Topic: Base layer not solid

Hi everyone. I have a problem. The base layer of whatever I build is in very uniform lines, they look quite impressive actually but I am after a solid base. Anyone help please?

Re: Base layer not solid

Are you using a raft?

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Sounds to me like:
1) Your bed is not level
2) Adhesion issues

Can you post a picture of your printer and the quality?
Go to imgur.com, start an account, upload images, then share them here by copy/pasting the forum code smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Hi there, firstly many thanks for both replies. I am not using a raft on this print. I was expecting a smooth Finish to the underside ( where the print is in contract with the glass. I use UHU glue stick). The picture without the signature on is the top side, last layer. The other picture is the one to look at please. This is the first layer which is as you can see, very uniformly in lines. Any answers to this problem would be great. It is also the same on the demo print star vase. Many thanks , Matt.

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.2 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

image.jpg 1.2 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Sorry, although 2pictures came through they are both the same. Fortunately it is the bottom, problem side. Many thanks, Matt.

6 (edited by Superdave 2014-12-28 13:48:23)

First off this is in the wrong section but I'm sure everyone would still be glad to help.

Looking at the image it would appear that since you are not using a raft there is a solid layer under the layer in question since you can't see black between the grooves.  What slicer are you using? Different slicers may have differing settings that could be explored.

If you build it they will come. Then they will make fun of it, tell you it's not worth doing and go home and try to copy you.
If a picture is worth a thousand words then being there is worth a thousand pictures.

(2) Stock Makerbot Z18s, Filastruder w/Melt Filter, Filawinder, Autodesk Inventor Design Suite 2014 .........so far.

Hi there, many thanks for the reply. As far as I know I am using the slicer that comes with XYZ firmware. I haven't downloaded anything other than XYZ apart from the STL files. Many thanks, Matt. is there anyone who can show me how the base layer should look please?

What layer height and are you using for the first layer?Like , I use a layer height of 0.30mm and a first layer height of 0.35mm.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

We would need some further information about the item you are printing such as what you intend the base thickness to be.  There are settings such as number of layers to be included in the "floor", type and amount of "infill" and many others that may affect your print.

If you build it they will come. Then they will make fun of it, tell you it's not worth doing and go home and try to copy you.
If a picture is worth a thousand words then being there is worth a thousand pictures.

(2) Stock Makerbot Z18s, Filastruder w/Melt Filter, Filawinder, Autodesk Inventor Design Suite 2014 .........so far.

Hi there,
             I was not aware that I could adjust as many parameters as that. When I click print I only get options such as print quality (standard good and excellent), rafts, supports, auto repair, shell (thick standard or thin) density from 10% to 90%, print speed (fast standard or slow). There are no options for base thickness or anything else. I am just using the XYZ firmware that I downloaded a few days ago with my Da vinci 1.0. Many thanks, Matt.

Sorry. To answer Satman49. I used standard shell, 0.2 mm layer height, slow print speed, excellent quality, 90% density (as I thought a lower one may have caused the problem). Many thanks, Matt.

Judging by the pics it looks like your bed height needs to be raised so the filament gets smooshed more when printing.

XYZ DA Vinci DUO 2.0
XYZWARE
Simplify3d
wctek.com xyzerocart

mmatgill wrote:

Hi everyone. I have a problem. The base layer of whatever I build is in very uniform lines, they look quite impressive actually but I am after a solid base. Anyone help please?

Hi matt, try this procedure and see if it helps. The machine does not set the correct height for the first layer correctly. It is just a ballpark, and you need it much more precise.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/8408/bed … beginners/

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

http://manual.slic3r.org/first-print/first-layer
Looks to me like you need to increase extrusion widths on first layer and possibly reduce first layer speed. Above link should give you some direction .
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura