Topic: Solidoodle Press - First Disappointing Hour

So many hopes-- squeezing in the first hour with the machine before the family comes home...

I can't get this thing to extrude in the slightest. I can feed the filament no problem, but it just isn't gripping and pushing through.
I took the front cover off a little bit, just to see if I could identify the issue. no dice.

Any ideas? I feel like i'm going nuts,and i'm going to be crushed if this doesn't work soon.

Re: Solidoodle Press - First Disappointing Hour

dangit, it wont let me show a pic, or a link to one. that is silly.

Its anti spam, just post the link with a space in the URL.

i.imgur.com/MpzYfjO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MpzYfjO.jpg

We can figure it out, these issues usually aren't difficult. First, is it making a click/pop sound? Perhaps a video? Most of us have never seen these extruders in person so you're going to have to tell us as much as you can.

I'd think there should be a line of filament visible running between the two circular bits visible in the opening and down into the hot end. I don't see much there but empty space.

Claghorn wrote:

I'd think there should be a line of filament visible running between the two circular bits visible in the opening and down into the hot end. I don't see much there but empty space.

+1 on that!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

elmoret wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/MpzYfjO.jpg

is it just me or does it look like the outside casing for the probe is cracked (left side of photo Z shaped crack?) and they tried to apoxy or use glue to repair it? I noticed in the pictures that where posted in jleichtys blog his looked clean and no crack or seems. I get mine tomorrow not gonna be too happy if it has a crack like that or any issues at all sad

Same thing here.. A VERY disappointing first hour with the Press.

On mine, the extruder appears to be slightly misaligned with the feed mechanism so that the material won't enter the extruder itself and instead jams up preventing it from feeding through properly.

I had that. I'm following the guide, push the black lever over to open the gap a little, push in firmly etc.... But it's not gripping and pushing through sad

Video later tonight

Luclin - that sounds familiar...

Right now, I can get it to extrude the hot ABS only if I manually apply additional force to the feed by gripping the line and pushing downward while the machine attempts to extrude (50mm in the Tools menu).

Left on its own the filament will just sit there.

If I remove the filament altogether and hit extrude, I can see that the motor which is supposed to drive the filament is turning, however it just can't seem to apply the force required to push the line through and out of the extruder.

I think I have figured out my problem.

The round "gear" with the groove for the filament which goes onto the drive shaft for the feed simply spins freely on the drive shaft which means that it cannot apply any pressure at all to the filament to force it through the extruder.

There is a small screw in the side of the piece which should have been set to extend into the open cavity in order to lock the gear and drive traction however this was never setup to do that and the screw does not extend it all. Thus the motor is unable to turn the feed gear.

I would try to adjust it but it requires a very small security driver which I do not have.

i was just going to post this, i read and article about someone else having this issue and they tightend it down and fixed it. They said the screw is extremely small tho and needed and angled wrench

Its not a security driver that's required, just an allen wrench really. You can also turn it in with just something that can reach into the head of it. I had a very small flat screw driver that I was able to carefully turn it in with. You could theoretically try with a tooth pick if its thin enough to fit. The set screw SHOULD be tightened down, but provided its in and catches the shaft properly, it should work for you.

17 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-15 00:40:39)

You're going to need Allen wrenches eventually. If you strip that screw  using the wrong driver I guarantee you will have a bad time.

One other thing.. This printer makes the loudest, most awful sounds when it begins a print job. Basically it drives the print head to one side of the case then the motor sounds like it wants to keep going for about five more seconds, all the while sounding like the motor is going to tear the machine apart.

Is this "normal" for the Press?

That's not normal for any printer.  Make sure you have the printer dimensions set correctly.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

20 (edited by Chapin 2015-01-15 01:24:50)

Definitely agree, get the allen wrenches to properly tighten the set screw. Its worth it.

As for the abhorant noise, look inside the printer when it starts that and you'll most likely see that the black plastic wire loom has gotten caught behind the arm the extruder sits on, preventing it from getting all the way back and hitting the end stop for the Y axis. I shifted the black sleeve a bit towards the extruder and it seemed to help, but you have to keep an eye on it. I've found that after a print starts, I need to open the top and set it up on the side out of the way so it doesn't get caught.

This obviously isn't a perfect solution because it gets back behind the bar after the start of each print when it probes the bed.  Still trying to figure out a way to keep it up out of the way that won't get in the way of printing.

Well so far, this thing is nothing but a giant pain.

First they send it out with the screw/gear not adjusted. (I fixed this)

Then there is the issue with the noise/grinding (which I still haven't determined the cause for.. It is not the filament/end stop.. The filament is clear when it is hitting the spot where the grinding begins)

The prints, are all lined with a significant horizontal banding which occurs on the entire model from top to bottom at roughly 2mm separation. The model is NOT the problem as it prints without this issue on my Form 1.

And finally, it seems that the SoliPrint software is incapable of saving an STL model that has been modified with the software??? It says that the file is being saved however no file is actually written to the drive.

Not at all what I would expect from something they are advertising as :

A true plug-and-play machine...

luclin999 wrote:

A true plug-and-play machine...

But it is! You plug it in then you need to play with it for days to get it to work :-).

Well... I almost took the entire extruded apart to get to the set screw... Not realizing I should have just pulled #sigh#

Behind was a tiny spring that holds the tension wheel and fling it went! 45 minutes later, extruded is back together and working. However, now the calib isn't working!!!!

Rochey wrote:

Behind was a tiny spring that holds the tension wheel and fling it went! 45 minutes later, extruded is back together and working. However, now the calib isn't working!!!!

Rochey did you see my message about the picture you posted up? It looks like the outside of the housing for the Calibration probe is cracked? I couldent tell if this was just from the angle of the photo but it looks like it starts little below mid way up and works it way to the top, also looks like glue or something was put into the crack, idk if this could be causing the issue you are having?

i noticed in other pictures that where posted on another users blog the housing for his probe looks clean and dosent seem to have a crack?