Re: E3D's Cyclops/Chimera - Dual Extrusion, Single Nozzle/Hotend

elmoret wrote:

Get half stack NEMA17s!

I'd love to, do you have a source?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Lets look at what SD's extruder currently does:

SM42HT33-1334A
http://shop.myhobby-cnc.de/media/pdf/nema17.pdf
30 oz-in (at full current)

...but SD runs them at about 1/3rd full current, so about 10 oz-in.

Suitable half-stacks:

http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/steppe … -1_21.html

18 and 26 oz-in. Take your pick.

53 (edited by wardjr 2014-12-16 22:13:15)

Working prototype.

http://i.imgur.com/eari8CT.jpg

The only change in the actual file is some different support and improved nut holder for the belt to help clean this up.
http://i.imgur.com/hHIjzio.jpg
The forward bearing carriage is a slide in design.  These parts are designed to be very tight when put together so make sure your printer is up to the task.  100% infill & 2 perimeters with a .60 nozzle at .3mm layer height worked well (no reason a .4 nozzle wouldn't be better).  There will be some clean up required with a flat screwdriver and a flat razor.

The idea would be put the bearings in the front carriage first then slide on to the rod, repeat for the main carriage.  Then slide the front bearing carriage into the main carriage.  You will want to have your Kraken or Cyclops/Chimera installed on the carriage before installing bearings.

The whole thing was designed to be installed with the Cyclops hanging on the front.  I did put a mount for it on the rear as well, figured it could be used to mount a fan.

Until I receive a Cyclops I am unable to verify fit/function but see no issues.

Post's attachments

KrakenRBCAR.stl 21.08 kb, 8 downloads since 2014-12-16 

Kraken_Cyclops_base.stl 237.09 kb, 11 downloads since 2014-12-16 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

elmoret wrote:

Get half stack NEMA17s!

what is that? can you post a pic or link? and can it be used with Bowdens or only direct mount> I have been searching for a twin bowdens even direct drive bowdens either hanging on back of printer like in another topic or above printer on a duel multi spool size mount for filaments to cradle in with a plexi inclosure over everything for heat, moisture, dust and fume control.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

WOW! great job Wardjr!
so are you using a Kraken with 4 extruders and liquid cooled on a SD printer?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

That's the plan at least until my Cyclops arrives.  I will post that mount up on Thingiverse once I try it and verify everything works.

n2ri wrote:
elmoret wrote:

Get half stack NEMA17s!

what is that? can you post a pic or link? and can it be used with Bowdens or only direct mount> I have been searching for a twin bowdens even direct drive bowdens either hanging on back of printer like in another topic or above printer on a duel multi spool size mount for filaments to cradle in with a plexi inclosure over everything for heat, moisture, dust and fume control.

Already posted above, sure you can use them with bowden or direct drive, they're just stepper motors...

wardjr wrote:

That's the plan at least until my Cyclops arrives.  I will post that mount up on Thingiverse once I try it and verify everything works.

see Solidoodle could do this on the Workbench and dwarf the other 3D printer manufacturers

n2ri wrote:
wardjr wrote:

see Solidoodle could do this on the Workbench and dwarf the other 3D printer manufacturers

Where's the fun in that!

well... true. plus we would all be long dead b4 it got delivered LOL

n2ri wrote:

well... true. plus we would all be long dead b4 it got delivered LOL

+1

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

I am using this extruder carriage ATM. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:162565.Do ya'll think it could modified to  accept the Cyclops?

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

You'd need a plate to convert the 2-hole mounting of the Lawsy MK5 to the 3-hole pattern of the Cyclops/Chimera.

That should be fairly easy,  thanks

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

satman49 wrote:

I am using this extruder carriage ATM. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:162565.Do ya'll think it could modified to  accept the Cyclops?

Yep, the Cyclops mount is about as simple as they get.

I got another bowden question.Is it possible or practical  to just move the current  direct extruder with stepper  and mount it remotely. That is leave another lower half in place( with a few modifications), then run the bowden tube between them.

Yes, you can. You'd probably want to pick up a groove mount adapter as well.

satman49 wrote:

I got another bowden question.Is it possible or practical  to just move the current  direct extruder with stepper  and mount it remotely. That is leave another lower half in place( with a few modifications), then run the bowden tube between them.

This is very do-able, the mod itself is quite simple and easy.  Just remember that with bowden the settings have to be dialed in very well, mostly pertaining to retraction.  Making the switch now will get you prepared for when these new ends come in the mail!  I'm really looking forward to being able to print dissolvable supports.

Bowden SD3, Rumba, E3D hotend, Mk5 with RtRyder changes, Direct drive Y axis and bearings, GT2 pulleys and braided fishing line, Lawsy linear bearing conversion, M3 Z screw.

elmoret wrote:

Yes, you can. You'd probably want to pick up a groove mount adapter as well.

what is that?

http://www.filastruder.com/collections/ … en-adaptor

elmoret , is there  a cutaway of the cyclops somewhere to show the internal "plumbing" ? Just curious  how it works.

There is, here you go:

http://e3d-online.com/image/cache/data/ … 0x1000.png

Can one explain to me how to cut down retraction

shields1.as wrote:

Can one explain to me how to edit retraction

Big batch of these coming in tomorrow. 100+ orders will go out in tomorrow's mail!