Re: Odd circle test results

You can replace the carriage if you want. But please do this test which wardjr says is the solution to this problem so the rest of us know what to do. I'm personally still not sure what you're doing. I don't understand what more contact points will do.

I will still do it, fear not! If it improves my situation it will make the parts for my carriage work better so of course I'm going to try!

Essentially the idea is to fit a piece into the right side of the carriage which replaces the bottom Teflon block. It will be like a jigsaw puzzle piece, an exact negative of the contours. I was trying a difficult solution just to see what would happen tongue

79 (edited by jaques 2014-11-05 07:20:02)

I reread this topic and I'm still not getting it, but I'm waiting eagerly for your results, I'm out of ideas myself.
All I get is you want to increase the contact surface of the right side of the carriage with the right x rod, but don't get why that is necessary.

Print a circle. I bet you will FEEL the right side move up and down/lag behind the left. I can. It makes an audible, but quiet, thump.

I honestly dont hmm

jagowilson wrote:

And they aren't bending so much as ending up at an angle temporarily during direction changes.

Maybe this is what I'm not getting. The rods are secured, how can they rotate?
I'll mark the rod tip coming out from the front and see if it rotates any during the test print.

so why not just upgrade carriages with Lawsy set and linear bearings? also I have heard some in other topics talk of how the Tin (not steel) frames warp in places from all the torque of so many different motors and shafts mounted in it. even more with some mods. SD needs more than 16 gauge tin for frames heck thats what many cheap home furnace cabinets use and listen how they rattle with just 1 squirrel cage blower running. even 14 gauge is too thin for rigid support against twisting etc. maybe 10 ga or thicker that can be welded of cast aluminum etc even angle iron. just because a 110lbs weakling can stand on it means nothing. honeycomb cardboard paper 1 inch high like used in some packing will support over 300lbs but I wont use it as any type of frame to construct a precision machine on. lol

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

81 (edited by jagowilson 2014-11-05 13:27:05)

jaques wrote:

I reread this topic and I'm still not getting it, but I'm waiting eagerly for your results, I'm out of ideas myself.
All I get is you want to increase the contact surface of the right side of the carriage with the right x rod, but don't get why that is necessary.

Print a circle. I bet you will FEEL the right side move up and down/lag behind the left. I can. It makes an audible, but quiet, thump.

I honestly dont hmm

jagowilson wrote:

And they aren't bending so much as ending up at an angle temporarily during direction changes.

Maybe this is what I'm not getting. The rods are secured, how can they rotate?
I'll mark the rod tip coming out from the front and see if it rotates any during the test print.

Where are they secured? To the carriage. Not the case. I'm also not talking about the parallel rods along the side of the case... We're referring to the rods that hold the extruder motor and hotend. If you want to see how it works, take out both Teflon blocks on the right. You'll get it instantly.

Analyzing Lawsy's carriage set, I now think I understand what Jago and Wardjr are trying to accomplish.  And it makes sense.  When printing my circles or arcs, it is very consistent that the problem is noticed when the extruder tries to change direction after a length of travel. 

Theory: If the carriage system works using linear bearings of Lawsy's Carriage set, instead of the white ride bar (shown in attachment), it proves that we are not dealing with backlash due to timing belt tension issues, but instead a design flaw in the carriage system.  This design flaw would imply that a degree of movement is not being accounted for.  One side of the carriage is being lifted during direction changes.  This could definitely cause the head to stop linear movement in that direction for a short period while the carriage is in the motion of lifting or falling back onto the rod.

Is this what you're testing now?

To the comment of frame flexing, holy cow this would be a scary deal if that were the case.  I can't find my T-square, otherwise I'd test this too.

Post's attachments

IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG 1.55 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

83 (edited by jaques 2014-11-05 17:30:30)

nbourg8 wrote:

To the comment of frame flexing, holy cow this would be a scary deal if that were the case.  I can't find my T-square, otherwise I'd test this too.

I really doubt that. It seems to be the same steel used since Solidoodle 2 days and the exact steel frame of Solidoodle 3 with few tiny holes added for threading the enclosure pieces to the frame.

jagowilson wrote:

I'm also not talking about the parallel rods along the side of the case... We're referring to the rods that hold the extruder motor and hotend.

Ah, OK.

84 (edited by jagowilson 2014-11-05 17:51:52)

Jaques,

Do you understand what I'm trying to accomplish? Unfortunately, my research load has ramped up on me today (I found several bugs in the code for my experiment that could drastically effect my results, so I need to fix this before participants come in). As a result, it would be several days before I get a chance to mess with this.

You mentioned you have years of 3D experience. Make a model that mimics the arcs in the right side carriage. Remove the teflon block on the bottom and top, slide your piece into place, and shim it with cardboard/whatever if the fit is too lose. Ensure the piece cannot move left and right. Then, re-install the top teflon block, leaving the bottom block out. In a moment I'll edit this post and show you a crude drawing wardjr sent me that should make the idea clear to you. The shaded part is the part you will have to design.

Take off the right side of your printer and remove the teflon blocks. It's the only way you will truly understand the issue. You are more motivated to solve this with the stock carriage than I am also, so I feel it's right to pass this down to you. I would do it if I had the time, but I don't want to keep you folks waiting for days. You also have more 3D experience so whipping this up should be no trouble. Use your imagination.

The goal is to prevent side to side movement of the carriage. Your piece should BARELY touch the rod on top--you don't want to make the issue WORSE by causing additional binding. You can't damage anything, so feel free to try whatever.

Make sure the part you design has a hole for the screw to attach it to the carriage in the same manner as the original Teflon block. If you don't do this, you'll just waste your time, because the part will flex back and forth and defeat the whole purpose. I learned this last night.

I hope this helps. I'm not bailing, but my research is obviously more important and I don't want to hold you up on solving this if this is the solution. If you get it to work, I'd be super thankful.

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 564.15 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

85 (edited by jaques 2014-11-05 17:52:27)

Send me a drawing or something and I'll transform it to 3d, sure. Not getting it yet at this point. Or you can ask wardjr to explain this to me if you don't have enough free time these days.

I've attached a photo. Look at your carriage, and the photo. Then let me know if you have additional questions.

87 (edited by jagowilson 2014-11-05 17:54:26)

Sorry you'll have to rotate the image 90 degrees. Stupid iphone. Just experiment. You will have to experiment to get the idea; I didn't get it right away which is why I wasted time designing the wrong type of part last night.

88 (edited by jagowilson 2014-11-05 18:14:42)

Here is a crude drawing of my own with annotations. If you have a lot of 3d experience you should be able to whip this up in no time at all. Remember, barely touch the rod. You want it to slide smoothly. If you have lithium grease apply some to the rod and slide your part back and forth. Do not lose the Teflon blocks because your part will not hold up long.

The black part is your piece. Below that is the stock carriage. I hope this makes sense.

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 979.11 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

@Jaques
In my previous post, I uploaded a picture of the carriage Jagowilson is talking about.  I'm an avid Solidworks user and capable of making the drawing also.  It's not an easy task though (getting the original part dimensions) and then adapting it to fit more degrees of movement. 

Lawsy has a set of carriage drawings already made for use with linear bearings and its posted on thingiverse.com.  Maybe that can expedite the process while we redesign the carriage.

90 (edited by jagowilson 2014-11-05 18:17:47)

That's the reason I don't have time. Getting the part to fit requires a lot of iteration, because measuring it with calipers is difficult and not very accurate because you don't have room to measure it with the calipers totally straight. If I could get the right side off without entirely destroying it, this would be trivial. But good luck with that. I'm fairly certain the rods are glued in and you'll break the carriage entirely trying to get them off.

Sorry, but I don't think my 3d modelling experience without any engineering experience is enough to make a printable part which will solve this issue. Maybe me and wardjr can design this together if you don't have the time.

92 (edited by jagowilson 2014-11-05 18:33:18)

You don't need engineering experience.  Just experiment. Learn as you go. Do you want circles with the stock carriage or not?

You're gonna have to suffer a bit for them is all I can say. Expect pain. But you'll be learning.

93 (edited by jaques 2014-11-05 18:43:16)

I'm afraid I don't have much time and filament left to "learn as I go". Should have been less careless with the hundreds of test prints I did while trying to figure out this issue this past month...

nowhere to get filament locally? i guess i'm lucky i live in a big city... i can get makerbot abs any time i need it, but i've never done it. it's expensive as hell.

better than nothing

96 (edited by jagowilson 2014-11-05 19:10:13)

Well, order some up. You're gonna need it to keep printing anyway. Get it from Octave, not Solidoodle, if they will ship to you. $30/kg.

jagowilson wrote:

Well, order some up. You're gonna need it to keep printing anyway. Get it from Octave, not Solidoodle, if they will ship to you. $30/kg.

Wow that's expensive!

Amazon has 2kg for $19 with free shipping if you're a prime member.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E94 … &psc=1

98 (edited by cipher0 2014-11-05 19:37:51)

jagowilson wrote:

You don't need engineering experience.  Just experiment. Learn as you go. Do you want circles with the stock carriage or not?

We all do, but do you have any evidence at all that this will work? Because I think we all have wasted enough time to now try to design something with several iterations without knowing if that's even it.
And I'm not sure what is it you're suggesting to make. Replcement for the white things? Something that goes with them? Those drawing are a bit confusing, sorry.
I thought you wanted to replace your y motor first? have you abandoned that idea or did I miss something?
And you seem to have discussed some stuff with wardjr, what was it? We don't seem to catch up. I think by the white things only having two "points" of contact you mean very small surface than needed by a "point"?
Sorry, but a lot of what you said doesn't seem to be clear to some of us. Before deciding to pass on this task to someone else, maybe you should explain exactly what it was you were trying to do. Or if you want just do it when you have the time, we'll wait. We've gotten used to waiting.

99 (edited by jagowilson 2014-11-05 20:16:05)

This is a substitute for the better solution of installing a third teflon block, which is not possible with the carriage. Does that make sense? It sounds like none of you have taken the blocks out of your carriage like I have, which is probably why you don't get it. You're gonna have to understand the existing design before you see why this improvement is a plausible solution. I've explained it as clearly as I think I can. . . if there was room for a third teflon block, that's what we'd do. But there isn't. So you need to print a part that acts as two separate teflon blocks. It needs to match the contours of the carriage so it fits snug; otherwise it can move and won't add any additional support.

It sounds to me like you haven't actually looked at the design of the right side of the carriage carefully. If you did, I'm pretty sure you would understand. Take the teflon block out. Observe what that does to the carriage--it can move up and down freely. Now picture how the design would improve with three teflon blocks instead of two. With only two, the blocks bind up when the motors switch direction because there is forward/backward play. Ideally, I think, the three blocks would be arranged in a triangle--one on top, two on bottom, but this is also not possible with the stock carriage design.

The real problem, though, is that teflon blocks are a stupid idea with the large distance the rods span. It's flat out dumb. I don't know if this will fix it, but it may. The *real* solution is to use linear bearings on both sides. Solidoodle screwed us over big time. The entire carriage is flawed and even if this fixes it, I imagine it will reveal other problems.

Don't respond to a potential solution with unwarranted skepticism and doubt. Why don't you guys just try it until you find a design that works? I would, but I don't have time right now. My research takes higher priority.

Give it effort instead of just stalling because you don't know the next step. I'm confident you all can figure it out. I can't explain it any further. You're going to have to try it and come back when you have a more directed question. You won't get it if you don't try some designs. You can't substitute explanation for experience. if you get it to work, you'll understand the problem better than I do.

100 (edited by nbourg8 2014-11-05 20:22:15)

What Jago is trying to do is the same thing outlined in this Thingiverse post:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:104059

Don't worry Jago, I'm onboard with this idea and will take it all apart in the next couple days.

Its a lot of work to redesign this section with linear bearings, if you understand the thingiverse link, you understand the problem at hand.

Here's a video of the new carriages in action.  They are the light blue carriages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sos6-61lOk