed down so that the front edge is ~5mm lower than the back edge. 

I'm at the end of my rope, here.  I've been devoting most of my spare time for the last 3 weekends trying to get somewhere, *anywhere* with this, and Solidoodle stopped responding to my open support ticket 11 days ago -- ironically enough, right after I posted the Youtube video *at their request.*

So the next time you calibrate, what are you seeing in the 'Initial Z-Offset' field in the top-left of the form?
Are you clicking on the 'Set New Z-Offset' button after updating the offset? 
Also, Have you tried to change the offset using the checkboxes?  I think that if you run it multiple times and select the 'Set New Z-Offset' each time then you should be able to gradually change the offset.

I did find the actual gcode (well, it'd an m-code, wouldn't it?) so that I can adjust from repetier, but don't have it on hand right now.  You can work it out by enabling the log file before updating the new offset and have a look at the codes being sent.  Maybe you can manually change it that way... or maybe somehow you can see that gcode being sent to the printer with 5 to reset it?

@skyefire, if you get a chance would you post a screen shot of your Z-Offset Calibration screen?

SD Press
Modeling software: 123D Design

ISSUE: SoliPrint v1.1.0 not finding Press on OSX.
CAUSE: Computer demons.
FIX: Connect via SoliDoodle's Repetier Host.  Try running a very quick sample/calibration. Then close Repetier Host. Try starting SoliPress V1.1.0.  Connect to the Press.  Try running a very quick sample/calibration. Install SoliPrint v1.1.0.  Connect to the Press.  Try running a very quick sample/calibration. If any step doesn't work, try every permutation you can think of power cycling & connecting the computer, press, and SoliPrint/Repetier Host software.  Eventually mine magically worked.  Unfortunately can't reproduce, since it works now every time.

ISSUE: Power supply FRIED (no green light).
CAUSE: Murphy's Law
Fix: <crickets...> [YOU COME TO THE RESCUE,  ENTER STAGE LEFT]

atrayu wrote:

FIX: Connect via SoliDoodle's Repetier Host.  Try running a very quick sample/calibration. Then close Repetier Host. Try starting SoliPress V1.1.0.  Connect to the Press.  Try running a very quick sample/calibration. Install SoliPrint v1.1.0.  Connect to the Press.  Try running a very quick sample/calibration. If any step doesn't work, try every permutation you can think of power cycling & connecting the computer, press, and SoliPrint/Repetier Host software.  Eventually mine magically worked.  Unfortunately can't reproduce, since it works now every time.

I hate the idea of having to spend more money to make a product work, but…
Simplify3D has been one of the best decisions I've made regarding my 3D printer.

The Press hardware is pretty great out of the box, but the SoliPrint software is complete junk. Especially if you're on a Mac (like I am).  I wouldn't expect much from SoliPrint for a very long time.  You can't even print multiple objects simultaneously (or move an object to a different part of the bed).

Solidoodle nailed it with the hardware (they are good with hardware).  Acknowledge that.  They blew it on the software (software development is clearly not yet their strong suit).  Don't bang your head against a wall if there are simple alternatives.

I know $140 is no small sum, but S3D really is in a league of it's own and it will make your Press that much better.

worldburger wrote:
atrayu wrote:

I hate the idea of having to spend more money to make a product work, but…
Simplify3D has been one of the best decisions I've made regarding my 3D printer.

The Press hardware is pretty great out of the box, but the SoliPrint software is complete junk. Especially if you're on a Mac (like I am).  I wouldn't expect much from SoliPrint for a very long time.  You can't even print multiple objects simultaneously (or move an object to a different part of the bed).

Solidoodle nailed it with the hardware (they are good with hardware).  Acknowledge that.  They blew it on the software (software development is clearly not yet their strong suit).  Don't bang your head against a wall if there are simple alternatives.

I know $140 is no small sum, but S3D really is in a league of it's own and it will make your Press that much better.

have you got s3d succesfully building with the press and the autolevelling?

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

Can anyone confirm if the glass for the bed is the standard 8.5x11 picture frame glass if so that would be great.

workwesty wrote:

Can anyone confirm if the glass for the bed is the standard 8.5x11 picture frame glass if so that would be great.

The Solidoodle bed is actually 8.5"x10" but a piece of 8.5"x11" glass works just fine, the 1" overhang on the front of the bed won't collide with either extreme of the Z-Axis.

I was told that a glass bed should be borosilicate but I'm pretty sure Solidoodle just used a piece of soda lime glass.

Post's attachments

IMG_20150206_012526.jpg
IMG_20150206_012526.jpg 1.8 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

47 (edited by sickman75 2015-02-06 21:00:07)

atrayu wrote:

I use OSX yosemite and soliprint 1.1.0 don't find the Press, BUT:

• I used a virtualized Windows partition (with vmware) and I succeeded to find the press and to print an object, but not to start the z-offset calibration

• I uninstalled soliprint 1.1 from macosx and installed the previous one (1.0): now the system find the press, I succeed to calibrate the Press, but not to print an object (when I press the PRINT button, slicer icon appears for a moment on the dock and then quit himself…)

• I succeeded to print with repetier host on osx but I have not the correct start gcode lines, so no calibration and too much space from hotend and the bed.

Has someone good advise?

sickman75 wrote:

• I used a virtualized Windows partition (with vmware) and I succeeded to find the press and to print an object, but not to start the z-offset calibration

• I uninstalled soliprint 1.1 from macosx and installed the previous one (1.0): now the system find the press, I succeed to calibrate the Press, but not to print an object (when I press the PRINT button, slicer icon appears for a moment on the dock and then quit himself…)

• I succeeded to print with repetier host on osx but I have not the correct start gcode lines, so no calibration and too much space from hotend and the bed.

Has someone good advise?

Try installing v1.1.0 again from the website (I know, after it didn't work ant v1.0 did).  It may work this time for some reason (mine did in a similar situation).

49 (edited by sickman75 2015-02-07 21:43:58)

atrayu wrote:
sickman75 wrote:

Has someone good advise?

Try installing v1.1.0 again from the website (I know, after it didn't work ant v1.0 did).  It may work this time for some reason (mine did in a similar situation).

I tried it and actually now I see the printer (thanks), I succeed to heat and cool the extruder and the bed, but z-offset calibration and print still don't work.

I tried with another mac (this time, with mountain lion) directly with Soliprint 1.1.0 and it saw the printer at first shot, but as before I succeed only to heat and cool the extruder… no z-offset calibration or print.

It looks a problem with slicer anyway, that is incorporated in the soliprint app package (on mountain lion like on yosemite, when I press the PRINT button, slicer icon appears for a moment on the dock and then quit himself…).

At the moment I'm completly stuck (because since I reinstalled Solidoodle 1.0 and I tried to use the calibration, now it is really messed up) and I'm waiting a new version of Soliprint, but if someone has some new advice, I'm still here.

50 (edited by bjarte.pettersen 2015-02-08 13:22:03)

Issue: Nothing happens when you press print on Soliprint.
Cause: Bad programming?
Fix: Go to Control panel, clock language and region. Change all settings to United States.

This concerns people with windows on a different language than US. Atleast it looks that way to me.
I do not know if the same problem is on Mac, since i do not have a Mac.