Topic: kapton tape question

Okay, so I can't find a 21 cm wide kapton tape for replacing a damaged one on my 21x21 cm print bed.
I think applying several tapes will make an uneven surface.
Do people here buy a very wide 21 cm kapton tape roll for replacing the original one or is there some way to melt/merge several thinner layers of tape into one?

Re: kapton tape question

Many of us stopped using Kapton tape and switched to printing on glass. It's flatter and prints stick better.  Any piece of cheap hardware store glass will work.  Add some aqua net and your prints will stick beautifully.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Solidoodle sells an 8"x8" Kapton square which is almost 21cm on a side.  Link below, but I agree with the suggestion to print on glass (solidoodle will sell you a cut piece of glass as well) - works as well if not better than Kapton and you never have to worry about tearing it when removing stubborn parts.
http://www.solidoodle.com/parts/parts-S … ton-square

You won't find a 21 cm roll anywhere, but I have seen 20 cm rolls on ebay (I think).

But +1 on the glass, it is superior to kapton in every way IMO.  Someone should make a video illustrating how to use hairspray to stick the glass bed stick to the aluminum covered with kapton.  It is one of the most common questions.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

mdrVB6 wrote:

You won't find a 21 cm roll anywhere, but I have seen 20 cm rolls on ebay (I think).

But +1 on the glass, it is superior to kapton in every way IMO.  Someone should make a video illustrating how to use hairspray to stick the glass bed stick to the aluminum covered with kapton.  It is one of the most common questions.

Is that a hint wink

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

mdrVB6 wrote:

You won't find a 21 cm roll anywhere

I don't need exactly 21. it can be 25 or 30 cm.

Also about the glass, what kind of glass and is there a way to detach the glass from the aluminum bed sheet for whatever reason after sticking them together?

Step 1.  Go have a piece of glass cut at the local hardware store that is the dimensions you want.
Step 2.  Go buy some Aqua-net extra super hold hairspray.
Step 3.  Clean off your print bed.
Step 4.  Spray a good thick wet coat on one side of the glass (the bottom) this will be the side that sticks to the bed.
Step 5.  Spray a light mist on the other side of the glass (the top) this is the side your print will stick to.
Step 6.  Lay the bottom side of the glass on your print bed. (do this while it's still wet)
Step 7.  Heat/Cool your bed at least 3 times.  This will stick it to the bed but is easily removed when needed.
Step 8.  Re-level your bed.
Step 9.  Re-adjust your Z-height.
Step 10.  Happy Printing

It's no Youtube video but it will have to do wink

a3393341 wrote:
mdrVB6 wrote:

You won't find a 21 cm roll anywhere

I don't need exactly 21. it can be 25 or 30 cm.

Also about the glass, what kind of glass and is there a way to detach the glass from the aluminum bed sheet for whatever reason after sticking them together?

I haven't seen 25 or 30 cm rolls anywhere either.  But if you go with the glass, it won't matter if their are small gaps or overlaps in your kapton since it will be under the glass.  The only downside is that there is not a good way to get the glass off without some BFI (brute force and ignorance).  I once got a piece off by accident when I printed an extremely well stuck gear piece.  It was stuck to the glass more than the glass was stuck to the aluminum so the glass came off instead of the piece.  I stuck it in the freezer and it loosened up.  I have also successfully gotten the glass off once by gently prying around the edges when the bed was heated up, but you have to be careful.  And, yes, I have broken some glass like this before.  But you can go hundreds of prints and months (years?) at a time with a single piece of glass without even being too careful.  Good luck.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

9 (edited by a3393341 2014-09-25 21:17:18)

mdrVB6 wrote:

I haven't seen 25 or 30 cm rolls anywhere either.

Ive seen one but they are out of stock.
Im pretty sure there are some for sale somewhere, where would Solidoodle get it themselves?

Im a bit cautious about using glass for the reasons you mentioned. I dont know how Ill get it off when needed for whatever reason (like breaking). Also arent there different quality glasses, which one should I go with?
Also never heard of that hair spray brand. Are you guys from US, any chance its only popular there?

Also wouldnt it be better to remove the kapton tape before adding a glass sheet to the bed since it will heat faster that way?

The glass will just pull right off.  I've been using the same piece for 1 1/2 years now.
Just cheap stuff from the hardware store. 
Then again I probably don't know what I am talking about but others here on the forum do...
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/160/glass-bed/
Been printing on glass since 2012
Printing on glass is not a new concept and is probably the most generally accepted method (due to its low cost and availability) to improve adhesion that I am aware of.
If you can't find that brand there is a particular chemical that you are looking for.  I just can't think of it right now but I am sure if you search a little bit you'll find it.
You might also check this out
http://www.soliwiki.com/Hairspray

I Bought a 12" X 12" square of .005" Kapton tape from McMaster Carr.
I have over 100hrs run time with no dings or tears.
I wipe with Acetone before each print and prints stick well.
I had gotten some tape off Amazon in the past and it was .005" including backing.

Ultimaker S3.