1 (edited by gva67 2014-12-20 05:28:30)

Topic: Davinci 1.0 printing problems

I recently bought a printer davinci 1.0 and I want to summarise the problems I discovered in the first weeks of testing.

1 - Auto calibration of the printing bed.

The auto-calibration process is very slow and require you to adjust the regulating weels lots of time before you get a good result.
So you can spend a lot (up to 2-3 hours) to get the system calibrated.
The funny thing is that once you've perfectly calibrated the bed, if you repeate the calibration test, you get always results completely different, so you should recalibrate the bed once more... and you risk to enter in a never ending circle...
So my suggestion is that, when you get a good calibration, do not repeat the calibrationg test any more and maintain the calibration set up until the printer fail the printing.
I recently read in this forum that someone prefer manual calibration, using a paper sheet (0,15 mm thickness) as reference distance.
I'll try this.

2 - Breaking of the glass
With the last print I did I decide to test the printer with a "big" model, that will require approx. 14 hour of printing time and lot's of ABS wire.
I started the print in the afternoon, and in the evening the printing was at 20% and I left the printer work for the night.
Next days when I arrived in the office I discovered two things:
A - the base of the model, the part that was in contact with the glass support, was completely fuse...
B - in the center of the printing bed glass there was a glass damage (with the same shape of the one  shown in pictures enclosed in some discussions presents in this forum)
The only possible explanation is that in the center of the printing bed the temperature has reched a too high value that caused both problems:the fuse of the model and the breaking of the glass.
After this problem I unmounted the glass with it's resistance and I  discovered that the temperature probe is located not in the center of the bed, as it should be, but just on the border of the plate.
In this way the border is always colder than the core of the plate, and this is more evident in case you print a big piece, as I did.

CONCLUSION: the temperature control of the bed is not correct and this cause the breaking of the glass in case of printing of massive models.

3 - printing quality
Tre printer does not print correctly models with circular shapes.
If you indicate with x and y the axis on the horizontal plane (X is the axe from left to right, and Y the one from back to front) when the printing nozzle change direction in the X axe, it "looses" a certaing gab.
In this way the model presents, on the circular shapes that lay on the XY plane, a straight edge of about 1 mm that render the circles not perfect but always deformed in the X direction.
When I contacted the manufacturer service department they suggested me to reduce the mechanical plays that are present in the fixings of the rails that regulate the movement of the printing head.

I did this modification on the printer but the problem is still present.

I cannot understand if it's due to mechanical or to software problems: next trial I'll try to use another printing software instead the one delivered with the printer.

If anyone can give suggestions it'd be important.

Post's attachments

IMG_1565.JPG
IMG_1565.JPG 1.34 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Davinci 1.0 printing problems

Find my thread on here and have a read through - you've got all the same problems I had and resolved.

As for auto calibrate, I don't get why so many people have problems, it explains on the manual what the values mean and how to correct them...When I added a 2mm sheet of glass to my bed I had to completely recalibrate it as it was badly off and it only took about 15mins...and 10mins of that was me doing something else while it was calibrating in the background.

Calibration - http://www.soliforum.com/topic/8408/bed … beginners/

Bad circles - http://voltivo.com/forum/davinci-peersu … -not-round

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

Geps wrote:

Find my thread on here and have a read through - you've got all the same problems I had and resolved.

As for auto calibrate, I don't get why so many people have problems, it explains on the manual what the values mean and how to correct them...When I added a 2mm sheet of glass to my bed I had to completely recalibrate it as it was badly off and it only took about 15mins...and 10mins of that was me doing something else while it was calibrating in the background.

You are going to find the values that ASSISTED calibration comes up with are actually incorrect. Anyone that has been printing for some time will tell you that first layer height should be half of your print layer height. The issue is the machine does not know what layer height you plan to use. In that respect, this feature is broken. This feature should happen during the print based on the gcode. It does not and that is the reason veteran users use the manual method.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Geps wrote:

You are going to find the values that ASSISTED calibration comes up with are actually incorrect. Anyone that has been printing for some time will tell you that first layer height should be half of your print layer height. The issue is the machine does not know what layer height you plan to use. In that respect, this feature is broken. This feature should happen during the print based on the gcode. It does not and that is the reason veteran users use the manual method.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I don't follow....surely it doesn't need to know what height you're printing at though - it just needs to know what height the bed is at so it can then make the movements accordingly.......