1 (edited by Ggalisky 2014-12-22 22:12:22)

Topic: Would aluminum carriages be worth it?

As much as I love my 3d printed carriages, I saw a video of someone who had installed metal carriages on there Solidoodle. Anyone else have experience with this? Would it be much better than a printed carriage?

Ulitmaker 2, a few repraps, Custom Big FFF 3D printer with heated chamber.

My Blog http://ggalisky.weebly.com/
My Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXShYo … aDUpebDAOw

2 (edited by jagowilson 2014-12-22 22:26:25)

Re: Would aluminum carriages be worth it?

Link to the video? I've had thoughts of printing mine in T-Glase for strength without adding insane mass. Most expensive carriages in the universe . . .

Not as expensive as you might think. Under $50 in quantities of 10 or so.

4 (edited by jagowilson 2014-12-22 22:46:59)

Hmm, community order of machined aluminum carriages?? wink

My thoughts on it though are that it would add unnecessary mass, I would assume. When it comes to the carriages I don't think there's really any slop in the printed parts. Printed at 100% they are tough and can handle the tension of the belts or line. More mass just seems like more resonance to me. But on good bearings perhaps more mass takes away additional play and allows for more precision movement at higher speeds. Hard to say! Sounds neat.

As much as I love my 3d printed carriages, I saw a video of someone who had installed metal carriages on there Solidoodle. Anyone else have experience with this? Would it be much better than a printed carriage?

Yes please post the video link. I have considered machining some . Aluminum with liniar bearing . I have also considered lignum Vitae. probably would work well.
After all how were parts made for the first 3d printers. Probably NOT 3d printed.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

LOL  Like which came first the chicken or the egg?

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Video!

jagowilson wrote:

Hmm, community order of machined aluminum carriages?? wink

That would be awesome! Does anyone know how to design this? I can 3d model stuff for printing, but modeling something for machining seems like it would require more/different skills.

Same skills really, you just produce a dimensioned drawing instead of a STL. Like this:

http://files.e3d-online.com/v6/Drawings/V6-175-SINK.pdf

The easiest path would be to message that guy for his part files. If someone sent me drawings, I could have my CNC guy quote them. Its probably cheaper than you think.

10 (edited by jagowilson 2014-12-23 00:43:19)

Ugh if only I was going to be near my machine sooner than January Id be happy to try to whip something up. I have Autodesk inventor which can make dimensioned drawings pretty easily (in fact it's part of my routine workflow).

One important thing to keep in mind is threading. Since it would be aluminum you don't need nut traps and could tap the threads right in.

I'm all for it and would give it a go, and pitch in for a quantity parts order. For science!

But no chance of me being able to help much with any design until January.

Of course the alum. Carriage with a linear bearing is best one,
No body makes it in mass production, because
Its cost is too high,  if you only make it for your printer,
You can buy a alum. Bar, let machine shop friends to
Make holes for X rods and linear bearings, and mounting
Holes for X motor. You need a part drawing first.
An Injection carriage costs $0.2-0.5, an alum. Machining carriage
Costs ten more dollars, maybe more.

What hot end is that in the video?  I would drop ~$50 on metal carriages if there was a group buy option.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

13 (edited by jagowilson 2014-12-23 02:50:53)

Looks like the stock hotend which is impressive for those speeds to be sure.

But I'm all in. We get a design and some quotes to machine it, I'll buy a set and run them if we did a group buy. Here's a question: how would you folks keep the bearings in the carriage? Just snap-in style like the lawsy carriage? The aluminum won't flex like our ABS prints so tolerance is an important factor to consider. It's hard to tell how he did it.

jagowilson wrote:

Looks like the stock hotend which is impressive for those speeds to be sure.

But I'm all in. We get a design and some quotes to machine it, I'll buy a set and run them if we did a group buy. Here's a question: how would you folks keep the bearings in the carriage? Just snap-in style like the lawsy carriage? The aluminum won't flex like our ABS prints so tolerance is an important factor to consider. It's hard to tell how he did it.

The proper method is thermal expansion - freeze the bearing, heat the mount with a heat gun or oven.

mdrVB6 wrote:

What hot end is that in the video?  I would drop ~$50 on metal carriages if there was a group buy option.

Stock Solidoodle, which actually does decent at high speed owing to its brass barrel. The new E3D volcano is able to hit high speeds for the same reason, a long brass melt zone - but the Volcano can do high temperatures too.

16 (edited by jagowilson 2014-12-23 03:07:15)

elmoret wrote:

The proper method is thermal expansion - freeze the bearing, heat the mount with a heat gun or oven.

Makes sense, thanks.

One other thought I was having is related to the X rod spacing. Wardjr and I were discussing vibration of the extruder motor during direction changes. He hinted at spacing the rods further apart as a potential method to reduce this. I don't know how willing folks would be to experiment with this idea, but it's one I wanted to throw out if we're talking about new carriage design.

I can't think of any immediate additional features I'd like to see on the carriages. So far the accessory mounts on the lawsy carriage have been sufficient for me.

I really like where this is heading...

+1 thermal expansion fit - no slop! But you'd need to be careful about tolerances to make it work every time, especially at that size.
This, plus dealing with the rod spacing / parallelism issues would require some clever thinking.

Yup, when AOYOU says "Make holes for X rods and linear bearings," he's really only just getting started...

It would be a thing of beauty. big_smile

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

10mm hole, 6061 alloy (~20*10^-6mm/mm per degreeC), 300C dT:

60 microns. That's not a tough tolerance to hold on a CNC, and that's before cooling the bearing.

Could also do a clamping style mount, like E3D uses on their heater cartridges - that copes with variations of almost 10% of the diameter.

Q. - Are the rod diameters the same on SD2, SD3 & SD4?  Seems to be...

I only have an SD2...I'd like to give this a shot on Solidworks.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

20 (edited by jagowilson 2014-12-23 16:01:33)

Yes. They are 8mm rods along X and Y.  The bearings for the lawsy carriage are LM8UUs for the 2,3 and 4.

For the record, I much prefer the idea of squishing the bearings in like e3d does with their heater cartridges. It's less permanent. Higher quality LM8UUs are like $5 a piece and I'd hate to sacrifice them permanently.

IronMan, if you're going to give it a shot I have one more idea. Can we get a bearing on the X pulley? I hate the idea of it riding on a screw!

Thanks!  I'll try to work something up by tomorrow...

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

OK...here is a start:

http://i.imgur.com/GqR2u3V.jpg

Linear Bearings not shown...chose to go with the clamping action on the gantry sides per elmoret's suggestion; then use a half-clamp for the carriage.  Need to pop on a front plate for the stepper motor and hotend mount...

3D PDF attached.

Feedback?

Post's attachments

AssemLeft.PDF 237.51 kb, 13 downloads since 2014-12-23 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

23 (edited by jagowilson 2014-12-23 21:58:14)

My initial thought is to clean up the empty space in the middle of each carriage piece. If nothing else, perhaps just a thin wall in between the two sections. In fact, it could go over the top of the empty space and you could put the belt attachments there, sort of like is done in the lawsy carriage. Will the space between the bearings here be an issue at all? Can't imagine why it would, I'm just brainstorming smile

For compatibility, I think the bottom of the center carriage piece should mimic the mounting holes of the lawsy carriage, simply because there are a lot of things utilizing that spacing.

Nice work IronMan!

I like the simplicity of the Y-rod carriages.  I think the X-carriage is limited in the area of mounting/extruder options.  I would imagine printed adapters would work though.
Here's the thing about all of this (an effort I support) I think we tend to get all excited over the whole "Speed" thing.
I have watched that video over and over,  I am not convinced I can't already print that fast.  Of course I don't know what the actual numbers are so I have to just try and judge it.  What I see is the Y-belts flopping during direction changes and no matter how solid we make the carriages backlash is still backlash.  And although with a print of that nature it is difficult to see any ill affects from the backlash, it must be there.  So was the extrusion rate manipulated to cover some of that up?

I guess what I am getting at is for those of you that have not yet upgraded to the fishing line,  wouldn't that be a much cheaper and effective upgrade?  I have been swamped with year end stuff at work but when I get time I am going to print that (fast) and post up a video.  I think you will be amazed at how rigid everything is.
So for as much as I like this idea I really enjoy being able to design and redesign the carriages based on my needs.  Lets face it things change a lot in the world of 3d printing (Think the next Bulldog or E3d).   

So for now keep up the good work and let me know if there is anything I can help with smile

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

25 (edited by jagowilson 2014-12-24 01:22:25)

I certainly don't think it's a substitute for line. My interest is mainly now in how cheap we can actually get these machined. If they are reasonably priced I'd love to own/see some so I can have ideas for what I can get machined in the future. big_smile

If anything, I'm slightly concerned about the additional mass being slung around, especially at high speeds. . .