Topic: E3D's Cyclops/Chimera - Dual Extrusion, Single Nozzle/Hotend

E3D's new dual extrusion hotend is here!

You can pick one up today at http://www.filastruder.com/products/chimera-cyclops

Re: E3D's Cyclops/Chimera - Dual Extrusion, Single Nozzle/Hotend

The Cyclops looks like it would be way more fun to play with, but it is hard to think of everything needed to actually try the experiment:

No doubt you'd need a dual bowden setup, which would probably mean a new motherboard with dual extruder support.

You'd need to design a new carriage to mount it (are there lots of spare bolt holes for attaching it?).

You'd need to learn how to construct dual color models.

You'd need to learn how to use some kind of dual color slicer software.

Is there magic voodoo needed to switch from one color to another? What software handles that?

And the big question: What did I forget? :-).

so its 2 seperate extruder hotends combined now

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Claghorn wrote:

No doubt you'd need a dual bowden setup, which would probably mean a new motherboard with dual extruder support.

Yes indeed.

You'd need to design a new carriage to mount it (are there lots of spare bolt holes for attaching it?).

Yes, a mount is needed. Heatsink drawings should be available shortly.

You'd need to learn how to construct dual color models.

Yes.

You'd need to learn how to use some kind of dual color slicer software.

Slic3r and others can do multimaterial.

Is there magic voodoo needed to switch from one color to another? What software handles that?

The slicer.

And the big question: What did I forget? :-).

I don't think anything - though these are definitely cutting edge/experimental. Brave folks will be needed to pave the way, doing write-ups, designing mounts, and experimenting.

dimensions will be nice to see how much print area is taken away from a single extruder printer if upgraded. maybe Solidoodle could update SD2 and SD3 production for this type build (kinda what Apprentice was to be)

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

6 (edited by n2ri 2014-11-28 21:25:07)

so the E3Dv6 cooling fins come off and can be used in the Chimera? thats a great lineup there.
plus able to buy parts for trying  both ways. see this is another example of mod tech SD needs to adapt to if they want to stay on top.

n2ri wrote:

dimensions will be nice to see how much print area is taken away from a single extruder printer if upgraded. maybe Solidoodle could update SD2 and SD3 production for this type build (kinda what Apprentice was to be)

Zero print area removed if Cyclops, roughly 15mm if Chimera.

8 (edited by n2ri 2014-11-28 21:29:38)

elmoret wrote:
n2ri wrote:

Zero print area removed if Cyclops, roughly 15mm if Chimera.

WOW! all I need now is a motherboard and carriage and 2 Bowden setups for it and my SD2 can become a Jr Apprentice

does Cyclops use a slide valve setup?

I finally have a excuse to take a stab at dual extrusion!

Ulitmaker 2, a few repraps, Custom Big FFF 3D printer with heated chamber.

My Blog http://ggalisky.weebly.com/
My Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXShYo … aDUpebDAOw

11 (edited by n2ri 2014-12-01 05:23:42)

SD3 and SD4 users should all do this mod since both have problems using entire print area already. just use a new MB for it and you can own a better Apprentice without buying a another complete printer. does the Rumba board support this type extruder setup?

BTW what department do I look in at Lowes for that White Bowden filament feed tubing they say is available there in like 3 foot lengths?

I would just order it from Tim
http://www.filastruder.com/collections/ … tfe-tubing

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

Any idea if and when he plans on making a chimera in water cooled?  I am heating the enclosure of a printer so the air cooling might not cut it.

A kraken is basically a water cooled Chimera. If you only need a 2-channel Kraken, let me know through the contact form on the Filastruder site - it should be around $150.

15 (edited by n2ri 2014-12-02 05:03:49)

wire10ga wrote:

I would just order it from Tim
http://www.filastruder.com/collections/ … tfe-tubing

well yeah when I order/install one I will get the Bowden kits as cheap as he sells it. just never saw anything like that in Lowes or Home depot nor why they would stock it. is it normally for plumbing or what?
I also saw a post about Brosilicate? glass at Lowes but thats not so.

16 (edited by michael.t.albers 2014-12-04 04:25:58)

looking forward to getting the cyclops for the delta I am working on.  looks like it will be easier to design the mount for it as opposed to making a delta mount for two extruders!

Drawings are ready:

Cyclops Assembly
Chimera Assembly
Cyclops/Chimera Cooler Block (Air)
Cyclops Heater Block (2in 1out Switching HotEnd Block)
Cyclops Nozzle (0.4mm)

n2ri wrote:

SD3 and SD4 users should all do this mod since both have problems using entire print area already. just use a new MB for it and you can own a better Apprentice without buying a another complete printer. does the Rumba board support this type extruder setup?

BTW what department do I look in at Lowes for that White Bowden filament feed tubing they say is available there in like 3 foot lengths?

The Rumba, Rambo, and Azteeq X3 pro are all dual extruder compatible.  When you go to lowe's or home depot, take a bit of filament with you to the plumbing department to make sure it runs through without too much play.  You can also get it from elmoret or order it from e-bay and amazon.  I used https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 … amp;psc=1.

Thanks Tim!

the top link is bad

Looks like they took that one down, not sure why.

EDIT: Links fixed.

Cyclops Assembly
Chimera Assembly
Cyclops/Chimera Cooler Block (Air)
Cyclops Heater Block (2in 1out Switching HotEnd Block)
Cyclops Nozzle (0.4mm)

22 (edited by mdrVB6 2014-12-04 18:13:54)

Alright, the race is on to see who can claim all those sweet internet points and thingiverse likes by making a mount for this that matches Lawsy's X-carriage so we all don't have to totally tear down the carriage.  I'm somewhat light on work and I've got 10 hours of airplane time ahead of me in the next week so I'll see what I can do.  However, there are a lot of people more talented than me out there!  I'll order it once I'm at least somewhat happy with the mount design.

I will probably use a mount like this one to stick 2 geared bowden extruders on the back of my solidoodle.  I would think you really want a geared design for more torque since it looks like there will more pressure pushing filament through than on a single extruder setup.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:126183

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

Gears should not be needed. I use less than 30% of my NEMA17's available torque with a v6.

But that is with a V6.  It looks like there is more complex filament paths on the chimera/ cyclops than the straight down path on the V6 and other single extruder designs.  I can't say for sure you would need a geared extruder but I'm fairly confident it will take more torque than a single extruder design.  How are you measuring the 30%?

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

The filament path contributes very little to the force needed, as the local velocities are low. The majority of the force needed comes from the nozzle, the constriction from 1.75mm to 0.4mm.

I know it's <30% because the stepper driver is set to <30% of available current and doesn't skip steps.

Furthermore, NEMA17s can produce in excess of 4kg-cm of torque. With a hobbed hub of radius ~6mm, that's about 60N of force. Airtripper's measurements showed less than 15N needed on most setups.

Final proof: E3D themselves use direct drive. http://e3d-online.com/index.php?route=e … blog_id=25