Re: Solidoodle Press - First Disappointing Hour

striker - i need to have a look again once things have cooled down... it's now extruding okay, but for some reason, homing sends the y axis towards me, when it should be heading to the back of hte machine (tjat's where the y switch is....)... the z axis keeps crashing into the head too...

I'm very disapointed with SD so far... really guys, this was supposed to be a beginners machine for non-engineers... i'm a Semiconductor EE by day, this should be childsplay... their software and hardware are just plain buggy. Not fit for release.

just checked. not cracked.

Good to know, and sucks your having issues. Ill update once mine arrives tomorrow if i encounter the same or any issues. If i where you i would call solidoodle tomorrow. Iv been in contact with francisco over the phone the past few days because my tracking # was messed up and they have been extremely helpful.

Thanks to all who have posted here - mine arrives tomorrow.  I will be doing a thorough inspection based on your experiences before I try to run it.  I'll post my results - I just hope I don't find something new to fix!

SD2 highly modified, SD Press coming 1/15! :-)

Rochey wrote:

striker - ...but for some reason, homing sends the y axis towards me, when it should be heading to the back of hte machine (tjat's where the y switch is....)... the z axis keeps crashing into the head too...

Just a random thought - the y axis homing issue might be that the y axis motor is plugged in "backwards" but that is something for SD support (you do get a warranty!) to help you with.

SD2 highly modified, SD Press coming 1/15! :-)

details of the y axis issues

this comes up in the log too....

echo:endstops hit:  Y:0.01

yurgh.

an earlier post on these said your supposed to push the calibration probe in place b4 pressing the 'press' button as its manual and not automatic. is there really a manual that says this? or has SD ever made any manuals yet?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Rochey wrote:

details of the y axis issues

The endstop is disconnected. Find the motherboard and check if it is connected. If it is fine there, check the switch.

Someone on SD's Facebook saying they are having a y axis issue also, they posted a pic with first print too.

I'm just happy to have found this forum. I have had all the exact same issues and have been losing my mind. Gonna try what you guys have mentioned here. So livid. We wait so long for this machine to show up, we pre-order to show our good faith, and then the "plug and play" is anything but.

luclin999 wrote:

One other thing.. This printer makes the loudest, most awful sounds when it begins a print job. Basically it drives the print head to one side of the case then the motor sounds like it wants to keep going for about five more seconds, all the while sounding like the motor is going to tear the machine apart.

Is this "normal" for the Press?

Mine does this as well.

Chapin wrote:

As for the abhorant noise, look inside the printer when it starts that and you'll most likely see that the black plastic wire loom has gotten caught behind the arm the extruder sits on, preventing it from getting all the way back and hitting the end stop for the Y axis. I shifted the black sleeve a bit towards the extruder and it seemed to help, but you have to keep an eye on it. I've found that after a print starts, I need to open the top and set it up on the side out of the way so it doesn't get caught.

This obviously isn't a perfect solution because it gets back behind the bar after the start of each print when it probes the bed.  Still trying to figure out a way to keep it up out of the way that won't get in the way of printing.

Thanks! I think that this was the issue on my printer (I looked and the plastic conduit was pretty-well jammed in there. Might be some way to tie it to the filament spool hatch.

Claghorn wrote:
luclin999 wrote:

A true plug-and-play machine...

But it is! You plug it in then you need to play with it for days to get it to work :-).

Rochey wrote:

striker - i need to have a look again once things have cooled down... it's now extruding okay, but for some reason, homing sends the y axis towards me, when it should be heading to the back of hte machine (tjat's where the y switch is....)... the z axis keeps crashing into the head too...

I'm very disapointed with SD so far... really guys, this was supposed to be a beginners machine for non-engineers... i'm a Semiconductor EE by day, this should be childsplay... their software and hardware are just plain buggy. Not fit for release.

sebastian623 wrote:

I'm just happy to have found this forum. I have had all the exact same issues and have been losing my mind. Gonna try what you guys have mentioned here. So livid. We wait so long for this machine to show up, we pre-order to show our good faith, and then the "plug and play" is anything but.

Yes, this is very disappointing. They kept telling us all along that the delays were to ensure that a quality product was shipped, and that doesn't seem to be the case. The state of the software is really inexcusable; if they really ever had any intention of releasing the Press in the initial 6-8, the software should be awesome now. Or at least bug-free. I can't even get it to load any STL files I make.

from what i can tell this is not going to do solidoodle any good at all. They WB apprentice is already a dead product as the printrbot metal plus has already surpassed it . the things we have seen released at CES show that after this initial sales run ( which SD have ruined because of delays and by the sounds of it a shoddy product ) the product will have been surpassed.

ask yourself at present what is the better option a SD press at  $599 with unususable software  and not incl shipping or a xyz da vinci 1.0 same build volume at $499 incl shipping an a simplify 3d license for 140 usd.

i see the press killing SD as a company

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

Made in China   boss say everything ok?  Yes boss yes boss . Ok i go home

Many of the goods we buy are made in China, I'm just surprised QC wasn't done in the USA after the units travelled accross the pacific, especially given their weight etc. (More to rock around etc)

It is possible to manufacture reasonable quality items in China: My matter and form 3D scanner was made in China and it really did work as soon as I plugged it in. If you followed their blog while all the delays of getting manufacturing going was in progress, they did indeed spend a lot of time on quality control and making sure they would be making a quality product.

Thought I'd share a video I'd made for Francisco in tech support:
http://youtu.be/1snUye-n27c

I notice two things...
A) my x and z are ok. No major issues
B) y -  I can move it forward but no further back than the position it was in on power up
C) y - home causes the extruder to move about 10mm towards me, not back towards the switch.

That was "proven" using repetier, not soliprint.

Dafydd

Your y endstop isn't working
Try checking that it isn't being interfered with and then follow the wires.  It thinks it is home and that is the 5 mm bounce that it does to verify.  So that switch is sitting in the N.O. (Normally open) state as it would as if it were triggered.  I know it sounds backward but it's not.  Look for a bad wire or most likely a loose wire on the switch or board.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Ward, that's what I figured - I opened the area under the machine that has the pcb. It looks like a custom pcb, with an array of 1x4 connectors, all white, but numbered. I tried reseating as many as I could but no dice.

I simply don't know which one of the pcb end connectors matches the Y limit switch side.

Also, that jump is actually away from the switch, wouldn't a small jump be towards it?

Cheers

Dafydd

Nope it would move away 5 mm's each time you click home.  I know it sounds backward but that is how it works.
Can you see the switch itself?  How does it look?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1snUye-n27c#t=88

the switch can be seen. it looks okay, the connector into the pcb (that the switch is mounted on) looks okay too.

Try this:
With the unit disconnected from the computer, move the carriage all the way to the rear until it hits the endstop. Then reconnect to RH and hit Y Home and try again. I've seen glitches like this and they usually go away when starting fresh, then it runs perfect for the rest of the day.

Your assistant seems less quarrelsome then mine wink

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Well, in another thread, someone mentioned the GCODE Command M119 to get endstop status.

With the extruder int he middle of the XY axis, I ran M119 (in soliprint) and saw the following glorious output).

C: M119
R: Reporting endstop status
x_max: open
y_max: TRIGGERED
z_min: open

I also confirmed that this is real time, by closing the X limit switch and running it again, and sure enough x_max showed "triggered".

Also, closing the Y limit switch didn't toggle the value to "open".

oooh. I feel like Inspector Gadget!

I am having a bunch of issues as well. When I home all everything the Bed seems to want to go down all the way to its limits and make a horrible noise before coming back up. also nothing that I print sticks very well to the bed, just trying to calibrate I have issues.

i found repetier to be more useful than soliprint, for debugging the system.

I went after the hte X, y and Z movements a great place to start. Power the system down, move the extruder to a different XY point, power on and do the same again.

Also run M119 smile