1 (edited by OneMoreCast 2015-01-13 14:34:11)

Topic: Solidoodle complaints, problems, wait time bitching etc...share yours

So SD4 and 4 rolls ordered on dec 14th...kept getting runaround, itll be this day, give us a call fri (this past one) if it doesnt ship. They then claimed mon or tues latest, via my phone call w them. Heres response from email I sent...its getting pretty insane these push backs.

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Your request (10352) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Daniel   
Daniel (Solidoodle Customer Service)
Jan 12 10:30 AM

Hi Mike:

There is no way around it. Your printer has been delayed up until this point, and I know how frustrating it must be. At this point, I wish I can deliver your printer myself. I ask that you hold on to the little patience you have left with us, and let us get you your printer. I can assure you that we working diligently to get your order shipped out to you as soon as possible.

Best,
Daniel

Mike   
Mike
Jan 10 01:13 AM

I call and kee being told next day in two days, call back friday...called friday the 9th (which is last day according to sams magical blog that my SD4 would ship) called and said they have no idea why it still didnt ship, and to call mon and it should deff ship mon or tues the latest. You guys do realize how insane this is...if your boss kept putting off giving you your paycheck youd be pissed, for good reason hes keeping your money and giving you BS dates...thats what you guys continue to do. You were paid $800+ and nothing but excuses and promises and runarounds. I need some actual help w this a concrete date expedited shipping somethinh. To conduct business like this is ridiculous, its not customers fault that SD bit off more than it could chew, yet were the ones getting shafted

This email is a service from Solidoodle Customer Service. Delivered by Zendesk.

"All your base are belong to us." SD4 with a RUMBA, supernight PS, 40mm fan on X motor, lawsey carriages with new better tolerance rods, flanged rear bearings, new NEMA 17 with leadscrew on Z-Axis, and e3d v6 with MK5.

Ward and Jago are my heroes tongue

Re: Solidoodle complaints, problems, wait time bitching etc...share yours

So why not cancel your order?

Vote with your dollars.

+1

Ultimaker S3.

4 (edited by OneMoreCast 2015-01-12 21:08:14)

Because like an ass I have hundreds of dollars in upgrades for damn thing here on my desk...I have no problem waiting. The runaround and date changes is what is causing most ppl to be unhappy, such as myself...it has until tom to show activity via UPS like dude said, than its a chargeback...agghhhhhh

"All your base are belong to us." SD4 with a RUMBA, supernight PS, 40mm fan on X motor, lawsey carriages with new better tolerance rods, flanged rear bearings, new NEMA 17 with leadscrew on Z-Axis, and e3d v6 with MK5.

5 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-12 21:09:04)

I put in an order for a Y motor before Christmas break and this is what I got. I ultimately found a better motor anyway, so I guess I'm not complaining about a spare X motor, but come on.

Post's attachments

image.jpg 1.04 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

You ordered on Dec 14th and are complaining only 4 weeks out?

When SD releases a new product patience is the key as I imagine they become seriously backlogged with other orders. 

162 days...that's the time it took from ordering to delivery for my Press.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

7 (edited by OneMoreCast 2015-01-12 21:32:03)

DePartedPrinter wrote:

When SD releases a new product patience is the key as I imagine they become seriously backlogged with other orders. 

Its not a new product I ordered an SD4...and when the shipping table via there site was 6-10 days, not 4-6 weeks or whatever it happened to change to for the 4 now

You are also missing the point as I said....the waiting isnt really a problem, its the BS dates that have no merit and song and dance you get from them. You have to be an ass for them to basically come out and tell you what they should have from get go (or as soon as they could have)

9 (edited by redbarret 2015-01-13 10:29:39)

Maybe change the topic title to something like "Solidoodle compaints compilation/thread/whatever". This company has more issues than just shipping.
Sure, we have "Solidoodle review compilation" thread already, but it has really old reviews for old Solidoodle models, magazine reviews and off-topic question posts mixed together, and complaints is not limited to Solidoodle products/support which most reviews are about.

But okay, let's start with shipping.

(talking about Solidoodle 4, I bet nothing has changed for new models)

1) Fix your online shipping calculator already, it's been several months. Maybe it works for domestic orders, but for international it's always something like $283 for everything.
Get your website programmer to fix it, it's not hard, I bet several users have notified you of this issue by now. Quit wasting our time by having to exchange emails and sending money via Paypal to you to make an order, you're a company for f sake...

2) Secure the movable parts on the printer better for shipping. My right side of the carriage had hit the front tensioner, bend it and squished itself below it. It's a miracle nothing was broken.

3) Print updated docs/stickies that come with the printer which don't lead to 404 webpages. It's not hard. A black and white printed paper isn't expensive.
I had my extruder running with the zip tie on it for weeks until I saw somewhere in the forum it has to be taken off. I worn off my x belt because you didn't put a lousy tiny penny-worth sticky or update your printed manual and mention it.

4) Make sure all the screws are tightened, jeez.

And also,

Calibrate the printer before shipping. Don't lie that you do. Not everything can fall out of place during shipping (like set screws).

And of course I could mention of poor quality parts have been used in their printers and we waste so much time upgrading (read: fixing) before we can use them properly, but we all know that.

DePartedPrinter wrote:

4 weeks is too long. No matter how much longer it took you or how it usually takes Solidoodle LLC to do it. It's still too long, new users have every right to complain.

Solidoodle 4

I'll throw my story in.  Many of you will find it familiar.

I was one of the suckers that ordered the SD2 when it first came out, and experienced huge delays getting it, and then spent weeks troubleshooting and tweaking things to get it working, which to me, is part of the hobby.  Ultimately, I was pretty happy with the SD2 after a lot of modification.

The Press was announced just as I realized that my SD2 was getting a little too long in the tooth to continue with, so I ordered one, knowing full well that Solidoodle would delay the Press a dozen times.  Once it became apparent that my assumption was correct, I decided to order some parts for the SD2 so that I could limp it along a little longer.

Of course, I found that many of the parts that I needed were out of stock, or simply unavailable, but I ended up cobbling together an order consisting of most of what I needed, all of which was listed as "in stock".

After two weeks of no updates, I opened a ticket, and eventually got a very apologetic reply, and a free roll of ABS for my trouble.  My parts did ship.  At that point, I started looking at my order history and realized that I have literally never placed an order with Solidoodle (not for a printer or filament or parts) that shipped without me having to contact them.  That's ridiculous!   

Anyway, the good news is that I'm not in a hurry to get my Press, largely because my loving wife got me an XYZPrinting DaVinci 2.0 for Christmas (ordered and received in three days), which perfectly printed a test print right out of the box.  With the addition of some hacks that allow me to use non-proprietary filament, and some better controller software, it's printing like a dream.

When and if I receive my Press, it's going to have to be mind-blowingly good for me to keep it.  If it isn't, it'll go on eBay, and I'll be done with Solidoodle forever.

-Solidoodle 2 Pro with glass bed and custom enclosure.

I ordered a new hot-end for the SD4 on Jan. first and they still didn't ship it, asked them twice and they said shipment got delay and it will be shipped out last week. Guess what, that was last week and it still didn't ship it. First thing i am going to print is a bracket to hold a different hot-end so i don't have to order, from them again!!

oh and replacement parts, (should have done that before)

13 (edited by redbarret 2015-01-13 16:06:47)

This thread clearly shows how Solidoodle sucks and is loosing more and more customers.
Maybe after it gets filled with many more complaints SD will consider pulling their shit together (I doubt it though). Still something every new member should read before deciding on getting a Solidoodle.

earhornjones wrote:

and then spent weeks troubleshooting and tweaking things to get it working, which to me, is part of the hobby

Maybe it is indeed a hobby for you to fix a broken printer, but I find this kind of "it's part of the hobby" and it's "fun" to fix all these faulty printers argument is just something comforting many people say because they are in denial and do not wish to accept they haven't gotten their money's worth.

To anyone who does that (again, not talking to earhonjones): it's your right, you can pretend fixing your machine is a joy instead of actual 3d printing stuff all you want, but please be objective when someone comes here and asks if they should get a Solidoodle.
If I'd enjoy taking apart and assembling a 3d printer, I'd get a kit (like RepRap, which can be cheaper and better quality even after adding a custom eclosure), not an assembled closed-source printer.

earhornjones wrote:

my loving wife got me an XYZPrinting DaVinci 2.0 for Christmas (ordered and received in three days), which perfectly printed a test print right out of the box.  With the addition of some hacks that allow me to use non-proprietary filament, and some better controller software, it's printing like a dream.

This is also not surprising.
Most of the calibration required for a Solidoodle buyer to do is just not necessary. You have to do it only because the product is not properly assembled, calibrated or packaged for shipping. Solidoodle wants us to believe all of that falls apart during shipping and thinks we are stupid enough to believe that.

Maybe I should also mention this is the first and last time I'm buying from Solidoodle. Even if they make something superb, I'm not even going to take a tiny risk and get it because of all the frustration this company has given me. And a free roll of filament as excuse isn't going to change my mind either...

Solidoodle 4

What they need to do is let B&H carry replacement parts, thats where i got my printer and got it in 2 days of ordering

To anyone who does that (again, not talking to earhonjones): it's your right, you can pretend fixing your machine is a joy instead of actual 3d printing stuff all you want, but please be objective when someone comes here and asks if they should get a Solidoodle.
If I'd enjoy taking apart and assembling a 3d printer, I'd get a kit (like RepRap, which can be cheaper and better quality even after adding a custom eclosure), not an assembled closed-source printer.

This is absolutely spot on.  For me, I wanted to learn about 3D printing without sourcing my own parts, etc. when I got my SD2.  What I got was a solid learning machine, but no better than many of the kits available at the time.  In fact, I spent extra to get the "Pro" enclosure, which was almost immediately removed and discarded as it didn't allow enough head space for the filament, so I was adding a custom enclosure anyway.  I'm a tinkerer, and I'm OK with that, but when Solidoodle shows a Press being operated by small children, they'd better deliver a device that can be successfully operated by children or novice users, and I've seen absolutely no indication that they know how to do that.

Here's hoping...

-Solidoodle 2 Pro with glass bed and custom enclosure.

16 (edited by OneMoreCast 2015-01-13 19:49:04)

Nice suggestion on topic change Red, the one "good" I can say they did after I called other day like they told me to do, I asked if they would ship my 4 rolls of filament now instead of w printer or god knows when, this way I know I have them and if I do have problems they cant bitch because ill be calibrating and running test prints w their material...guy puts me on hold for few seconds comes back says "yeah no problem, we can ship em"...literally 2 minutes later E-Mail from UPS label was made for filament and it shipped that day...I dont get any of their practices or lack of emails as others have stated and these delays (some forseeable on their end and some not) is what we are all pissed about

17 (edited by OneMoreCast 2015-01-13 22:27:25)

After being jerked around for trying to cancel my order had to call CC company...everything SD does business wise is horrid. Found new sd4 in NY area being shipped tomorrow...I've given up dealing w them directly.

i have given them notice if i do not recieve my tracking number by 1PM GMT on 19/01 i am cancelling my order and want a full refund even if they have shipped it.

I am tired of this company. Frankly if this printer does not blow me away ( im not hopeful ) i hope they go under. The user community has worked so hard to try and help them out with information on printer upgrades and how to improve there product and they give back to us by hawking preorders for product which havent even left the drawing board, stonewalling us for weeks about updates on shipping.

and then the cheek to ship hardware with essential software with this load of bugs!!

1. Some STL models will not load at all.
2. Some STL models are not centered correctly.
3. Some STL models do not land correctly.
4. Some STL models bounding box is incorrect.
5. You cannot view the gcode.
6. Models always print in the center of the platform.
7. The font is over-sized (OSX only).
8. The estimated print time is not displayed.

If i had a time machine i would go back and never have placed the order and go with printrbot or xyz

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

proctor_richard wrote:

The user community has worked so hard to try and help them out with information on printer upgrades and how to improve there product and they give back to us by hawking preorders for product which havent even left the drawing board, stonewalling us for weeks about updates on shipping.

Yeah I feel the same too. Glad I canceled my WB order. Also glad I did not order the Press as well. From what I see being posted here, it's yet another terrible product.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

Tried Soliprint on my SD3 last night. Wanted to get it tweaked before my Workbench arrived tomorrow. The SD3 works fine with Repetier Host. Couldn't get the Soliprint software to recognize the printer. Anyone else have this problem?

SD3 with 1/8" glass on bed, sprayed with Suave extra-hold hair spray. Acrylic enclosure.

21 (edited by redbarret 2015-01-15 14:15:14)

Oh so Solidoodle Press is not an out-of-the-box experience as claimed huh?
The Solidoodle 3 with dual extruder and a new name has same problems? Big surprise...

To anyone who want their money back, I hope this info might be helpful to you. gathered this information talking to other users online. I do not claim it to be accurate and please let me know if any info is wrong and should be changed.

Please read this on Visa/master Card chargeback.
Depending on your country of residence you might have better legally binding option than a chargeback, like in the UK.

First contact the Solidoodle about a refund, however let them know that you will issue a chargeback. They tend to respond faster then, and time is important as you'll see below.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shoppi … chargeback

Chargeback is a little known scheme which gives you a chance of getting your money back from your bank if you bought faulty goods, a service wasn't provided, or the company you bought something from went bust and your goods weren't delivered.

Within 120 days of purchase or expected service provision date

Complain to your bank/card provider within 120 days of the purchase, and ask to dispute the transaction. It can then start the procedure of claiming the money back from the supplier's bank.

Since Solidoodle charged your credit card way before shipping it and most likely months before, pay attention to this:

Some claims can be made after 120 days - for example if you bought something that was for services to be provided in the future, that for some reason weren't provided.

However, even with these claims, there's a time limit of 540 days from the date of paying for the contract.

From what I've read in other places though, the time is counted after you've recieved the goods, not when you made the payment, which is more logical.

In worst case, since Solidoodle LCC is in Brooklyn, New York, you can send a consumer complaint letter to:

Better Business Bureau - http://www.usa.gov/topics/consumer/comp … tter.shtml
Federal Trade Commission - http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/02 … int-letter
Bureau of Consumer Frauds and Protection - http://www.ag.ny.gov/bureau/consumer-frauds-bureau

These are not legally binding, the only thing which is is taking them to court and winning a case which is impractical, but these are something no company will want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnrL9DAEhiQ

Finally, some Solidoodle alternatives that might interest you after you get your money back:
http://www.plasticscribbler.com/compone … 3d-printer
http://www.ff3dp.com/#!product/prd2/110 … e-shipping
http://www.geeetech.com/3d-printer-3d-p … a4fu5hnnk1

I do not own any of those, but I've read positive reviews for them (except the MeCreator, no idea about that). Do your own research before deciding what alternative printer to get if you've given up on Solidoodle but still want to get into 3d printing.

Solidoodle 4

22 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-15 15:22:39)

Lol. You realize most banks sign a contract with Visa that explicitly forbids the use of chargebacks, right? And most credit card companies only protect purchases to s set amount, usually $300-$500. And good luck arguing your working, but poorly calibrated machine, is a faulty good.

If you want your money's worth, either fix the machine or sell it someone who can.  You may not like this response, but I fail to see how you have any other options.

Complaining on here is not making any machines work and I think the entire concept behind this thread goes against a lot of what this community stands for. I love bashing SD's poor decisions all day but I will not back the anti-upgrade sentiment emerging like a cancer in this thread. If you aren't ingenious enough to fix the machine, are you ingenious enough to actually make anything useful with your printer?

jagowilson wrote:

Lol. You realize most banks sign a contract with Visa that explicitly forbids the use of chargebacks, right? And most credit card companies only protect purchases to s set amount, usually $300-$500. And good luck arguing your working, but poorly calibrated machine, is a faulty good.

If you want your money's worth, either fix the machine or sell it someone who can.  You may not like this response, but I fail to see how you have any other options.

Complaining on here is not making any machines work and I think the entire concept behind this thread goes against a lot of what this community stands for. I love bashing SD's poor decisions all day but I will not back the anti-upgrade sentiment emerging like a cancer in this thread. If you aren't ingenious enough to fix the machine, are you ingenious enough to actually make anything useful with your printer?

i think that is unfair. SD announced this as as plug and play device. There any many product designers and engineers who would be very well served with a stable and reliable fdm printer with the build volume of the press. Saying that an abilty to tinker with the machine is a absolute requirements is a bit of a false dichotomy.

the beef people have is...

they said it would be out of box printing... it is not
they said it was preorder ... it was not they used the money to pay for the development
we been helping them for years and they integrate zero of what we have shown are reliable and stable improvements to there printer.

when i see what has come out of ces this year and the fact the new matter mod-t is coming out this year i just cant see how, when you consider the calibre of the competition SD thinks what they are releasing and there conduct is acceptable

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

proctor_richard wrote:

they said it was preorder ... it was not they used the money to pay for the development

The Solidoodle way.  I call it Trickstarter.  LOL

The SD2, SD3 and SD4 were supposed to print out of the box.  Very few of them did and needed calibration to yield anything resembling a good print.  Of course being a follower of the DaVinci threads most of those don't print well out of the box either.
Here's the thing.... All of these companies need to stop advertising "Prints right out of the Box".  The reality is this, a machine shop doesn't purchase an new CNC without the understanding that a certain amount of setup and calibration are going to be needed.  They also understand that they will need someone trained to operate that new machine.
How is a 3D printer any different?  It is basically a small CNC and will require all of these things to be in place before anyone can expect decent results from it. 
Should the new software work? YES but it isn't the first time a newly released software had bugs.  What matters is what SD chooses to do to fix them.
Are users going to have connection issues? YES but that is nothing new for any USB device.
What really needs to change is how 3D printers are marketed and to whom!
When I bought my first printer (SD3) I will admit I knew nothing about the technology.  It showed up broken and I waited for replacement parts, I was pissed.  Here's the thing, once the parts showed up I realized that I was the "weak link" and that unless I was willing to get the training and understanding to operate it correctly I was never going to get quality prints.
SD has handled so many things poorly and I was hopeful that the Press would be a positive turning point for the company.
All I can say is this, There are many of us here that support the community and are willing to help any way we can.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions