1 (edited by TickTock 2014-09-27 17:41:21)

Topic: SOLVED: Printing is slow

Solution: Don't leave the acceleration settings at 0.  1000mm/s seems to be working well for a stock SD4.

My printer is very slow.  Slower than other videos I see.  What I don't know is if those videos have tweaked their speeds to get those speeds.  I was hoping some kind soul could look at the vids and see if the speed is consistent with my setting (which I have not messed with so should be default)

My Slic3r (1.1.7) has the following settings:
perimeters:60 mm/s
small perimeters:20 mm/s
external eprimeters:40 mm/s
infill:60 mm/s
Travel:75 mm/s

And I have looked at the gcode and see feedrates of 3600 being sent for the segments being printed in the videos below.

Do these look right?  What could be causing the slow speeds?

Re: SOLVED: Printing is slow

Looks fine for the speeds you have set.

3 (edited by TickTock 2014-09-25 03:48:57)

Thanks for the confirmation.  So, is the ETA also bogus for you?  When I started that print it said ETA 2h:24m.  Now it is almost 3 hours later, it is on layer 43 of 115, and it says ETA 1h:47m.

Never seen an ETA on one of these machines that made any sense.
It's like a windows file copy dialog from 1999. wink

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

5 (edited by wire10ga 2014-09-25 17:32:45)

make sure you didn't turn your speed in RH down by accident. This will be a knob or slider in the G-code control window. Should be set at 100 for the speeds you sliced with. Below 100 will be slower and of course above will speed up the machine.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

grob wrote:

For me, RH is usually accurate to +/-3 seconds for time estimate.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

DePartedPrinter wrote:
grob wrote:

Wait.  What!?  I want more details on your setup.  I have an SD4 and besides pointing to the latest Slic3r version have not done much modding.  Original FW - just adjusted the filament diameter to get the right flow and changed the slice height to 0.25mm.  The last print estimated 2h:24m when it started but ended up taking 12h30m.  And no, it's not a matter of the leading "1" getting truncated, I've been monitoring it all day, and most of the day it way indicating 1h & change remaining.  Slic3r indicated the project would require 25000mm of filament when it created the gcode.  Is that consistent with a 12 hour print?  Just trying to figure out if it is just a problem with the ETA or if there is something wrong the the print speed.  (I do start with feed and flow at 100 and sometime tweak them up or down as necessary).

DePartedPrinter wrote:
grob wrote:

+1 usually very close to real time for me as well.  If a print pushes over the 4 hour (actual time) than it will be off by a few minutes.  Of course I tend to push the speed limits a little more than most.  Increasing the speed of none print moves can seriously reduce actual print times.  Of course your printer needs to be set up to handle this from a mechanical perspective.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I'd like to ask a favor.  Can someone who is seeing good ETA<-->actual print time correlation point me to an STL that they recently printed using Slic3r and tell me the time it took the print?  Also some details about your printer (speed for infll, perimeter, etc)?  I want to see what my ETA and print time is for the same object.  I am suspecting the ETA is the time it *should* take, but something is goofed up with my printer causing it to print ~3X slow.

TickTock wrote:

I'd like to ask a favor.  Can someone who is seeing good ETA<-->actual print time correlation point me to an STL that they recently printed using Slic3r and tell me the time it took the print?  Also some details about your printer (speed for infll, perimeter, etc)?  I want to see what my ETA and print time is for the same object.  I am suspecting the ETA is the time it *should* take, but something is goofed up with my printer causing it to print ~3X slow.

Would it be worth trying a different slicer, such as Cura?

Since it sounds like you're more or less in trial and error mode, if you get the same results with a different slicer, that might narrow it down to a problem with your printer, or rule it out if you don't.

You can download Cura here:

http://software.ultimaker.com/

OK.  I figured out the problem.  I made a test structure (a spiral with 2844mm of perimeter) and noticed that it always took 1m32s to do a loop whether set at 100mm/s or 50mm/s.  So the videos in the OP are about 1/3 the speed they should be.  I had left the acceleration at the defaults (0) assuming they would be replaced with something reasonable.  However, once I increase this to even 100 mm/s^2 I was timing 29 and 57s loops for the 100 and 50mm/s configurations.  At 1000mm/s^2 it almost perfectly matches the expected speed and the printer seems OK.  I am printing something more interesting now so we'll see if the prints turn out as good now that they are no longer printing at 1/3 speed.

Here are a couple videos of the printer at normal speed.  Only difference to the videos in the OP is the acceleration is set to 1000 mm/s^2 (was 0).

in RH slicer tab make sure the pull down menu for filament used is set to what your using. if not that is the problem

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

in RH slicer tab make sure the pull down menu for filament used is set to what your using. if not that is the problem

I already figured out my problem.  I had left the acceleration values at default of 0.  Apparently that makes it accelerate so slow it never reaches speed.  Once I changed it to 100 or 1000, my prints started printing full speed.

That makes sense especially since you are using honeycomb infill. If you had linear infill on, you would have been able to reach speed during infill and would not have had as much delay time during your prints.

Regardless, you found the source.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition