Topic: what is this "remodeling Solidoodle"?

I saw this on thingiverse and earlier on Youtube.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:135134
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnNmKrw9YQA#t=41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W4f-2j … e=youtu.be

High Speed Print Test Part 2(2013/08/20) Movie Add.
http://youtu.be/-W4f-2j8w_0
Use Slic3r Parameter
Perimeters 500mm/s
Small Perimeters 350mm/s
External Perimeters 350mm/s
Infill 400mm/s
Solid Infill 250mm/s
Top Solid Infill 250mm/s
Support Material 100mm/s
Bridges 100mm/s
Gap Fill 100mm/s
Travel 800mm/s

Well thats, wow.

And doesn't seem to use anything new other than aluminum carriage with LM8UU bearings, heatsink and a fan blowing on the extrusion.

Is machined aluminum carriage pieces necessary here though? Can anyone explain?
It doesn't seem like something a solid ABS pieces like lawsy's wouldn't handle. The motors, belts, rods, bushings on the back drive rod and extruder all seem stock.

Solidoodle 4

Re: what is this "remodeling Solidoodle"?

If anything I would say aluminum would slow it down, only reason to have aluminum imo would to not have to worry about carriages breaking. I would venture to guess it might be more in the way of software changes that aide in this.

"All your base are belong to us." SD4 with a RUMBA, supernight PS, 40mm fan on X motor, lawsey carriages with new better tolerance rods, flanged rear bearings, new NEMA 17 with leadscrew on Z-Axis, and e3d v6 with MK5.

Ward and Jago are my heroes tongue

Stock is like

Perimeters 60mm/s
Small Perimeters 40mm/s
External Perimeters 40 mm/s
Infill 60 mm/s
Solid Infill 60 mm/s
Top Solid Infill 50 mm/s
Support Material 60 mm/s
Bridges: 75 mm/s
Gap Fill: 30 mm/s
Travel: 75 mm/s

Solidoodle 4

The Solidoodle is super sloppy mechanically. Printed parts on machines end up being out of tolerance too (inside holes too small, etc) and end up being mechanically sloppy as well. CNC machined aluminum means nice and true parts for smooth motion.

You would be amazed what using proper mechanical parts effects linear motion.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

There was a post floating around (cant remember where in here or date) about looking into a group buy of aluminum carriages, something like $50 if I remember. If it makes that big a difference thats $50 well spent.

"All your base are belong to us." SD4 with a RUMBA, supernight PS, 40mm fan on X motor, lawsey carriages with new better tolerance rods, flanged rear bearings, new NEMA 17 with leadscrew on Z-Axis, and e3d v6 with MK5.

6 (edited by redbarret 2015-01-05 01:47:58)

Hazer wrote:

The Solidoodle is super sloppy mechanically. Printed parts on machines end up being out of tolerance too (inside holes too small, etc) and end up being mechanically sloppy as well. CNC machined aluminum means nice and true parts for smooth motion.

I understand, but the parts doing the motion: bearings, belts, rods, pulleys are the same, not 3d printed.
The only difference I can see at faster speeds is bending or breaking of the ABS parts holding the bearings and belt screws/clamps in place, but solid printed ABS parts don't seem likely to from that.
What am I missing?

OneMoreCast wrote:

There was a post floating around (cant remember where in here or date) about looking into a group buy of aluminum carriages, something like $50 if I remember. If it makes that big a difference thats $50 well spent.

You can count me in.
Right now I don't understand the need for aluminum carriages though for the reason mentioned.

EDIT: Not talking about stock 3d printed carriage of course. It is very poorly printed and at 50% infill...

Solidoodle 4

OneMoreCast wrote:

Right here http://www.soliforum.com/topic/8848/wou … -worth-it/

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Winner!!! big_smile Azerate comes through again

Those feed rates are partly possible because of the .1mm layers.  There is 1/3 the plastic getting pushed through the extruder for a given speed of travel compared to .3mm.  At .3mm layers the hot end wouldn't be able to melt the plastic fast enough at those speeds.  I find that if I want to print .1mm layers I have to boost the speed a little because it is harder for extrusion to stay consistent at such a low flow rate.

Reading the thread I just see more people not seeing a need for aluminum carriage for faster printing, so I guess there isn't any.

Ian, how can I calculate how fast my extruder can melt plastic at certain layer height and speed, to do experiments like that guy?

Solidoodle 4