Topic: Looking for my first 3d printer

I've been scanning different forums and trying to absorb as much as I can and decided to stop here and make a post.  Hi, my name is Steve and I'm a noobie ;-)

I've seen many 'what should I buy' posts and you often see the same list of machines at price point X. I'm seriously considering getting the Da Vinci 1, the solidoodle 4 or the solidoodle press.  I haven't ruled out building a Prusa or Printbot though.

At this price point it seems like you can expect to do a lot of tinkering.  I think I understand the pro's and con's of the Da Vinci.

My question is between the press and the solidoodle 4.  They more or less seem like they have very similar specifications, but the website isn't that helpful in distinguishing between the two and leaves the solidoodle 4 off the comparison chart (to be discontinued?).

It seems that the Press might limit you to proprietary software and supplies (although they say you can use any supplies). And the 4 uses standard supplies and Repetier Software? Even on the software side, the website isn’t very clear on either.  Can anyone clear this up?

$450 sounds good for the Press, but is the solidoodle 4 worth the extra $150?  Or “who knows” because no one has gotten their hands on the Press yet?  It seems that the press is eventually going to be the same price as the 4.

Thanks
Steve

Plastic Scribbler 2100

Re: Looking for my first 3d printer

Try the MakerFarm 8" Prusa i3v.  I did and when I finished building it it was square as can be.  Nice setup had everything but the power supply and glass for the bed.

Bob

I saw some threads talking about the phoenix. It looks pretty good too, but a 3 month lead time.  About $500 built and shipped.   It seems that with these startups, 3 months is relatively quick compared to others.

phoenix3dprinter  (they won't let me add URL's yet)

I like the closed designs because this is going to live in my 'not so clean' basement and also some folks say that closed is better for ABS.   I suppose an enclosure could be added, but I'm no carpenter.

Plastic Scribbler 2100

The Press is still a large unknown.  Solidoodle has said the it is made more for the novice who does not want to tinker with their printer.  If you want to upgrade parts and or tinker then I would not get the Press.  If you just want to print and go, stick with the Press or Da Vinci.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

i would break it down by features

extruder - go for an all metal hot end as this will give you the most flexibilty of filament and consistency. if you see one with a e3d hot end that is a very good sign

additional point on modifications - if its a closed source printer with the electronics closed off you will want to ensure that there is already a cooling fan aimed at the base of the nozzle. Without this printer in PLA and PLA composites like laywood, laybronze and ninjaflex....are not going to happen

extrusion driver - direct vs bowden . Direct gives you better control on things like retraction but you trade off print speed. Bowden gives fasters speeds due to light x-y carriage. Generally speaking though this is not a make or break between a good or bad printer

print bed - again speaking generally , metal bed = ackward , glass bed = better. pure metal beds which seldom be machined flat so you will have difficult time getting uniform adhesion on the first layer .

bed movement - i find little discernable diffrence between quality on beds where there is only z movement and where the is z - y movment on  the bed. generally this is just personal preferance.

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

I like the price and features of the solidoodle 4, but there seems to be a lot of 'hate' out there for it and for the solidoodle support and documentation.  I couldn't find any info on its extruder type and driver.

The price is right for the da vinci and it has much better reviews.  Probably because it is sort of locked into an 'average mode' where it isn't ever going to do anything great, but won't do anything horrible.  I don't even want to deal with the product-pending kickstarter companies.

Plastic Scribbler 2100

I like the idea of going with a good used and modded SD2 or 3 just to get your feet wet.  The learning curve is steep for 3Dprinters and community support for those models is beyond excellent.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

ebay and the For Sale section here don't show very many used options. I'd have to really trust someone to buy a used machine though.  Seems like many people give up and just want to get rid of their 20 pound paper weight! Still the SD 4 at the discount price of 600 is tempting as is the $450 pre-order price on the Press.  Then again the da vinci is just waiting for me on Amazon prime.

Plastic Scribbler 2100

9 (edited by wardjr 2014-10-09 17:11:54)

I think you'd find the Davinci to be a larger source of frustration than the SD's.
I have an Extra SD3 that I wasn't planning to sell but maybe to the right user.
The Press has a great price but it could be a long wait and who knows what kind of issues they will have.
$600 for the SD4 is a good price and it is basically an SD3 with some suggested changes from the forum so maybe that is the correct route.  I am certain it will need some tweaking though.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I have the SD2 with case and the DaVinci. My experience with the DaVinci is quite good. Plug it in, select a file and print. Of course I have no desire to modify it and am running it stock. Also, I have not had any shipping problems, loose or broken components. I know people do not like to pay 40% more for the XYZ Printing ABS filament, but it includes a chip that provides temperature and filament length to the printer. Another issue for some folks is the inability to use a preferred slicer. And, sometimes I agree with this issue as some artistic prints do not come out the way I hoped. The plus side is that a small group of dedicated techies have figured there way around most proprietary issues.

I still use my SD2 when I want full control, choice of filament and printing at .200mm with supports. Using KISSlicer works great for me on the SD2. One big plus for the SD2 is the size of the case, it is about 1/3 the volume compared to the DaVinci with a 6x6 vs 8x8.

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

one piece of advice i would give is  manage your expectations. many go into 3d printing with a head full of rainbows about being able to create " anything" with a printer. i remember when i first got my sd2 i thought awesome.... 6 inch square of build volume.

that was quickly revised down to about a 2"x2"x6" build volume when i realised what a dick warping is and moved to using pla exclusively.

dont get disheartened though. In a way it wouldnt be as much fun if you didnt have to dial it in and tinker with its.

you'll be singing " this is my printer, there are many like it but this one is mine.."

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

Haha, I like that.  Once it has your own screwdriver scrape marks on it and a bit of blood, it will be your own and you will like it.  I'm looking to print small mechanical pieces for radio controlled models as well as repair parts and other related pieces.  I am not going to designing items to 'sell' or protyping for a business.  Though I am sure I will waste a bunch of filament on Thingverse things for which I have no need.

Do folks 'regret' buying a 3d printer in general?  If they bought it and don't use it?  It seems to be more of - I regret buying brand x because sucked the life out of me but they would use it if it works.

Plastic Scribbler 2100

13 (edited by Tin Falcon 2014-10-09 22:48:47)

Maybe this chart will help (or add to the confusion) It is from the plastic scribble web page

http://www.plasticscribbler.com/compone … 3d-printer

http://www.plasticscribbler.com/images/3d-printer-comparison-large.png

If your budget can handle the $689 price mark the top of the line aterid has a lcd display and on board sd chip control full open source  $240 watt PS about the only thing is dos not have is a fancy case and a second extruder. the footprint of the PS is only slightly larger than the sds  18.625 cube

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

I don't regret my purchase of the SD2. It is my 1st 3D printer and has worked very well for me. There are a bunch of upgrades I would like to do to it but have not cause it just works.  Soon I will have the SD WorkBench and CobbleBot that I per-ordered before the WorkBench came out.  Guess I will have my own little printer farm going. My biggest problem will be finding space for all three. Even though the other two printers will be double the size of the my SD2, I plan on keeping it cause it was my 1st smile

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

It is difficult to compare the SD 4 to other models because Solidoodle doesn't give many technical details. The Asterid has a glass base where the SD 4 is aluminum, (worth the extra $90 compared to the SD4?)  It is difficult to know which has better stepper motors, hot-end etc.

Seeing as how I started out looking at the Printrbot simple based on price, I better pull back my expectations a bit.

wire10ga, I think you are the reason why this printers are always out of stock!

Plastic Scribbler 2100

16 (edited by Tin Falcon 2014-10-09 23:53:12)

Though I am sure I will waste a bunch of filament on Thingverse things for which I have no need.

But there sooo cute and ____________________ would rely like that!!!!

Do folks 'regret' buying a 3d printer in general?  If they bought it and don't use it?  It seems to be more of - I regret buying brand x because sucked the life out of me but they would use it if it works.

I think a lot of folks hear the hype and the news casts and expect instant or at least easy part. Phrases like you can make a part with the push of a button. Sure you can make parts with a push of a button after you spend hours and hours shopping for a machines learning the software tuning it up making test prints designing a part. so after a hundred hours prep time yes you press a button and wait an hour and half and get a part made.
No one know what it is like to have a 3d printer until you get one. but at the less than $1000 It is reasonable to expect to adjust and tinker.At the  $500 mark there will probably need upgrades.
The person who is rained or trained themselves to understand electronics and mechanics and to fix things can handle a 3d printer. the person whod can not tell a hex bit from a screw driver will struggle.

one piece of advice i would give is  manage your expectations. many go into 3d printing with a head full of rainbows about being able to create " anything" with a printer. i remember when i first got my sd2 i thought awesome.... 6 inch square of build volume.
that was quickly revised down to about a 2"x2"x6" build volume when i realised what a dick warping is and moved to using pla exclusively.

exactly 

I really did not know what I needed or wanted. and my dream list and budget did not exactly match . I ended up with a used solidoodle 4 not a bad place to start.

I couldn't find any info on its extruder type and driver.

I can take a picture if you like  . the biggest draw back is you are limited in temp so the higher temp stuff like nylon and nijaflex is not possible without upgrading the  extruder.
driver ? ?? Marlin firmware if thats what you mean

tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Tin Falcon wrote:

I can take a picture if you like  . the biggest draw back is you are limited in temp so the higher temp stuff like nylon and nijaflex is not possible without upgrading the  extruder.
driver ? ?? Marlin firmware if thats what you mean

tin

I think I meant stepper motor when asking about the "driver".  We could probably spend months comparing hot-ends and bearings and beds between printers and years waiting for the next best thing to arrive on KickStarter.  Maybe I'm over thinking it. I'm tring to talk myself into getting the SD 4, but I know (or suspect) that the  'garage' building companies are using better components and are at similar price points.  But the soliprint community seems to be very helpful, I think I could get help here if needed.

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and build/repair RC helicopters and multirotors and have a full set of hex wrenches and know the difference between blue and red loctite :-)  Part of the RC hobby is flashing and programming flight controllers with open source software etc.   Building balsa models?  Not for me.  I don't mind repairing and tweaking, but I don't think I want to assemble my first printer.

Falcon, any major calibration or repair issues with your S4?  Seems that everyone with a 3d printer has their eye on a new printer?  What would you get if you were going to buy a new one?

Plastic Scribbler 2100

it is difficult as many of the specs are not anything particularly detailed.
the SD 4 has a decent extruder set up . the Z axis  is a nema 17 motor. and the bed moves in the Z axis  only.
x and y are powered by nema 14s.

Falcon, any major calibration or repair issues with your S4?

Major issues no. the usual  I added a glass plate and had to level the bed adjust z height tighten belts lube guide rods etc.
I expect one has to do the same with any printer in the similar price range.

Seems that everyone with a 3d printer has their eye on a new printer?  What would you get if you were going to buy a new one?

One of the first ones I had my eye on was the plastic scribbler. It seems like a nice machine. If I felt comfortable spending $850 the printer shipping and a roll of filament  I probably would have gone with the top of the line PS. But I really wanted to spend less than $500 so I ended up with a used SD4.

If you read much here you will find that a ED3 v6 extruder is the preferred hot end for serious printing also PLA needs directed cooling fans. I have a friend that has IIRC three maybe four printers hes uses on a regular basis and a couple more in storage. He pretty much relies on the internal controls and the sd cards. The other nice to have feature is a dual extruder. it allows for dissolveable support or a second color.

If you have a spare $2500 the ultimakers are great machines. But I would have to be making money with it to justify that kind of outlay.
I have also heard good things about the delta style machines.
And I have pondered looking for a deal on a second SD4 that I can upgrade to on board control cleaner supports nema 17 motors on all axis  ED3 v6. And I have pondered a scratch build for printer #2 now that I have an idea of what I want in a printer and what I do not like. And I can buy a few parts at a time .
I will know what printer # 2 will be when I either order it or build it.

So you need to decide what features are important to you and focus on those or set a price point you are comfortable with and get the best you can under the limit.

I wanted a heated bed an assembled printer and something that does not look like it escaped from a high school robotics lab. 

And I am learning that likely the one feature to focus on is a good extruder. as the high end materials become more available you will be out in the cold if you can not reach the higher temps. It is where the rubber hits the road or where the ninjaflex meets the print bed.
Tin

19 (edited by stevea3342 2014-10-10 04:09:52)

I keep going back to the plastics scribbler page (your fault!). The 2100 is about the same price shipped as the SD 4.  It seems to have a better bed that won't need to be upgraded and I'm wondering how the other components compare to the SD 4.  Could this be a better option?

http://www.plasticscribbler.com/store/A … 3D_Printer

The 2200 is out of my price range but the 2100 is doable.

<edit> The issue I see is that I can't find any reviews and not very much of anything on google with the plastic scribbler 2000 series.  If people are using them, they aren't writing about it.

Plastic Scribbler 2100

You should do some research into a delta style printer.

Ulitmaker 2, a few repraps, Custom Big FFF 3D printer with heated chamber.

My Blog http://ggalisky.weebly.com/
My Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXShYo … aDUpebDAOw

I just noticed the plastic scribbler supports NinjaFlex and Nylon.  The pendulum is starting to swing... 

They boast "Finally a 3D printer that has the quality of a Makerbot but with the pricing of a Solidoodle!"  But do they really deliver on this promise.

Plastic Scribbler 2100

I decided to give the plastic scribbler a try and placed the order (1-2 week lead time).  I contacted the company and had a good interaction with them.   Glass bed, all metal hot-end and the ability to print Nylon, poly carbonate and ninjaflex for slightly less than the price of the S4 delivered.

I'll report back when I make my first print.  Thanks everyone for your input.

Plastic Scribbler 2100

Yes let us know how it works. Looks like a nice machine from there web page. the only way to know is try one and better yet side by side comparison. that is where makers faires can help.

all metal hot-end and the ability to print Nylon, poly carbonate and ninjaflex

definitely a plus.

I contacted the company and had a good interaction with them.

also a very good sign.

Tin

24 (edited by n2ri 2014-10-12 00:47:17)

the PS dont come with duel extruders. video says it can be upgraded to that later meaning Modified. the Solidoodle workbench series do have all those features plus duel extruders and same price range for the Aprentice and few hundred more for the big 12x12x12 platform workbench.

I like my SD2 but if I had held out a year and half could have had the Apprentice for same price I paid

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

It would be nice to use something dissolvable on the second extruder.  I am beginning to think that you have to get your first printer before you get your second printer  ;-)  Genius, I know. Haha.  I mean you need to start somewhere to know what  you are missing.

Playing with Sketchup, are these the kind of things that are very difficult to print correctly?
http://s30.postimg.org/5wimf42g1/Image1.jpg

Plastic Scribbler 2100