Topic: No love from CNN

I am curious what stopped CNN from noting the Solidoodle or others in its league when it made its request for printers below $2200.  Granted, the SD 2 hasn't ended up being the perfectly easy out of box and reliable experience everyone dreams of, but it is on the same playing field quality wise as the MakerBot and less than half the price. Everyone I know who has the MB and the ones I have used have only been marginally more reliable if at at all more reliable than the SD2. I am hoping the SD3s, SD4 or whatever is released later on will incorporate a lot of the upgrades we have performed such as cooling for extruding, sd card reader, upgraded board, anti backlash, and more for below $1000.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/02/tech/inno … tml?c=tech

Re: No love from CNN

Only excuse here is bad reporting. Looks like a fluff piece where the author couldn't be bothered to do any actual research.

3 (edited by cmetzel 2013-01-03 15:04:30)

If I were at Solidoodle.  I would have an optional case frame upgrade to make it look like it could sit on a desk in an Engineering department.  That's the only thing that seperates it from the Makerbots and IMO what keeps them from getting adopted into the corporate world where the real money is going to be.   I just read an article yesterday about Ford's plans to put a makerbot on every Engineers desk on how they're using it to prototype car parts. 

http://gigaom.com/2012/12/21/ford-engin … u-get-one/

I understand and appreciate the entry level pricing that has allowed me to get this, but for them to "take off" I would think they need a option that can target that market.  I don't think I could get my CEO to let me put one in my department yet because it looks like a hobbyist machine.

I purchased the model with the case and it is close to Business Class in my opinion. It looks nice from the front. The changes I see that would make it more business class would include:

1. Hinged door in the top of the case to allow for filament changes so the case does not need to be removed.
2. Door or removable panel on the back of the unit to hide electronics and wiring. (Completely enclose the back of the unit)
3. Wire wrap or shrink tube on all wire runs.

I've taken mine to work a few times and they have been impressed. The biggest concern that I have it accidentally catching a wire and unplugging it or destroying the electronics.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

I have the case as well, don't get me wrong it doesn't look bad, but it's not as slick looking as the Replicator 2 or the Cube3D.  Think of your laserjet or even the inkjets that were on every desk.  It can't look like a 1990s dell with a hinged window.  It needs to look sleek, cool, techy, polished, finished, etc.  Whatever word you want but there's a reason why 3D systems and Objet all have fancy cases and hide the wires and control panels. 

Then those of us who work as Engineers could get the polished version for work, and have the bare bones version for home, and we'd be experts already by the time we started using it at work. 

I bet I could present the Replicator 2 today along with the story about Ford putting one on each desk and they'd let me cut a PO today.

6 (edited by DePartedPrinter 2013-01-03 16:34:24)

cmetzel wrote:

If I were at Solidoodle.  I would have an optional case frame upgrade to make it look like it could sit on a desk in an Engineering department.  That's the only thing that seperates it from the Makerbots and IMO what keeps them from getting adopted into the corporate world where the real money is going to be.   I just read an article yesterday about Ford's plans to put a makerbot on every Engineers desk on how they're using it to prototype car parts. 

http://gigaom.com/2012/12/21/ford-engin … u-get-one/

I understand and appreciate the entry level pricing that has allowed me to get this, but for them to "take off" I would think they need a option that can target that market.  I don't think I could get my CEO to let me put one in my department yet because it looks like a hobbyist machine.

Mine sits on my desk, in my office, in the engineering department.  It has the case and looks pretty clean sitting in my office. My only real complaint is the spool hanging off the back but unless I mount it under my desk I don't think I have much of a choice.  Boss loves its.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

cmetzel wrote:

I have the case as well, don't get me wrong it doesn't look bad, but it's not as slick looking as the Replicator 2 or the Cube3D.  Think of your laserjet or even the inkjets that were on every desk.  It can't look like a 1990s dell with a hinged window.  It needs to look sleek, cool, techy, polished, finished, etc.  Whatever word you want but there's a reason why 3D systems and Objet all have fancy cases and hide the wires and control panels. 

Then those of us who work as Engineers could get the polished version for work, and have the bare bones version for home, and we'd be experts already by the time we started using it at work. 

I bet I could present the Replicator 2 today along with the story about Ford putting one on each desk and they'd let me cut a PO today.

For the price of the Replicator 2 I would rather have something like a Form One sitting on my desk.

Filastruder

The problem with completely enclosing the printer, is that you so frequently need access to the sides and top. My case now just sits there under my desk and holds dust. I think something closer to Ian's acrylic design is best. I haven't fancied mine up to his extent yet but I have acrylic surrounding the printer. It would look great if the case was some kind if translucent acrylic with logos printed on the sides and easy access hinged doors. I also agree the electronics and wiring should be completely enclosed in some kind of cool printed boxing. I am experimenting on all of this stuff so that when my SD 3 comes, I can have it looking like a million bucks. IMO, the open look of the replicator is cool, but it is useless to print big objects in ABS with it open, and I thought the replicator doesn't even technically support ABS. We are all (some of us) engineers here and the functionality has to outpace the appearance.

Functionality is key for the engineers, appearance unfortunately plays a role for the purse holders at least where I'm at. 

I'm not saying completely enclose it and lock all the doors.  I still want the bare bones electro galvanized enclosure so I can have one in my house, but I'm saying if they put an extra $200-$300 price tag on a industrial model and buttoned it up a little with covers and wire management and doors it could be a commercial hit as well as a hobbyist hit.  There will be exceptions but there is a reason that Makerbot is getting all the press and it's not because they do anything better than SD.  Just PR and marketing. 

I'm loyal to SD since they gave me this opportunity at a price point I could justify.  I'm just trying to offer suggestions to make them a more sucessful company.

I see Solidoodle as Ford when they started. Not literally, but a '3D printer in every home' kinda way. I think the SD2 is a great entry-level printer (as it's price point suggests) and they could absolutely offer a 'shiny' version that is slick and suped up, and bears a price to match its upgrades.

I understand businesses work in stages and things take time, but I can absolutely see them having a line of 3 or 4 printers to match different target markets and what they're willing to pay. You have $500, get the SD2. You have $1200, get the SDXL.

Or for $1200 you would get the DoubleDoodle.

Okay, I know some of you are graphics artists.  Let's concept up the $1200-$1500 Elite model, maybe we'll make something happen.  I can model but can't illustrate for shite.

jooshs wrote:

The problem with completely enclosing the printer, is that you so frequently need access to the sides and top. My case now just sits there under my desk and holds dust.

I totally agree.  I have two Solidoodles, and two cases that I am about to recycle.  I made 3 plexi panels that I hold on with magnets.  Easy on, easy off, and easy to see what is going on.

cmetzel wrote:

Okay, I know some of you are graphics artists.  Let's concept up the $1200-$1500 Elite model, maybe we'll make something happen.  I can model but can't illustrate for shite.

Elite model needs to have a way to change filament without removing the cover.

Filastruder

DePartedPrinter wrote:
cmetzel wrote:

Elite model needs to have a way to change filament without removing the cover.

All this takes is a $1 PTFE tube between the extruder head and the back of the printer.

Maybe a version of the filament guide from the jigsaw replacement can be made that has a 90 degree channel and a mount for  a PTFE tube.

17 (edited by DePartedPrinter 2013-01-04 20:19:50)

IanJohnson wrote:

Maybe a version of the filament guide from the jigsaw replacement can be made that has a 90 degree channel and a mount for  a PTFE tube.

That sounds like it might work.  I'm not sure there would be a way to mount the PTFE tube to the stock SD setup.  I also feel like the filament need to feed into the extruder from the side instead of the top.

Filastruder

18 (edited by shabby 2013-01-05 16:45:19)

jooshs wrote:

I am curious what stopped CNN from noting the Solidoodle or others in its league when it made its request for printers below $2200.

Its all about the benjamin's, this isn't an article written about 3d printers its an ad for makerbot disguised as an article.

http://www.aol.com/video/3d-printing-is … d%3D251623

well solidoodle was skunked again

20 (edited by shabby 2013-01-11 02:36:48)

Oh ffs, they got glen beck pimping it? http://www.3ders.org//articles/20130110 … anger.html
They're gonna print a gun...

I also have the case for my SD2 and agree with some of you in that my only complain with the case is that it needs some sort of door on the top. It sucks having to take off the cover just to change filament. I no longer even keep it screwed on.

Aside from that I think it does have a professional form factor that would be perfectly acceptable on any business desk.

Kudos for Beck covering the makerbot and 3d printing, even tho I can't stand him. But that is outside of the scope of this forum so I'll stop there.

SD2 w/ mods: Rumba controller, ATX PSU, SD pro case, glass bed, with more to come...

DigitalWhitewater wrote:

I also have the case for my SD2 and agree with some of you in that my only complain with the case is that it needs some sort of door on the top. It sucks having to take off the cover just to change filament. I no longer even keep it screwed on.

I like this top door idea...

Filastruder

I've been looking into making a quick vaccuum forming box to get a domed acrylic top on mine and if it worked maybe sell little care packages to those interested.  It looks fairly simple but they all say use an electric oven not a gas oven to heat the sheet.  Can't find the reason why and I have a gas oven. 

the reason is the gas puts off fumes that can react witht he plastic the heating isn;t as even and just incase you melt the plastic from elaving it in to long you are moreprone to fire with an open heat source

Okay thanks, wonder if I can get there with a heat gun or something instead then?  My thought was if I had a domed top I could still watch and I'd have enough room to swap filament from the inside and it wouldn't rub the existing cover.