Topic: An other design E3D V6 for da vinci

First I tried the designs in first topic ww.soliforum.com/topic/7614/e3d-on-da-vinci/
but i did not work for my, So i made an other design:
ww.thingiverse.com/thing:608560

Post's attachments

P1080380.JPG
P1080380.JPG 335.79 kb, 5 downloads since 2014-12-24 

P1080383.JPG
P1080383.JPG 377.49 kb, 6 downloads since 2014-12-24 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: An other design E3D V6 for da vinci

Very good design it looks to fix a lot of the flaws in the previous version.

The only thing that would really concern me is the distance the filament has to travel where it doesn't have any guide. It looks like it travels quite a distance from where it exits the tube to where it engages the gear for the extruder. If your filament isn't perfectly straight, I could see this being quite a problem. Even more so for flexible filaments.

I like the design, and I might use it, not sure. I still like the one posted over on the Voltivo forums that required a bowden extruder, but would rather modify that design to make it non-bowden.

4 (edited by browning54213 2014-12-27 06:15:34)

looks like the design i was using before i swapped it out for a bowden setup. I liked it but there was too much allowance for flex after the stepper is moved up on the carriage.... My print quality is much better since i have gone to my bowden setup.

Also i noticed you dont have any PTFE tubing running into the e3d. You should reread the manual that tubing is not optional even if you are not running a bowden setup... You should really add some before you wreck the hotend.

browning54213 wrote:

Also i noticed you dont have any PTFE tubing running into the e3d. You should reread the manual that tubing is not optional even if you are not running a bowden setup... You should really add some before you wreck the hotend.

I used Bowden/PTFE tubing, but cut it of just above heatsink.

I printed the parts and have a snug fit side to side but quite a lot of play (1-mm) front to back between the two pieces. Is this by design and the fan assembly tightens everything down or is my printing off somehow? I've attached a photo showing the amount of space.

Post's attachments

IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0719.JPG 30.15 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-12-28 

DaVinci 1.0 w/ repetier firmware, Andy's Carriage, E3D V6, Filastruder #1956, Filawinder

7 (edited by khing 2014-12-28 09:43:00)

prpickett wrote:

I printed the parts and have a snug fit side to side but quite a lot of play (1-mm) front to back between the two pieces. Is this by design and the fan assembly tightens everything down or is my printing off somehow?

For the design:
first I made the parts that the head fits.
I added 0,5 mm to each part so I did not have to dremmel it. (I gues if your printer/abs is more accurate so you do not need it)
then I moved the screw-holes so the filement is exact above the head.

I say do a "full build" on this. It seems like a "simpler" solution to the E3D retrofit...

IMHO

darkhawk wrote:

I could see this being quite a problem. Even more so for flexible filaments.

I made a second version for flexible filaments
ww.thingiverse.com/thing:680959

POPOTROPOPIC3 wrote:

I say do a "full build" on this. It seems like a "simpler" solution to the E3D retrofit...

IMHO

I am getting ready soon to install a E3D

This seems like an easy upgrade for now as a full build requires a different filament feed or a airtripper setup.

Is there a full build out there that uses the stock feed setup?

11 (edited by evanalmighty 2015-02-16 17:02:33)

I've been working on a bowden setup that uses all the stock parts.  The motor and the stock extruder will be mounted on the frame. This setup should be good for those who want to stay on the stock firmware and it also allows you to revert back to the stock setup.  I should have everything finalized within the next day or so and will start testing it out before releasing the design.

leenanj wrote:
POPOTROPOPIC3 wrote:

IMHO

This seems like an easy upgrade for now as a full build requires a different filament feed or a airtripper setup.

Post's attachments

E3D V6 Bowden Mount 2.JPG
E3D V6 Bowden Mount 2.JPG 95.88 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

E3D V6 Bowden Mount.JPG
E3D V6 Bowden Mount.JPG 109.47 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_20150216_085608.jpg
IMG_20150216_085608.jpg 1.55 mb, 1 downloads since 2015-02-16 

IMG_20150216_085623.jpg
IMG_20150216_085623.jpg 1.69 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_20150216_085640.jpg
IMG_20150216_085640.jpg 1.81 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

Looks good so far
I would be most interested in the filament drive if it uses the stock hardware.
Let me know when you have them ready.

Thanks

evanalmighty wrote:

I've been working on a bowden setup that uses all the stock parts.  The motor and the stock extruder will be mounted on the frame. This setup should be good for those who want to stay on the stock firmware and it also allows you to revert back to the stock setup.  I should have everything finalized within the next day or so and will start testing it out before releasing the design.

leenanj wrote:
POPOTROPOPIC3 wrote:

IMHO

13 (edited by scobo 2015-02-16 18:02:44)

evanalmighty wrote:

Very interested in this, please keep us updated with your progress.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

evanalmighty wrote:

Why is your heater cartridge half way in on the pics?

The cartridge is flush with the other side of the heat block, so it sticks out on the other side.  I haven't finalized the design yet, so things are subject to change/move.

oscahie wrote:
evanalmighty wrote:

Why is your heater cartridge half way in on the pics?

It looks nice. Did you noticed a printing improvement in any way ?
Thanks for sharing your work.

Coin wrote:

It looks nice. Did you noticed a printing improvement in any way ?
Thanks for sharing your work.

No, but: It prints PLA, Ninjaflex and the head does not get clogged.

18 (edited by montressor 2015-02-26 21:26:07)

So how much vertical height to you lose on the print area with a direct drive setup? And how/where do you make the adjustment in the firmware?

Davinci Duo, Repetier 0.92, OctoPi

montressor wrote:

So how much vertical height to you lose on the print area with a direct drive setup? And how/where do you make the adjustment in the firmware?

Are you running stock firmware or Repetier firmware? If stock there is no way to access the value you would need which is your z offset. If stock you would have to add it to your start gcode to create an offset equal to the new space needed by the extruder plus the previous amount most likely. If in Repetier firmware there is a z offset in the EEPROM config file that you access in Repetier host.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

montressor wrote:

In this design the head is raised by 19,4 mm. The new holes can be made with help of the drill-mal.stl

khing wrote:
montressor wrote:

In this design the head is raised by 19,4 mm. The new holes can be made with help of the drill-mal.stl

I think he meant how much space from the nozzle to the bed do you loose. In other words the distance from the nozzle to the lowest point the bed can travel will be less than it was with the original. I guess the correct word from your view is how much lower is the nozzle on this design.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

In other words the distance from the nozzle to the lowest point the bed can travel will be less than it was with the original.

No the distance is the same. the nozzle has the same hight as the original. I did not changed the firmware. (i tray to make photo later)

khing wrote:

No the distance is the same. the nozzle has the same hight as the original. I did not changed the firmware. (i tray to make photo later)

Interesting, seemed like you'd lose some vertical height with this. Going to try and adapt this to a Duo.

One other question: in the picture on thingiverse (http://bit.ly/1zlocv5) there appears to be an upper filament guide that doesn't seem to appear in either of the build docs you referenced. Is that a separate piece? As I'm primarily interested in printing flexible filaments, I'd like to grab and print this as well.

Davinci Duo, Repetier 0.92, OctoPi

carl_m1968 wrote:
montressor wrote:

Are you running stock firmware or Repetier firmware? If stock there is no way to access the value you would need which is your z offset. If stock you would have to add it to your start gcode to create an offset equal to the new space needed by the extruder plus the previous amount most likely. If in Repetier firmware there is a z offset in the EEPROM config file that you access in Repetier host.

Carl where is this z offset located, from the lcd panel ?, can't find it.

If you install a nozzle that is different height than original can this compensate?

montressor wrote:
khing wrote:

Interesting, seemed like you'd lose some vertical height with this. Going to try and adapt this to a Duo.

One other question: in the picture on thingiverse (http://bit.ly/1zlocv5) there appears to be an upper filament guide that doesn't seem to appear in either of the build docs you referenced. Is that a separate piece? As I'm primarily interested in printing flexible filaments, I'd like to grab and print this as well.

I tried to tell the designer this on thingiverse, but that uper filament guide has 0 impact on printing flexible filaments... The crucail area is after the filament LEAVES the extruder gear because the axial load on the filament at that point will induce bucking. To correct for this you will have to bring your PTFE tube right up next to the extruder gear and cut it in a v shape. This will help to constrain the filament as it enters the hot end and allow you to print faster.